Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 4, 5 & 6 - PS4 & XBOX1

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I see people say that about Shiva all the time. Just give her the rifle and she uses feck all ammo then and is not in the way at all.

Tried that out at the weekend. That's a great tip. I might actually finish the game now.
    I love RE5, great single player when played like that. Kinda underrated RE game even though it sold extremely well. Of course I would have loved if they released the original version of RE5 instead. Stupid SJW's of the time. Racism, it's set in Africa, duh.

I can't imagine that the changes were anything more than cosmetic tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Resi 5, a white guy stumbling around shooting black folks.
    Capcom add a female African protagonist to improve the games profile, include the whitest looking girl ever, reminding most of little more than a palette change in her skin texture.
    And, yes, I'm aware that European and Mediterranean people live in Africa too.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

You could also easily say:

Resi 5, a horror game highlighting the exploitation of post colonial African states by multinational conglomerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Resi 5, a white guy stumbling around shooting black folks

Resi 1 had a white guy shooting white folks
    Resi 2 had a white guy shooting dogs
    Resi 3 had a white girl shooting men
    Resi CV had a white girl shooting men
    Resi 4 had a white guy shooting hispanic folks
    Resi Zero had a kind of vaguely foreign guy shooting scorpions
    Resi 5 had a white guy and some mixed race girl shooting black folks
    Resi 6 had an asian woman shooting all types of stuff
    Resi Rev1 had a hispanic guy shooting members of the united states former serving naval service

Of course people only like to look at the bit thats underlined :P

It's a Zombie game and you were playing a repeatedly returning character who's links go as far back as the very 1st game in the series.
    If you look for racism, you'll find it.

Frankly I find Resident Evil 3 to be extremely sexist as you cannot play as a male character :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cormac... wrote: »

Of course people only like to look at the bit thats underlined :rolleyes:

It's a Zombie game and you were playing a repeatedly returning character who's links go as far back as the very 1st game in the series.

If you look for racism, you'll find it.

Eh, if you read up on the development of RE5, after capcom showed RE5 for the first time all those years ago, (you can find the video on YouTube, prob under original resident Evil 5) the SJW's of the time has a conniption, as Chris was this big hulking white American dude killing black people, obviously the gaming world knew the story, the locals in RE5 had a new strain of Las Plagas from RE4. But no, the media shouted racism at the preview.

So capcom went back to the drawing board, added in the whitest black woman as a side kick, and added in a few white zombies to avoid criticism.

Basically the game was completely changed after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could also easily say:

Resi 5, a horror game highlighting the exploitation of post colonial African states by multinational conglomerates.

Could, but wouldn't :D

I would certainly raise the issue about zombie rights in the first game, very unfair indeed.
    latest?cb=20080703180147

Eh, if you read up on the development of RE5, after capcom showed RE5 for the first time all those years ago, (you can find the video on YouTube, prob under original resident Evil 5) the SJW's of the time has a conniption, as Chris was this big hulking white American dude killing black people, obviously the gaming world knew the story, the locals in RE5 had a new strain of Las Plagas from RE4. But no, the media shouted racism at the preview.

We're the gaming world here, and we're still on about this rubbish
    Basically the game was completely changed after that.

How? Adding in the co-op aspect? If anything that stands out a positive for that entry. The amount of "I enjoyed playing co-op in it" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cormac... wrote: »
    We're the gaming world here, and we're still on about this rubbish

How? Adding in the co-op aspect? If anything that stands out a positive for that entry. The amount of "I enjoyed playing co-op in it" etc.

The game without Sheva would have been very different. People hated/still do hate her in single player. (I like single player campaigns, it's what I expect from a lot of games)

Sure I just gave a tip up above on how to keep her busy on the game. Read up on it, it's all over the Internet for years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Capcom add a female African protagonist to improve the games profile, include the whitest looking girl ever, reminding most of little more than a palette change in her skin texture.
    And, yes, I'm aware that European and Mediterranean people live in Africa too.

This isn't fully the truth. There was uproar about it but it was quite close to the games release. Sheva was already fleshed out and had been shown at that point and the only change capcom made was to make the ratio of white to black zombies about 50:50. I've never seen or heard anything aout Sheva being changed for the game.

The game without Sheva would have been very different. People hated/still do hate her in single player. (I like single player campaigns, it's what I expect from a lot of games)

Sure I just gave a tip up above on how to keep her busy on the game. Read up on it, it's all over the Internet for years.

The Co-op thing was coming (Resi 4 kind of, and Resi Zero) and ended up staying (Resi 6 and Resi Rev kind of).
    I don't buy that Sheva was the hail mary by capcom that made it '"Stick".

I played the entirety of Resi 5 solo and I enjoyed it :)

Only bad memories were trying to manage the 2x 3x3 grids of inventory (i thought 4, although unrealistic, handled this better) and having to use health when she was nearby or something so it generated her health too (maybe that was 6). Also was there a weapon upgrade system? If so, it was pi$$ poor

I though 5 was a better game than 3.

There, I've said it, I finally said it *breaks down crying*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The question shouldn't have been 'is this racist?' (which would imply something actively insidious, which was clearly never the intention) and more 'how does the game engage with its loaded setting?'. Because it was loaded, much more so than the earlier entries in the series (not that the depictions of villagers in RE4 were particularly nuanced) - having a game where where a Western military fights African 'tribal savages' by its very existence places itself in a complex sociological and historical context. To ignore them is problematic. Not that this is unique to RE5 - every military shooter set in an unnamed Middle Eastern country shares similar issues. Given Resident Evil's storytelling quality ranges from 'poor' to 'hahahhah' it was never going to be the game to tackle them substantially :pac: (although my main recollections from Resi 5 are just it being substantially blander and less interesting gameplay wise than its predecessor)

Obviously proper discussion of the issues was lost in the 'omg racism' outrage reporting. But there was some - this academic essay looks at the content of the game in a wider context (warning: academia approaching! Proceed cautiously): http://www.digra.org/wp-content/uploads/digital-library/11312.58174.pdf

Or, as Dan Whitehead put it (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/resident-evil-5-hands-on-chapter1to3?page=3):
    There will be plenty of people who refuse to see anything untoward in this material. "It wasn't racist when the enemies were Spanish in Resident Evil 4," goes the argument, but then the Spanish don't have the baggage of being stereotyped as subhuman animals for the past two hundred years. It's perfectly possible to use Africa as the setting for a powerful and troubling horror story, but when you're applying the concept of people being turned into savage monsters onto an actual ethnic group that has long been misrepresented as savage monsters, it's hard to see how elements of race weren't going to be a factor.

All it will take is for one mainstream media outlet to show the heroic Chris Redfield stamping on the face of a black woman, splattering her skull, and the controversy over Manhunt 2 will seem quaint by comparison. If we're going to accept this sort of imagery in games then questions are going be asked, these questions will have merit, and we're going to need a more convincing answer than "lol it's just a game."

Does not seeing it as racist make me racist? :confused:

Like, I appreciate I can be viewed as racist. But I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt that it never intended to be.
    And intent matters in matters of racial offense
    If we're going to accept this sort of imagery in games then questions are going be asked, these questions will have merit, and we're going to need a more convincing answer than "lol it's just a game."

LspJZzv.jpg?1
    In RE5, Jill is revealed to have been enslaved by Westker, the primary antagonist and kept in a zombied state (see figure 6). Jill‘s reappearance is significant since she is the only character that is restored from the controlling parasite, and does not need to be killed. Like the woman in White Zombie she is not held accountable for her actions when infected because Jill, like the Western woman in White Zombie is, although also essentially generic, assumed to be generically good.

Or....... because she's like one of the main characters in the series full stop! :D

Let's be the change we want to see!

The question shouldn't have been 'is this racist?' (which would imply something actively insidious, which was clearly never the intention) and more 'how does the game engage with its loaded setting?'. Because it was loaded, much more so than the earlier entries in the series (not that the depictions of villagers in RE4 were particularly nuanced) - having a game where where a Western military fights African 'tribal savages' by its very existence places itself in a complex sociological and historical context. To ignore them is problematic. Not that this is unique to RE5 - every military shooter set in an unnamed Middle Eastern country shares similar issues. Given Resident Evil's storytelling quality ranges from 'poor' to 'hahahhah' it was never going to be the game to tackle them substantially :pac: (although my main recollections from Resi 5 are just it being substantially blander and less interesting gameplay wise than its predecessor)

Obviously proper discussion of the issues was lost in the 'omg racism' outrage reporting. But there was some - this academic essay looks at the content of the game in a wider context (warning: academia approaching! Proceed cautiously): http://www.digra.org/wp-content/uploads/digital-library/11312.58174.pdf

Or, as Dan Whitehead put it (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/resident-evil-5-hands-on-chapter1to3?page=3):

Here is an interesting analysis about it by Glenn Bowman, Senior Lecturer at the Department of Anthropology at the University of Kent, Canterbury.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/resident_evil_5/news/exclusive_expert_delivers_verdict_on_resi_5_racism_row.html
    I would like to set up as a counter-thematic, there's a very interesting anti-colonial thematic running through it. This whole idea of the victimisation of Africa by pharmaceutical companies, by terrorist groups, all of whom seem to be run by white characters who are coming in and exploiting people. There's the diary left behind by the kid who's eventually infected (found on a table in the Native Village section), which points out very clearly that in the past the colonials came in and exploited the local people, ripped them off of stuff, damaged them. He says that maybe they came back to give us this immunisation because they felt guilty. There's something quite interesting going on with that. The fact that they actually came back to screw them up once again and infect them with this virus or disease, seems to me to be far more damning of the colonial powers towards Africa than it says anything about whether or not blacks are some sort of savages. The blacks here are clearly being set up as victims, alterity, frightening. Yes there are themes you can say might be somewhat racist but you know that's also about making you scared.

Basically if you want to make a frightening scene you take whatever characteristics of that scene are salient and turn them align. So you get vicious Spaniards who I suspect are running around with knives or whatever. Here you get infected Africans. Maybe they'll make the next game happen in Finland and you'll have a whole series of Inuits and the like being really scary and running around with Walrus heads on. I think it's silly to call it racist.

Another interesting article where a person who had initially written it off as racist because of the trailer, changes their mind when playing the game:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2459022/how-my-opinion-about-race-in-resident-evil-5-has-changed/
    Watching the trailer again, it still made me feel uneasy. I still didn’t like the fantasy it portrayed. I still didn’t like how it set Chris against an Africa that looked like a horrid and inhuman place.

In the game, however, I saw something different. The white vs. black racial dichotomy was gone. The infected people looked infected. The characters who once looked like poor Africans whom I didn’t want to shoot now looked like undead menaces I needed to stop to stay alive.

I don’t know if I have changed. I don’t think I have. But what I’ve seen of the game has changed. The game gives a different feeling than the trailer. It uses race and color differently. That’s worth more discussion, and I hope people will engage with it.

I guess people will see what they want to see in it.

There's a sale on Resident Evil games on the store and I'm thinking off picking up Resident Evil 4 again (if I can get over the racist portrayal of Spaniards) but they're also selling it in a bundle with Code: Veronica X. Is that worth picking up or will I just stick with RE4 by itself?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    :confused:

It was a bad joke…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It was a bad joke…

We don't know they are Spanish. All we know is that it's "somewhere in Europe". Where they speak Spanish.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We don't know they are Spanish. All we know is that it's "somewhere in Europe". Where they speak Spanish.

Oh, God. So have I been unintentionally racist by calling them Spaniards even though I'm not sure of their nationality? I better give out about myself on Twitter…

I played through RE5 last week and finished it at the weekend. Not earth shattering but a nice romp through apart from some pretty horrible controls and I felt that it dragged at times. The story is absolute pants. I can't say I had any real issue with Sheva in it. I preferred the two revelations games, particularly the first one, more than 5 I think. I'm going to get stuck into 6 and maybe revisit 4 after that. I'll let you know how I got on.

This thread prompted me to finish off the RE5 and RE6 campaigns that I had bought cheap. RE5 wasn't bad going and it was a pretty enjoyable if preposterous ride that ticked along pretty swiftly and didn't lull too much. I'm halfway through RE6, having finished Jake and Leon's campaigns, and it really is a mess. The QTEs are terrible, the constant cutscenes are ruining any hope of flow to the game and while the introduction of the melee was a nice idea, it is handled so poorly that it gets very annoying very quickly. Sticking skill points in crates is really silly and the boss fights are pretty perplexing as half the time you have little to no idea what you're meant to be doing to try and defeat them and it seems to be based on how many bullets you plough into them. I thought that maybe there was a game in there that was ripe for appraisal and that it wasn't as bad as people made out but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'll end up finishing it though because I'm a sad act…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is a pity 4 is coming last, have no interest in ever playing 5 and 6 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

6 is the worst Resi in the main series by far. They flung a load of sh*te at a wall and hoped some of it would stick.

Leon's campaign was meant to please die hard RE fans. I'll admit his campaign starts off quite nicely, but once that school bus crashes and you start making your way to the church etc it goes downhill, massively downhill.

Chris campaign was obviously meant to please COD players for some reason. Worst one of the lot, bonkers that this went through play testing and still seemed like a good idea.

Don't know who they were aiming at with Jake's campaign. Trying to recreate the nemesis magic but it didn't work at all. Oh and let's bring Sherry back for no real reason other than RE fans might like it. I actually don't mind that Sherry decision too much, it bothers me more that they keep introducing pointless one off companions in each new installment.

Not sure what the point of this post was meant to be really, just getting my thoughts on RE6 on the interwebs if nothing else.

• I like 5 & 6

There I said it, great coop fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I wanna see Chris punch a next-gen boulder.

• RE6 released on Consoles today.

1080p / 60fps confirmed bu Capcom

Advertisement