Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this look like a sound calculation

• 25-02-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Mad Lad mentioned in another thread that he averages 17.5 KW per 100KM.

Actual mileage 7077 miles = 11323km. Leaf averages 17.5kw per 100km, so 11323/100*17.5=1980KW for that distance. 1980 @ €0.0844 = €167 (night rate). 1980 @ €0.1762 = €348 (day rate).

Actual cost of petrol was a little under €1300, which puts the car in the very thirsty bracket, not helped by lots of traffic and short journeys.

That leaves us with a €900 to €1100 saving on last years mileage. This years will be a lot higher as wifey is back in work and commuting again.

Comments

Sounds good. The calculation probably doesn't include the charging inefficiencies, add another 10 percent on top.

And if you are like me you'll end up driving twice as much as you expect due to Leaf being so pleasant vehicle to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭oinkely

samih wrote: »
    And if you are like me you'll end up driving twice as much as you expect due to Leaf being so pleasant vehicle to drive.

That seems to be the consensus alright. I'll be fighting with my wife over who gets the van and who gets the leaf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

oinkely wrote: »
    That seems to be the consensus alright. I'll be fighting with my wife over who gets the van and who gets the leaf!

I have that exact problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

That leaves us with a €900 to €1100 saving on last years mileage. This years will be a lot higher as wifey is back in work and commuting again.

Add in possible road tax savings, less servicing maybe no NTC costs?

On the negative side factor in the cost of coffee & buns while you wait for the car to charge at FC! :D

Public charging fees are going to come in in the near future so that will eat into your saving and depending on where petrol prices go that could be positive or negative for you.

Yes I forgot to add 10% on to my calculations for charger consumption. It's about 90% efficient.

I welcome paying for charger use because it will free up chargers because the leechers will charge at home instead if it costs more to charge at a public point.

I would hope the AC points continue to be free for some time.

The Government needs to start funding charger installation because they have paid nothing so far and the ESB has more than keep their end of the agreement by installing all these charge points and so it's time to contribute. One way they could achieve this is by subsidizing charging fees but that won't address the root cause of leeching so I would much rather pay for the electricity and have more chargers and not have to queue because some ass won't use their home charge point.

I have also pleaded with the ESB not to abandon the AC point installation which for now they have , they installed 3 phase chargers because Renault and Nissan had insisted this was the way they were heading but so far Nissan has only included a 6.6 kw AC charger max.

A lot pf people completely underestimate the value of AC charging and think faster is better but it isn't if you have to wait all the time at fast chargers. Even at 6.6 Kw you can get a decent charge in an hour at worst it will limit the amount of time needed at a fast charger.

All on my week off shift I've used only the AC points while running errands around Carlow Town and Athy and I wouldn't be without it especially now when charge times increase due to the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

We are a one car house, so I'm basing my calculations simply on what I used to spend monthly on diesel compared to what I currently spend on electricity. Plus lower tax and insurance costs.

Of course the price of diesel has come down a fair bit since I was last buying it but I'm still saving around €2200 a year.

Thanks all,

Tax saving is €265 a year also, and insurance is €40 cheaper than her current car policy. And her current bus is NCT'd every year, so another small saving there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Thanks all,

Tax saving is €265 a year also, and insurance is €40 cheaper than her current car policy. And her current bus is NCT'd every year, so another small saving there.

From what I have read it's roughly 20kw/100km average ( heating on in winter/radio/lights etc )

Using your night rate of 9 cent unit it's 1.80e/100km

Very cheap indeed if you can charge at home all the time

A good diesel at current prices is like 5e/100km

Good petrol 7e/100km

If it's just money your trying to save I don't see how buying a new car is going to save you money though.

Your current car is over 10 years old I take it, so you will be spending 20k to change to an electric car?

I wouldn't mind going EV either but reading the 2016 30kw Leaf roundtrip from Galway to Dublin thread here had me shocked how far we still have to go.

Driving 100kmh ( speed limit is 120kmh ) and having to charge 4 times ( over 2 hours wasted, time is money ) only getting 130km range ( with heating, lights, essentials on )

I don't how you feel but for nearly 30k euro I would expect more than 75 minute driving @ 120kmh.

I will buy when it's treble that and at a lower price point, 25k euro tops for a leaf category car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I was being much too generous with range it seems

So you can drive for an hour @ 120kmh in our climate.

Which is grand for a lot of people, so I shouldn't be complaining.

Yea, the current crop of Leaf etc. can be a bit limited in range at motorway speeds. However, I find ours to work really well for other types of trips. For example this weekend on my 24 kWh Leaf:

On Saturday drove 50ish km to just past Sally Gap in Wicklow where we went hiking for a few hours. After coming back to the car it almost instantly heated in the cold weather. Starting to drive down from the mountains I noticed that I had 47 percent of battery left. After the regenerative braking we reached the foot of the hills with considerably more charge remaining. After 95 odd km there was still about 1/3 of battery left so were able to do a 20 km return trip to shops etc without even hitting a low battery warning. Plugged in the car for the night.

Yesterday we drove to Westmeath for a visit to the Mullaghmeen forest. The trip there was about 80 km using "eco" route which resulted car still reporting a range of 64 km upon arrival. When finished the walk we felt hungry so I checked for nearby charging stations. We ended up driving to Kells, Co. Meath. While having an excellent lunch the car had already charged back to 72 percent and we made the 50 km journey back home with plenty of range left (this time over 1/3 of battery remaining).

Total fuel cost of the weekend: Probably around €3. Total waiting time: 0 minutes.

• Advertisement

thierry14 wrote: »
    From what I have read it's roughly 20kw/100km average ( heating on in winter/radio/lights etc )

Using your night rate of 9 cent unit it's 1.80e/100km

Very cheap indeed if you can charge at home all the time

A good diesel at current prices is like 5e/100km

Good petrol 7e/100km

If it's just money your trying to save I don't see how buying a new car is going to save you money though.

Your current car is over 10 years old I take it, so you will be spending 20k to change to an electric car?

I wouldn't mind going EV either but reading the 2016 30kw Leaf roundtrip from Galway to Dublin thread here had me shocked how far we still have to go.

Driving 100kmh ( speed limit is 120kmh ) and having to charge 4 times ( over 2 hours wasted, time is money ) only getting 130km range ( with heating, lights, essentials on )

I don't how you feel but for nearly 30k euro I would expect more than 75 minute driving @ 120kmh.

I will buy when it's treble that and at a lower price point, 25k euro tops for a leaf category car.

Defo not buying new Thierry, can't afford its and no desire to tie up that sort of money in a rapidly depreciating asset. The current car is a 2002 and is still going well. I can see the sense in changing to electric for the type of driving we use that car for. In the past two years it has been more than 50km from our house twice, and on both occasions my wife could have used my van instead.

For the cost of getting ourselves a 2014 Leaf we would be at best in a 2012 similar size family hatchback, most likely with mid to high mileage and the selection in petrol is abysmal. Given the amount of short trips this car does I would be steering well clear of any modern diesel.

Fully appreciate that the technology is not good enough for everyone at this stage, but if it suits your needs and with the potential savings over an ICE vehicle then I can see the benefits for some people, us included.

Here's my efficiency for 2015, missing about 2,500 Kms before I got carwings working, so this is not some Mad_Lad made up efficiency like some people think, this is straight from the horses mouth !

This is the Average so bear in mind some trips will consume more and some less.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%2015.03.53.png

Advertisement