Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitbit

• 25-02-2016 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

So I'm thinking of getting a fitbit (all I really want it for is as a glorified pedometer, but I just think wearing it on my wrist would be good for me from a motivational point of view, as I'd be looking at it constantly.

Is there a basic model that would suit me? Or am I being nuts and should just go for something cheaper?

Also, I've heard you can set it up to buzz when you hit 10,000 steps - is this right? I think a little "reward" like this would help me make sure I hit it.

I'm currently loosely using the health app on my iphone but I'm terrible for not always having it on my person and therefore my results arent that accurate.

Its saying at the moment that I'm averaging about 5000 steps per day, so I've a good bit of room for improvement!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Some people in my job have Fitbits and they LOVE them.

I wanted something similar but due to various contact allergies and the knowledge that I might get bored with it quickly I decided to go a lot cheaper and I got a MisFit - no metal at all in the bracelet so no allergies yet! Only 25 quid on Amazon too and lots of different colours.

The sleep tracking is excellent as is the activity tracking. Its waterproof and you can choose to clip on or wear a bracelet.

I would recommend it particularly if you just want to dip your toe and not spend a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Some people in my job have Fitbits and they LOVE them.

I wanted something similar but due to various contact allergies and the knowledge that I might get bored with it quickly I decided to go a lot cheaper and I got a MisFit - no metal at all in the bracelet so no allergies yet! Only 25 quid on Amazon too and lots of different colours.

The sleep tracking is excellent as is the activity tracking. Its waterproof and you can choose to clip on or wear a bracelet.

I would recommend it particularly if you just want to dip your toe and not spend a lot.

Thanks, I'll definitly look into that! I think I just want something on my wrist so i can see if and won't forget to wear it, but it doesnt need to be a Fitbit really, as I'm sure most of the functionality would be wasted on me!

Is there an app for the MisFit?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Why don't you just install an app that can do all the counting for you?

I use Pacer (Android but I'm sure there's something similar for Apple) and it's the most useful app out of all I use.
    It counts all your steps throughout the day and shows you how many km you've walked.
    Plus how many calories you've burned that day.

A little msg pops up first when you reach 6000 steps and then next one when you're over 10 000.
    Nice enough reward for me!

With this I easily reach 10 000 every single day.

Yes, theres an app.

The screen of the MisFit itself is quite basic, its like a big button that when you press it shows you how much of your activity you have achieved so far that day.

You then sync it with the app for more detail.

I dont carry my phone with me most of the time so I needed something that would be on my person.

Plus I really wanted the sleep tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I use Pacer (Android but I'm sure there's something similar for Apple) and it's the most useful app out of all I use.
    It counts all your steps throughout the day and shows you how many km you've walked.
    Plus how many calories you've burned that day.

A little msg pops up first when you reach 6000 steps and then next one when you're over 10 000.
    Nice enough reward for me!

With this I easily reach 10 000 every single day.

Thanks FG.

I downloaded a specic app previously, but as I said above, it wasnt that accurate because I tend to leave my phone down sometimes - so I think something attached to me would work better for me personally.

I also found the app I used on my phone drained my battery, but that could have just been the app, there are probably better out there.

Thanks FG.

I downloaded a specic app previously, but as I said above, it wasnt that accurate because I tend to leave my phone down sometimes - so I think something attached to me would work better for me personally.

I also found the app I used on my phone drained my battery, but that could have just been the app, there are probably better out there.

Welcome.

I see. Just thought it's handy enough cuz all you have to do is put it in your pocket and it does all the work for you.

I just love the app so couldn't help myself and had to advertise, haha!

I see. Just thought it's handy enough cuz all you have to do is put it in your pocket and it does all the work for you.!

I often dont have a pocket.

When Im in work my phone is on my desk.
    When Im at home its on the table.

It only walks around with me in a handbag when Im out shopping or something. I even go for a walk at lunchtime and dont bring it.

Google Fit is pretty excellent, IMHO. It doesn't track your heart rate, but it does track how long you walk, how far, gives you goals based on these.

I often dont have a pocket.

When Im in work my phone is on my desk. When Im at home its on the table.

It only walks around with me in a handbag when Im out shopping or something. I even go for a walk at lunchtime and dont bring it.

Well, the handbag works, too!

I know what you mean, my phone is also on the table when at home but that's when I'm sitting down.
    Just thought the OP was specifically asking about the pedometer type of device that would be mainly aimed at tracking your steps.

If you're after more advanced piece of technology then go with the watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Fitbit Zip 79.49 in argos.

Small and discreet - wear in your pocket, on belt or bra.

I have the Fitbit One. is 112.49ish

Has a special clips for your bra, and has a sleep bracelet thingy if you want to use it to record your sleep.

Has a really good app for Android and iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SteM

I have a fitbit charge. Love the vibration alarm on it, means I can get up in the morning without waking the missus. Like others have said, I don't always have or want my phone on me to count steps. The design is crap though. I bought mine in January 2015, it fell apart in July 2015 and was replaced, that one fell apart in December and was replaced. I don't get it wet or anything, but it's all-in-one design is awful imo.

I've only had the MisFit a few weeks but a lit of online reviews say the bracelet falls apart in no time. But for 25 quid I reckoned I didn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Has anyone here tried the Misfit Speedo tracker? I swim a lot, and I was also looking into getting something like a Fitbit or Misfit, but I am aware that you can't really use them in the pool. I would be interested in counting steps, as well as tracking sleep, heart rate etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I had a fitbit 18 months ago, was annoyed with the battery life and the lack of sync with the phone i had , long story short the battery was faulty so brought it back to argos.

My mate bought one of these ( http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/accessories/sony-smartband-talk-black ) for his wife, picked it up on adverts brand new in box for 50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I have a Fitbit Surge, Excellent but im going to sell up to get the Fitbit Blaze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Folks sorry to bring up a zombie thread. But thought it would be better than making a new thread.

AVOID the fitbit. There are huge issues with the watches causing rashes on peoples wrists. The company line was utter tripe it essentially said it was a minority of users who were not used to wearing a watch or didn't wash themselves properly.

I wear a watch as a rule (so much so that even if one ran out of battery I'd wear it as I'd feel naked otherwise!). I have done so for nearly 20 years. I'm a diver and soldier so have worn watches and wrist mounted consoles in many different environments and have never had this problem before or even heard of so many people having the same issue.

Further sources:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31438706
    https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Getting-a-rash/td-p/620111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

"AVOID the fitbit" is a bit much.

I've had one since Christmas and the only time I got any kind of skin irritation was when I had it on too tight.

I loosened it up a notch and it's been grand ever since.

Some people are more prone to skin irritation.

I deliberately went for a Misfit Flash because there is no exposed metal anywhere on the device or strap, I couldnt have any metal touching me or I'd be a rash. Also it has a clip on option so even if the rubber strap bothered me I could use the clip.

I know loads of people in work with FitBits and no rash issues.

If I got one I wouldn't be blaming FitBit, I'd be blaming my crappy sensitive skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have Fitbit HR for about 6 months, no rash. So its pretty unfair to say AVOID!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

smurfjed wrote: »
    Have Fitbit HR for about 6 months, no rash. So its pretty unfair to say AVOID!

I've worn mine almost everyday for 3 months and no rash on me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know some of you have experience with them but did you not read the links!!!one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Is there anywhere that's especially good for picking up a Fitbit a bit cheaper? I've looked on Amazon & the cheapest Flex is £60 sterling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Worn my fitbit charge ever day since last August and no rash.

You have to love the internet though. On a thread entitled Fitbit, there are three posts advising the OP buy a clone and one user telling users to avoid a Fitbit at all costs.

Personally I love my FB charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I have 2 fitbit Surges going cheap if any of you are interested pm me Size L & S

we are upgrading to Fitbit blazes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I have the Flex and find it really good , no complaints from me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I have the Charge and have been wearing it for 9 months, no skin problems and I can't wear cheap jewellery

Love the fitbit, the support team have been great also for any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Essien wrote: »
    "AVOID the fitbit" is a bit much.

I've had one since Christmas and the only time I got any kind of skin irritation was when I had it on too tight.

I loosened it up a notch and it's been grand ever since.
    syklops wrote: »
    You have to love the internet though. On a thread entitled Fitbit, there are three posts advising the OP buy a clone and one user telling users to avoid a Fitbit at all costs.

A very large % of customers have experienced it so much so that the company are offering unconditional refunds to all customers. It's been reported on BBC, Forbes and various other reputable sites. So I'd hardly say I'm one single user.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2015/04/27/fitbit-still-plagued-with-skin-irritation-complaints/#556f5775487b
    Some people are more prone to skin irritation......I know loads of people in work with FitBits and no rash issues.

If I got one I wouldn't be blaming FitBit, I'd be blaming my crappy sensitive skin.

Unfortunately I cant say the same, I'm usually like leather. I've never had so much as an acne outbreak never mind an allergic skin reaction, yet it had a notable effect on me. So based on my personal experience and from what I've seen after researching online, I would still say avoid the Surge, there is cheaper as effective options with no potential side effects.

Further to this I also wasn't overly impressed by the watch itself. Whilst I found the touch screen easy to use and convenient when running, it had a few annoying traits like no having no lock function which meant that your back light would come on in the middle of the night etc

The GPS was quite accurate and convenient. But I was not impressed with the pedometer or accuracy of the HR monitor (there's plenty of reviews online that cover this). When compared to other watches I've used (Garmin Tactix and a Suunto)

The app was quite handy in fairness, particularly for goal tracking and readouts / alerts to be synced with your watch.

However there are apps out there for free which do the job as effectively. For example the Galaxy S-Health app is fantastic and quite accurate. If you purchase a HR monitor (Under €50) and sync it to the App. You effectively have the same set up for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I recently got the charge HR as needed a distraction as can't do any exercise of late. It has worked as I enjoy the sleep tracking and used the food log to great success. I read to take it with a pinch of salt that it won't track like a Garmin but I enjoy it. I always used S health for steps but it's good for me at the minute to have a constant step and sleep tracker. Food log has a huge database and easy to add to. No allergies to watch. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BigDuffman wrote: »
    A very large % of customers have experienced it so much so that the company are offering unconditional refunds to all customers. It's been reported on BBC, Forbes and various other reputable sites. So I'd hardly say I'm one single user.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2015/04/27/fitbit-still-plagued-with-skin-irritation-complaints/#556f5775487b

I wasn't denying it happened. When I said a single user I meant a single poster on this thread, not a single user of the FitBit.

Advertisement