Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Sandwiches....the pitfalls

Options
  • 25-02-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I own a small convenience shop and petrol station. We have no need for a full Deli but we do a small trade in prepacked sandwiches. Not much profit to be made but it hangs onto a steady stream of people at lunch times.

Now we have run into a problem as our main supplier of prepacked sandwiches has stopped the "sale or return" policy they were running. This rules out all viability for us.

I am trying to gather information as to what I would need to do in order to make the sandwiches on site and prepack them ourselves.

We have a full closed off deli (stainless steel counters, sinks ect.) which is out of use for a number of years but still perfectly usable.

The hygiene end of things, I am happy with. FSAI are fairly clear on all of this. Where I am unclear is the labeling side of things including allergy and content. How do I go about making sure things are labelled correctly? Can I base it off by packet ingredients, add it together and put it on a label?

Any help at all is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Are you part of a group - Musgrave, BWG, Other? if so I am sure they can give you all the advice you need.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Hi,

I own a small convenience shop and petrol station. We have no need for a full Deli but we do a small trade in prepacked sandwiches. Not much profit to be made but it hangs onto a steady stream of people at lunch times.

Now we have run into a problem as our main supplier of prepacked sandwiches has stopped the "sale or return" policy they were running. This rules out all viability for us.

I am trying to gather information as to what I would need to do in order to make the sandwiches on site and prepack them ourselves.

We have a full closed off deli (stainless steel counters, sinks ect.) which is out of use for a number of years but still perfectly usable.

The hygiene end of things, I am happy with. FSAI are fairly clear on all of this. Where I am unclear is the labeling side of things including allergy and content. How do I go about making sure things are labelled correctly? Can I base it off by packet ingredients, add it together and put it on a label?

Any help at all is appreciated.

The fsai have a direction booklet with regard to EU legislation to allergen alerts and food labelling, if you contact your local EHO they'll supply it to you and also issue direction as to what they expect for facilities for your food prep area. Best to get that direction first, as they've final say on everything

Advertisement