Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why will Tipperary people elect Michael Lowry?

Options
  • 25-02-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

It puzzles me. He is regarded by every other political party as a pariah and they do their utmost to even avoid his support. He has been discredited by numerous courts and tribunals.

Nationally he is hated and seen as probably the most corrupt politician of the modern era. Yet tomorrow the good people of Tipperary will probably give him the highest amount of first preference votes in the country.

I can see the attraction of the Healy-Raes in Kerry or Wallace in Wexford as quasi protest votes against the establishment but a huge amount of Lowry votes will come from conservative dyed in the wool Fine Gaelers who would ordinarily never contemplate voting for a seemingly corrupt tax cheat.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Votes in some regions never cease to amaze. You have nailed the unorthodox candidates likely in our Dail..... its crazy to anyone outside their area.
    Wallace admitted incorrectly completing a VAT Return to get refund... If we included a hedge margin in a Single Farm Payment Return we would loose our entitlements..... He gets to be a Politician... only in the Emerald Isle!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Before now Tipperary was divided into North and South, I can't see him getting any votes from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought Will Smith played him perfectly in bad boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

He fixes the roads, and follows up on peoples problems when contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Seemingly great following in the south, tbh Lowry is likeable and approachable, Kelly would turn his nose up at you on the street, if he gets in I'll be dumb founded, I'll be giving Matty McGrath a vote just in case Kelly gets in McGrath will keep on slagging him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

veetwin wrote: »
    It puzzles me. He is regarded by every other political party as a pariah and they do their utmost to even avoid his support who is avoiding him, the people that were there with him through it or the people that did nothing to stop it . He has been discredited by numerous courts and tribunals. but still haven't nailed anything on him only giving false info

Nationally he is hated and singled out and seen as probably the most corrupt politician of the modern era to be found out . Yet tomorrow the good people of Tipperary will probably give him the highest amount of first preference votes in the country. hopefully

I can see the attraction of the Healy-Raes in Kerry or Wallace in Wexford as quasi protest votes against the establishment but a huge amount of Lowry votes will come from conservative dyed in the wool Fine Gaelers who would ordinarily never contemplate voting for a seemingly corrupt tax cheat. there is no body else in Tipp to vote for , the rest are a waste of time[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

skintiam wrote: »
    Before now Tipperary was divided into North and South, I can't see him getting any votes from the south.

the thing about Lowry is that he doesn't care where you live, if he can help he will.

he has done a lot of work in south Tipp.
    I would say he has done a lot more for the south than anyone in the south has done in the north. I haven't even heard of most of them blow ins:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Its interesting to see the candidates that have topped the Polls in many counties; Healy Raw X2, Lowry and even Wallace... not your conventional TDs and yet they top the polls. Fair play to Lowry if he is delivering his constituents, those outside his area find it difficult to understand I can tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Two threads now open about Mr Lowry. Can we possibly merge them pliss?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

skintiam wrote: »

Lowry would get enough votes for the people of Tipperary to elect 3 lowest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

If that's your deduction, you obviously have no idea about either the Healy-Rae's, Mick Wallace or indeed Lowry! The simple fact is that the Healy-Raes fulfill their promises to their voters. Their clever politicking has delivered first class infrastructure in Kerry. Hospitals, roads etc are in great condition. Similarly Lowry has delivered a lot in North Tipp again by clever politicking and having successive governments by the balls.
    Mick Wallace is slightly different in that he has done a lot for Wexford prior to entering politics. He employed a lot of Wexford people and was a good payer, his family still employ a lot of Wexford people and are well respected business people. He set up the very successful Wexford Youths soccer club and poured a lot of his own money into it.
    In short, unlike most of the establishment party politicians in the Dail, these guys have a strong record of delivery and people like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

If that's your deduction, you obviously have no idea about either the Healy-Rae's, Mick Wallace or indeed Lowry! The simple fact is that the Healy-Raes fulfill their promises to their voters. Their clever politicking has delivered first class infrastructure in Kerry. Hospitals, roads etc are in great condition. Similarly Lowry has delivered a lot in North Tipp again by clever politicking and having successive governments by the balls.
    Mick Wallace is slightly different in that he has done a lot for Wexford prior to entering politics. He employed a lot of Wexford people and was a good payer, his family still employ a lot of Wexford people and are well respected business people. He set up the very successful Wexford Youths soccer club and poured a lot of his own money into it.
    In short, unlike most of the establishment party politicians in the Dail, these guys have a strong record of delivery and people like that.

Likewise could be said 4 mattie McGrath in Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Da Boss wrote: »
    Likewise could be said 4 mattie McGrath in Tipperary

Thing is though that Mattie has secured NOTHING for Tipperary yet ( despite what he will tell you)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I don't know about ye lads but I drive the roads of Kerry regularly and they don't seem to be hugely better than those of surrounding counties. Same can be said for the hospitals.

What I can say is that these boys clever politicking has resulted in their own pockets being well lined long before their constituents are considered.

My point was that voters in these constituencies seem quite happy to ignore blatant corruption, cronyism and tax evasion in return for a TD who delivers a better parish pump.

In other jurisdictions Wallace and Lowry would be spending their time behind bars. Here we elect them again and again:mad:

veetwin wrote: »
    It puzzles me. He is regarded by every other political party as a pariah and they do their utmost to even avoid his support. He has been discredited by numerous courts and tribunals.

Nationally he is hated and seen as probably the most corrupt politician of the modern era. Yet tomorrow the good people of Tipperary will probably give him the highest amount of first preference votes in the country.

I can see the attraction of the Healy-Raes in Kerry or Wallace in Wexford as quasi protest votes against the establishment but a huge amount of Lowry votes will come from conservative dyed in the wool Fine Gaelers who would ordinarily never contemplate voting for a seemingly corrupt tax cheat.

Didnt he race to the local radio last year,with the news of the hospital hotel,that was supposed to solve all the STGH problems..and was supposed to be up and running towards the end of last year,,He is like them all..good for a photo and a sound bite..The fact is,no TD can get you what you are not entitled to...I know of a man who got a house last year..two TDs called to say they got it for him..

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Chakra  Blue has it spot on..Lowry and his "team" are pros at getting people to think that they have worked miracles in getting something sorted out for them..often it is as simple as form filling as some people can't be arsed to do it.
    He manages to make it look as if he has done lots of work, in reality has done little, but is there to bask in the reflected glory of those who do the work..I have direct knowledge of where he claimed a project as largely his work where in reality volunteers did all the work and he got involved towards the end and then claimed much of the credit.
    I've also heard that if you are not on the electoral register you will get little "help" from Lowry...
    The sooner he is gone from the scene the better although I won't be holding my breath.

I don't think I could vote for any of the 5 at this stage...Hopefully some more people will put themselves forward by the time the next election comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

mikep wrote: »
    Chakra  Blue has it spot on..Lowry and his "team" are pros at getting people to think that they have worked miracles in getting something sorted out for them..often it is as simple as form filling as some people can't be arsed to do it.
    He manages to make it look as if he has done lots of work, in reality has done little, but is there to bask in the reflected glory of those who do the work..I have direct knowledge of where he claimed a project as largely his work where in reality volunteers did all the work and he got involved towards the end and then claimed much of the credit.
    I've also heard that if you are not on the electoral register you will get little "help" from Lowry...
    The sooner he is gone from the scene the better although I won't be holding my breath.

You have just described every single politician in the country, the successful ones at least.

Sadly danganabu, I think you are probably right..no sign of any credible alternatives either..

Advertisement