Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City to Shanbally commute

• 25-02-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Having a very hard time finding a place to live in the usual places at the moment (douglas, rochestown etc). was wondering how long it takes ye to get to get out there in the mornings
    I expect it to be dire but there seems to be more availability in the centre right now for 2bed apts/houses.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I assume you're driving? Head towards carrigaline and take the roundabout to the city and it will take 30 mins to an hour eaving at 8, do the sensible thing and leave alot earlier and you're there in 20 mins, grab a coffee in town and read the paper while looking at the traffic build up! (Lived in passage for years and always left early out of utter disdain for traffic!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Thats great etoughguy but I was wondering about the other way..city to shanbally.
    Theres a lot more accommodation in the city at the moment and living in a B&B gets very old very quickly!

What time ya leaving town and how are you going to get there?

Will be driving, and can start work anytime between 7.30 and 9

If it was me I would go in early and head early, the link can gets nuts at times from 5 on, that being said its nowhere as bad as it was before the fly overs were built. You can take the Douglas exit or head to Carrigaline and take the left turn towards Ringaskiddy

• Advertisement

So if I was to start at half 7..roughly how long dya think?
    Sorry I'm not from cork so wouldnt know how long it would take on a good day!

Leave at 7 and you'll be parked up and at your place of work in time

Perfect thanks!
    You have been super helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Town or close to town areas to rent prices are mad..I know you said you didn't want bnb but Carole ville in Ballintemple if you were looking might be worth a shot..

Have you moved to shanbally then already..

We are leaving in Ballintemple for the last few years but are moving back home now to Rochestown and im so not looking forward to the drive in..

As most posters have said if you leave like at the latest 8 you should be fine..If I was coming from Shanbally, I would either head down towards the Carrigaline roundi and go straight.. Or there is a right have turn passed the petrol station on the straight and if you go down here drive straight on you come passed the back of Mount Oval and then you take the third right me thinks it is and your onto the link.

Where abouts in town are you working!! Might be of help to eachother if ya every get stuck

I am not working in town. I am working in shanbally! Hence the city to shanbally..

I'm in a B&B in carrigaline at the moment for the last few weeks.
    Been looking online..emailed/rang everyone on daft at this stage and just have incredibly bad luck. Rent is just as expensive in rochestown/douglas etc I've found. And there is more available in the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Why not rent in Carrigaline?
    If you rent in Rochestown or Maryborough you can avoid some of the traffic but prices would be higher.

As for traffic, I find there is usually very little traffic after 8:30

The worst traffic is at 7:10 until 7:45 I think

Ok, I get the feeling I am not being clear about my point or something else?

Of course I dont want to have the longest commute I can possibly have im not a masochist! :pac:
    I am looking everywhere that would make it easier for me to commute, However my colleague and I have been looking now for nearly 4 wks and havnt been able to secure a place.
    So I said id see how long of a commute it would be from the city. Just to broaden the search area and hopefully get somewhere quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I would have thought there would be plenty of places to rent in Carrigaline.

Ahh Im with you now sorry!! The brian is on...

Ah feck your sorted going from the City to Shanbally anywho everyone else will be coming into Town...

So there are two of ye looking for a place... I just say a post up there but it is just for a double room in Borreenmanor road..

Still what stands is yes the rent is mad, but tis nearly the same in around town now..I was looking up places there and they are all for around €900 - €1,200... Stupid government..

How much are ye talking about spending on rent. Just looking and there is a two bedroom apartment in carrigaline for €800 that's a bargin...

Is it that ye want to leave closer to town..Theres places in Jacobs Island too.. That would be a handy spot well for Shanbally you could always cycle across the line get the bus then to Shanbally avoid all traffic

Yes thats a lovely apt in carrigaline and they have had viewings booked up for ages for it so if some stupid person doesn't take it I'm ringing them 9am Monday and demanding it :D

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is it that ye want to leave closer to town..Theres places in Jacobs Island too.. That would be a handy spot well for Shanbally you could always cycle across the line get the bus then to Shanbally avoid all traffic

Jabobs island is new to me so will look at that later! Thanks.
    Max max Budget would be 1,100..most places are just above that unfortunately!
    Might end up having to forget the two bed and just take a room each somewhere if we get that desperate

Ah you should find plenty of two beds around....

Jacobs island isn't the worst spot, cant say I would live there myself but then that's me.

But your close to the Mahon Point area, on the bus route in and out to town.

The pitfall is the traffic there is a nightmare at rush hour, one way in and one way out system..

As said if you wanted to walk across the line to Rochestown you come out just before the Rochestown Inn, you could catch a bus from there to Shanbally..Save on parking, skip the traffic and get some exercise in. You could cycle also...

With agents whatever you do stay away from Choices.. Absolute aren't bad or this gang are quite nice http://www.rose-property.com/property-to-rent quite friendly..

I would say also well unless ye know someone down there stay away from Passage and nearly Monkstown..Very clickie places, tis like the smell that you aren't local....

Haha thanks, good to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Traffic is very heavy now from the Shannonpark roundabout into Ringaskiddy. It just crawls though Shanbally village. I live northside, fairly close to town. I start at 8. I used to leave at 7.30 and now have to leave at 7.15 to get in on time, and the main hold up is from the Shannonpark roundabout on. It can busy there from 7:15 right up and past 8am. When the schools and colleges finish up though it does tend to get quieter. For a 7.30 start you should be ok leaving at 7, but I'd be leaving 5 or 1 0 minutes earlier just to be sure. A lot more people working down here now, and a good few construction jobs in the plants around as well. Couple that with the trucks coming to and from the port and it amounts to a lot of traffic on a small road. I also work night shifts. It can take make me an hour to get home in the morning - traffic just crawls up Carr's Hill, and then again going either through the tunnel or town is chronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

3 bed semi in my park in Carrigaline just gone back on the rental market, looking for €1200 pm :eek:. Daft.ie if your interested.

The rent is mad isnt it...Like that is Town rate.. We have to move as the landlord says he is selling and has a for sale sign up but I can see him putting the place back on the market soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Under the new rental law that was to come into place that is illegal AFAIK. He cannot put the place for sale,get you out and then take it off the market. Make him an offer and see what happens.

Yeah hopefully he wont be able to, mind i dont see what he is going to do with the place as it wont sell not quickly anywho..

Must say I am quiet surprised with the sorry I know tis the opposite direction but lets say Rochestown to Town commute... Jes the roads aren't half as bad as what they used to be.. I haven't gone down Rochestown road yet. But yesterday we left at like 8 and made it in for around half eight and this morning left at around quarter past eight and made it for ten to nine..

Now im kinda just outside the city on both sides but still this was not doable before... the only thing I don't get it people on the roundiebout by Mcie D's whats the thing here with the two lanes, they are clearly marked right and straight on and left and everyone going straight go on the left only turn very annoying

Advertisement