Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Traffic Lights in Ferrybank

Options
  • 25-02-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

The new traffic lights at the Abbey Road junction are up and running. looking at the traffic backlog tonight, looks like whoever set the timing did not do a good job.
    How can the timing of the light coming out of the pub exit be the same time as everywhere else, surely that particular one should be a sensor.

Just to compound matters, the lights outside the church were on the blink and changing to red every 10 seconds.

What clowns are responsible for this mess, obviously they fecked off home before rush hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Was going to post about this.....what a disaster!!!!! Traffic backed out to Slieverue roundabout this evening......big mess up by somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I reckon its going to be a disaster come rush hour tomorrow am.

5 Sets of lights in less than 1000m ( From Ard Daire to Spar) thats more than whats on The Mall or the Quay!

Looking the way the traffic was backed up to turn off towards Abbeylands / Christendom I reckon its only days or weeks before one of the folks using that lane is rammed by one of the folk whom are regularly trying to jump traffic heading towards New Ross its a disaster waiting to happen.

On the plus side maybe the lights may push traffic to use the bypass and hopefully improve matters outside the spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jambo wrote: »

5 Sets of lights in less than 1000m ( From Ard Daire to Spar) thats more than whats on The Mall or the Quay!

Looking the way the traffic was backed up to turn off towards Abbeylands / Christendom I reckon its only days or weeks before one of the folks using that lane is rammed by one of the folk whom are regularly trying to jump traffic heading towards New Ross its a disaster waiting to happen.

On the plus side maybe the lights may push traffic to use the bypass and hopefully improve matters outside the spar.

The number of near misses at Spar and the corner shop, where people pull in suddenly, its a wonder there is not more accidents there. Now people will probably speed up to get past the lights at the Abbey Road.
    Again, how do they not have a sensor light for the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm sure sequence will be sorted best as reasonably can. Lights badly needed fir school kids though so they are 100% necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Jambo wrote: »

Agree with this, this is my biggest concern and first thought about the set up. People speeding up to try jump into the left lane mightn't realise the red lights at the top of the hill, or if someone stops at them or traffic is backed up in the right lane.

Something is needed there though as you've cars going a multitude of different ways. You have cars coming from the abbey and turning right up the hill towards the church (Not counting left as there's a seperate lane to go left) you have the cars going straight up through the main lights, from this you have cars turning right towards the abbey and also u-turn back towards waterford, and then you have cars pulling out from the pub going left or right! Then there is cars turning right from the Abbey pull half way across when their right side is clear and wait for left to clear. That is 7-8 different routes. How the light sequence will work I don't know, it will probably take some sequencing and adjusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I would have thought that a roundabout would have been more suitable at that junction. The rumour is that the City Council put in lights because a roundabout would cost more, though I have no idea as to whether that's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It wasn't a City & Co. Council project, it's the Irish Roads Authority who are responsible for it.

Still bad this evening. This will put people off going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

was it KK or WCC that put them in?????? just curious as to who made this fecking disaster .....
    its horrendous over there now

Cortecs wrote: »
    Still bad this evening. This will put people off going into town.
    robtri wrote: »
    was it KK or WCC that put them in?????? just curious as to who made this fecking disaster .....
    its horrendous over there now

Maybe i should have posted this in the Kilkenny thread? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

why?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am I missing something? The traffic is horrendous with the new lights over there. I travel to Wexford and back every day and this will add an extra 10 minutes or more to the journey in the evening.

Am I missing something? The traffic is horrendous with the new lights over there. I travel to Wexford and back every day and this will add an extra 10 minutes or more to the journey in the evening.

Wexford thread so.... Whew :p

Definitely not Kilkenny Co.Co. They're located solidly inside Waterford boundaries. Anyway, it's obvious Kilkenny Co.Co. would have done it better ;)

Joking aside, I wouldn't envy you given that you've got to get through Ross as well. That must be one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Definitely not Kilkenny Co.Co. They're located solidly inside Waterford boundaries. Anyway, it's obvious Kilkenny Co.Co. would have done it better ;)

Joking aside, I wouldn't envy you given that you've got to get through Ross as well. That must be one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in the country.

But if KK co.co. did it the traffic lights would have no green or red, they would just flash amber, then black... amber, black, amber.

The bastards.

longshanks wrote: »
    But if KK co.co. did it the traffic lights would have no green or red, they would just flash amber, then black... amber, black, amber.

The bastards.
    ;)
    They certainly wouldn't have blue and white lights anyway.
    You'd think Waterford Co.Co would have no lights at all on the way out so as to get us Kilkenny types out of Waterford as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I gather the lights were put there at the request of the Abbey Community College.No reason why the lights couldn't be knocked off at 5 o'clock.
    It would be more in their line to do something about the chaotic car parking that exists outside the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

It's a nightmare, to many traffic lights in close proximity, pub lights going green and nothing coming out, Abby school side green and nothing coming out there either, pedestrian lights at church stay green for around 4 seconds and same as lights by the school up further

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Ah sure it would probably be better if we just had nothing there and let the stupid idiots who shoot up the right lane knowing full well they will be cutting in at the top. Sure they are only kids lives who gives a **** about them.

The usual **** here. Complain and offer 0 viable alternatives.

So does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop idiots speeding up towards the childs school to overtake the traffic? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ah sure it would probably be better if we just had nothing there and let the stupid idiots who shoot up the right lane knowing full well they will be cutting in at the top. Sure they are only kids lives who gives a **** about them.

So does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop idiots speeding up towards the childs school to overtake the traffic? No?

Is there not pedestrian lights at the church and lights at the bottom of the rockshire Road giving them viable crossing options in both directions?

Not saying I disagree with the need for lights (timed ones only around school times) but your outrage seems a bit much too

• Advertisement

The parking at the child's school as you call it is a bigger danger in my opinion. I saw a fella riding a motorbike on the footpath outside the boys school a while back.

Over pass

Under pass

Teach kids to walk 40m to the nearest set of lights

Change road layout so makes it impossible to change lanes at top part.. (bollards)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Simple solution to the people flying up the right hand lane, put in those plastic bollards to seperate the lanes. Secondly, i've witnessed people jumping the lights at the school from either side, so no harm slowing down the traffic there at school times, lest we have a dead kid on our hands. I honestly think a roundabout would have been a better solution there. Mythbusters done a fairly good test on wether lights or a roundabout is better, and the roundabout won. Now that;s something for Americans to admit that roundabouts, the bane of American drivers, are better than lights!

From the Abbey Road lights to the boys school you have the following traffic calming measures:
    1.Lollipop Man at the Grotto.
    2. Pedestrian crossing at the Church.
    3. Speed Bump at the PO.
    4.Pedestrian crossing at the school.
    I don't see how the new traffic lights will stop people shooting the lights at the school. Report the offenders to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Simple solution to the people flying up the right hand lane, put in those plastic bollards to seperate the lanes. Secondly, i've witnessed people jumping the lights at the school from either side, so no harm slowing down the traffic there at school times, lest we have a dead kid on our hands. I honestly think a roundabout would have been a better solution there. Mythbusters done a fairly good test on wether lights or a roundabout is better, and the roundabout won. Now that;s something for Americans to admit that roundabouts, the bane of American drivers, are better than lights!

Great Idea ref bollards if only the council would do it and while there at it do something about the idiotic parking at Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

There is now a ridiculous amount of traffic lights between the bottom of the rockshire road and Walshs garage in Belmount. I would have thought a roundabout would be better. I can see this turning into a huge mess at peak times.

This is the main N25 Cork to Rosslare road. Road Safety us obliviously first priority but traffic should be kept moving where possible.

I like the idea of having bollards to stop lane jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

floyd333 wrote: »

This is the main N25 Cork to Rosslare road.

Its not actually. Drive from new ross and follow the signs to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

floyd333 wrote: »
    This is the main N25 Cork to Rosslare road. Road Safety us obliviously first priority but traffic should be kept moving where possible.

Except people going Rosslare to Cork can use the Ferrybank bypass. Maybe that's the intention. Come over the bridge, turn left, and take the bypass to head to Rosslare. Sure, it adds a small bit of travel, but at peak times would be quicker in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

It is definitely a little longer but would fully agree that it should be used as lower volumes through Ferrybank would definitely be safer

• Advertisement
Advertisement