Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 6 cables & TV points - Help please

Options
  • 25-02-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

HI all
    need some advise and guidance, keeping the house renovated and the electrician has wired it with cat 6 cabling and TV points for both satellite and UPC to a central point - cables are hanging loose at this point and not connected to anything- see attached rough drawing.

I am very new to all this so need advice on what to do next... I am planning on getting UPC into the house for TV and Broadband but need to know what to do. Rang UPC and the were less that helpful and seem to just want to come in and run there cable to the TV...

Appreciate any guidance or even recommendation of someone who could finish the job

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi, where are the TV points on your diagram?
    Data.
    In this arrangement you'd be better to get a dedicated router from upc/virgin. You'll need to ask them they do it.

You need them to cable the internet point into your garrage. This will be terminated into their router

The data points would need to be terminated at both ends of this isn't done get it finished before upc come out.

You would need a socket beside the terminated data points in your garage to power the router and a new switch. Have this ready too.

Buy a 8 port switch , get cat 6 path leads and patch all your data points in the garage into the switch.
    Also patch the upc router into the switch.

This will give you internet access to the rooms on the diagram

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AWM7PKO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_vX4Zwb100CCM7

TV

Hopefully you have coax TV points from your attic to your TV positions, upc will bring a new cable into your attic and hook them up to the points you want upc at.

Hopefully you are not expected to have coax from your attic to your garage and then distribute TV over cat 6 to the house , hopefully you have coax to the TV points installed.

If not to be honest it might be the cheapest option to let them run fresh cables coax to the TV locations.

You have more creative options with all the data but don't get a horizon combo TV/internet box

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭pauliemc

Hi Stoner

Thanks for the reply and apologies for digging up the old thread. Answers to your questions below - I will also take some pictures this evening.

TV - My understanding is that there is coax from the utility to the TV points in each room. However it appears to be a cat 6 cable from the attic down to the utility room. The sparks said UPC would connect to this cable in the attic and then distribute from the utility? Will UPC need to fit "their" UPC connection point at each TV point or will it just be one in the utility room connected to the coax?

DATA - I think I follow what you are describing here. Funnily enough I already have a dedicated router in my current setup from UPC and a separate Horizon box due to issues I was having with the WIFI speed from the Horizon box.

Appreciate the direction, I was thinking I needed to get a "box" that took the input for both data and TV and this then distributed signals to the data lines and coax....

pauliemc wrote:
    TV - My understanding is that there is coax from the utility to the TV points in each room. However it appears to be a cat 6 cable from the attic down to the utility room. The sparks said UPC would connect to this cable in the attic and then distribute from the utility? Will UPC need to fit "their" UPC connection point at each TV point or will it just be one in the utility room connected to the coax?

Yes, if upc run a cable to the utility room they can join coax cables to this single point

excellent, have UPC calling out tomorrow so i will let you know how i go!

• Advertisement

Sound , just to let you know I have something like your set up , all data and TV go to the attic. UPC ran the cables in. They only joined up the TV cables I was using with them , IE they put in a one input (their new cable) and terminated just two of my TV points for the two upc boxes I use. They just leave the other cables alone

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Can I ask a question regarding a similar need in this thread rather than starting a new one?

If not, please delete this post and apologies to the OP.
    Thanks

rossie1977 wrote:
    There are no bankers for Roscommon. Consistency was a huge issue under Evans..Sligo, fermanagh, nuig, laois were all bankers last year yet Roscommon lost them all

dobman88 wrote:
    Genuine question. Is it hard to follow the sliotar?

Sure its fresh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can I ask a question regarding a similar need in this thread rather than starting a new one?

If it is on topic, absolutely.
    If not a new thread would be preferable.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

I have UPC coming into my utility room and I have the whole house wired with Cat6 cables.

I use a HDbaseT box to convert the HDMI signal so that it can be sent down a Cat cable. The signal is turned back into HDMI by a receiver close to the TV.

This way I can have TV reception anywhere I have a Cat cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

My 2c - install 2 runs of cat 6 everywhere. Cable is cheap but routing it is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a similar setup in my house.

Where all your cables are terminating, get a communications cabinet and put in a patch panel. All your cat 6 cables will terminate there and will make life much easier for you. You are then free to do as you want in terms of routers, switches, etc. I would recommend a switch that supports POE, this will send power down the network cables and you can run poe supported devices on the other end without requiring any power outlet close by. Very handy for access points, security cameras, voip phones, etc. I'm a big fan of ubiquiti, there access points are super and you will get great wi-fi coverage from them.

Also, make sure to have a power point and your incoming fibre/dsl/cable internet connection at the same area as where your cat 6 cables are terminating. Surge protection is important here. I have also a UPS unit but I am running some servers so you may not need one, but good to have if you have the budget. It also allows you to plug all your devices into the UPS and you only need to plug the UPS into the mains, so only 1 power outlet required. APC do great surge protection and UPS units.

I cannot help with UPC, not familiar with how the operate. I have a satellite that feeds into a multiswitch and that then distributes the signal to each room. I don't know if there is a multiswitch equivalent for cable TV.

Very helpful Virgin/UPC tech arrived on Saturday so it looks like I am almost up and running. very interesting stuff and lots to learn and play around with

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

stimpson wrote: »
    My 2c - install 2 runs of cat 6 everywhere. Cable is cheap but routing it is a pain

I agree 100%

Okay so I am doing a rewire in a solid brick house and I want to get it as multimedia friendly setup as possible.

I will need a Sky box feed in 5 rooms. For this I have run 2 x Cat5 cables down every wall in the tv rooms and 1 x Coax cable. Only one of the TVs is a Smart tv and I really don't use them for that function anyway.

My question after all this wiring is this..

What do I do for the Games room and Main sitting room where I will need 4 HDMI connections to the TV's?

If using a HDMI Switch I will need something that can let me utilise 2 HDMI's to the set at the same time. The reason for this is the need for Sky/Android Box and a surround sound system. Both these need to be usable simultaneously for obvious reasons.

I do have somewhere central to setup all the Boxes and run cables from. I also have a half decent Fibre connection so will be putting the modem in the attic (single storey) and can run Cat5 for all the rooms for internet etc. rather than using the obligatory TP Link.

So, any further suggestions or recommendations?

I will need a Sky box feed in 5 rooms. For this I have run 2 x Cat5 cables down every wall in the tv rooms and 1 x Coax cable. Only one of the TVs is a Smart tv and I really don't use them for that function anyway.

I'd have two coax per TV if you can still get to it.

Okay so I am doing a rewire in a solid brick house and I want to get it as multimedia friendly setup as possible.

My question after all this wiring is this..

What do I do for the Games room and Main sitting room where I will need 4 HDMI connections to the TV's?

If using a HDMI Switch I will need something that can let me utilise 2 HDMI's to the set at the same time. The reason for this is the need for Sky/Android Box and a surround sound system. Both these need to be usable simultaneously for obvious reasons.

I do have somewhere central to setup all the Boxes and run cables from. I also have a half decent Fibre connection so will be putting the modem in the attic (single storey) and can run Cat5 for all the rooms for internet etc. rather than using the obligatory TP Link.

So, any further suggestions or recommendations?

I plug all the HDMI devices into a receiver and there is then only 1 output going into the TV and 1 output to projector. Audio/Video is then controlled through the receiver. I can also control audio to different zones, 1 zone for living room and 1 zone for kitchen. Handy for playing music when in the kitchen.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd have two coax per TV if you can still get to it.

Yes could still add another in the conduit. Benefits of a second one?

jester77 wrote: »
    I plug all the HDMI devices into a receiver and there is then only 1 output going into the TV and 1 output to projector. Audio/Video is then controlled through the receiver. I can also control audio to different zones, 1 zone for living room and 1 zone for kitchen. Handy for playing music when in the kitchen.

Got any links for a decent receiver?

Got any links for a decent receiver?

I have a Marantz receiver, great product and no issues. I have one of the older models which doesn't support 4K, but when 4K becomes more prevalent then I will upgrade. Their remotes apps are awful, but I mainly use the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Richer sounds were banging this out for 499 recently. Seemed like great value. Worth asking them on the forum if it's in your price range.

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a550_g/

Yes could still add another in the conduit. Benefits of a second one?

One for digital saorview and one for satellite. Its what I have a TV with two tuners .
    Or watch one satellite while you record the other
    Or loop a cable off a satellite to share the Chanel that box is tuned into on another TV

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

stimpson wrote: »
    Richer sounds were banging this out for 499 recently. Seemed like great value. Worth asking them on the forum if it's in your price range.

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a550_g/

This really appealed to me so I checked it out. Unfortunately it is £499, not €499 :mad:

See link:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057568771

Advertisement