Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 -- prevent boot to desktop

Options
  • 25-02-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've Googled this but can't seem to find the right answer. I have three user accounts on my W10 laptop. Only mine has a password and I have the two kids on separate accounts with guest access. The think is if one of them has been using the laptop and shut it off, when I boot it the next time it automatically logs in to their account. How do I get it to just boot to the user select screen. Windows 7 used to do that be default IIRC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Sounds like they are putting it into sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

Is that a possibility?

When you power up it then wakes up from sleep mode and because there is no password goes back to their desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Sounds like they are putting it into sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

Is that a possibility?

When you power up it then wakes up from sleep mode and because there is no password goes back to their desktop

No, it's definitely being shut down properly. It's not a major deal but something I'd still like to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

mordeith wrote: »
    No, it's definitely being shut down properly. It's not a major deal but something I'd still like to sort out.

Instead of shutting down can you just log off?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Instead of shutting down can you just log off?

Ah yeah, as I say, it's not a big deal. When I power on and it boots to one of their desktops and I can just log off and login to mine. Just thought it was odd that it would automatically login to last user (non password protected) after a shut down, rather then going to user select screen

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

This "feature" was introduced in Windows 8.

If you've got Windows 10 Pro you can use the Group Policy Editor to run a registry script (ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch /V Enabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F) at every logon to force the login screen.

Otherwise your only choice is to set passwords on all the accounts.

• Advertisement

maki wrote: »
    This "feature" was introduced in Windows 8.

If you've got Windows 10 Pro you can use the Group Policy Editor to run a registry script (ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch /V Enabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F) at every logon to force the login screen.

Otherwise your only choice is to set passwords on all the accounts.

Thanks for the info.
    I've only got the home version so just have to put up with it. Poor little me :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There are some options to try here which may be suitable.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How old are the kids? Could you password protect their accounts, even with "1234" just to stop this happening?

You can prevent the kids from changing the password on the account.

yoyo wrote: »
    There are some options to try here which may be suitable.

Nick

Nice one. I'll try some of those to see.
    seamus wrote: »
    How old are the kids? Could you password protect their accounts, even with "1234" just to stop this happening?

You can prevent the kids from changing the password on the account.

Old enough to be able to remember simple passwords alright. I'll do that if options above fail to address the issue.

Advertisement