Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taboo (BBC/FX) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Set in 1814, the eight-episode FX/BBC One co-production follows James Keziah Delaney (played by Hardy), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long-dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. Alas, his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence.
    Executive-produced by Hardy alongside Ridley Scott and Steven Knight, Taboo is currently anticipated to air in 2017.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/25/tom-hardy-taboo-fx-trailer/

I like the trailer and premise, looks promising and Hardy is one of best actors around

"You send me 12 men and I will return you 12 sets of testicles in a bag" only Hardy's Delaney could deliver that line so well :P Jonathan Pryce equally impressive as Strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why is this titled as being on FX - doesn't anyone here watch proper TV, you know the channels that are on your EPG? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Looks nice but couldn't get into it, found it boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was very slow but intriguing all the same, cinematography was outstanding, as was the set and costume design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Odd Techno I found it very interesting as the main characters have actually appear to be more than the standard garden stereotype personalities.

I'd say Delaney and his sister are very close :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Going to be show of the year

You heard it hear first

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

great first episode..Tom Hardy = Class. you don't know a bad actor until you see a really good one. already looking forward to the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Daycent.
    Some amount of game of thrones actors in it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

He is built like a tank compare to every one else in it and fed far to well but I think this could be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    great first episode..Tom Hardy = Class. you don't know a bad actor until you see a really good one. already looking forward to the next episode.

Serious over acting from Hardy, real scenery chewing and a preposterous character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Redo91

That closing scene when he's negotiating with the East India Co boys was Hardy at his best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was rather brilliant, loved every second of it and looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I could feel the fidgety fear that I was watching schlock during the first half of that episode - expensively mounted, but essentially schlock. It seemed to be pressing hard on a lot of the screen cliche pressure points - dreary ye olde and perpetually murky London, conspicuous talk of Grave Robbing, evil machinations by old men in huge rooms filled with Globes the size of smaller rooms. And to top it off Tom Hardy strolling about with the swagger of teenage Goth mood machine, wearing a top hat that even Slash would dismiss as being too much. Christ, I thought, a lot of money has gone into this, lets hope it doesn't turn out to be cheesy rubbish.

But then I found myself slowly becoming drawn into it as the hour went on. The final scene, as many have pointed out, was the highlight. A well acted showdown between our two main men, with the stakes firmly on the table. I'd managed to get past my initial - what is this guys deal? - skepticism of Tom Hardy's character and how he was portrayed. By then, thanks to all the glimpses of unexplained horror waking dreams from what looked like his past, I actually did want to know what, really, is this guys deal?

I still think this show could eventually turn out to be a tale of sound and fury signifying damn all in the end - all those mysteries could start turning into implausibilities, our hero could become too much of a laughably modern badass out of time, the story mightn't have enough puff to go the distance over eight episodes; there are many potential pitfalls. But, on the other hand, it could become a raw and weird revenge epic with a magnetic central character at its core. Time will tell, all I can say for sure is that I'll be tuning in for Episode Two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It was an OK first episode. Mostly tedious interspersed with the odd promising moment, with a strong final 10 minutes.

I'm a fan of Tom but James came across as a clichéd mess at times. I was concerned when he said in an interview that his character is an amalgamation of numerous fictional characters...and that's exactly how it came across. It was just chaotic and not in a good way.

I was more interested by his sister flipping the tables on her husband, a scene that lasted about 2 minutes, than anything else that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The 2nd episode was shot so dark I think I missed half of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The 2nd episode was shot so dark I think I missed half of it

That and all the bloody whispering and mumbling. The sound is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya I'm finding it hard to follow, I love Tom Hardy but he seems to be playing the same type of characters all the time.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I'm finding it hard to follow, I love Tom Hardy but he seems to be playing the same type of characters all the time.

He mentioned his role as Bill Sykes as one of his inspirations for the character so you're certainly not wrong. Seems to be a bit of a vanity project.

Hadn't heard about this one until someone asked me had I seen it so we caught up last night. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry I didn't wait for it to finish now so I could watch it over a week.

Was that the sister at the end of episode 2 or just some random assassin :confused:

Re: the sound , I'd hate to watch it live as it airs as more than a few times we had to rewind to catch what was said and thats on a pretty good set of speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Hadn't heard about this one until someone asked me had I seen it so we caught up last night. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry I didn't wait for it to finish now so I could watch it over a week.

Was that the sister at the end of episode 2 or just some random assassin :confused:

Re: the sound , I'd hate to watch it live as it airs as more than a few times we had to rewind to catch what was said and thats on a pretty good set of speakers.
    Some random assassin that they hired.
    The half sister still want toms D

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    He mentioned his role as Bill Sykes as one of his inspirations for the character so you're certainly not wrong. Seems to be a bit of a vanity project.

Hey was Bill Skye's the guy he played in Peaky Blinders?

Is something going on between Tom Harry's character and his half sister? Like the impression I was getting from them is maybe something happened between them in the past or maybe I'm way of the mark.

Hey was Bill Skye's the guy he played in Peaky Blinders?

Bill Sykes in the BBC adaptation of Oliver. Ollie Reed famously played the character in film.

I think Tom Hardys character and his half sister were sleeping together cause he said u used to straighten your skirts and walk away like nothing happened. Just started watching episode 3.
    yep confirmed I. Episode 3

Episode 3 was very good.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Bill Sykes in the BBC adaptation of Oliver. Ollie Reed famously played the character in film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065309/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_29

Yes Tom played Bill for BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭secman

Watching this but haven't a fcking notion what it's about, can't make out half the dialogue, haven't a clue what the ghost one is about ... other than that it's grand !

• Advertisement

I think Tom Hardys character and his half sister were sleeping together cause he said u used to straighten your skirts and walk away like nothing happened. Just started watching episode 3.
    yep confirmed I. Episode 3

Episode 3 was very good.

Yes thought they were in GOT territory close from episode 1
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd say Delaney and his sister are very close :p

Advertisement