Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internal insulation costing?

Options
  • 26-02-2016 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

hi all - buying my first house in the next few weeks. engineer recommend getting the internal walls insulated. house is approx 800 square meters. how much cash should i allocate for this does anyone know? will be getting quotes of course but want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off first :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alsiet2011 wrote: »
    hi all - buying my first house in the next few weeks. engineer recommend getting the internal walls insulated. house is approx 800 square meters. how much cash should i allocate for this does anyone know? will be getting quotes of course but want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off first :)

Do you mean dry lined?
    You need to calculate the area of all the external walls. Then work out how many insulated boards are required. They come in 2.4x1.2 sheets. Are you going 30mm, 60mm, 100mm etc?

Then it needs to be skimmed and painted throughout.

PS. Your 8000 square foot house sounds massive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭alsiet2011

oh yeah sorry dry lined is what i meant :)
    and also, bit of a typo haha.. i wish it was 800 sq metres. i meant feet. thanks for letting me know the thickness. ill prob choose the thinest. ill do my calculations and get back to ya on sizes:) thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alsiet2011 wrote: »
    oh yeah sorry dry lined is what i meant :)
    and also, bit of a typo haha.. i wish it was 800 sq metres. i meant feet. thanks for letting me know the thickness. ill prob choose the thinest. ill do my calculations and get back to ya on sizes:) thanks again.

You need to work out what the current build up of the wall is. And then make sure that the new build up will actually benefit the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Measure the walls and multiply by 45. You will need electrician to move sockets and plumber for radiators.
    Working on the house project where engineer advised internal insulation on concrete walls, but didn't think that solid fuel heating will not work well without a structure that can keep some thermal mass. My suggestion was to go for external or change heating system.

Advertisement