Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATX PSU Gotcha!

Options
  • 26-02-2016 10:16am

I have a bitza PC, bitza this, bitza that etc
    The case is 10 years old the motherboard & PSU are 8 years old.
    When I last upgraded the upgraded the motherboard (8 years ago) there were a number of "spare" cables from the PSU.

I just replaced the motherboard with a current model and found that it needed extra power connections as it is an ATX board, so I used the "spare" lead.

The PC failed to start!

I eventually found that it would initialise if I unplugged the 12v ATX lead (the spare one).

Looking more into it, I discovered that the lead was wired backwards!!!

So plugging it in shorted out the 12v line. :rolleyes:

So after swapping the connectors around in the plug, it works.:)

just one to watch out for....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

How old is that PSU and who's the manufacturer out of interest? That's a pretty major manufacturing defect... unless the wiring has changed in the last 8 years.

The PSU is about eight years old and is branded as NorthQ, looking up the web site as printed on the label, it appears that they no longer sell computer power supplies.
    It was an early ATX unit, so it is possible that there was a cock up in the production of them and it went unnoticed.

Honestly I'd bite the bullet and invest <100euro in a new one (something bronze or above in efficiency, and then whatever wattage you need to power your components). 8 years should probably be approaching end of life, though I haven't anything to base that on. I just know that PSU life is measured in hours, and if the PSU has a major wiring defect like that, it almost certainly isn't using quality components to keep it going. Do take heed. The device supplying the power can take literally everything with it if ****s up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

NorthQ... that's the brandname Kingnod's units lurk under I believe. And they have to use Huntkey's UL number as they're not certified themselves :p Old design typically well-built but with components manufactured by people nobody has ever heard from before and often has weird quality control issues like the one you found.

TBH I'm more than a little impressed its lasted as long as it has - Kingnod units are generally pretty solid except for the fact that they tend to use off-brand caps not known for longevity :o TBH I'd give the fella an honourable discharge from duty and get something newer and hopefully safer, especially if you've just upgraded the innards!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Honestly I'd bite the bullet and invest <100euro in a new one (something bronze or above in efficiency, and then whatever wattage you need to power your components). 8 years should probably be approaching end of life, though I haven't anything to base that on. I just know that PSU life is measured in hours, and if the PSU has a major wiring defect like that, it almost certainly isn't using quality components to keep it going. Do take heed. The device supplying the power can take literally everything with it if ****s up.

Hrrm. Would you recommend replacing any PSU that's hit 8 years old so?

My Corsair's about that age (no issues with it) so I'm wondering whether it's hit retirement age.

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'd go that far, Corsair would be known for using better quality materials with decent QC. Considering my first ever PC is also hitting about 8 years now with a Corsair PSU and it's running fine. In this case, the problem was the variable quality of the PSU which could indicate more problems. Stealing a post from another forum which I found pretty humorous.
    Well, the answer to yor questions could be:

When the cooling fan is grinding/stuck/failed
    When you don't have the physical plugs you need
    When the PSU doesn't physically fit into your case
    When the output voltages fluctuate a LOT
    When you release the Greasy Orange Smoke
    When your friends make fun of your PSU
    When your PSU won't shut up about how much harder it had it back in "The Day"
    When your PSU needs adult diapers
    When it starts dropping "Hints" about grandchildren
    When you move to a country with really weird power
    When your power company starts charging you a fortune and 90%+ efficiency is worth it

Other than that, if it's doing the job, there's no real reason to replace it. Even with the risk of it dying, there really isn't a significantly higher chance of it happening to your old one than a brand new cheaper unit.

So basically. No need unless you are hitting close to the power output of the PSU in the first place. If not, then a drop in the max power output isn't going to cause issue. There are ways to monitor the power output of the rails via software and log it so that you can create a graph. I have some Hardware Spec monitor software that does it anyway. Do some hard tests like prime95 and other benchmarks and see if any of the rated voltages fluctuate. I think there is a 12V, 5V, 3.3V and 10V? The 12V is pretty important afaik.

thanks for the replies, It's a 500w unit and so far shows no signs of being clapped out, the load is well below that as I bought the next rating up from the required for the board. I suspect that the first thing to go will be the fan.

As for operating hours , I think that over the past eight years the PSU has been running approximately 35% of that time, so it has about "three years on the clock".

Advertisement