Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perplexed

Options
  • 26-02-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Moderator Note

The trolling the last few days is bad but to troll the depression thread with Steps lyrics is beyond low. You were given a chance and blew it.

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canadel View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by animallover100 View Post
    I get a tight chest, a knot in my stomach so strong I get abdominal cramps, and I can't concentrate on anything at all except the things that are making me anxious. Its an awful feeling of impending doom and panic mixed into one.

Posted by Canadel: Having gone through similar at various stages in life, I'd simply say don't stop, and never ever give up. Hold your head high in the air and you'll reach the very top. Let the world see what you have got. Dream of falling in love, anything you've been thinking of. Good luck.

I'm not expecting any sympathy here surrounding my posting history which I'm sure will be mentioned. But I would ask for some semblance of objectivity in relation to this specific ban.

1. I listened to the song recently and the words resonated with me. I saw the depression thread, and a post about anxiety, and so I worded my post similarly to a verse of the song as I believed the words would help people see some sense in a serious thread. As said, the words helped me, and sometimes it's the most simple sentiment that can help the most. I'm sure I'm not the first person in history, nor will I be the last, to use lyrics from a song to express my sentiment surrounding an issue. But I suppose, as it's lyrics from a song by a ****ty band it's trolling according to this mod.

2. What does it matter if the band was Steps? By the way this is also wrong, the band in question is S Club 7. Though the mod in question obviously does not care.
    Ken wrote:
    I mixed up my ****ty 90's bands.
    It doesn't matter what band lyrics or words from a book I based the words of my post on, it is the nature of the post surely that matters. The actual post. One single post too. To say I was trolling is simply embarrassing. I even changed the lyrics around slightly too in case I was accused of taking the piss. I can of course understand how a poster block posting lyrics from songs and books into posts would constitute trolling or other breaches of policy. But this isn't even close to that

Objectively, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever this post could constitute trolling. Even if you are basing the reasoning entirely on a past history of trolling, it makes absolutely zero sense considering the post was clearly not trolling, nor an attempt to troll. I agree that it's fair to judge posters on their previous history, but really I think this situation is taking that concept to whole new levels of craziness. And convenience if I'm being honest. It's a mod basing a ban on his perceived meaning of a post based entirely on the past history of a poster. And also based on his perception of pop music too it must be said.

Leave the ban for all I care. But there is simply no way on earth that that was trolling. Permanently ban me from the site before upholding that reasoning.

Thanks,
    Canadel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I'm not going to go into my own understanding or knowledge or history of the topic of the thread either. I shouldn't have to. But I will say this -Even if I were a troll, or was attempting to take the piss, it is probably the very last thread on boards.ie I'd consider trying it. There's a reason I posted those words and used those lyrics. And that reason is not trolling, no matter what way a mod or any other poster tries to reason it in their head. The words say something that I wish more people would say. Yes, they are simple, yes, they are very similar to lyrics to a pop song. But sometimes we overlook the most simple things as being ****ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Canadel wrote:
    ...Leave the ban for all I care...
    Are you contesting the ban or not?

Are you contesting the ban or not?
    I would have thought the very fact that I made the thread is clear that I am contesting it? My point was that I don't care if the ban is upheld so long as proper reasoning is given. The reason of trolling is absurd. And the reasoning behind it is pathetic on the part of the mod in question.

So yes, I am contesting the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'll take this. Give me some time to look into everything.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'll take this. Give me some time to look into everything.
    Yeah, thanks. It's pretty clear cut if you look at it objectively. But I won't get my hopes up. You can cite my account history, my recent history, my ah history and everything you wish, but I was not trolling that thread. While I admit it may have looked like I was taking the piss, I simply wasn't. And it certainly was not my intention to. Obviously trolling is trolling and a mod has to decide what constitutes trolling. Fine. But when you then try and attempt to explain to the mod at length via pm how you absolutely were not trolling nor trying to troll, and they will not even discuss it in a reasonable way with you, what is the point in posting here? I'm not saying a poster should be just able to argue themselves out of a ban retrospectively when they've done something wrong either. I'm saying the ban was wrong. I'd make the same post again. The post was meant to lighten the mood if you knew the song, but it was also meant to be a genuine post to the person I quoted and to anyone reading, as the words in the post signify. It was only a piss take or trolling if you knowingly choose to interpret it that way. At most you could argue it was ambiguous. But even that is a stretch. And it's not correct. And the reasons for continuing with the ban become more and more clear for as long as it continues.

As I said, leave the ban for all I care, but at least be honest and credible with the reasons for doing so. In fact ban me from the site before you say I was trolling that thread. It just is not true. I don't think I can reason this out any more, I already know the mod who issued the ban was entirely unreasonable in every way imaginable, and you'll most likely have to side with them at this stage. So as I said, I don't expect a resolution here. Just honesty.

Thanks,
    Canadel

• Advertisement

You can uphold the decision already. Save me clicking into the thread.

It's simply absolutely baffling to be permanently banned from a forum for attempting to brighten people's day with a post that would bring a smile to your face if you knew the song, and even if you didn't know the song the words themselves and what they signify would have meant something to someone like they did to me. That's why I posted it. And nothing any moderator can say will ever change that truth.

Before I look into this can you confirm if you are disputing the ban or not?

Can you read the last line of post 4 of this thread?

Can you read the first line of post 7?

I can confirm I'm contesting the ban.

I didn't think it would take three days to resolve something so simple and blatantly unfair.

Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Canadel - Any further contradictory comments (eg, "Leave the ban for all I care", "I am contesting the ban", "You can uphold the decision already") will be viewed at time-wasting.

tHB

Fortunately I have a life outside of boards. It takes priority, unfortunately.

I'll be back tonight with a decision.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Fortunately I have a life outside of boards. It takes priority, unfortunately.

I'll be back tonight with a decision.
    Pleased to hear that.

Thank you.

Sorry, I'm just waiting for someone to come back to me, it might be tomorrow morning before this is finished. Apologies.

No need to apologise for the delay.

Just to reiterate again, the post itself as a standalone post is fine. Nobody can argue with that. The problem, and the reason the ban was issued, is because of the supposed intention behind the post due to the words used in it also being lyrics to a song. I have explained quite clearly and quite emphatically my intention and reasoning for using those words. But presumably because of my posting history, and because of moderators' general reluctance to renege on their decisions, especially to someone with a history of warnings etc. you get a situation where reason and rationale are trumped by a moderators' personal pride and refusal to back down to what they obviously view as a problem poster.

It's disappointing. It shows a clear disconnect between moderators and posters and a total distrust of posters by moderators. One expects far more from a site such as boards. But I understand mods are just posters and people too at the end of the day, and their objective is to protect the integrity of the forums they moderate. But on this occasion that principle is simply being implemented incorrectly.

So to start off, I'm upholding the perma ban as I believe you were trolling and the ban is deserved. I think you have had enough chances in AH at this stage.

Over your 2 accounts you have amassed a staggering 12 actions in AH and over all forums you have 15 warnings, 11 infractions and 21 bans (not including the last ban I overturned after accepting you did not mean to evade the original 2 week ban).

What happened to the so called clean slate on this account!? Since just the the 19th of February you were thread banned in TGC for what is obvious trolling IMO, a warning in Politics and an infraction in TV. You're going the way of a perma site ban at this rate.

Just to reiterate. This is because of your posting history. I gave you a chance last time when I lifted the perma ban. The 1 month ban was overturned by the mod but you chose to see it out of your own accord.

AH mods have wasted enough time dealing with you. Enough is enough.

If you wish you can request an admin review.

You are wrong on almost every level, but what can I do when you won't listen to any sort of reason but rather construct your own narrative of events.

To say I was trolling is simply not the truth. For any of the warning, infraction and bans you mention. And never will be. But if it helps make your system here work better then that's the way it has to be I suppose.

I only asked for honesty here, and I didn't get it. I think that says it all.

Anyway. Resolved.

Thanks,
    Canadel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement