Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for Saffron

Options
  • 26-02-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm making a veg paella and need some help.

The recipe calls for:
    Aubergine cut into chunks
    salt & pepper
    Olive Oil
    Ornion sliced
    3 cloves garlic cruched
    1 yellow pepper sliced
    200g Rice
    1 pint veg stock
    400g tinned tomatoes
    100g mushrooms
    100g cut green beans
    1tsp saffron

1. Soak aubergine in slightly salted water for 30min. Rinse.
    2. Heat oil and fry onion, garlic, peppers, aubergine and saffron for 5 minutes. Add rice, stock tomatoes and seasoning.
    3. Bring to boil and the simmer for 15min uncovered.
    4. Stir in mushrooms and green beans and cook for further 10 minutes.

I don't have any saffron - what could I get to replace it with?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Turmeric. The saffron in paella is mostly just for colour.

I'd add about half a teaspoon of turmeric in with the onions and peppers. Any more than that and you're going to be able to taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Tumeric - about half a teaspoon should suffice for the quantity dictated in the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've no green beans - what can I replace it with? Is there any need for them other than to bulk up the veggie count?

Thanks for those replies - I've got the saffron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Green bell pepper, or asparagus, or even kale. You need several veggies in there or it is not paella, just like regular paella has several different kinds of seafood and meat. For a veg paella, you really need a green-colored vegetable.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Green bell pepper, or asparagus, or even kale. You need several veggies in there or it is not paella.

I've only got a green pepper, but I think that will be overload what with it already having a yellow one in the recipe. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd throw in a handful of frozen peas for green-ness.

Hi, well it is all long finished now. Really liked it - with one exception - I now realise that I don't like aubergine.

What alternatives are there for vegetables in this?

Thanks - and I appreciate the helpful answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hi, well it is all long finished now. Really liked it - with one exception - I now realise that I don't like aubergine.

What alternatives are there for vegetables in this?

Courgettes are a great substitute for aubergines. I'm not mad about them either, tbh.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Courgettes are a great substitute for aubergines. I'm not mad about them either, tbh.

Courgettes - me neither:(

Is there anything else I can replace aubergines with to be the main vegetable in this paella? It was really nice apart from the aubergines :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just leave it out. No need to replace it with anything.
    Alternatively, put in some other vegetable that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would use decent chunks of butternut squash or similar.

Advertisement