Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Photos in Polling booths

• 26-02-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Yesterday we were told no photos to be taken at polling stations. ! o clock news lots of politicians photographed, Can I bring my camera when I vote ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No pictures inside the booth, I didn't watch the news but were they pictures of them putting their vote into the ballot box? As that is okay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No booth out my way in DNW. just a wall with some shelves on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

afatbollix wrote: »
    No pictures inside the booth, I didn't watch the news but were they pictures of them putting their vote into the ballot box? As that is okay.

How is it ok?

As a private citizen I am surely entitled to put my vote in the box without the possibility of doing it being seen on television?

Its nobodies business if I vote or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Is a school or community hall classed as a public place?
    I wouldn't think so. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭afatbollix

elastico wrote: »
    How is it ok?

As a private citizen I am surely entitled to put my vote in the box without the possibility of doing it being seen on television?

Its nobodies business if I vote or not.

They should ask you if it is ok to be filmed I personally would of asked them to not film me.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    They should ask you if it is ok to be filmed I personally would of asked them to not film me.

They shouldn't ask me anything. I am entitled to go in at a time of my choosing without anybody needing to know my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

They shouldn't ask me anything. I am entitled to go in at a time of my choosing without anybody needing to know my business.

To be fair, if you were in shot you would be asked to move away - it's just a PR thing, no more than that

To be fair, if you were in shot you would be asked to move away - it's just a PR thing, no more than that

I know its a PR thing, but why are the rest of us not allowed take a selfie?

Surely if they want a PR shot they can just show them on their way into the building, on a public street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know its a PR thing, but why are the rest of us not allowed take a selfie?

Surely if they want a PR shot they can just show them on their way into the building, on a public street.

Is your issue that you can't take a selfie or that the politicians can be filmed placing their vote in the ballot box?

The filming of placing your vote in a ballot box (usually by politicians or for some reason people voting on their way to get married because they're attention seekers who just as easily could have voted earlier that day before they got their wedding clothes on) is always done without showing normal people in the background unless it's with their permission beforehand. These things are always organised in advance both to protect the privacy of other voters and of course to arrange for the cameras to be there in the first place.

Taking a selfie while voting compromises the privacy of other voters because it's not arranged in advance and therefore could compromise votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Penn wrote: »
    Taking a selfie while voting compromises the privacy of other voters because it's not arranged in advance and therefore could compromise votes.

It also raises the possibility of photographing your ballot - and then people getting paid for votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It also raises the possibility of photographing your ballot - and then people getting paid for votes.

FIFA basically!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement