Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 196: McGregor v Diaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ASOT wrote: »
    A nice one million for Conor to show, 500k for nate like Mendes, Conor really is the golden ticket. 500k for Holm also decent work out of her management team.

I've never seen something like that before an event before. After yes. Was it leaked or do d they release it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

John_D80 wrote: »
    I've never seen something like that before an event before. After yes. Was it leaked or do d they release it??

It must have been leaked, judging by the headline on the document it's an advanced notice of payments. It was up on twitter there a few minutes ago!! More broke records for Conor, madness how far he's come.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Participated in contact martial arts for a few years so I think I am qualified to offer an opinion. I think McGregor will win. Everyone tries to predict where he will be, but the thing is, he is unpredictable. When he talks of creating dead space, it is true. Having said that now, watching the pre-fight interviews, Diaz is better with the mind games than Connor's previous opponents. He claimed McGregor was on steroids and Connor didn't take too nicely to that statement. Nonetheless, my money is on Connor. Easy win for him. I know a professional cage fighter who is now retired and he agrees with me.

Just my 2c.

It's "Conor" McGregor!
    He wouldn't take too nicely to spelling his name wrong either.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What time will the McGregor fight start do we reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Prob about half past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thread is going to run into a hundred pages by the time the fight starts with people asking what time the fight starts at and other people giving them smart answers. Paully D should be the only one allowed to start event threads around here. His first post always has every bit of info anyone could possibly need.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but how can't you avail of it? Even if you only watch it online, Setanta for a month is cheaper than paying for a steam? Once you have the Setanta sub you can watch it on Setanta Go

Setanta is 2 month minimum subscription though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

ASOT wrote: »
    A nice one million for Conor to show, 500k for nate like Mendes, Conor really is the golden ticket. 500k for Holm also decent work out of her management team.

He must be on a pretty good slice of the PPV figures since he said he is going to breeze past 10million for this fight.

I'd love to see the breakdown on those, his %, what the threshold is before the % kicks in and if there is any max payout off it etc

Making up another 10+million at least off the PPV% seems like it would be a tall order, a very tall order the more I think about it! Would have to see the breakdown obviously to have any idea I suppose

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Prob about half past
    Half past what ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

chillin117 wrote:
    Half past what ?

The hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

set your clock for 5 to be safe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I'm gonna get one of those McGregor tattoo transfers for my two weeks in Toremolinos...gonna be tropic!

Down dere for dancing !

glasso wrote: »

Second bull**** anti-mcgregor article from the indo in as many weeks. Were Connor from a fee paying rugby school I highly doubt he would receive the same vitriol.

Seems to pain them to see an Irish man doing well who's not some pre-approved "Irish model"-dating nobody from the Irish social set.

**** anyone who buys that rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Was it an anti-McGregor article?

Can't say I got that sense when I read it. Didn't give any info not already known either, what about it made it anti-McGregor?

I thought the point was to enjoy this phenom while it lasts, however long that will be, which is obviously unpredictable since it is combat sport. Spoke of how he has made himself a huge star, played the game and done it brilliantly, which McGregor says himself..... Even ends with, until it happens (he loses) just pay that subscription baby!

Edit: I didn't examine every word when reading it though, I kinda breezed through it so maybe I missed something anti-McGregor which is why I am asking for it to be pointed out to me. Its why I said I didn't get the sense it was anti-McGregor, if someone can tell me why it is I will happily stand corrected.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

glasso wrote:
    Very good article. Worth reading

What's worth reading about it? That journalist hasn't a clue what he's talking about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Another bum journalist green with envy of the million the plumber from crumlin is making whooping people,doesnt realise hes been submitted twice in his career of course thinks hes undefeated,

A loss and the comeback would lead to a new narrative in his story and more millions of dollars,you can be sure he wouldnt be on fight pass,

Also a loss in mma is nothing,at any level people think its boxing where you lose your 0 and your starpower isnt the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Second bull**** anti-mcgregor article from the indo in as many weeks. Were Connor from a fee paying rugby school I highly doubt he would receive the same vitriol.

Seems to pain them to see an Irish man doing well who's not some pre-approved "Irish model"-dating nobody from the Irish social set.

**** anyone who buys that rag.

"anti McGregor article" my hole.

Anti MMA..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Gamebred wrote: »
    Another bum journalist green with envy of the million the plumber from crumlin is making whooping people,doesnt realise hes been submitted twice in his career of course thinks hes undefeated

The article wasn't even being critical, did you even read it? Also, why are talking like Conor, it's weird. Bet you have a recently acquired beard and a 3 piece suit too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Prob about half past
    Be after 12 anyways..

Den_M wrote:
    The article wasn't even being critical, did you even read it? Also, why are talking like Conor, it's weird. Bet you have a recently acquired beard and a 3 piece suit too

Just read it for the third time, it's a completely negative piece on Conor and the UFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Den_M wrote: »
    The article wasn't even being critical, did you even read it? Also, why are talking like Conor, it's weird. Bet you have a recently acquired beard and a 3 piece suit too :rolleyes:

Did you read it?

Rarely is one treated to such an obnoxious and arrogant string of words in such a condescending tone. Unfortunate for the journalist this was for the website. If it was for the print edition he could have saved time by just spitting on a picture of Conor.

It's spineless. If the journalist is going to take a contrarian view, why try and veil it and be subtle?

You will never see them print stories like this,its all clickbait for the leeches

https://twitter.com/JOHNGLYNN1/status/705749198147338241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

You will never see them print stories like this,its all clickbait for the leeches

https://twitter.com/JOHNGLYNN1/status/705749198147338241

That's it exactly.

His cocky bravado sells the fights and makes him millions but this it seems is the real Conor, kind, warm hearted and generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

I am neither a Conor super-fan nor a hater but I am genuinely astonished at this. Not critical? Seriously?

Lets see. Mcgregor is a "cartoon figure" with a "subhuman persona" who apparently acts like he has no "obligation to be adult about human interaction". He is seemingly both "unhinged and deranged". Furthermore, he is "incredibly crass" and given to "ugly moments" and "knuckle-headed utterances".

However his "ugliness" will always be forgiven when his prophecies come to pass. When Dana White says that Mcgregor has an X-factor, the author clearly doubts "whether [it] is backed up by any intellectual or emotional depth".

And then we have the kicker. While grudgingly admitting that he has some admirable qualities, he disdainfully suggests that they are only attractive to a "PARTICULAR SOCIAL MILIEU". In other words, the great unwashed. The knacker set, who given the tone of the article as a whole are presumably the only ones capable of being entertained this barbarous display of primitive gladiatorial violence.

The entire article REEKS of anti-mma snobbery. While grudgingly admitting some of Mcgregors achievements and a smattering of backhanded compliments, it clearly and patently cannot be read as anything other than critical. How on earth anyone could read it and not see the above is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So.....

About them fights...

Personally can't wait to see Ilir Latifi again. Sleeper fight on the card imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The reality is that there can be a very unsavoury and sometimes thuggish side to how the fight game works and how Conor promotes himself. The article acknowledges that its for show but seeing the sports biggest star in front of the worlds media shouting and swearing and demeaning everyone that isn't him will not help the sports image.

I love CM and look forward to his fights very much. He's already a legend and has given us an exciting time to be an Irish MMA fan but for someone that claimed to start training in the sport after getting knocked around by bullies, he acts like a bully himself a lot of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Ya he should take vilante! Sanchez miller should be a good fight. Love watching Diego fight

The reality is that there can be a very unsavoury and sometimes thuggish side to how the fight game works and how Conor promotes himself. The article acknowledges that its for show but seeing the sports biggest star in front of the worlds media shouting and swearing and demeaning everyone that isn't him will not help the sports image.

I love CM and look forward to his fights very much. He's already a legend and has given us an exciting time to be an Irish MMA fan but for someone that claimed to start training in the sport after getting knocked around by bullies, he acts like a bully himself a lot of the time

Who is he bullying professional fighters ie grown men or kids here? think people forget that hes not going around calling people of the public bums hes abusing opponents who have talked **** about him,its fight promotion any offended feck off to another sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The indo always have a negative article on the day of a McG fight. It gains hits for the website. People need to stop commenting on the articles.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Ya he should take vilante! Sanchez miller should be a good fight. Love watching Diego fight

I like how they're progressing Fight Pass with big name fighters leading into televised prelims. Eric Winter's interview on the MMA Hour recently was great insight into how they're always trying to improve Fight Pass on fight night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

That_Guy wrote: »
    So.....

About them fights...

the only sleeper about Latifi is his overhand right, yeah he's great to watch

Holloway was a bit taller than McGregor and he used the lead upper cut,can see him utilizing it tonight.

• Advertisement

I like how they're progressing Fight Pass with big name fighters leading into televised prelims. Eric Winter's interview on the MMA Hour recently was great insight into how they're always trying to improve Fight Pass on fight night.

The cynical side of me always sees that as a way to get people to buy fight pass as oppose to promote it though. Realistically Sanchez miller should be much higher up this card imo. Duffy v Poirier was on fight pass to get people to buy aswell. Must check out that interview too.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

So.....

About them fights...

What the hell do you think your doing?? Coming here talking about other fights!?! 😂

On paper this card is significantly less impressive than the previous two but we all know it could still be a potentially great night of fights. I'd like to see latifi get the ko, I've had a soft spot for him since Dublin. I'd also like filthy to get the win purely to see will he hop on the cage and start flicking out cash to the crowd.

Can't decide on the co-main either though...head says holly, heart/crotch says Tate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Apparently Conor has helped out many kids young and ill, both with his time and money. He has sat with young offenders or school drop outs, imparting knowledge from a man they'll respect and putting manners on them about moving off the wrong path, overcoming adversity, having a bit of respect for yourself, your community, your people. He just doesn't blow his trumpet about this. He just doesn't sit down with a PR consultant to see what charities 'are hot'.

Naturally the Americans latch on to a bit of this activity and put it in their media, but behind the scenes you have a man with a very strong social conscience who knows hard work and discipline, a man who respects family and respects his people, and a man who puts his hand into his pocket to help these kids.

All the google merchants know Jack sh!t about the man, use your brains guys.

ianob7 wrote: »
    The cynical side of me always sees that as a way to get people to buy fight pass as oppose to promote it though. Realistically Sanchez miller should be much higher up this card imo. Duffy v Poirier was on fight pass to get people to buy aswell. Must check out that interview too.

Of course they're wanting people to buy it. :) But they're now sticking big fights on the platform to get people to splash their cash.

It's great value for money as it is imo but having big name fights early on is a great little bonus and the way they're now presenting the FP prelims is almost like a mini pre-fight show on FOX with backstage interviews etc rather than tons of filler with the same promos running over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

johnpro wrote: »
    heart/crotch says Tate. :)

Lmao

• Advertisement

Of course they're wanting people to buy it. :) But they're now sticking big fights on the platform to get people to splash their cash.

It's great value for money as it is imo but having big name fights early on is a great little bonus and the way they're now presenting the FP prelims is almost like a mini pre-fight show on FOX with backstage interviews etc rather than tons of filler with the same promos running over and over again.

I'm not really doubting the value as such it's just that I feel that some fights that end up there shouldn't be there really. Yeah production is great on it now. It's a much better spend right now than it was in the past that's for sure

The more I look at the card the better it looks, kinda half wrote it off when i first checked it out

Some very good points about the fight from Dominic Cruz here,especially about straight lines,Diaz has no angles,and also his bjj game from top.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/5/11160732/dominick-cruz-on-conor-mcgregor-vs-nate-diaz-mind-games-movement-and

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Absolutely daft thing to come out with.....who's he bullying exactly? the people who'd 'take his head clean off' that's who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think Miesha Tate has a strong chance to win based purely on their records, showing that they are not that far apart as people seem to hint. Styles do make matchups but i do think trying to predict how effective one person's style is an advantage over an another persons is near impossible as people come up with game plans and defensives to neutralize that style, etc.

Before Holly beat Rhonda, she was reasonably underwhelming in her UFC career (i know the division is newish for most fighters but its all we got), decisioning above average UFC fighters. There was a reason her beating Rhonda was one of the biggest upsets in UFC history. A major part of the upset was that Holly fought the perfect fight and Rhonda fought the most stupid fight ever...run at Holly, get countered, run at Holly, get countered, run at Holly, get countered, end of Round 1, Coach's advice "everything going well don't change anything", start of Round 2, run at Holly, get countered, run at Holly, get countered, run at Holly, BOOM knocked out.

I like Holly but I think she is a little overrated at the moment. While Meisha is a lot more tried and tested in the division and will certainly have a better game plan from her team than Rhonda's "team".

I think the value pick is Tate here.

Who is he bullying professional fighters ie grown men or kids here? think people forget that hes not going around calling people of the public bums hes abusing opponents who have talked **** about him,its fight promotion any offended feck off to another sport.[/QUOTe

I agree, were only seeing him in interviews and when he gets a chance to promote himself. lets be honest, there's a xenophobe vibe from the Americans that's primal. they don't like a foreign guy coming to their shores and shaking up "their" ranks.. the amount of trolling and **** he gets from them, I think half the time he's just getting in before they do, maybe it's defense mechanism from being bullied who knows. And if you look at the new york conference, seems it's rubbing off big time, all the fighters were talking more thrash than I've ever seen, hilarious!!

you know all week I've been and still am nervous for him really as he's smaller and against a larger guy who can take a beating.

then I remembered the inhuman beating a much smaller jim miller laid on a taller joe louzan... if conor could do this, what a message that would send.

and remember louzan is a great fighter and BJJ artist. ask melvin guillard.
    Mcgregor even has the miller skin head and beard now...c'mon lets go...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

So.....

About them fights...

Latifi is 7/1 for a POTN bonus, worth a fiver imo as if he connects early he has the power to finish things quick. That fight also 5/1 to end the quickest on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

rusty cole wrote: »
    you know all week I've been and still am nervous for him really as he's smaller and against a larger guy who can take a beating.

then I remembered the inhuman beating a much smaller jim miller laid on a taller joe louzan... if conor could do this, what a message that would send.

No need to be nervous it's not like Diaz has never lost to smaller men. He's 2-3 in his last 5 fights with only Thompson and Johnson taller than Conor by a whole inch, Conor also has longer reach than all five.

I give him credit for beating Johnson but I reckon Conor kos him easy if the fights anything like that. Dos Anjos destroyed him, he stopped an old and past it Maynard, Thompson tkod him and Henderson beat him easily and even outstriked him too I think.

Obviously all my opinion but I think Conor beats all 5 of them easily, well maybe Dos Anjos could make a fight of it. But this Diaz fight is perfect for Conor to showcase his abilities and I'm expecting a very one sided beat down tonight. Only way I see Nate winning is by submission.

But look its the fight game and anything can happen and thats why I ****ing love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

rusty cole wrote: »

Diaz is a journeyman with 3 loses in his last 5 fights. He's slow and doesn't have a knockout punch. He has had no time to prepare and is out of shape. He's also likely to have an injured hand after mcgregor punched it. He has zero chance of winning. McGregor winning will send out no message at all. McGregor has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Did anyone else think Holly looked like she had a rough cut?

She looked a bit gaunt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement