Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greengrocers in Carlow town

Options
  • 26-02-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi everyone, is there a greengrocers in Carlow town? Been keeping an eye out for one but no luck. I know there is someone selling fruit and veg in the Potato Market on Saturday mornings but was hoping there would be a shop other than the supermarkets for stuff during the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'm not aware of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Yeah, haven't found one .... Lidl is good for fruit and veg, most others are poor even being honest. Tesco would be second place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Do yous remember how good Dooleys on Tullow st use to be, then along came superquinn who went out of there way to close Dooleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Yeah, haven't found one .... Lidl is good for fruit and veg, most others are poor even being honest. Tesco would be second place though.

I guess it depends on what vegetables you're looking for.

I often get the guys in the corner shop beside me to do a special order from their supplier, though the quality does vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i definitely feel theres a market for one in Carlow.
    there's 4 in Kilkenny that I know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

There used to be One out in toughens petrol station a few years ago and had a great selection of stuff but it closed down, not sure was the right timing to open one and specifically in that location.

The Carlow Shopping Centre would be a good place for one I think, given its location

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

The Carlow Shopping Centre would be a good place for one I think, given its location

Yes it would be, it's odd that a region with so much farming going on has nothing in the main town. Was in a decent greengrocer in Portlaoise recently. There were two stalls selling at the Saturday morning market last weekend. both have a decent selection, one guy is from an organic farm.

Moghead wrote: »
    Yes it would be, it's odd that a region with so much farming going on has nothing in the main town. Was in a decent greengrocer in Portlaoise recently. There were two stalls selling at the Saturday morning market last weekend. both have a decent selection, one guy is from an organic farm.

Yeah, normally you see a co-operative effort in a shop or whatever, and some of them are really good. Would be great to see it.

Advertisement