Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers opportunities after social science degree

Options
  • 26-02-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So guys I'm wondering if anyone out there can give me some information on careers options after social science or if anyone has done the degree and would like to tell me what they're doing now. I'm gathering info for a careers evening and I'm just looking for some options to give the students.
    Much appreciation :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Paulajzq

I am in the process of completing my degree at the moment (in two month will finish my second year) and am wondering the exact same thing. I think that becoming a social care worker is the main area but there is a possibility to becoming a social worker by completing masters in social work. If anyone has more info as to options and different suggestions please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Your going to have to do the masters in social work if you want a job in that area...you will get SFA with a social science degree trust me on that as I got one last September with 1st class honors.....A social science degree is useless (while highly interesting to do) without further progression into a masters course....Some people in my class are doing doing a masters in public health (UCC Thursdays and Fridays) some are doing the social work masters and id hazard a guess that a lot are still in shock that they will have to further study, never planned for it and missed the deadline for a lot of courses this year while trying to find work...

The only job I have ever seen advertised looking for people with a social science degree was a 10 month contract as a data analyst for the Growing up in Ireland study group....but the requirement was a masters in a social science discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 plainlazy

Bit worried about what I'm reading here, I'm due to start a social science degree at NUIM in september. As a mature student in my mid 40's I don't want to invest 3/4 years studying for a degree with little or no job prospects outside of the minimum wage or voluntary sector. I already have a fetac level 5 in community healthcare with plenty of employment opportunities, I'm currently working for a good organisation on a temporary contract. I was encouraged to go for this degree as it would qualify me for a better range of employment but I'm having second thoughts now as I could be giving up the chance of full time employment with some good training opportunities. Plus the financial aspect of degree cost, expenses and being only able to work a few hours a week is a bit daunting ( basically I'll be broke for the next four years). Anyone with good advice on this??

Re: my post above....trust me this is gospel...i also am a mature student and know many more on this course...everyone is doing a masters or else just working in a different field...the socia work masters is two years but you can leave after one with a post grad certificate...the social work degree would be better with your experience but its four years and long days in classes that are mandatory ie sign in...I have gone on to do a one year higher diploma in history and now starting the new pme teaching masters in september...it will eventually be a 6 year process...being broke for this length of time is hard i can assure you but worth it all the same...however the social science degree is a fantastic course for matures but be aware this is a multidisciplinary course which means you will have to do some kind of postgrad...however there are many new masters coming on stream within the college which take graduates from all disciplines such business masters....hope this helps...hope its not disheartning but better to go in with your eyes open...

This is all based on experience in UCC...not NUIM

Cheers for the advice auskid, I've already pencilled in an extra year for a post grad masters, but I'm now having big doubts. I've heard before the social science degree is great for matures and a very interesting degree but I'm doing it purely for better employment opportunities, if that's not a likely scenario I'd sooner not invest the time and resources into it. I've been doing courses and part time employment for the past 5 years and am fed up being broke so am looking for the best route to a decent paid job. I wouldn't mind another 4 years of study and part time work if it pays off in the end but I'll be 50 by the time I'm job searching with my degree, I would like to think that I'd have some decent employment options straight away, I've done enough volunteer/part time work to last a lifetime and am not doing no more!!!😃😃😃 Thanks for the advice anyhow, I'll do a bit more research.

• Advertisement

I would suggest the direct social work degree, it's four years but you will be guaranteed a job..this degree would place you on equal standing as someone who has a 3 year social science degree and a 2 year social work masters while taking a year less....from what I have heard from people doing it there is a panel of jobs waiting for graduates....However it is a full on course with mandatory classes where you have to sign in and attendance is monitored, and also a lot of placement blocks...However in UCC this course is only available to mature students over 23 or 25 cant remember which is good but their is a tough interview process where experience in the field in some capacity like volunteering is a must for a given amount of hours..I think it's about 100 hours.....Also the IT's have a social care course with level 7 and level 8 options which could be an idea..you will get work from these but at the lower end of the care spectrum like school S and A's or care workers....both badly paid though...Just wondering if it is this September or next September you are thinking of beginning a course.

I'm due to start this September, could defer for 1 year though. I'm on a CE scheme at present as a care assistant and they have offered me a load of training courses, add on modules to my CH level 5 and a good chance of full time employment as vacancies arise. Not a degree earning option but tempting just the same. Also spoke to a work colleague today that told me a friend had done the social science degree and failed to get any sort of employment from it. I'm thinking maybe defer for a year and then consider changing to a social work degree or similar. If I was in my 20's or early 30's I'd do social science but I seriously need to be in a decent paid job in next few years, if I can't get something definite from this degree I don't see the value in it for me. Thanks for the advice and info though, very helpful👍👍

Advertisement