Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel eir Broadband Solo during 14 day cooling off.

Options
  • 26-02-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

I have decided not to continue with this order and use another provider instead. I am within my 14 day cooling off period. Is snail mail really the only option to do this? Can I not PM an operative here?
    I've the printed page ready to post Monday morning, but surely there's an alternative? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭frawley2005

Be careful you are better off sending it and keeping a dated copy, as eir do not keep to their promises... read my topic on eircom/Eir staff here on boards.ie and you will understand. 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is it the staff or the company you have an issue with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

cjt156 wrote: »
    I have decided not to continue with this order and use another provider instead. I am within my 14 day cooling off period. Is snail mail really the only option to do this? Can I not PM an operative here?
    I've the printed page ready to post Monday morning, but surely there's an alternative? 

Hi cjt156,

We do require written confirmation for this request, this is our standard procedure. You can send by email alternatively to phonecancellations@eir.ie once the call has been logged with cancellations on 1901.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Isn't it interesting how you can make a contract via the phone, but have to cancel it in writing?

Prompted by Frawley2005's post I sent the letter by registered mail Saturday morning. This letter was delivered March 1st. I also rang cancellations yesterday and was told that it would be cancelled straight away.
    I later received an email saying I had to give 30 days notice in writing or via email - I was not advised this by the customer support staff on the phone. I sent the email, reiterating that I am cancelling within my 14 day cooling off period.

Seeing as I am within my 14 day cooling off period I do not, in fact, have to give 30 days notice. I have never received any service from eir. I have no broadband service and do not expect to be charged for it.

I have given notice here, by letter, by phone and now by email. I trust this matter is at an end and I will not be receiving any bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Isn't it interesting how you can make a contract via the phone, but have to cancel it in writing?

Prompted by Frawley2005's post I sent the letter by registered mail Saturday morning. This letter was delivered March 1st. I also rang cancellations yesterday and was told that it would be cancelled straight away.
    I later received an email saying I had to give 30 days notice in writing or via email - I was not advised this by the customer support staff on the phone. I sent the email, reiterating that I am cancelling within my 14 day cooling off period.

Seeing as I am within my 14 day cooling off period I do not, in fact, have to give 30 days notice. I have never received any service from eir. I have no broadband service and do not expect to be charged for it.

I have given notice here, by letter, by phone and now by email. I trust this matter is at an end and I will not be receiving any bills.
    Do Eir provide you with some sort of time travel device which allows you to return to a time before you trialed their product to give your 30 day notice which would allow you cancel within the 14 day cooling off period? If that makes any sense.

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »
    The issue I have is that this company don't listen to their customers. I don't have a landline in my house. I explained this when I called to take out broadband and was assured they could fit one. 
    They then called me back to say my line was working. 

The line I don't have.

I told them this was impossible and but no, they insisted it was. 

I then got an email from a courier saying my modem was being delivered. To the wrong address. 

I contacted them and had it changed, They assured me the line would go live the following day and my modem would work. I assured them it wouldn't and asked them were they looking at the wrong address. No, they said, they had the right address.

I told them to cancel. They said wait a day, try the modem (!!!) and then place a call if it doesn't work. 

They then sent me the statement of contract and billing details. To the wrong address.

My postman knows me and dropped it to my correct address.

At this point I have had enough. I do not expect to be charged for the service I have not received. I have cancelled 4 times within the 14 day cooling off period.

Do not send me a bill, eir. It may end up at the wrong address.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭frawley2005

Another prime example of how bad they are...

They will take your money 
    but the chances of their service working for you is 50/50
    And you fight tooth and nail to escape from them.

Best of luck.

Riamfada wrote: »
    The issue I have is that this company don't listen to their customers. I don't have a landline in my house. I explained this when I called to take out broadband and was assured they could fit one. 
    They then called me back to say my line was working. 

The line I don't have.

I told them this was impossible and but no, they insisted it was. 

I then got an email from a courier saying my modem was being delivered. To the wrong address. 

I contacted them and had it changed, They assured me the line would go live the following day and my modem would work. I assured them it wouldn't and asked them were they looking at the wrong address. No, they said, they had the right address.

I told them to cancel. They said wait a day, try the modem (!!!) and then place a call if it doesn't work. 

They then sent me the statement of contract and billing details. To the wrong address.

My postman knows me and dropped it to my correct address.

At this point I have had enough. I do not expect to be charged for the service I have not received. I have cancelled 4 times within the 14 day cooling off period.

Do not send me a bill, eir. It may end up at the wrong address.
    I've received your PM and responded to you there. 

I'm sorry for all the issues you have had with us. I can confirm the account has been ceased.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks Tracey.

Thanks Tracey.
    No problem. I've responded to your PM there now.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

And sure enough a bill arrived. Even though when I try to register I am told my customer number is invalid. So I can't even see what I am being incorrectly billed for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

And sure enough a bill arrived. Even though when I try to register I am told my customer number is invalid. So I can't even see what I am being incorrectly billed for...
    These bills are automatically generated  cjt156
    Please feel free to PM me the account number and I will take a look at the bill that has been issued.

Pamela 

Already sent a PM at the time of posting.

Already sent a PM at the time of posting.
    I've responded to your PM there cjt156.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks Tracey.
    Thanks Tracey...

You assured me that the account was ceased and that I would get no more correspondence. But then I got a bill. 

You then assured me that it was generated automatically and that it the Direct Debit wouldn't be processed. But it was.

So I PM'd you last week to ask for the bill to be repaid. No reply.

I've PM'd you again today. I cancelled my account within the 14 day cooling off period, by snail mail, by PM on this forum and by phone. Eir need to return my money or they are in breach of contract.

Thanks Tracey. 

Thanks Tracey.
    Thanks Tracey...

You assured me that the account was ceased and that I would get no more correspondence. But then I got a bill. 

You then assured me that it was generated automatically and that it the Direct Debit wouldn't be processed. But it was.

So I PM'd you last week to ask for the bill to be repaid. No reply.

I've PM'd you again today. I cancelled my account within the 14 day cooling off period, by snail mail, by PM on this forum and by phone. Eir need to return my money or they are in breach of contract.

Thanks Tracey. 
    Hi cjt156,

I'm afraid Tracey has not been available on boards, Can you Pm me and I'll take a look into this.

-Pamela 

PM Sent Pamela. Thanks.

PM Sent Pamela. Thanks.
    Thanks cjt156I'm going through my PM's now and will be back to you shortly.

-Pamela 

So I was advised to contact my bank to stop these direct debits. I don't see why I should have to do the running; as I have said numerous times in PM and on this thread I cancelled within my 14 day cooling off period.
    I cancelled by phone, in writing - by registered letter. I also verified it was cancelled here by PM. At every point of contact I was assured that the contract was cancelled and I would hear no more about it.

Then I got another bill on Friday.

What an absolute shambles. 

So I was advised to contact my bank to stop these direct debits. I don't see why I should have to do the running; as I have said numerous times in PM and on this thread I cancelled within my 14 day cooling off period.
    I cancelled by phone, in writing - by registered letter. I also verified it was cancelled here by PM. At every point of contact I was assured that the contract was cancelled and I would hear no more about it.

Then I got another bill on Friday.

What an absolute shambles. 
    Hi  cjt156,

I have taken a look at your account and I can assure you your account is cancelled. I also removed your direct debit details from it when we were talking on the 12th. 
    The charge on the final bill is for the modem however I have removed this. When closing an account you would be required to return the modem, this would be outlined in the terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf.
    Unfortunately bills are automatically issued and a final bill and closing bill would be issued on the account once it is closed.
    I can assure you there is no balance due on the account and it is closed.

-Pamela  

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,
    I appreciate your assurances, however everyone I have communicated with in eir has given me the same assurances. So I can only wait and see.
    When I cancelled by phone I was told that eir would arrange for the modem to be collected. It remains in its unopened box awaiting collection.

Hi Pamela,
    I appreciate your assurances, however everyone I have communicated with in eir has given me the same assurances. So I can only wait and see.
    When I cancelled by phone I was told that eir would arrange for the modem to be collected. It remains in its unopened box awaiting collection.
    I'm sorry to hear you feel this way  cjt156,
    I have already removed this modem charge from the account so you would not need to return it to us.

-Pamela 

Advertisement