Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

Very disappointing if true.

For a guy that has loved the character all his life, you have to wonder what sort of **** WB are throwing in his way to make him want out of the project and all future projects all together??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

techdiver wrote: »
    Very disappointing if true.

For a guy that has loved the character all his life, you have to wonder what sort of **** WB are throwing in his way to make him want out of the project and all future projects all together??

It's hard to say.

Honestly, I didn't think Man of Steel and BvS weren't bad. They weren't as good as they could have been, but they weren't absolutely terrible either.

Even Laurence Fishburne has been speaking out against DC https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/11/laurence-fishburne-says-marvel-kicking-dcs-wont-appear-zack-snyders-justice-league/

I suspect the Studio Execs are interfering in the making of the movies way way too much and it's frustrating the various directors and actors involved.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's hard to say.

Honestly, I didn't think Man of Steel and BvS weren't bad. They weren't as good as they could have been, but they weren't absolutely terrible either.

Even Laurence Fishburne has been speaking out against DC https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/11/laurence-fishburne-says-marvel-kicking-dcs-wont-appear-zack-snyders-justice-league/

I suspect the Studio Execs are interfering in the making of the movies way way too much and it's frustrating the various directors and actors involved.

I completely agree. I actually like both movies, but it just seems there is a load of crap and interference going on behind the scenes at WB. The icing on the cake was the studio demanding BvS was cut beyond recognition to reduce the run time, regardless of the effect on the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I completely agree. I actually like both movies, but it just seems there is a load of crap and interference going on behind the scenes at WB. The icing on the cake was the studio demanding BvS was cut beyond recognition to reduce the run time, regardless of the effect on the movie.

In fairness, they didn't cut it nearly enough as they should have. Lois chasing the bullet (which resulted in nothing important), Wally, some of Batman's dream sequences... Could have easily cut another half hour out of the movie and it would have felt much tighter with less annoyances.

It's a true shame if Affleck wants to leave as he is far and away the best bit of the DCU so far. His performance in BvS was amazing, and considering Marvel haven't had to really recast any of their major roles yet after 9 years and about 15 movies, it's quite damning if DC/WB have to replace Batman just 4 movies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, they didn't cut it nearly enough as they should have. Lois chasing the bullet (which resulted in nothing important), Wally, some of Batman's dream sequences... Could have easily cut another half hour out of the movie and it would have felt much tighter with less annoyances.

It's a true shame if Affleck wants to leave as he is far and away the best bit of the DCU so far. His performance in BvS was amazing, and considering Marvel haven't had to really recast any of their major roles yet after 9 years and about 15 movies, it's quite damning if DC/WB have to replace Batman just 4 movies in.

Not to mention they'll probably have to get a new Joker too.

Isn't The Batman meant to come out between Justice League films? I always got the impression the JL was a part one film, am I misremembering?

IMO, if a film is unrecognisable or doesn't make sense after being cut down to two and half hours (and it still felt too long for me) I'd be more inclined to blame the director rather than the studio. WB have made some bad decisions but I would not put 'cutting BvS' among them. They want to make money and there's no way anyone would expect your regular cinema goer who's not obsessed with these characters to pay for a three hour movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not to mention they'll probably have to get a new Joker too.

Isn't The Batman meant to come out between Justice League films? I always got the impression the JL was a part one film, am I misremembering?

IMO, if a film is unrecognisable or doesn't make sense after being cut down to two and half hours (and it still felt too long for me) I'd be more inclined to blame the director rather than the studio. WB have made some bad decisions but I would not put 'cutting BvS' among them. They want to make money and there's no way anyone would expect your regular cinema goer who's not obsessed with these characters to pay for a three hour movie.

Justice League was originally announced as a two parter (named Part One and Part Two). WB later rolled back on that, claiming the films were "never meant to be connected" and we're never going to be a 2 parter. Idiots.

I agree also. I've said it before, Snyder knew going in that he'd get, at most, 2.5 hours. It was his duty to make a quality film within those parameters; his failure to do so is his own fault.

It was supposed to be JL Part One and JL Part Two, but they've since changed it and are now saying both will be their own stories and not Part One and Two of the same story.

Marvel have done the same for the next two Avengers films, which were supposed to be Infinity War Part One & Two, but are now Infinity War and no name yet given for the one after.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Affleck is a very shrewd man when it comes to Hollywood and knows how to make money and needs it by all accounts with his alleged gambling issues you don't walk away from a billion dollar franchise over little things.

There would have to be so crazy behind the scenes issues going on for him to give up/walk away from a dream role that at first looked like he was given assurances he could mold as actor, director & producer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Affleck is a very shrewd man when it comes to Hollywood and knows how to make money and needs it by all accounts with his alleged gambling issues you don't walk away from a billion dollar franchise over little things.

There would have to be so crazy behind the scenes issues going on for him to give up/walk away from a dream role that at first looked like he was given assurances he could mold as actor, director & producer.

Midnight's Edge popped a video up today basically implying things WERE going crazy behind the scenes, but I don't see the evidence really. Affleck is not contracted for a solo Batman in his original deal, he could have walked totally if he really wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Campea putting 2 and 2 together on this scoop. Taking into account everything logic would suggest that this is a reasonable possibility.

It's all very disillusioning to have this constant cloud over the verse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Got to feel kinda bad for DC in a way. 5 directors between Wonder Woman and Flash. Crap tonne of casting and script issues.
    Leto was a grossly underwhelming Joker, honestly Cameron Monaghan from Gotham is considerably better in literally every way, and then Leto went off and slated the movie publicly.

On the other hand I lose a lot of pity for them because they insist on allowing the execs to interfere with the making of the movies, unlike Marvel who have had a clearly laid out idea for years and are sticking to it.

DC sold any say they had away a long time ago. WB execs would be laughing at them if they tried to interfere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think WB are playing a very shrewd game. Release absolute muck and people lap it up and double dip to see if it's any better on second viewing.
    wonderwoman will prob be ok because it won't be incumbered with the DC Universe building as much because of its earlier setting.
    We'll all lap it up thinking it's brilliant in comparison to earlier **** like suicide squad and be ready to spend more money on a likely crap justice league.
    Then when the dust settles, they can sort reboot promising us more like wonderwoman and we all go back for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I had originally thought WB were doing some Big Picture thing that just couldn't be seen yet.

Now I'm not sure.

Was thinking JL was gonna be plain but WW was looking good.

Now, not so sure on JL.

Mel Gibson allegedly being eyed to direct Suicide Squad sequel. I think my head would explode from a range of combustible emotions...I call it the Mel Gibson effect. :P

http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-2-mel-gibson-director/

Slydice wrote: »
    I had originally thought WB were doing some Big Picture thing that just couldn't be seen yet.

Now I'm not sure.

Was thinking JL was gonna be plain but WW was looking good.

Now, not so sure on JL.

I think if Justice League was going to be a slam dunk (creatively) we wouldn't be hearing rumours of Affleck leaving. If he thought JL was a good film, he'd probably be well up for more. But here we are...

Mel Gibson in talks to direct Suicide Squad 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Only if he does a cameo as Maxwell Lord.

Only if he does a cameo as Maxwell Lord.

That's Patrick Stewart as Professor X level casting right there

Gibson has been trashing comic book movies over the last while when promoting Hacksaw Ridge.

But if WB/DC could get him involved he might just be the maverick guy they need to shake things up.

• Advertisement

I think he'd be a great pick. Like him or not he is a good director.

It's not the director, it's the writer they need to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

But if WB/DC could get him involved he might just be the maverick guy they need to shake things up.

Yeh but would he be allowed to shake things up. Pretty sure the same thing was said about Ayer: 'It's great that DC/WB are picking these unique directors and allowing them creative control". If I were a a big name director I'd be staying well away from the DCEU given its current state.

Yeh but would he be allowed to shake things up. Pretty sure the same thing was said about Ayer: 'It's great that DC/WB are picking these unique directors and allowing them creative control". If I were a a big name director I'd be staying well away from the DCEU given its current state.

Gibson is a bit of rouge when it comes to the Hollywood game whether he is trying to get back into the Hollywood circle or just happy do his own thing he really unique.

But you are right he just has to look at Affeck whose career mirrors his own to an extent going actor to award winning highly praised director.

If Affeck really does want out maybe Gibson sees this as his way back into the Hollywood circle after years of being ostracized and on the back of the success with Hacksaw Ridge getting involved in a Superhero movie/franchise may just be the way to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gibson has been trashing comic book movies over the last while when promoting Hacksaw Ridge.

I'm not sure 'mavericks' are what DC need though: arguably both Synder and Ayer ticked that box, being strong-willed directors with a fairly distinct pulse to their films, yet aside from the box office their work has been disastrous for the mythology. The problem of course goes beyond the person sitting in the directors chair, but I'm not sure the answer is another force of nature such as Gibson.

At this point, it's probably fair to say that there's not much that can save this universe for them. A "maverick" director isn't going to change much I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

James Garner is dead so Mel is the only Bret Mavrick we got. :p

Funny enough Garner voiced Shazam before he died. Gibson is a great villain in some of his roles he could pull Max off.

At this point, it's probably fair to say that there's not much that can save this universe for them. A "maverick" director isn't going to change much I reckon.

I dunno, there's nothing stopping them from pivoting the tone and direction if they get someone in charge who has the power and will.

How likely is that to happen? Different question, sadly, I think :(

Bringing in someone who hasn't a clue about comic books might actually be a good thing at this stage for WB/DC.

Gibson knows how to direct action that is for sure.

The script issues remain the issues for me Goyer needs to be gotten rid even more than Snyder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bringing in someone who hasn't a clue about comic books might actually be a good thing at this stage for WB/DC.

I feel there are already enough people that fit that bill involved with the DCEU. Exhibit A - Superman killed Zod. Exhibit B - Batman is a gun nut. Exhibit C - Jimmy is a CIA agent and is killed almost immediately. Exhibit D - Gotham and Metropolis are on opposite sides of a river... What the DCEU needs is someone in charge that actually knows and cares about the characters and the universe they live in.

Advertisement