Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

Bacchus wrote: »
    I feel there are already enough people that fit that bill involved with the DCEU. Exhibit A - Superman killed Zod. Exhibit B - Batman is a gun nut. Exhibit C - Jimmy is a CIA agent and is killed almost immediately. Exhibit D - Gotham and Metropolis are on opposite sides of a river... What the DCEU needs is someone in charge that actually knows and cares about the characters and the universe they live in.

Whilst the Superman killing Zod one didn't bother me (as it has happened before), the Batman one was crazy. Now whilst I think the no killing policy is bull in the modern age the fact that he sprays bullets from a gun mounted on the Batmobile and clearly aims to kill as opposed to use his usual clever ways of subduing his opponents didn't sit well with me. Whilst, contrary to popular belief he has killed before (at the end of TDKR, Talia's driver is killed by bullets from Batman), the difference in context is very clear here. There is a big difference between stopping a nuclear weapon exploding and catching some lads transporting kryptonite. If anyone with any knowledge of the character was in some way in charge they wouldn't have allowed this.

Jimmy Olsen was another **** you to the fans also. Snyder actually thought he was being clever doing that!

Killing Clark Kent was a dumb move also. Killing Superman is fine as there is a way back for him, but definitely declaring Clark dead was a mistake in my opinion. You can't have Superman without Clark. They could have declared him missing, or concocted some story with the help of Swanwick or something. It was either lazy or contemptuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bacchus wrote: »
    I feel there are already enough people that fit that bill involved with the DCEU. Exhibit A - Superman killed Zod. Exhibit B - Batman is a gun nut. Exhibit C - Jimmy is a CIA agent and is killed almost immediately. Exhibit D - Gotham and Metropolis are on opposite sides of a river... What the DCEU needs is someone in charge that actually knows and cares about the characters and the universe they live in.

That's where the second part of my post comes in the script the writers need to be changed out.

Directors don't need to be fanboys if the scripts are good they just need to be good directors who have a good understanding of directing on a big scale.

Gibson understands that and is good at it.

Edit. Actually if I was the guy at WB/DC I'd run out and throw money at Kenneth Branagh to come in as director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I dunno, there's nothing stopping them from pivoting the tone and direction if they get someone in charge who has the power and will.

How likely is that to happen? Different question, sadly, I think :(

I would be more open to this line of thinking if Affleck wasn't rumoured to be trying to get out. I think it says a lot, and recasting Batman this early just won't go down well.
    Bringing in someone who hasn't a clue about comic books might actually be a good thing at this stage for WB/DC.

Like Snyder?

Like Snyder?

Well because of the success of 300 from comic to screen for WB's they were looking at him as the man who understood comics.

Once he got his feet under the table he wasn't leaving.

Yup, but he hasn't a fcuking clue about comic books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

They picked the wrong person in Affleck to carry the role. Tbh I hope they take him to the cleaners for trying to renege on his agreement.

You could understand the WB's part of the partnership not knowing that because of the success of 300.

But the DC part of the partnership need to be held accountable for not getting people in who have that understanding.

I blame Goyer more than Snyder myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

You could understand the WB's part of the partnership not knowing that because of the success of 300.

But the DC part of the partnership need to be held accountable for not getting people in who have that understanding.

I blame Goyer more than Snyder myself.

They've gotten Geoff Johns in haven't they? Not many who know more about the comics than him. Though it would seem he has incredibly limited power.

I agree that Goyer seems to be to blame for a lot stupid ideas.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    They picked the wrong person in Affleck to carry the role. Tbh I hope they take him to the cleaners for trying to renege on his agreement.

How so? Affleck was the only good thing about BvS and Suicide Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Another setback for the Ben Affleck Batman movie, Matt Reeves has dropped out of talks to direct.

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/17/matt-reeves-drops-out-of-batman-talks/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Whatever their next move is they have to keep it indoors until they are 100% sure what direction they are taking from here with the Batman film. All this nonsense taking place in the public eye just makes WB look more and more incompetent by the day.

How so? Affleck was the only good thing about BvS and Suicide Squad.

Affleck should have been the mirror to RDJ where even if he might have been unhappy about something (such as the pay of his co stars) he never slated Marvel.

Maybe it's because RDJ was in a different place in his career to Affleck, but he just seems a lot more humble than him. Affleck has been sour since the reviews for BvS came out and it seems clear enough to me that he's out for himself now.

I don't see how that makes him the wrong person to play Batman... also, I haven't seen him slate DC anywhere (though he'd be more than justified if he did).

But of course he's out for himself! Surely it's understandable that if someone was unhappy with a film role, they'd want to maybe try back out of spending the next 3-6 years on it, rather than duck it up just to try help saving a failure of a franchise, in the name of being a team player? Like if my boss asked me to do a shīt job for the next 3 years and I thought it would make me unhappy, I'd definitely be trying to figure out how to politely get out of there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't see how that makes him the wrong person to play Batman... also, I haven't seen him slate DC anywhere (though he'd be more than justified if he did).

But of course he's out for himself! Surely it's understandable that if someone was unhappy with a film role, they'd want to maybe try back out of spending the next 3-6 years on it, rather than duck it up just to try help saving a failure of a franchise, in the name of being a team player? Like if my boss asked me to do a shīt job for the next 3 years and I thought it would make me unhappy, I'd definitely be trying to figure out how to politely get out of there.

I'm also pretty sure if BvS had of lead to the career resurgence Iron Man did Affleck would have been all in. It's not the same situation.

That's true.

It feels like he was too big for the role in a way using hindsight of course because now I feel like if he walks, it puts the character in a very difficult position to move forward.

I'm frustrated at WB for bringing it to this stage but I'm also frustrated that Affleck didn't walk into this with his eyes firmly opened. Sometimes I wish they approached the casting in a similar vein to Superman.

Cavill is someone I feel sorry for more than Affleck as he's arguably been given the bigger stiffening, yet he's always been dignified and enthusiastic in interviews. Even if Affleck stays and the DCEU continues to underwhelm, he'll still have the benefit of being front and centre and "the only good thing about it" in the eyes of many fans. Cavill will just continue to be underused and ridiculed for stuff that isn't even his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A really like Cavill and think he could have been fantastic, but now they've completely boxed themselves into a corner with Superman by killing him off as Clark Kent, meaning even if they do go ahead with a direct Man of Steel film, that aspect of his character is now completely gone. Which means all we'd get again is SuperAnguishedMan

I agree with you both; if Cavill had been allowed to play Superman, I think he'd have been fantastic at it. Maybe he'll get that chance in JL. I feel bad for him cos he's clearly putting his heart and soul into it.

Penn wrote: »
    A really like Cavill and think he could have been fantastic, but now they've completely boxed themselves into a corner with Superman by killing him off as Clark Kent, meaning even if they do go ahead with a direct Man of Steel film, that aspect of his character is now completely gone. Which means all we'd get again is SuperAnguishedMan

The story they've told thus far demands a bit more of Superanguishedman but I think Cavill will get his moment to shine and be the leader he should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    The story they've told thus far demands a bit more of Superanguishedman but I think Cavill will get his moment to shine and be the leader he should be.

100% agree. It's a superman still learning. I find this approach 100 times more interesting than if he had just been the red white and blue boy scout from the off. I hope we get to see the character arc through in future films and this whole universe doesn't come crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Some good news, Matt Reeves to direct & produce The Batman.

http://screenrant.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-official-direct/

• Advertisement

:eek::eek: Chris McKay, director of The LEGO Batman Movie, is in talks to direct a live-action Nightwing film!

A Nightwing movie without seeing Dick being Robin, or learning from Batman first... another waste...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

A Nightwing movie without seeing Dick being Robin, or learning from Batman first... another waste...

Why? We don't need a Nightwing origin story. We can pretty easily guess that he has already been Robin in-universe and that we're at least passed the Jason Todd stage. Dick hasn't been Robin in the comics for yonks, we still get some great Nightwing stories.

Given what they have as canon it also makes the most sense that he's already established in Bludhaven or if they really really wanted to be out there with Spyral. Although that of course would be a Grayson not Nightwing movie.

It's WB/DC we are taking about I wouldn't surprised if Robin and Nightwing were all shoehorned into the JL movie in some way and then set up in flashbacks in The Batman just to give them a way to make it.

Or have him as the male star in Ayer’s Gotham City Sirens.

My tuppence WB/DC should get a cable tv network in the States to make a Nightwing series much like the Netflix Marvel series.

Netflix won't do it with there links to Marvel/Disney.

It's WB/DC we are taking about I wouldn't surprised if Robin and Nightwing were all shoehorned into the JL movie in some way and then set up in flashbacks in The Batman just to give them a way to make it.

Would much rather flashbacks than f*cking dream sequences like BvS...

"It's a flashback... no wait, it's a dream... no... it's a nightmare... wait.... it's a possible alternate future... or maybe time travel... or is it just a dream... Oh wait, it's just a bunch of random sh*t..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We seen the Jason Todd Robin suit in Batman vs Superman (covered in joker slogans) in the batcave so Nightwing should already be in play in the time line as Jason would be the second Robin after Dick Grayson.

Why? We don't need a Nightwing origin story. We can pretty easily guess that he has already been Robin in-universe and that we're at least passed the Jason Todd stage. Dick hasn't been Robin in the comics for yonks, we still get some great Nightwing stories.

Given what they have as canon it also makes the most sense that he's already established in Bludhaven or if they really really wanted to be out there with Spyral. Although that of course would be a Grayson not Nightwing movie.

The waste is missing out on Dick's formative years under Bruce's wing, his crush and budding relationship with Babs while they're learning their way together, his eventual realisation that he doesn't need to be Robin anymore and the change in dynamic between him and Batman. There's SO much good stuff there to be shown but instead we'll get another character whose story we come into the middle of... it's a narrative waste.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The waste is missing out on Dick's formative years under Bruce's wing, his crush and budding relationship with Babs while they're learning their way together, his eventual realisation that he doesn't need to be Robin anymore and the change in dynamic between him and Batman. There's SO much good stuff there to be shown but instead we'll get another character whose story we come into the middle of... it's a narrative waste.

I am always ranting about ignoring what makes the characters loved but in Nightwing's case it is ESSENTIAL. He is the anti Batman, gregarious, friendly, compassionate, all the while being as good at superheroing as Batman and the irony in the situation is he learned all of these from Bruce, who cannot see these things in himself- except, usually, when Nightwing is around. There's so much good storytelling potential there!

There's one epic moment when Batman is being such an huge dick (ahem) to those around him Nightwing loses it and finally it comes to blows.In order to stop him without hurting him, Batman deliberately stands in front of the Jason Todd costume case and dodges so Dick punches right into it. Shocked at what he's done, he stops.

In the DCEU right now, they'd use that image, but they wouldn't bother with the world building that makes it mean anything.

Agreed. It's the same as jumping to an older, more ruthless Batman. We didn't get to see why he became like this. I don't mean origin story or learning how to be Batman, but we're given an older Batman who is willing to kill, a Batman who has retired, who has already given up, whose sidekick has been killed... and they just skip over all of that. They showed us the end result of all that very significant history of the version of the character they created, a lot of which hasn't been done in any previous Batman movies, and just leave that potentially great story in the dust.

Similarly with Nightwing, so much of the history of the character would make a great story, but instead WB/DC yet again are jumping past that. We got The Dark Knight Returns version of Batman in his first film in this DCEU. We got the Death of Superman in his second f*cking film. These versions of the characters and those stories had decades of backstory that made those stories what they were. They haven't been earned yet in the DCEU.

Something like Captain America Civil War works because of the build up in previous movies. Same with Tony's reasons for creating Ultron in Avengers 2 (because of what happened in Avengers 1 and Iron Man 3). WB/DC are jumping to the big moments without setting them up sufficiently. Same I think for jumping straight to Nightwing without giving us any Robin.

Though that being said, with the point Batman is at, it makes sense in terms of story that Dick would be at that Nightwing stage in his life (but it then also doesn't make sense why he wouldn't include him in the Justice League unless they work that into the story/dialogue).

• Advertisement

Batman v Superman cleans up at the Razzies winning 4 awards.

Advertisement