Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Well that just looks horrible I have to say.

Never had you down Coulson as a man that likes a bit of hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I mostly agree, but it did have some good moments. Aquaman particularly looks like he's going to steal the show. And Affleck still seems like he's going to nail it as Batman.

That being said, everything still looks dark and grey. Grey enemies, grey areas, almost every scene at night... even the shots of Atlantis look fairly dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Agreed. Basically nothing good about this trailer.

Penn wrote: »
    I mostly agree, but it did have some good moments. Aquaman particularly looks like he's going to steal the show. And Affleck still seems like he's going to nail it as Batman.

That being said, everything still looks dark and grey. Grey enemies, grey areas, almost every scene at night... even the shots of Atlantis look fairly dull.

What will you do in November when the weather is awful and you'll have to bare watching this film in its dull pallette.

The thought horrifies me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Have to agree with all of you lads.

It just looks so dull, lifeless and grey.

I'm tired of bashing DC films so: Gal Gadot is pretty much Wonder Woman for me after BvS so happy to see her back, Ezra Miller looks fun as Barry, and if Aquaman is a fun dude bro through out the film annoying Batman that could be good comic relief.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've lost patience with DC/WB, but at the very least their trailers have tended to be decent. This wasn't. Not even slightly. Dull lifeless over-stylised noise. It's all so goddamn UGLY to look at. I'm still thinking Wonder Woman might be the one good film in all this, but life's too short to waste on another Synder indulgence.

I'm not sure I'm even gonna bother going to the cinema to see WW or JL.... I never thought it would come to this...

I'm not sure I'm even gonna bother going to the cinema to see WW or JL.... I never thought it would come to this...

If you really want to see the end of the Snyderverse then that's the only thing to do. Stop giving them your money if you're that dissatisfied.

I don't even care about them continuing or ending it at the point. It's time I don't want to waste. That said, I'll almost certainly watch these at some point. But to even *consider* not seeing a Justice League movie in the cinema is, for me, a huge deal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't even care about them continuing or ending it at the point. It's time I don't want to waste. That said, I'll almost certainly watch these at some point. But to even *consider* not seeing a Justice League movie in the cinema is, for me, a huge deal.

Same for me. I really want for this film to be great. I really want to be there on the first night all hype.

If this reviews badly, I'm going to have to ensure they don't get a penny from me instead. Second beloved childhood franchise I'll have to try to ruin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would be in the same mind I never thought I'd see the day I couldn't be arsed going a Batman/Superman any Superhero film for that matter but this might just be it.

I watched the trailer again and I think I will stick with my original choice of words it was horrible and so so bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's as obvious as day to me ye shouldn't be going to see them. It's so obvious that this version isn't for ye so step away and put your time into something you enjoy instead.

When something just isn't landing with you and you continue to go see it. It's just kinda pointless. Unless you enjoy the complaining of course.

It's as obvious as day to me ye shouldn't be going to see them. It's so obvious that this version isn't for ye so step away and put your time into something you enjoy instead.

When something just isn't landing with you and you continue to go see it. It's just kinda pointless. Unless you enjoy the complaining of course.

The issue is that the version of the characters and stories they're putting out should be for us. We're fans of superhero movies, and superhero culture in general. If they're making something which, I would say the majority of such fans have an issue with, then the issue lies with the people making the movies, not the people complaining about them.

I want the DC films to be great. I want them to succeed. I want to really enjoy them. Hell even though a lot of people complain about it, I f*cking loved Dark Knight Rises. You're not going to get all the fans all the time.

But now the percentage of fans they're getting and that these films are "landing with" is way too low because they're making such stupid and short-sighted decisions for no good reason. They're changing fundamental aspects of the characters to shoehorn in stuff that doesn't need to be shoehorned in.

How can you possibly have a movie called "Batman V Superman" which a large number of Batman and Superman fans don't like? It should have been the simplest thing in the world. Sorry, but fans of these types of films and characters have every right to complain when what should have been an open goal, bounces off the post and hits the striker in his own face.

We should be going to see them. It's the films which need to be better.

I find it hard to move myself to the cinema if I know something isn't going to be for me, even if I love the overall story.

Take Logan for example. Loved the X Men growing up, and I rate Days of Future Past, First Class, The Wolverine and X-Men 2 as good to excellent entries in the genre, but all the rumblings leading up to Logan being released just couldn't inspire me to see it. The continual stressing of both Mangold and Jackman that the film was distancing itself from the overall story put me right off to the point that I said to myself: I can live without seeing it for awhile.

Loved the LOTR trilogy and saw the first Hobbit film in high anticipation, but could tell quickly that they were really going to wear things thin by extending the story to 3 films. Ended up not seeing the 2nd and 3rd films in the cinema.

And I do love the cinema, and try to go as much as I can, but if I know something is probably going to disappoint me I'm going to postpone seeing it in the immediate.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I find it hard to move myself to the cinema if I know something isn't going to be for me, even if I love the overall story.

But again, a film like Batman V Superman should be for me (I saw it 3 times in the cinema). A film like Suicide Squad should be for me. (using "me" in the widest sense of the word)

I try not to listen too much to critics and stuff because sometimes (and even with BvS) they can be overly harsh. I want to see the films regardless, and enjoy the event of going to the cinema. And ultimately, I want them to be good. I want each next one to be better than the last one. I know myself that even if Wonder Woman is terrible, I'll still go see Justice League because I'll still want it to be the one where they get it right. Even though I know I'm adding to the problem because it means WB will still make their money (though not as much as they should) and will probably just keep going the way they're going, I want to see the film and I want it to be good.

So if this version of the films and characters aren't for someone like me, who the f*ck are they for?

Not every iteration of a character will appeal to someone regardless of how you much you might love that character and that's fine. If I use the Batman Elseworld stories as an example, there's some that don't appeal at all to me, while others do.

I love Batman but not every story he's featured in will appeal to me. I'll know that by reading a synopsis and I'll leave it at that rather than spend my money on something I know won't be for me.

Of course, the comics are the comics and a film is a rare thing in comparison. People have the right to expect more from the latter in terms of catering to a wider audience, but at the end of the day it is what it is......and that's the Snyderverse. At this stage if someone has had no time for all the entries thus far, I really don't see the point in continuing your own misery.

The truth is, and it probably shows how scummy the WB mentality is, that they don't give a sh1t about what you or I think because they know we're going to go see their films anyway. That's why they know they can get away with taking the piss with their extended cuts on blu ray while serving up a mangled theatrical cut: they know they have a core audience hooked.

They're essentially saying what are you going to do about it.....not a lot it seems.

The way I see it is you probably wont like every version and no the director is not under any obligation to bend to your will. I firmly believe a director should be able to make their vision of a story, and not the by the number committee movie making we so often get with these comic book movies.

It's my biggest problem with the marvel movies. They are very formulaic and even though going in I know I probably won't see a really bad film, I also know I probably won't see a really great film either. So I enjoy the more unpredictable nature of the DC films as a counter balance to the very safe, very calculated nature of the Marvel universe.

The director's cut of BvS was a better film, but by the time it came out the damage had been done to its reputation. You might not like the way that Snyder makes films and that's fine but at least they have some kind of different feel to them.

I can't stand the campy nature of the 66 batman. I know it annoys me so I skipped the recent animated 66 style movie. I didn't get mad because a version they were releasing was not for me and I don't go about on message boards posting that releasing it has ruined batman for me.

I understand it's a bit different when it's a major release film but at the same time when you've seen Man of Steel and BVS you know what is coming with justice league so why put yourself and the threads through post after post of "looks horrible", "don't like the colours " or my favourite "Batman looks too dark and moody".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good post IM...

It's for another thread but I've no major problem with how Marvel do things and indeed, the beauty of what they do lies in its simplicity. It can't be denied that what they do well far outweighs the things they might not do so well.

But variety is important, and while not perfect I still want WB/DC to plough on with their vision without compromising it.

I should be able to enjoy at least the spectacle of watching DC characters come to life without having to listen to a wave of critics (who all think they're unique in how withering and witty they are....even though they all say the same tired sh1t) talk about how awful WB/DC are for not doing things the way Marvel do it.

The way I see it is you probably wont like every version and no the director is not under any obligation to bend to your will. I firmly believe a director should be able to make their vision of a story, and not the by the number committee movie making we so often get with these comic book movies.

It's my biggest problem with the marvel movies. They are very formulaic and even though going in I know I probably won't see a really bad film, I also know I probably won't see a really great film either. So I enjoy the more unpredictable nature of the DC films as a counter balance to the very safe, very calculated nature of the Marvel universe.

The director's cut of BvS was a better film, but by the time it came out the damage had been done to its reputation. You might not like the way that Snyder makes films and that's fine but at least they have some kind of different feel to them.

I can't stand the campy nature of the 66 batman. I know it annoys me so I skipped the recent animated 66 style movie. I didn't get mad because a version they were releasing was not for me and I don't go about on message boards posting that releasing it has ruined batman for me.

I understand it's a bit different when it's a major release film but at the same time when you've seen Man of Steel and BVS you know what is coming with justice league so why put yourself and the threads through post after post of "looks horrible", "don't like the colours " or my favourite "Batman looks too dark and moody".

I actually had no issue with Snyder before BvS, and I'd go so far as to say my biggest issue was with the writing than the directing, though I don't know how much of the writing Snyder was involved in. I really liked Watchmen even though it gets sh*t on a lot.

But again, the issue isn't "Oh, well this version of Batman and Superman isn't for me". The issue is who is this version of the characters actually for, because they're changing fundamental aspects of the characters that the majority of fans like for no good reason. They're purposefully doing things which they know will annoy fans ("Hi, I'm Jimmy Ols*BANG*") and they're mashing together so many different elements/stories from things that fans do like into an incoherent mess.

It's just hugely disappointing as like I said, BvS should have been the simplest thing in the world to get right, and they messed it up. I lament the missed opportunity more than anything else, and simply hope that they can pull together something that can strike a greater balance between what the majority of fans want and what the director's vision is, in a way that will then turn into greater profits and a much stronger DCEU going forward.

• Advertisement

It's for another thread but I've no major problem with how Marvel do things and indeed, the beauty of what they do lies in its simplicity. It can't be denied that what they do well far outweighs the things they might not do so well.

But variety is important, and while not perfect I still want WB/DC to plough on with their vision without compromising it.

I should be able to enjoy at least the spectacle of watching DC characters come to life without having to listen to a wave of critics (who all think they're unique in how withering and witty they are....even though they all say the same tired sh1t) talk about how awful WB/DC are for not doing things the way Marvel do it.

WB definitely shouldn't do things the way Marvel do things. It wouldn't work at all. But I personally feel Marvel treat their characters with more respect for the source material and what the majority of fans like about the characters than WB have done for the DC characters thus far.

Add Batgirl to the list.

Joss Whedon signed to write, direct and produce a Batgirl movie for Warner Bros.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/832167-breaking-joss-whedon-to-direct-batgirl-movie

Holy ****. Wasn't expecting that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't see that coming. Feels like a big FU to Marvel from Whedon.

With Whedon, Reeves and possibly Vaughn, WB is really sticking to its "filmmaker-driven approach" to the DCEU despite the terrible mistake they made with Snyder.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Marvel didn't give him the Black Widow film he wanted made so he jumped ship and may just save the WB/DC Universe.

I don't think Whedon would sign on lightly. If he has then I can only assume he's been given fair licence.

Really don't know what to do with this information... maybe just cross my fingers..!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holy ****. Wasn't expecting that.

Me either

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Justice League rumoured run time is 2 hours 50 minutes.

http://flavorwire.com/602478/that-justice-league-movie-is-gonna-be-so-****ing-long

• Advertisement

Hopefully this one makes it to cinemas with its full run time.

Advertisement