Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Ya....has to be horse**** unless they're planning on not playing it straight with Clark....again.

I'll go with horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They'll use the name "Red Son" or imply it's kinda based on it and then have it relate to nothing from the comic. It's just a marketable name.

There's no way they could actually do that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've heard about red son and seen some of the google image search results.

Don't know the story though .. bar the outline.

Sounds like cool idea.

Slydice wrote: »

Sounds like cool idea.

It's a very interesting and from what I heard well executed story, but the problem is that it doesn't quite fit with what they established already. I think people just want a MOS sequel that will let Clark be Clark and play to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henry Cavill has talked about it being his favourite Superman story when doing research for the role.

I'd guess myself it will be done as a Warner Animated film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Red Son is fantastic; up there with Millar's best. But it only works for these reasons:
    1. It's an Elseworlds story, which they can't really do for film
    2. Superman's behaviour as a villainous dictator is antithetical to who the character is supposed to be - which really doesn't work when the established DCEU version is a murderer

The more I think about it, the more confident I am that it'll be animated. Thank jaysus.

I might read this again, now that we're talking about it...!

Slydice wrote: »

Sounds like cool idea.

It only works though based on Superman landing in Russia as a baby and being raised with certain values which we know isn't what happened in the DCEU, because we know he was raised in Smallville by the Kents. Plus the alternate versions of other characters can't then exist either.

It's a great story, but cannot be implemented in the DCEU without completely changing the entire basis of the story, thereby making it so different that it will be Red Son in name only.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Penn wrote: »
    It only works though based on Superman landing in Russia as a baby and being raised with certain values which we know isn't what happened in the DCEU, because we know he was raised in Smallville by the Kents. Plus the alternate versions of other characters can't then exist either.

It's a great story, but cannot be implemented in the DCEU without completely changing the entire basis of the story, thereby making it so different that it will be Red Son in name only.

... unless you'd already seeded the fact that the flash might be able to jump dimensions, for example one where Darkseid ruled the earth, that everyone assumed was time travel...

... unless you'd already seeded the fact that the flash might be able to jump dimensions, for example one where Darkseid ruled the earth, that everyone assumed was time travel...

I thought it was a dream... :p

In comics, sure. But introducing alternate dimensions in a cinematic universe is just going to alienate casual fans far too much to warrant it.

Not saying they can't use it to an extent (like you say, having The Flash be able to travel between dimensions), but setting an entire film in an alternate dimension which is completely different from the other films... It's not a risk worth taking. I think you'd annoy and lose a lot of cinemagoers.

I remember my sister and her husband being confused that Joseph Gordon Levitt wasn't playing Robin in BvS. They knew Bale and Caine were recast, but didn't initially get that BvS wasn't a continuation of the Nolan films. They didn't even get that JGL became Batman at the end of TDKR and that Bruce retired with Selina, they thought JGL was going to become Robin because his real name was Robin.

Drop them into a film and have Superman speaking with a Russian accent and you'll have completely lost them from the start. The movies have to be built for the fans but also for the wider audience. Alternate realities or Elseworlds... can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

In comics, sure. But introducing alternate dimensions in a cinematic universe is just going to alienate casual fans far too much to warrant it.

I was not implying it was a good idea... but frankly I don't trust Warner to tie their own shoe laces right now (although WW has bought them time and the Whedon reshoots has bought them interest from me).

Not saying they can't use it to an extent (like you say, having The Flash be able to travel between dimensions), but setting an entire film in an alternate dimension which is completely different from the other films... It's not a risk worth taking. I think you'd annoy and lose a lot of cinemagoers.

With one exception... I would absolutely dig an Avengers movie mostly set in an alternate universe, if it was centred on our Avengers visiting that world and encountering alternate versions of themselves and having to save the day in that universe. I know we're not talking about the MCU here but the DCEU definitely couldn't pull that off...!

With one exception... I would absolutely dig an Avengers movie mostly set in an alternate universe, if it was centred on our Avengers visiting that world and encountering alternate versions of themselves and having to save the day in that universe. I know we're not talking about the MCU here but the DCEU definitely couldn't pull that off...!

Ah yeah, if you have existing characters travelling between worlds, that could work because that's a strong link to the previous films and characters the audience knows, plus you'd likely show how they ended up in an alternate reality and how they get back. DCEU could feasibly pull off similar like Doctor Doom said with The Flash, and maybe we see him travel to an alternate reality and see a little of different versions of the characters (like maybe a Batman who doesn't kill or a Superman who smiles :D), but it would need to be strongly linked back to the main DCEU for it to work. I'm just not sure if the risk equals the reward because when it comes to alternate realities and time travel stories, you can lose casual viewers, and cause hardcore fans to complain and pick holes in it (see The Flash tv show for example).

I honestly wouldn't put it past the brain council at the DCEU to bring Clark/Kal-El back from the dead at a Commie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

now I'm reminded of

:D

Matt Reeves while doing promos for “War For The Planet Of The Apes” say he wants to do a “noir-driven, detective version” of Batman and see The Batman as a Trilogy.

Not sure how a noir version would fit into this DCEU.

I think it'd defo fit tbh. I'd welcome it. I wanna see Batman be a detective for once.

The bit in SS where Batman tracked down Deadshot did have feeling to it.

I just think the DCEU is all over the shop stylistically wise at the moment.

A noir Batman would be great and a dedicated trilogy would be fantastic if done right but part of me would like to see that done as a standalone series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I like the fact he's saying he has a plan for a trilogy, if you are doing one I think it's better to have an overall plan in place from the start. Although I'd prefer they just got the first one out before getting ahead of themselves announcing stuff again.

As someone said on twitter, a "detective version" of Batman is actually just Batman to people outside of Hollywood :D

• Advertisement

Just passed Deadpool in the US Box office.
    vancityreynoldsThe Merc May Be Filthier, but Her B.O. is Stronger. Congrats #WonderWoman #BoxOfficeBoss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWYyVO2jV86/

Jaume Collet-Serra is now favourite to get the director's gig for SS 2.

Expect Liam Neeson to get a part then as he has starred in 3 of his movies.

Jaume Collet-Serra is now favourite to get the director's gig for SS 2.

Expect Liam Neeson to get a part then as he has starred in 3 of his movies.

Liam Neeson as Deathstroke would be a dream.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Liam Neeson as Deathstroke would be a dream.

I'd replace dream with nightmare/joke/disaster etc.

That said, I've zero interest in another Suicide Squad movie so I doubt I'll ever see it...!

Deathstroke in most media lately has been portrayed as an older, griseled, foe to Batman and Neeson has proved himself in such roles, so I'd be much more enthusiastic about seeing him in the role than Manganiello....who I watched for years in True Blood and frankly doesn't strike me as having the presence to carry the role cinematically.

It's no coincidence that all of a sudden his place in the DCEU is in doubt with the change in direction on the Batman solo film. Obviously someone realised that having him as a co-lead wasn't working.

Neeson did well in the Taken movies but they weren't really taken all that seriously. Part of the fun of them was that the role didn't really fit him. The incongruity made it a laugh. I don't think he's intimidating enough to stand against Batman; not in that way at least.

Manganiello isn't a great actor, though likeable enough. I don't think he'd make a great Deathstroke either tbh.

Matt Reeves won't be using Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns script for The Batman and will start from scratch.

Matt Reeves won't be using Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns script for The Batman and will start from scratch.

He announced that as soon as he was signed, no?

On one hand, good to see that he's really taking the reins with it. On the other, Affleck and Johns both know their shít so.... I dunno!

He announced that as soon as he was signed, no?

On one hand, good to see that he's really taking the reins with it. On the other, Affleck and Johns both know their shít so.... I dunno!

He announced it on an MTV podcast last night in the States maybe it had been know but he made it official last night.

• Advertisement

Was just looking up Matt Reeves history:

Nominations: Empire Award for Best Director, Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Feature Film

Advertisement