Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another theme-park movie? Man, Disney won't let go of that idea, eh?

Well at this stage, who in their right mind would want to take on that film anyway? Any director with an ounce of artistic integrity would look at the manner Suicide Squad 1 was handled in post-production and run a mile. It's funny how Mel Gibson was touted at one stage to direct, because thinking on it, an auteur personality is about the only person likely to win in any battle with the studio; if instead they hire a hack of the John Moore mould, or a wet-behind-the-ears indie director, that's a clear sign of more studio meddling IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Joker Origin Story

Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Martin Scorsese :eek: Aboard WB/DC Film
    EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC are in the early stages of another Batman Universe spinoff movie, this one telling the origin story of the signature villain The Joker. The studio has set The Hangover‘s Todd Phillips to co-write a script with 8 Mile scribe Scott Silver. Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips. This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

I’m told that the intention is to make an origin story that isn’t part of any other iteration. The Joker has memorably been part of two Batman movies in the form of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger, and was most recently played by Jared Leto in the first Suicide Squad film. He will reprise in the Suicide Squad sequel and the Harley Quinn spinoff, but this new film will launch the character with a different actor, possibly younger.

An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I’m told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-martin-scorsese-scott-silver-batman-dc-universe-1202154053/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yet again, WB shows they have no idea what they're doing.

It really does seem they are trying to hard at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, you gotta hand it to them though; every time you think WB have run out of stupid ideas, they come up with a new one! Only these guys would think what the world needs is a backstory for comicbooks most intentional enigma & force of natue / chaos. Not to mention a character that kinda needs his nemesis to work best.

Sigh.

I also love the purely cynical nature of name-checking the Scorcesse films, as if there's a snowflake's chance in hell any final film would be allowed to be as small scale & intimate as those films. Blockbusters gotta blockbust, and bar an era appropriate licensed track, I guarantee the theatrical release will be as big, loud and shallow as any other summer feature. Even Wonder Woman was guilty of that in the end.

Throw 50 million at a hungry creative / indie director, and yeah, maybe there'll be something to the above waffle about a hard-boiled crime film; we all know that won't happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Stupid idea after stupid idea after stupid idea after stupid idea after stupid idea after...etc

They've really lost the run of themselves. They have no idea what they're doing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm actually getting tired of ragging on WB. Please do more things we can like. You managed it once!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well at least with a Joker spin off, anyone for William Dafoe to portray the character?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭kerplun k

What the actual hell is going on here?

Is Affleck still Batman? Is Matt Reeves The Batman still part of DCEU?
    Do we have two Joker films now? Origin story and Harly/Joker movie? will both be part of the DCEU?

Here's a list of all the upcoming WB DC films I could find. Which ones will actually be made into films?
    Aquaman
    Shazam
    Wonder Woman 2
    Cyborg
    Green Lantern Corps
    Justice League Dark
    Flashpoint
    The Batman[edit]
    Man of Steel 2
    Suicide Squad 2
    Gotham City Sirens
    Black Adam
    Nightwing
    Batgirl
    Joker/Harley Quinn
    Joker Origin

Have WB got a grand master plan that they are not telling us about?
    Will they just use Flashpoint to swap out anyone and anything they don't like? I mean, Affleck is defiantly in JL, so will Flashpoint happen, and then Reeves film be a soft reboot for Batman, while still having connections to DCEU?

It kinda feels like MCU are the goody goody two shoes, so organised and structured, while DCEU/WB are just crazy deranged maniacs, doing whatever the hell they want.

I loved BvS and SS, so I hope they keep it up, and keep announcing and making random projects. :)

'Crazy, Stupid, Love' Filmmakers to Write, Direct Joker and Harley Quinn Movie

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as DC's most popular villains.
    Who’s laughing now?

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, directors and executive producers of the hit NBC drama This Is Us and who also wrote and helmed the 2011 film Crazy, Stupid, Love, are entering the DC cinematic universe at Warner Bros.

The duo are in final negotiations to pen and helm an untitled movie project centering on Batman villains Joker and Harley Quinn.

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as the villains, among the most popular characters in the DC pantheon and which they first portrayed in 2016’s Suicide Squad.

Insiders say that the plan is for this feature to go after the studio makes a sequel to Suicide Squad. The latter is on the development fast-track and out to directors. But the Joker and Harley Quinn movie is also moving fast as Warners has to contend with actors' holding agreements, say sources.

The film is described as a “criminal love story,” according to one source, featuring the two murdering maniacs who are cornerstones in the Batman mythos. One insider offered this: "an insane and twisted love story. When Harry Met Sally on benzedrine."

Additionally, the project falls within Warners' main line of movies based on their DC properties. That includes the current pics released and in production that feature Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, among other characters who collectively form the Justice League.

Warner Bros. is simultaneously beginning to develop a line of DC-related films that will fall outside the established cinematic universe which sees actors and storylines threaded through multiple movies.

The new line, or possibly label, will allow for the making of movies that will stand apart and separate from those big-budget tentpoles.

And, in a move showing how popular the character is, a Joker solo movie is being developed as a potential directing vehicle for The Hangover filmmaker Todd Phillips. It is intended to star an actor other than Leto. (Requa and Ficarra's Joker/Quinn project is further along in development than Phillips' Joker project, at least at this stage, according to one source.)

This strategy will distinguish Warners’ superhero movies from those of competitors, namely Disney, which has a highly interconnected Marvel universe of films as well as Star Wars. The latter has the main saga, first begun by creator George Lucas decades ago, and is now making stand-alone outings that are, at least at this stage, intended to fill in backstory for the main and ongoing story.

Warner Bros. may not be expanding its universe as much as doubling down on the voracious appetite audiences seem to have for these characters at this point in time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-harley-quinn-movie-scores-crazy-stupid-love-filmmakers-write-direct-1032210

• Advertisement

‘The Batman’ Director Matt Reeves: ‘It’s a Standalone, It’s Not Part of the Extended Universe
    Matt Reeves, director of the upcoming “The Batman,” says the film won’t be a part of the DC Extended Universe that includes the Justice League and Wonder Woman, but rather a standalone Bat-story.

In an interview with Los Angeles’ KCRW, the filmmaker said: “Well, I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When they [Warner Bros.] approached me, what they said was ‘look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe.'”

The filmmaker has previously said he set aside an original script written by Ben Affleck and DC entertainment president Geoff Johns, and is “starting again” on a completely new take. “No. It’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool,” Reeves told MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast last month.

Affleck and Johns wrote their script while the “Argo” Oscar-winner was still set to direct as well as star in “The Batman.”

The concept envisioned by Affleck and Johns featured Deathstroke the Terminator as the main villain, and Joe Manganiello was hired to play the supervillain. Whether that’s still the case remains to be seen, and Manganiello himself recently said he isn’t sure if he’s still in “The Batman.”

http://www.thewrap.com/matt-reeves-batman-dc-extended-universe/

Well now WB/DC are really just taking the p1ss and ruining their franchises.

Well now WB/DC are really just taking the p1ss and ruining their franchises.

Okay, just so I'm clear.

Martin Scorsese Joker = Non DCEU
    Matt Reeves Batman = Non DCEU

Joker&Harley = Part of DCEU
    Affleck Batman JL = Part of DCEU

So, this means... We'll have two actors playing Batman & Joker. Two versions of each with two being stand alone movies and the other two being part of DCEU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

That Joker origin movie will never get made. If it does, it means that WB has been doing absolutely zero market research. I'd imagine it was one of a bunch of pitches that were put forward for possible projects, similar to the recent Superman - Red Son story. Doesn't necessarily mean it will even come close to being made. The Joker/Harley movie seems like a much more likely project, and something with more potential to make some bank, which it is all about at the end of the day.

Matt Reeve's Batman is more worrying. I really hope he was misquoted and just meant that his movie won't be connected to ongoing events in the Justice League storyline, which seems more plausible to me than WB thinking it's okay to give us yet another iteration of Batman outside of what has been established.

gloobag wrote: »
    Matt Reeve's Batman is more worrying. I really hope he was misquoted and just meant that his movie won't be connected to ongoing events in the Justice League storyline, which seems more plausible to me than WB thinking it's okay to give us yet another iteration of Batman outside of what has been established.

That's my reading of it too. That it's a standalone Batman story in the sense that he doesn't want other characters or their stories crossing over into it and having to balance references to the other films etc, but that it's still part of the DCEU continuity.

I hope that's what they mean anyway.

gloobag wrote: »
    That Joker origin movie will never get made. If it does, it means that WB has been doing absolutely zero market research. I'd imagine it was one of a bunch of pitches that were put forward for possible projects, similar to the recent Superman - Red Son story. Doesn't necessarily mean it will even come close to being made. The Joker/Harley movie seems like a much more likely project, and something with more potential to make some bank, which it is all about at the end of the day.

Ah, makes sense, thanks for the clearing that up.

I hope WB don't abandon ship with the DCEU.
    They need to ignore the critics. I have my own issues with the current state of film criticism. They seem intent on destroying this franchise. They pretty much make their minds up before seeing these films.

I hope WB keep doing what they are doing. I love the way they don't play things safe with these films and use a dark undertone. Both BvS and SS were excellent. F**k the critics. Both performed well at the Box office, so keep going.

Also, I think Affleck is a fantastic Bruce Wayne. Its a shame his Batman project was canned, okay, he made a mistake Directing/starring in Live by Night, but he was in the middle of BvS, JL when he made this, plus he was going through some personal problems. Argo and The Town were both great. I'll never forgive Reeve's if he drops Affleck and makes The Batman a standalone.

In spite of the criticism it has faced, DCEU franchise has pushed on and established some great characters, I just hope they stick with it and push on. If Reeve's gets his own way, he'll kill the whole dam thing. Even if he makes a brilliant Nolanesque Batman, I'll still hate him.

Maybe the tactic at this stage is to just 'leak' as many brain-farts as possible, see which ones get the best response, then WB can claim they were listening to fans all along
    kerplun k wrote: »
    They need to ignore the critics. I have my own issues with the current state of film criticism. They seem intent on destroying this franchise. They pretty much make their minds up before seeing these films.

I hope WB keep doing what they are doing. I love the way they don't play things safe with these films and use a dark undertone. Both BvS and SS were excellent. F**k the critics. Both performed well at the Box office, so keep going.

I've seen a lot of things written about Suicide Squad, but you're the first person I've read to call it 'excellent' :) I mean sure, Batman v. Superman didn't fail through a lack of trying, it had its strengths in Affleck and Gadot in particular, but SS was a total mess. I don't think you can blame the critics for taking aim at some fairly low hanging fruit.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of things written about Suicide Squad, but you're the first person I've read to call it 'excellent' :) I mean sure, Batman v. Superman didn't fail through a lack of trying, it had its strengths in Affleck and Gadot in particular, but SS was a total mess. I don't think you can blame the critics for taking aim at some fairly low hanging fruit.

Yeah as flawed and all as BvS was and the huge issues I had with it, Suicide Squad was just so awful. In almost every way. The fact it didn't bomb financially at the box office is definitely no indication that they're on the right track with it.

It was just so, so bad...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe the tactic at this stage is to just 'leak' as many brain-farts as possible, see which ones get the best response, then WB can claim they were listening to fans all along

Smith, Robbie, Davis, Courtney were all great.
    Leto didn't have enough screen time to make an impact as The Joker, but you could tell from what was shown, that he was completely dedicated to the role, but he definitely left me wanting more.

It's a "superhero" film solely based on the villains. when have you seen that done before? It adds a complexity and depth to these villains, something Marvel wouldn't even dream of doing. Its not an easy thing to do. Huge respect to WB for going with this.

It was self aware, it knew how ridiculous it was, the stuff with Killer Croc, Katana, Captain Boomerang, it didn't shy away from it and poked fun at itself. These aren't easy characters to do. Captain Boomerang was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at the bit with Slipknot. I loved the Batman/Joker/Quinn scene. there was some great action sequences and towards the end I was genuinely rooting for these villains. IMO, it was underappreciated.

Id love to see Batman pair off against Deadshot. or if the The Flash in his own solo movie, had a small encounter with Captain Boomerang. or if the Joker/Harley Quinn came up against the JL. I care more about these villains than I ever had with any other Marvel villains, obviously, with Loki as the exception.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Smith, Robbie, Davis, Courtney were all great.
    Leto didn't have enough screen time to make an impact as The Joker, but you could tell from what was shown, that he was completely dedicated to the role, but he definitely left me wanting more.

It's a "superhero" film solely based on the villains. when have you seen that done before? It adds a complexity and depth to these villains, something Marvel wouldn't even dream of doing. Its not an easy thing to do. Huge respect to WB for going with this.

It was self aware, it knew how ridiculous it was, the stuff with Killer Croc, Katana, Captain Boomerang, it didn't shy away from it and poked fun at itself. These aren't easy characters to do. Captain Boomerang was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at the bit with Slipknot. I loved the Batman/Joker/Quinn scene. there was some great action sequences and towards the end I was genuinely rooting for these villains. IMO, it was underappreciated.

Id love to see Batman pair off against Deadshot. or if the The Flash in his own solo movie, had a small encounter with Captain Boomerang. or if the Joker/Harley Quinn came up against the JL. I care more about these villains than I ever had with any other Marvel villains, obviously, with Loki as the exception.

The action throughout was completely bland and uninteresting. The villains (Enchantress and her brother) were laughably bad and had as much menace as a mouldy sandwich. Bar Deadshot and HQ, the rest of the Suicide Squad were just there. No one used their powers in any interesting way, including Diablo who didn't even take out Enchantress' brother, but merely positioned him over a bomb. A bomb that didn't even need the skills of Killer Croc to swim under and detonate from below, it was some other guards who did that. KC just went with them for the swim. The team's big emotional moment comes from finding out Rick Flag was in love with Enchantress. ... so? Why do any of them care? Nothing changed for them by finding that out yet it's made out to be this big thing that splits the team then brings them back together. There's three separate helicopter crashes, one of which done for absolutely no reason as no one gets injured and they just climb out and start walking. The music is so ham-fisted throughout.

Horses for courses and all that, but bar some minor moments of okay-ness, I really found it to be terrible. And I say that as someone who didn't even really mind Leto's Joker even though that was one of the main complaints people had.

• Advertisement

'Crazy, Stupid, Love' Filmmakers to Write, Direct Joker and Harley Quinn Movie

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as DC's most popular villains.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-harley-quinn-movie-scores-crazy-stupid-love-filmmakers-write-direct-1032210

Well there's a film I'll never watch...

https://twitter.com/mattreevesla/status/900784577802678272

I guess that's cleared up any confusion around the DCEU then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

A lot of knee Jerk reaction to non stories around here. It's almost like some just want to jump on any piece of negative news to get up I'm arms over.

techdiver wrote: »
    A lot of knee Jerk reaction to non stories around here. It's almost like some just want to jump on any piece of negative news to get up I'm arms over.

In fairness if there's news articles popping up all over the place, people are gonna talk about them. No one posting on this forum is responsible for WB/DC running their franchise into the ground with poor planning, execution and marketing. But god damn is it more interesting to talk about the DCEU shît show than it is to watch the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

In fairness if there's news articles popping up all over the place, people are gonna talk about them. No one posting on this forum is responsible for WB/DC running their franchise into the ground with poor planning, execution and marketing. But god damn is it more interesting to talk about the DCEU shît show than it is to watch the movies.

Paper never refused ink. Also you do realise once one of these online "publications" publish a story the rest simply follow suit to ensure click bait headlines.

We're 4 movies into the DCEU. MOS whilst it is panned by many here is in my opinion a decent movie and had a decent reaction with audiences. BvS and Suicide Squad were a let down I'll admit. BvS had the core of a good movie in there bit pacing was a mess along with other issues. Lastly Wonder Woman was a critical and box office success.

So as I see it people want to ignore the good whilst harping on about the bad. That's fine and it's peoples own prerogative to do so, but some balance wouldn't go amiss for a change.

Just my 2c.

Paper never refused ink. Also you do realise once one of these online "publications" publish a story the rest simply follow suit to ensure click bait headlines.

We're 4 movies into the DCEU. MOS whilst it is panned by many here is in my opinion a decent movie and had a decent reaction with audiences. BvS and Suicide Squad were a let down I'll admit. BvS had the core of a good movie in there bit pacing was a mess along with other issues. Lastly Wonder Woman was a critical and box office success.

So as I see it people want to ignore the good whilst harping on about the bad. That's fine and it's peoples own prerogative to do so, but some balance wouldn't go amiss for a change.

Just my 2c.

I dunno man, it's pretty hard to focus on the good when 95% of what you hear is bad.

I really, really want to be surprised by JL the way I was by WW. You've no idea. I basically spent the 00's reading the amazing JLA run, along with some of the other tremendous DC output (to this day I think Robinson's Starman is probably my favourite comic book run). It's hard to see it when everything you hear makes it sound like suicide squad though.

That said, in the last few weeks, There's been a crap storm of unconfirmed stories floating around and denials too. Obviously we need to apply some cool heads when reading them.

Just my 2c.

One website copying the other for clicks is immaterial to my point. There's a bombardment of news and 95% of it is bad; whether that's the same stories cropping up over and over doesn't make a difference because we're being hit over the head with it so of course we'll talk about it.

I initially liked MOS fine cos it was a standalone so I took it as an elseworld but as part of a shared universe, it doesn't hold up. When reports about BvS were that Snyder was taking criticism of Superman's actions on board, I became optimistic and went to the midnight screening. Couldn't think of a way I could be more let down by a film tbh. Suicide Squad was terrible beyond words. Wonder Woman was definitely their first solid movie. I didn't love it and I probably won't bother watching it again but it did the job.

Ignoring the good is easy when, as DD said, 95% is bad. That 5% good is diminished by everything around it. Balance for balance's sake is something everyone should try to avoid imo. When we see films as bad as Suicide Squad, we should absolutely tell WB (both online and by not giving them more money) that they've done a terrible job.

James Cameron’s view on Wonder Woman.
    All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She’s an objectified icon, and it’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards. Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!

According to Cameron, he’s been showing everyone how to make a movie with strong female characters, but for some reason, directors like Patty Jenkins (a woman) just aren’t listening.
    I don’t – I don’t know. There are many women in power in Hollywood and they do get to guide and shape what films get made. I think – no, I can’t account for it. Because how many times do I have to demonstrate the same thing over again? I feel like I’m shouting in a wind tunnel!

Just my 2c.

Balance for the sake of balance isn't true balance. WB are throwing out so many ideas and chopping & changing their plans so often that no one has any idea what's happening. I genuinely don't know what the next film after Justice League is. I presume it's Aquaman because it's the only one I know they actually started filming.

Someone posted a list of all the rumoured films WB/DC were working on, and it was ridiculously long. Now, it's only gotten longer with news of a Joker/HQ movie and a completely separate Joker Origins movie. And so many of the films that have been properly announced rather than rumoured have lost directors and been pushed back.

The MCU films have had their own similar setbacks, with losing directors or writers (Edgar Wright, think the Captain Marvel movie has now changed director or writers too), or planned films being cancelled (Inhumans), but not nearly on the scale of WB/DC.

So far, between the films WB/DC have released and the announced/rumoured plans for the DCEU going forward, the bad outweighs the good. I thought MoS was okay, loved WW, liked bits of BvS (mostly general performances and casting) and really hated SS (on first watch I thought it was passable, but second watch genuinely infuriated me). WB/DC do absolutely deserve credit for many things. But they're also making so many mistakes based on what seems like rushes of blood to the head, with no-one to actually formulate one actual plan to move forward with. In the words of Scroobius Pip, "Throw enough sh*t at the wall and some of it will stick. But make no mistake, your wall's still covered in sh*t."

And the majority of people complaining about the WB/DC films are doing so for one main reason; we want the films to be great. We want to not have anything to complain about.

• Advertisement

James Cameron’s view on Wonder Woman.

According to Cameron, he’s been showing everyone how to make a movie with strong female characters, but for some reason, directors like Patty Jenkins (a woman) just aren’t listening.

While Jimbo certainly put strong women out there in a genre that was sorely lacking in them, I think I would be very bored if every strong woman in media was like Sarah Conner or Ripley :D

Advertisement