Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would think it will lead to problems for general audiences and trying to explain why there are 2 different Jokers and Batman but if they do it right and make it clear that it's different I don't have an issue.

In fact the idea of them giving more directors and actors a chance to put their spin on something is interesting. We could get something truly unique and great out of this kind of approach without having to worry about how this all fits in with every other movie.

Thing is, that only works if they actually, honestly give the directors & actors the latitude, time and money to be creative.

But that doesn't happen, it never happens when studios 'say' they want to give creative control: what actually occurs is that about 60% through the shoot, the execs see a rough draft, freak out that it's too edgy/indy/arthouse/unmarketable, panic fire the director or force a bunch of film-destroying reshoots. For a textbook case, see the Josh Trank Fantastic Four reboot. And of course by butchering the film and creating a tonne of bad press, it just turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Or, you get a circumstance like Bladerunner 2049, where the studio DOES give the director & pals the space to make the creative decisions, but the film cost too much so ends up flopping anyway.

Maybe, maybe if WB/DC stepped back and said "right, here's $50 million, go make a Joker movie & call us when it's done", there's a chance the film might not only be something unique, the low cost would mean a profit would sooner happen.

But again, that just won't happen. The IP is too valuable and too 'big' to be small. It has to be a blockbuster, and blockbusters gotta cost $150+ million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

1 year ago the same could be said for justice league

What? Justice League was all about dealing with the events of other films. We spend half the film getting to the part where they undo the death of superman from BvS.

JL is the complete opposite example of what I'm talking about.

Nolan's Batman trilogy is more what I meant. A self contained story away from everything else that only has to focus on its own world.

They are obviously not going to give up on the team up films though so if DC was to do these side projects where they give a talented director a chance to work with some of the best characters in comics then I'm all for it. Big IF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What? Justice League was all about dealing with the events of other films. We spend half the film getting to the part where they undo the death of superman from BvS.

JL is the complete opposite example of what I'm talking about.

I get your point and looking back now it makes perfect sense but throw your mind back to pre-JL, fans of the DCEU were still bigging it up as a unique vision of a comic book universe where directors had creative freedom. It was the breath of fresh air to the "bland/formulaic" MCU model. JL was the final nail in the coffin of that myth (IMO).

So, this NEW vision for DC movies just sounds like a lot of the same talk but ultimately I expect it to falter and we'll end up with an even bigger mess that doesn't even deliver on the promise of creative freedom.

Don't confuse the above with me "hoping/waiting" for DC to falter. I just no longer have any expectation that they can salvage anything from where they are now given the proposed plans for future movies. I really think they should have focused on rescuing the DCEU... I mean, where's the Flash movie at?! Where's MoS 2? If it wasn't for Cavill and Gadot, I'd be in favour of a hard reboot TBH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first official photo from 'shazam' has been revealed: http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/11/shazam-zachary-levi-costume-photo/

Really not much to go on beyond the costume, which looks conspicuously more colourful than other DC costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Don't worry, they'll leech the colour out of it during the post shoot edits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Just something I'm dreading about the film that I can't put my finger on....maybe it's because I don't think the character will translate well to the big screen.

pixelburp wrote: »
    [...]
    Maybe, maybe if WB/DC stepped back and said "right, here's $50 million, go make a Joker movie & call us when it's done", there's a chance the film might not only be something unique, the low cost would mean a profit would sooner happen.

But again, that just won't happen. The IP is too valuable and too 'big' to be small. It has to be a blockbuster, and blockbusters gotta cost $150+ million.

Uhm, guys? I think either WB/DC reads Boards, or else I'm an executive at the studio and I didn't even know it:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joaquin-phoenixs-joker-origin-movie-officially-a-go-1126127
    The Joker origin movie is officially a go at Warner Bros. Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.
    [...]
    The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

There's still plenty to go wrong, not least the distinct possibility of WB/DC freaking out that their requested 'experimental' film is too experimental, and mutate the film with reshoots.

Completely random thought: would love to see Phoenix play an utterly off the wall Joker against an uber straight no jokes Batman, someone like Karl Urban.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll leech the colour out of it during the post shoot edits.

Bet they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I understand doing one off movies which do not necessarily fit into a larger universe is tempting but things like origin stories really should be somewhat canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Isn't the whole point of the Joke that we don't know his origin, we don't need to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Isn't the whole point of the Joke that we don't know his origin, we don't need to know it.

Somewhat, The Killing Joke is a famous and generally highly rated story (I personally don’t think it holds up as well as some Moore’s other stories) that deals with an origin for the Joker. Bill Finger and Scott Snyder have also done storylines that work as an origin so it can be done. There is a preference for ambiguity though and I do think it works better for the character to have a multiple choice past. So it could work as a film but a straight up origin would probably take away from the character even if it could make a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Re: Shazam!

The first teaser trailer for this movie will be unveiled at SDCC on Saturday week.

https://batman-news.com/2018/07/11/shazam-trailer-next-week-san-diego-comic-con/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Bet they don't.
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but their track record makes me sceptical.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but their track record makes me sceptical.

I think what you are more likely to see is a complete shift in the opposite direction to be honest.

Probably for the worse too, as the over done colours at the end of Justice League were way too much. Made the whole thing look kinda cheap in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DiPQ5eKUYAEfsC6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There's a "Finding Aquaman" mashup somewhere out there on the Internet.

51U4g1JHgjL.jpg

'Joker' Origin Movie Lands Fall 2019 Release Date
    Joaquin Phoenix is starring as the iconic villain in the Warner Bros. and DC film, which has gotten its official title — 'Joker.'
    Director Todd Phillips' stand-alone Joker movie, starring Joaquin Phoenix, is set to hit theaters Oct. 4, 2019, Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow said late Wednesday afternoon.

The release date, and title, were revealed just as this year's edition of the ultimate fanboy gathering — Comic-Con — got underway in San Diego. Warners and DC will take the stage there on Saturday.

October 2019 boasts a slew of high-profile titles. Joker will open opposite Paramount's Gemini Man and Fox's The Woman in the Window, followed a week later by Disney's Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne Johnson and fellow Warners title The Goldfinch. And on Nov. 1, DC and Warners will unfurl Wonder Woman 1984.

Last month, Phoenix finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman. The studio describes Phillips' film as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Phillips and Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Joker's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the movie, set to begin production later this year, is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-origin-pic-lands-fall-2019-release-date-1128203

hmmmm.....wonder if the title hints that they might take some inspiration from Brian Azarello's graphic novel. sort of portrayal that i think would suit Phoenix well.

• Advertisement

The SDCC panel for WB/DC from Hall H starts this evening at 6:30pm Irish time.

All associated trailers for Aquaman, Shazam & WW 84 are expected to be released online later today along with live promotions from the panel.

https://batman-news.com/2018/07/21/aquaman-wonder-woman-1984-shazam-live-blog-comic-con/

SDCC are handing these posters out to the fans when the DC panel starts today. What a poster. It looks beautiful.

ptkz8ed.jpg

I suppose it's just the current trend but it looks very Marvel like to me. Would have like to have seen something a little more unique, but still a good poster.

Looks very Marvel to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

From seeing Grace compare it to Aquaman comics, it seems like it's very close to its source material.

There were some really nice BvS fan made posters that were absolutely beautiful. So when I see those I just think I'd rather see something unique like that rather than the standard movie poster like above, but still not a bad poster just kinda samey.

A few of the BvS fan posters that I liked :

84b9a5fd9528aaaf209cfa59d8d5a46e.jpg

batman_v_superman__dawn_of_justice_variant_poster_by_le0arts-d9spajq.jpg

Batmanvssuperman8191234.png?format=750w

batman_vs_superman_minimal_poster_by_kartheekmummaneni-d8qmobp.jpg

f41e59a200142b27d258be2cede728a1.jpg

Cb3TmV4WIAEB47s.jpg

I love The very alien inspired poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The WB presentation began 10 minutes late at SDCC.

Aisha Jones is the host for today.

Fantastic Beasts stuff will come up first. Eddie Redmayne is there to promote stuff for it.

The DC stuff will be kept to later.

• Advertisement

The cast of WW84 have just appeared on stage with Patty Jenkins.

https://twitter.com/shawnxmadden/status/1020738737834037248/photo/1

Advertisement