Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭kerplun k

A bit of secrecy would be hugely beneficial to WB.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kerplun k wrote: »
    A bit of secrecy would be hugely beneficial to WB.

I'm starting to think certain sites will print the loosest rumours about WB films now as it's a good story even if it turns out not to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Hollywood Reporter are reporting that Cavill and WB are parting ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A shame. I've said before but I think in a better film, he could have been stellar. His performance was never a problem, and when he didn't have to play it where he was so anguished and burdened by being Superman, he was terrific. We started to get a good glimpse of that kind of Superman towards the end of Justice League. A Man Of Steel 2 where he got the chance to do more of that and be a happier Superman/Clark (though obviously still emotionally effected by the plot where required) could have been fantastic.

With Cavill and Affleck both gone, I think the idea of a connected DCEU is officially dead. Just do all separate standalone films from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Warner Brothers... joke of a company...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He was a good Superman, but not a great Clark Kent, and whether it was direction or the actor Cavill didn't seem to vary his performance enough to make the 'disguise in plain sight' work. Christopher Reeve did it perfectly: little subtle changes in his posture, mannerisms and the way he spoke really sold the idea that people could be fooled by a pair of glasses. Though given how saddled the scripts were with all those Christ metaphors, it was probably the writing to blame ultimately.

pixelburp wrote: »
    He was a good Superman, but not a great Clark Kent, and whether it was direction or the actor Cavill didn't seem to vary his performance enough to make the 'disguise in plain sight' work. Christopher Reeve did it perfectly: little subtle changes in his posture, mannerisms and the way he spoke really sold the idea that people could be fooled by a pair of glasses. Though given how saddled the scripts were with all those Christ metaphors, it was probably the writing to blame ultimately.

I think it was definitely the script and direction he was given in that regard. The version of Clark Kent in BvS was literally just Superman in glasses. It was understandable in MoS because he was a bit of a nomad, but in BvS they didn't bother even trying to distinguish Superman from Clark in terms of character or behaviour. But again, I think given the chance to, Cavill probably could have done a decent enough job of it. Probably not on the same level as Christopher Reeve, but a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

At first I thought this was a joke repeated from long ago from a fake twitter account in where it had this story before. But when I knew it was real this time; I am now disappointed that Cavill is no longer going to be playing Superman. A Man of Steel 2 could have been a good move to let him have a great send off from DC. I'm just deflated now after reading that won't materialize because over this newly reported Supergirl movie that's going around in the press.

There is other casting news rumors coming in about the Batman trilogy with Matt Reeves. Game of Thrones actor Kit Harington is being asked by WB to play Affleck's replacement as Batman. There are some big stories going around that Affleck cannot continue doing Batman because he's been back in rehab suffering from alcohol addiction. One of the stories being reported is that the insurance costs for Affleck doing Batman will be too high for him to continue from WB's point of view. Affleck is also getting some recent praise for writing the screenplay from storyboard artist Jay Olivia. Olivia said that the script is said to be one of the best movie scripts he has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

This isn't confirmed at all. Cavill's manager has said it isn't true and there will be a statement from WB.

The conclusion seems to come from Cavill not being in Shazam (due to his shooting schedule) or Supergirl (due to story) and there being no other DCEU films in production including a MOS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Terrible shame. When I think of Superman these days I think Cavill.

After losing Affleck as well they might as well reboot the whole universe now.

I wonder how WB will handle the recasting of their two biggest stars. In terms of Cavills Superman, he sure did look the part, but there’s no denying that he struggled to differentiate the Superman, Clark Kent dynamic, which really highlighted his limitations as an actor, you only have to look as far as CWs version in Supergirl to see how it should be done. Tyler Hoechlin was excellent in the role and showed a clear distinction between the two. He presented Kent as a likable goofish dork, hell, even the writers had him use phrases like Lickety-split and jiffy, whereas, Superman was more your friendly but serious all American hero and it worked really well.

WB can do all the chopping and changing they like, but it still won’t fix the problem, it’s broken from within. The guys making these decisions and the ones creating and leaking all these rumors are the problem.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I wonder how WB will handle the recasting of their two biggest stars. In terms of Cavills Superman, he sure did look the part, but there’s no denying that he struggled to differentiate the Superman, Clark Kent dynamic, which really highlighted his limitations as an actor, you only have to look as far as CWs version in Supergirl to see how it should be done. Tyler Hoechlin was excellent in the role and showed a clear distinction between the two. He presented Kent as a likable goofish dork, hell, even the writers had him use phrases like Lickety-split and jiffy, whereas, Superman was more your friendly but serious all American hero and it worked really well.

WB can do all the chopping and changing they like, but it still won’t fix the problem, it’s broken from within. The guys making these decisions and the ones creating and leaking all these rumors are the problem.
    If it's true I think the next iteration of Superman we'll see is an elseworlds inspired one. They've already started down that path with this Joker film.

The CW version would be a good template to start from, but that's all. They didn't get it right with Cavill's portrayal but there are other ways to play it than the one established by Reeves.

I'm dubious towards the leak anyway which I assume is a ploy from Cavill's agency. They're really not helping him because WB will call their bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Against the grain but I enjoyed MOS and BvS (particularly extended)...

JL was a pile of sh*t and the fact that some think it was the best of the lot makes me think the problems of the first two weren’t all down to then being objectively bad.

Will never forgive them for JL. Fcuking cowards wouldn't go down on their swords.

If it's true I think the next iteration of Superman we'll see is an elseworlds inspired one. They've already started down that path with this Joker film.

The CW version would be a good template to start from, but that's all. They didn't get it right with Cavill's portrayal but there are other ways to play it than the one established by Reeves.

I'm dubious towards the leak anyway which I assume is a ploy from Cavill's agency. They're really not helping him because WB will call their bluff.

Kingdom Come with a black Superman :D

Drumpot wrote: »
    Against the grain but I enjoyed MOS and BvS (particularly extended)...

JL was a pile of sh*t and the fact that some think it was the best of the lot makes me think the problems of the first two weren’t all down to then being objectively bad.

Yeah I'd be genuinely confused by the thought that JL was the best. To each their own I suppose.

A snyder cut of JL might see the light of day a bit sooner though if they do go the full reboot way and considering all the behind the scenes changes I wouldn't be shocked to see it now.

Think WW84 could be the last in the DCEU with Matt Reeves Batman kicking off the new universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Think WW84 could be the last in the DCEU with Matt Reeves Batman kicking off the new universe.
    I wonder would they move WW into the new universe as is, recast her too, or just keep her in the existing universe separate to any new one, but never mentioning the other heroes again (or just a mention in passing that they still exist, but aren't part of her story). The current WW has been excellent imo, so I hope they keep her either as part of the new universe or as a stand-alone...

With all the changes that happened behind the scenes you could imagine a push for a complete reboot all round. Start fresh and build in the new direction.

I'm not sure where they will go from here but if we get near ww84 and no new films announced/in production it'll be the end of the current universe imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Routh who I think was great and now Cavill have been treated really badly by WB/DC.

Also Jon Fcuking Snow as Batman they can fcuk right off with that ones.

Michael B Jordan doing the rounds as being a candidate under consideration to replace Cavill as Superman..... Y'all need me I'll be on twitter watching the headcases lose their mind. :D

Tbh while I think it's FAKE NEWS, I'm so despondent with how the character has been treated over the last 12 years or so, that MBJ as Superman doesn't sound terrible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Cavill put up a strange Instagram post..
    Maybe this isn't all over..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Michael B Jordan doing the rounds as being a candidate under consideration to replace Cavill as Superman..... Y'all need me I'll be on twitter watching the headcases lose their mind. :D

Tbh while I think it's FAKE NEWS, I'm so despondent with how the character has been treated over the last 12 years or so, that MBJ as Superman doesn't sound terrible to me.

It's 'fake news', only insofar as it was reported studio execs spitballed the name. Which execs always do, for every hollywood movie ever. Who's hot right now, and could we get them for XYZ film? But like you said, the headcases pick this up and lose their minds. Maybe the next Superman should be Kenan Kong and watch Twitter truly implode :D
    Cavill put up a strange Instagram post..
    Maybe this isn't all over..

Man, it was super strange, but his agent / WB also put out statements, albeit fairly bland & noncommittal ones about Superman's future on film.

I dunno, if it's still up in the air, then in all likelihood with these sorts of things, it'll come down to money.

Cavill undoubtedly would deserve a bump in pay but I just hope his reps aren't pricing him out of a role that would be great for him to retain, regardless of his new role in the Witcher.

I'll always back Cavill but the sad reality is that WB are on higher ground on this one when you look at the cold numbers.

Yeah I'd be genuinely confused by the thought that JL was the best. To each their own I suppose.

I don't think JL was the best of them, as it was very bland for the most part. But I think less annoyed me about it than BvS. BvS aimed high but failed to reach it. JL aimed low and reached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think Jordan would be a great actor to play Superman. Fantastic actor. There are only a couple of problems:

1: the obvious racist twitter warriors. We all know they'll come out. I think he can candle them.
    2: The more important one. As many have said, WB seem to be really treating Superman and Batman and their actors with contempt. They really are not putting as much love into their IP as Marvel have. I don't mean this to be a Marvel V DC post (And this thread is mature enough to do that) but you must admit that WB don't seem to be as invested in their DC universe as Disney are with Marvel.

I actually thought Afleck was decent enough as Batman.My expectations were low but I thought he was actually pretty OK. And now he's gone. Cavill and Routh were pretty good, if a bit bland. And now they're gone. What happens if Aquaman doesn't make a gajillion dollars in the first week? "Go darker for next movie. Introduce 5 superheroes without any background, less "kiddie" and if that doesn't work,.... I dunno. Fire that actor, even tough he was born to play the part, and hire the next flavour of the month. How about we go radical and go with a boyband member. Is that Justin Beiber guy still around?"

Stereotypical "dark" tone and trendy directors to not a good movie make. Say what you want about Marvel, they have the balls to try something different. For every Captain America or Avengers there was a Thor Ragnorock or Guardians of The Galaxy.

Still, at least there is Teen Titans Go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

If I had to predict the situation in summary based on different reports.

WB told Cavill they have no intention of giving him a solo movie for the foresseable future, just a cameo in Shazam and possibly elsewhere. The probably figure no one is interested in MOS 2 or whatever a superman sequel would be.
    WB dropped him as they have no future plans for him and there's no contract or deal between them to bring him back.
    Cavill and his agent are negotiating in the press to try show his worth and making WB realise the interest in a Cavill led Superman solo.
    Cavill posts a weird post showing that he is still interested in the role and character thus showing everyone that the ball is in WB's court.

This is just pieced together off certain journalists in the industry and a little speculation, seems quite plausible though.

It should also be noted that I heard WB mention MBJ's name for everything, including the Matrix 'reboot' that was rumoured for a bit. I wouldn't look too far into it.

I think ultimately WB/DC misjudged the appetite for a different flavour, in their reactive strategy against the surprise success of the MCU. The rumours around the time of MoS / BvS was that the executives wanted to steer clear of jokes, and the overall adventuresome tone of the Marvel films - but picked the absolute worst candidate for applying the superficial 'gods among men' contrivance of Synder's preferred theme. Superman as a tortured-Jesus figure is a potentially interesting idea, but Zack Synder just didn't have the emotional maturity or nuance to pull it off. The Sunk Cost Fallacy then somewhat forced WB's hand into continuing with this choice, despite the diminishing support.

• Advertisement

: The more important one. As many have said, WB seem to be really treating Superman and Batman and their actors with contempt. They really are not putting as much love into their IP as Marvel have. I don't mean this to be a Marvel V DC post (And this thread is mature enough to do that) but you must admit that WB don't seem to be as invested in their DC universe as Disney are with Marvel.
    :)

Marvel deserve praise for the cohesive thread they have put together and that has assisted in keeping Disney at arm's length, but Gunn's sacking showed us who is boss and proven Disney won't be afraid to meddle.

DC were always at the mercy of WB. If they had the freedom Marvel had early doors then things could have been different. But hey, DC signed up to that so can only blame themselves.

Advertisement