Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭kerplun k

2: The more important one. As many have said, WB seem to be really treating Superman and Batman and their actors with contempt. They really are not putting as much love into their IP as Marvel have. I don't mean this to be a Marvel V DC post (And this thread is mature enough to do that) but you must admit that WB don't seem to be as invested in their DC universe as Disney are with Marvel.

I actually thought Afleck was decent enough as Batman.My expectations were low but I thought he was actually pretty OK.

To be fair, the whole Bafleck thing was out of their hands. He seems to have gone off the rails, but as a casting decision, at the time, I thought it was a good move. It was made off the back of some excellent films he starred, wrote and directed. The Town really convinced me that he could be trusted to script, star and direct a solo Batman film. But it turned out to be really bad timing for WB because he seemed to go on a downward spiral at the exact point he signed up to the role. I think it was around mid-2014 when stories came out about a gambling addiction, since then we've heard story after story of substance abuse, marriage breakdowns, alcoholism, rehab etc. and since then, physically, his appearance has looked more and more dishevelled. His personal troubles really showed in his work on Live by Night. I don’t blame WB for turning to him saying "Listen we don’t trust you to drive this Batman franchise forward anymore". I wouldn’t fully blame Ben Affleck for the mess they are in right now, but I think he's hugely contributed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Affleck was an amazing Batman. I'll definitely miss him and lament what he could have done with the proposed Batman film he was to direct.

Cavill I think could have been great with better material, but at the same time if we don't get a MoS2... not overly fussed.

The Michael B Jordan rumours are definitely interesting. Would all involved have the guts to go through with it? That said, he's an amazing actor, but race aside I can't picture him as Superman.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Against the grain but I enjoyed MOS and BvS (particularly extended)...

JL was a pile of sh*t and the fact that some think it was the best of the lot makes me think the problems of the first two weren’t all down to then being objectively bad.

I liked MoS on its own. There are flaws of course, but I enjoyed it overall and have rewatched it. I love Zimmer's score. It is a move packed full of heart and that can go a long way with me once other elements don't completely fall on their arse. The only thing in MoS which made me go 'Ah come on!' was Pa Kent's death scene. Bad as that was, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

BvS was erm...I came out of the cinema feeling underwhelmed on opening night, but thought that the reviews it subsequently picked up were quite harsh.

I somewhat like it up to the end of the BvS fight and 'Martha!', and then in the final 20 minutes of that movie I honestly believe WB/DC fúcked their whole cinematic universe there and then. A movie which already features BvS, and you want to also squeeze in a world threat/big bad and take this to 'nukes in space' levels? Just no, wtf are you going to do in future movies to raise the stakes? Plus, both Doomsday and the The Death of Superman totally wasted in that needless final battle. When I think back to the visuals of that final battle, I just remember a mess of brown on the screen. Quite appropriate I think.

Justice League...It has absolutely nothing for me to get excited about*. An abomination through and through. Where BvS ends by hinting that Superman may one day rise, I never in a million years imagined his resurrection would feature members of the JL physically digging his corpse up in the middle of the night and cracking jokes about it.

*Oh, that one shot of Bruce Wayne on a cliff looking down at Aquaman's village. The minute I saw that in the JL trailer, I said "I'm going there!", and will be there in the next two weeks. So, I got a location in Iceland out of JL. Hopefully it goes someway to making up for the horror of "Well I believe in truth, but I'm also a big fan of Justice".

So much potential with these characters and this universe gone to complete waste. They had decent actors for all the parts, they had the money to pump into it, but WB just didn't give themselves the time required as they desperately focused on and chased those Marvel dollars.

I'm not a bit surprised that main actors are reportedly losing interest in working on this wholly unorganised shítpile. Well and good if they needed the work or exposure, but I imagine the DC characters are just a weight tied to Cavill and Affleck's legs at this stage.

Considering MoS was retroactively fitted for an extended universe after its release, I think this DCEU overall has been a shít-show from the get-go. For those calling for a reboot, do you honestly trust WB to do any better with that?

If there's one thing WB have gotten right most of the time, it's casting. Affleck was an inspired choice and nailed it imo. Cavill could have been fantastic with better material. Gadot has done really well with the role even though there are probably better choices out there. Mamoa I actually quite liked, and I think he could do a great job in Aquaman. For me one of the best bits of JL was Ray Fisher as Cyborg. I thought he was actually really great and played the role terrifically, and I'd enjoy seeing him in the role again. Ezra Miller I'd still be somewhat on the fence about.

If WB can pull it off some great casting again and give us a new Superman and Batman, it might still be salvageable. As I said before, I think the connected DCEU films are basically dead at this point and they should stick with separate films and stories going forward, but if they wanted to reboot Superman and Batman, they could still do something fairly great.

I think if they wanted to do connected films, cast a new Batman and focus on Batman-related connected movies. Batman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, maybe bring Gotham City Sirens under that umbrella by taking Harley Quinn/Margot Robbie out of it (to avoid connecting with Suicide Squad and Leto's Joker). You could do great things just with those characters and enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think JL was the best of them, as it was very bland for the most part. But I think less annoyed me about it than BvS. BvS aimed high but failed to reach it. JL aimed low and reached it.

Yeah I can't get on board with that idea at all. I think JL was copped to pieces and put back together with sticky tape by Joss who it seems added most of the worst parts to the film and just needlessly changed other things (the red sky at the end).

It being unoffensive isn't good enough to place it above BvS or MoS.

The original movie might have been interesting but until we see it we'll never know.

• Advertisement

Affleck was an amazing Batman. I'll definitely miss him and lament what he could have done with the proposed Batman film he was to direct.

Just to rub salt into the wounds on that one

Jay is excellent to follow on twitter by the way. He story boarded a lot of stuff for DC and worked on JL with Snyder. He basically spends his time calling out bull**** reports on twitter. It's excellent.

Yeah I can't get on board with that idea at all. I think JL was copped to pieces and put back together with sticky tape by Joss who it seems added most of the worst parts to the film and just needlessly changed other things (the red sky at the end).

The original movie might have been interesting but until we see it we'll never know.

JL was definitely hugely flawed in many regards and it's definitely the product of two directors (and even as a huge fan of Whedon, his humour didn't gel well with the tone that had already been set with the characters). But BvS for me was just so inherently flawed to its core. But yeah, it would have been interesting to see Snyder's full vision for JL, even just to cap off the trilogy he started with MoS.

Yeah. Some really bad decisions were made on that project.
    But again, WB was very unlucky. What happened to Zack and Deborah Snyder was tragic, Ben Affleck was in free fall, and Cavill came back with a Moustache which he legally had to keep, I mean you couldn’t make it up. The whole making of that film would make an excellent documentary some day. But despite everything that went against it, it somehow managed to be half watchable. It was deeply flawed and outright ridiculous at some parts, but it still managed to be somewhat entertaining.

JL was definitely hugely flawed in many regards and it's definitely the product of two directors (and even as a huge fan of Whedon, his humour didn't gel well with the tone that had already been set with the characters). But BvS for me was just so inherently flawed to its core. But yeah, it would have been interesting to see Snyder's full vision for JL, even just to cap off the trilogy he started with MoS.

Was reading about this small village in Iceland (the 'I heard you talk to fish' village)...It blew me away to learn that Willem Dafoe was up there on location for weeks and filmed scenes with Mamoa for JL. Amber Heard too. Not a f**king sign of them in the finished product :eek: Mamoa confirmed himself in an interview that he and Dafoe filmed scenes to help establish Arthur Curry's backstory for his JL introduction, and to tie Atlantis into proceedings.
    Khal Drogo wrote:

There's a place where [Aquaman] goes down to, and it got cut out of the movie. He knows spots where he can go and he can see these statues, the remnants of [Atlantis]. There's Vulko--obviously we'll have way more scenes with Vulko, Willem Dafoe--in Aquaman. There just wasn't enough time in this movie."

Vulko’s his connection to Atlantis. I think what Zack [Snyder] and I did, we were kind of trying to establish that he was taken down there as a boy, and he was an outcast, he was a half-breed, and he was built up as a young boy, because he was fed all these ideas by Vulko — that he was the rightful king. And he gets down there, and he’s a half breed, he’s impure, and I’m just made to feel like I’m this disease. So after that, I was like, ‘**** you, **** you, I’m on my own.

It would have been nice to see some of that depth to Arthur Curry in JL beyond him being a one-lining, thrill-seeking bro. When you see the thought that an actor and director can put into a character, compared to what the studio butchered it into for the released version, you almost get into a place of feeling sorry for these highly-paid, globe-trotting storytellers.

That cut alone makes me wonder just what exactly the originally intended movie would have looked like. When you add this to reports about the original plan for Superman's resurrection going bad at first, the photos of his 'black suit', I wonder what could have been if they remained faithful to Snyder's original vision...for good or for bad. However, BvS was released, critically panned and bombing just as they were starting to shoot JL. Any chance Snyder had of an original vision with JL was gone with that opening weekend for BvS and in the weeks which followed.

I know every movie undergoes various changes in the editing room, many good ones are actually 'made' in there. The originally planned vision is very often not the eventually released product. However, I get an overriding sense of 'Frankenstein's Monster' from Justice League like no other blockbuster I've watched in recent years. You can really tell that it was flung together in the editing room under strict instruction and time restriction from studio execs. That wouldn't be a surprise, isn't this the same studio which got a trailer company to edit the released version of Suicide Squad?

In retrospect, I lost interest anyway after BvS. Yes, I thought it was alright for 2/3s, but still an unmitigated mess in storytelling. I even watched the extended edition, thought it was better, but the whole thing still left me feeling cold and frustrated. Where MoS had heart, this had a black hole. Then the abomination which was Suicide Squad came out, and you just knew that despite your best hopes this version of the DCEU was dogshíte and doomed.

By the time JL came out, I didn't even go to see it in the cinema. For BvS, I was there at midnight in the Odeon on opening night. JL - I finally watched 6 months after release. I wanted to like it, I wanted to see that 'at least it's better than BvS', but it's the worst for me by some distance out of MoS/BvS/JL.

So I guess it doesn't really matter to me what WB will do next or how they fix any Affleck/Cavill departures. I'm out of their target market now. Still though, as a fan of Batman and someone who likes a good Superman movie or JL story, it's disappointing to resign myself to that.

For me and my own tastes, it seems 'peak Batman' on screen this century was the Nolan movies and the Arkham games. WB/DC could pull it back in the near to medium term future, but right now I wouldn't trust them to adequately reboot Banana Man as a 15 minute Youtube series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DC across TV, Film and now Streaming seem to be throwing as much (****) as the can against the wall hoping some of it will stick.

That is basically what I see when I look at the DCEU.

• Advertisement

Here's your new Joker first look.

n07cMXn.jpg

More on set pics in link
    joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-02.jpg

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/4147497/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-20/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Characters name is Arthur Fleck
    As in A. Fleck.
    Affleck. Hmm, Batman's greatest enemy :rolleyes:

What's more interesting is that a report from a couple months ago said this name which seeming confirms some other details which are a little worrying IMO.

Including that
    Batman and Joker are half brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He looks like a sober Jim Carrey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Loving Phoenix's mannerisms in the set video, playing it like I hoped he would.

gloobag wrote: »
    That Joker origin movie will never get made. If it does, it means that WB has been doing absolutely zero market research. I'd imagine it was one of a bunch of pitches that were put forward for possible projects, similar to the recent Superman - Red Son story. Doesn't necessarily mean it will even come close to being made. The Joker/Harley movie seems like a much more likely project, and something with more potential to make some bank, which it is all about at the end of the day.

Matt Reeve's Batman is more worrying. I really hope he was misquoted and just meant that his movie won't be connected to ongoing events in the Justice League storyline, which seems more plausible to me than WB thinking it's okay to give us yet another iteration of Batman outside of what has been established.

Mad to think that this Joker film is actually happening.
    It was inconceivable to think it would move forward when it was first announced and now we actually have set pictures.

Does this mean that Suicide Squad 2 might actually happen? :eek:

kerplun k wrote: »
    Mad to think that this Joker film is actually happening.
    It was inconceivable to think it would move forward when it was first announced and now we actually have set pictures.

Does this mean that Suicide Squad 2 might actually happen? :eek:

Think I actually saw a tweet over the weekend saying the first draft of the Suicide Squad 2 script has been submitted, so it's still in the process of happening anyway.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1043184618160021505?s=19

Eep. Camera test so I assume this isn't set in stone.... but I like it. Bit of Caesar Romero going on surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

He looks a bit scary serious. Kinda reminded me of the scaryness Jack Nicholson was able to put across around the time of the shining

Slydice wrote: »
    He looks a bit scary serious. Kinda reminded me of the scaryness Jack Nicholson was able to put across around the time of the shining

Yeah bit of a Jack in there too. Just looking at the flashes of him dancing it looks like Phoenix is going to have a hoot doing this which will go a long way.

• Advertisement

That looks very interesting. He's unsettling in the way you'd want a joker to be. Not just annoying in the way Leto played him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Looks completely downtrodden pre Jokerification and hugely creepy in the costume. Already better than Suicide Squad :D

That 30 second clip is the best thing the DCEU has done.

I think they will do a nice social media Guerrilla marketing campaign with this as the shoot goes on and they get ready for the release.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead cast as Huntress in the Birds of Prey film.

Disappointed Mbatha-Raw didn't get Black Canary can only imagine the actress who got it tested very well with the other two.

Janelle Monae apparently refused to test which did give me a chuckle.....slightly uncomfortable that these castings came down to Robbie seemingly.

Are they going literal with the colour name casting I'd assume then if they ever use White Canary she will be played by a white actress so not to offend anyone.

If Black Panther isn't too on the nose then I'm sure they'll get away with this! It's not a big deal to me at this stage. I just want good stories being told while keeping the heart of characters in tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Shazam movie is a joke means dc their movies are rubbish nowadays. From the trailer of Shazam he dumbest superhero alive which is completely opposite for what he is in comics. Who wants superhero who recording their superpowers without saving somebody. Who wants superhero that harms none villain citizens or might kill someone with a lightning bolt. This guy has the power of 6 gods Shazam wizard never thought him how to use power responsibly and properly. In the comics, Shazam never thought Billy how to use his power responsibly and properly. Thanks, lot dc you just ruin 80 years of artwork for pleasure. This isn't Billy Batson from comics. This is great way to celebrate his 80th birthday. Do realize next year 2019 December is Captain marvel 80th birthday. Dc do you have trash him on his 80th Birthday. It must be weird I have feels for something is it real Just prove I have a heart and you don't dc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Smertrius wrote: »
    Shazam movie is a joke means dc their movies are rubbish nowadays. From the trailer of Shazam he dumbest superhero alive which is completely opposite for what he is in comics. Who wants superhero who recording their superpowers without saving somebody. Who wants superhero that harms none villain citizens or might kill someone with a lightning bolt. This guy has the power of 6 gods Shazam wizard never thought him how to use power responsibly and properly. In the comics, Shazam never thought Billy how to use his power responsibly and properly. Thanks, lot dc you just ruin 80 years of artwork for pleasure. This isn't Billy Batson from comics. This is great way to celebrate his 80th birthday. Do realize next year 2019 December is Captain marvel 80th birthday. Dc do you have trash him on his 80th Birthday. It must be weird I have feels for something is it real Just prove I have a heart and you don't dc.
    I think this is just another example of you thinking that the relatively few comics on a particular character that you've read (Spider-Man previously, Shazam now) equate to the only way the character has ever been, and should be, depicted.

There have been as many depictions of Shazam as there have been writers who have told his story. There have been reboots of the character in the main continuity, and there have been alternative versions of the character. This is the movie version, not a specific comic version.

The version they are telling the story of in the movie may be very similar to one of the comic versions (we won't know until we actually see the film, not just some 90 second trailers). Even if it's not, so what? The version you like so much is not the only version that exists, not even in the comics...

• Advertisement

Smertrius wrote: »
    Christ.

Advertisement