Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Johnmb wrote: »
    I think this is just another example of you thinking that the relatively few comics on a particular character that you've read (Spider-Man previously, Shazam now) equate to the only way the character has ever been, and should be, depicted.

There have been as many depictions of Shazam as there have been writers who have told his story. There have been reboots of the character in the main continuity, and there have been alternative versions of the character. This is the movie version, not a specific comic version.

The version they are telling the story of in the movie may be very similar to one of the comic versions (we won't know until we actually see the film, not just some 90 second trailers). Even if it's not, so what? The version you like so much is not the only version that exists, not even in the comics...
    The only way i would see this movie next year would dress up as Black Adam and not Shazam because i hate it that much. I have reading shazam comics since the 80s and watch the shazam cartoons and his tv series since the 80s. I have home made Black Adam and not Shazam costumes because i treasure this villain and hero so much because i have a heart and you don't dc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Smertrius wrote: »
    The only way i would see this movie next year would dress up as Black Adam and not Shazam because i hate it that much. I have reading shazam comics since the 80s and watch the shazam cartoons and his tv series since the 80s. I have home made Black Adam and not Shazam costumes because i treasure this villain and hero so much because i have a heart and you don't dc.
    I think you are taking comics a bit too seriously...

The 80s Shazam you are so attached to is quite a bit different from the original version. That doesn't make it better of worse. In the same way that the new movie version won't be better or worse than any other version just because he is different (again, assuming he is different. We don't know yet as it hasn't been released).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Shazam movie is a joke means dc their movies are rubbish nowadays. From the trailer of Shazam he dumbest superhero alive which is completely opposite for what he is in comics. Who wants superhero who recording their superpowers without saving somebody. Who wants superhero that harms none villain citizens or might kill someone with a lightning bolt. This guy has the power of 6 gods Shazam wizard never thought him how to use power responsibly and properly. In the comics, Shazam never thought Billy how to use his power responsibly and properly. Thanks, lot dc you just ruin 80 years of artwork for pleasure. This isn't Billy Batson from comics. This is great way to celebrate his 80th birthday. Do realize next year 2019 December is Captain marvel 80th birthday. Dc do you have trash him on his 80th Birthday. It must be weird I have feels for something is it real Just prove I have a heart and you don't dc.

I haven't read the comics but I've heard from people who have that the subway origin depicted in the trailer is very similar to the New 52 origin story and also seems to be borrowing from that story tonally.

you don't shock people with lightning bolts, either should are heroes. Shazam is hero he shouldnot be shocking people with lightning bolts. I have see the Shazam trailer shazam is shooting people with his lightning bolts. Heroes defend and protect the people they do not try to kill them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

you don't shock people with lightning bolts, either should are heroes. Shazam is hero he shouldnot be shocking people with lightning bolts. I have see the Shazam trailer shazam is shooting people with his lightning bolts. Heroes defend and protect the people they do not try to kill them.

You better not watch Black Lightning then.

• Advertisement

The only way i would see this Shazam movie next year would dress up as Black Adam costume and not Shazam because i hate it that movie trailer much. I have reading shazam comics since the 80s and watch the shazam cartoons and his tv series since the 80s. I have homemade Black Adam and my Shazam homemade costume because i treasure this villain and hero so much because i hate this movie trailer so much i go as black adam to it . In the comics, Shazam thought Billy how to use his power responsibly and properly. Shazam hasn't thought Billy how to use his power responsibly and properly in the movie trailer. Thanks, lot dc you just ruin 80 years of artwork for pleasure. This isn't Billy Batson from comics. This is great way to celebrate his 80th birthday. Do realize next year 2019 December is Captain marvel 80th birthday. Dc do you have trash him on his 80th Birthday. It must be weird I have feels for something is it real Just prove I have a heart and you don't dc. you don't shock people with lightning bolts, either should are heroes. Shazam is hero he shouldnot be shocking people with lightning bolts. I have see the Shazam trailer shazam is shooting people with his lightning bolts. Heroes defend and protect the people they do not try to kill them. Compare other shazam movies this shazam movie is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I thought you said you read the comics? He uses lightning bolts in them. Even before he could generate them himself, he was able to use lightening against his opponents, and did...

Johnmb wrote: »
    I thought you said you read the comics? He uses lightning bolts in them. Even before he could generate them himself, he was able to use lightening against his opponents, and did...

no ,these people are not his opponents , these people are non villain citizens , these are good citiziens. watch the trailer you see shazam shooting lightning bolts at good citiziens.

Compare other shazam movies this shazam movie is rubbish.

i read the shazam comics since my childhood and watch shazam cartoons and tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Is this a wind-up, you sound a bit overly worked up by this.

First of all, the only time he uses his lighting against 'citizens' in the trailers is when he is charging people's phones. It speaks to the childlike sensiblities of a kid getting superpowers which is what Shazam should be. There's no ill will there or even any harm coming to the citizens (at worst a broken phone).

He thinks he's helping, he's a kid. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously, he's not trying to kill anyone.
    If this gets you that bent out of shape I can't imagine what some of the other DCEU creative decisions have done to you.

ThePott wrote: »
    Is this a wind-up, you sound a bit overly worked up by this.

First of all, the only time he uses his lighting against 'citizens' in the trailers is when he is charging people's phones. It speaks to the childlike sensiblities of a kid getting superpowers which is what Shazam should be. There's no ill will there or even any harm coming to the citizens (at worst a broken phone).

He thinks he's helping, he's a kid. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously, he's not trying to kill anyone.
    If this gets you that bent out of shape I can't imagine what some of the other DCEU creative decisions have done to you.

i know billy is a kid but he very smart kid according to the comics ,but this billy from the trailer is very dum , he opposite of billy from the comics.

dc have made shazam movies the past and compare to them shazam movies , this shazam movie 2019 is worst shazam movie ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How about waiting until the movie is released before going "worst shazam movie ever" Smertrius? All opinions are welcome of course, but hyperbole is hard to take seriously when judging a movie before it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

If you are serious then I would say at this stage don't bother going to watch it. Its obviously not what you want to see.

directors are too lazy nowadays to make good movie , all they want is your money

To be fair, I'd say it's an incredible pain in the arse dealing with the majority of studio executives, at least that's how it comes across when you read stories about them. I'd imagine most directors are in it because they actually have a passion for making films.

But when a studio executive is constantly in your ear and interfering it makes a hard job multiple times harder.

I think I've linked this before but the story Kevin Smith tells about it shows just how bad they can be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be fair, I'd say it's an incredible pain in the arse dealing with the majority of studio executives, at least that's how it comes across when you read stories about them. I'd imagine most directors are in it because they actually have a passion for making films.

But when a studio executive is constantly in your ear and interfering it makes a hard job multiple times harder.

I think I've linked this before but the story Kevin Smith tells about it shows just how bad they can be.

It's funny, Warner never learned the lessons from those days that Marvel have given a clear example of the truth.

Executives do not know why these characters are popular and loved. Ignoring the stories that put them into the consciousness doesn't make sense. Changing them to suit your own whims makes no sense. Changing them to optimise the characters and stories that people have already shown they loved, will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

An extended trailer has been released for Aquaman. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A new 5 minute extended trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I like it! Let's see how the film does.

Feels like the same universe as Shazam!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, that trailer's piqued my interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

New poster is out. It looks fab.

DorRu4NUwAA8ame.jpg:orig

• Advertisement

Naw still think it looks like hot garbage to be needlessly frank. Shazam looks like a lot of fun, and I'm genuinely curious about the Joker movie now that I've seen some promos, but Aquaman looks like a CGI budget out of control.

I doubt WB were willing to go all in on this budget given what has happened to date so more than likely you're seeing Wan making the most of what he was given. There was a rumour that Wan had asked Snyder not to show Atlantis in JL so he was clearly planning an epic in terms of visuals from early on.

I haven't heard anything about WB pumping additional funds into this so to say a budget out of control is highly cynical. A film like Aquaman was always going to be afforded a generous budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

I agree somewhat. I'm not as in love with the trailer as others seem to be. I do think some of the effects look off, just too busy I think.
    Momoa and Heard don't look like they have much chemistry and personally I feel the colour on the suit really clashes with the badass biker look they're going for.

Haven't been a fan of most of the DC flicks, hope this one turns out okay though, I'm pulling for them. Just not in love with anything I've seen so far.

I doubt WB were willing to go all in on this budget given what has happened to date so more than likely you're seeing Wan making the most of what he was given. There was a rumour that Wan had asked Snyder not to show Atlantis in JL so he was clearly planning an epic in terms of visuals from early on.

I haven't heard anything about WB pumping additional funds into this so to say a budget out of control is highly cynical. A film like Aquaman was always going to be afforded a generous budget.

I didn't mean money, I meant direction. The CGI is over the top and as floaty and messy as Justice League was. I don't like it and just looks like Generic Last Act CGI mess you get in every other blockbuster. All that's missing is a beam of light shooting into the sky. It often comes down to the director and their respective ability / interest in the medium - Black Panther was similar : Ryan Coogler had a good handle of the non action stuff but the CGI fights were a mess.

no batman movie been announced for 2019

you better dc bring new batman movie make greAT tribute to his 80th birthday in dc comics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭kerplun k

In regards to the CGI, I think it would be impossible to avoid. I mean, they’ll spend a good portion of the time in Atlantis so it was always going to be CGI heavy. From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look half bad and could look decent on the big screen. I’m not writing this one off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,411 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Gunn to write and direct Suicide Squad 2

Given how much Suicide Squad aped the pop styling of GotG, it feels particularly hilarious. I wish Gunn the best, and hope he can make the film he wants. Wonder if it'll be a reset - one can hope.

It's excellent news. Although GOTG2 wasn't brilliant it'll be interesting to see what he can do with a more interesting set of characters.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm..... Not sure about this one. Hope Gunn realises he could have taken an easier gig while also realising what will be expected of him.

Happy to see him get a big job so soon anyway as he seemed to be royally stitched up by a Disney / Marvel panic job.

Advertisement