Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Slydice wrote: »
    I get the feeling there might be an Aquaman sequel at some point down the road :)

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1095773858207092736

If we've no idea what's coming, I'd hope it's more than an Aquaman sequel because we totally know that's coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,702 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Smith exits Suicide Squad 2.

Aquaman 2 gets a release date of December 6th 2022.

So basically they are waiting 4 years with the follow up to there biggest box office hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So basically they are waiting 4 years with the follow up to there biggest box office hit.

Seems like a long wait alright. I would have thought 2020 or Summer 2021 at the latest would have been their target.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still no Flash movie though. lol.

Hey, at least TV DC is ploughing along nicely, and with some degree of a plan & sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

They've got a few things in between

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Must be slating something else between now and then so.

Must be slating something else between now and then so.

Well they have WW 2, the Joker film, Birds of Prey all due out.

Waiting 4 years for a follow up to there first film to break the billion dollar box office mark seems foolish to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Joker spin-off goes down well, you could see the cinematic plans being changed again. From what is known of it it seems a totally different beast to everything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Waiting 4 years for a follow up to there first film to break the billion dollar box office mark seems foolish to me.

What it most likely is is that they never expected Aquaman to be a hit on this scale. So never had a potential for a sequel mapped out. It became a success they all got into a boardroom in the last few weeks and made plans to follow up.

But now because they had nothing in place they are stuck working around everyone else's schedule for the next few years.

Also with all the underwater effects I'd say Aquaman needs a little bit more production time than say a Batman film would need.

4 years is bad though. Definitely not striking while the iron is hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

They rushed to catch up before and got burned for it though. Taking a chill pill sounds like a smart move for DC.

Slydice wrote: »
    They rushed to catch up before and got burned for it though. Taking a chill pill sounds like a smart move for DC.

Yeah there is a bit of a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't about it. Had they announced it for December 2020 there would have been complaints of them rushing it. Especially considering all the effects a film like this needs.

I just think the gap is most likely down to them having no plans to follow up until the success of the first Aquaman. Hopefully the time is put to good use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just did a quick breakdown of this trailer with some things I noticed and possible teases for future films if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/Zl3_P2dFBTc

I dug this trailer

ThePott wrote: »
    Just did a quick breakdown of this trailer with some things I noticed and possible teases for future films if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/Zl3_P2dFBTc

I dug this trailer

Some nice spots there man especially the 7 sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Some nice spots there man especially the 7 sins.

Thanks pal, pretty new to this stuff so still learning and put it together pretty quickly so might be a bit rough haha

idris Elba has been cast as Deadshot, to replace Will Smith, continuing Elba's obvious attempts to star in every franchise going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That's crazy and will be distracting, swapping out one big name of another, will it be the same character? or will they at least attempted to explain why Deadshot looks different. I'd love to know why Will Smith wasn't brought back, he was one of the best things about the first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

kerplun k wrote: »
    That's crazy and will be distracting, swapping out one big name of another, will it be the same character? or will they at least attempted to explain why Deadshot looks different. I'd love to know why Will Smith wasn't brought back, he was one of the best things about the first film.

Apparently it was down to scheduling. I doubt they'll acknowledge the recast, same way Marvel didn't acknowledge the Ruffalo/Norton swap.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Apparently it was down to scheduling. I doubt they'll acknowledge the recast, same way Marvel didn't acknowledge the Ruffalo/Norton swap.

Yeah, but the MCU wasn't as high profile back then, and Ruffalo came in as part of the Avengers. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but having Elba come in as the same character is a little bit insulting, especially if Robbie and others come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeah, but the MCU wasn't as high profile back then, and Ruffalo came in as part of the Avengers. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but having Elba come in as the same character is a little bit insulting, especially if Robbie and others come back.

Insulting to whom? It happens all the time, Dumbledore was recast due to an unfortunate death but they didn't address it. Game of Thrones has recast The Mountain twice without mentioning it, both huge franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

War Machine was also recast in Iron Man.

War Machine was also recast in Iron Man.

Yeah, but in smaller role. Smith is a big personalty. He's front and center of the suicide squad. I dunno, maybe it will work, but right now I just can't imagine Elba with his cockney accent coming in as a believable replacement for Smiths Deadshot. It's going to be completely different character. Its like replacing Chris Pratts Starlord with Jason Statham and expecting no one to notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not going to be an issue to recast him. The vast, vast majority of people going to see Suicide Squad will already know going into it that they simply replaced Will Smith with Idris Elba. Anyone else either won't care or will just realise quickly enough during the movie.

Considering the shift in connectivity within the DCEU, the length of time between Suicide Squad 1 and 2, the general poor performance/reception of the first film, Margot Robbie apparently not coming back (nor being recast, just no HQ in the movie)... I think any attempt to reference or explain why Deadshot looks different will elicit more confusion about it than if it just wasn't mentioned at all.

Plus Idris Elba is a tremendous actor, and can nail an American accent. I'd be more in favour of him in the role than Will Smith coming back.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Insulting to whom? It happens all the time, Dumbledore was recast due to an unfortunate death but they didn't address it. Game of Thrones has recast The Mountain twice without mentioning it, both huge franchises.

I hardly noticed Dumbledore, his face is like 90% beard, and GOT is TV.
    One occasion I remember this working was Holmes/Gyllenhaal in Batman, so it might work. But me thinks this will be a f**king disaster.

Penn wrote: »
    It's not going to be an issue to recast him. The vast, vast majority of people going to see Suicide Squad will already know going into it that they simply replaced Will Smith with Idris Elba. Anyone else either won't care or will just realise quickly enough during the movie.

Considering the shift in connectivity within the DCEU, the length of time between Suicide Squad 1 and 2, the general poor performance/reception of the first film, Margot Robbie apparently not coming back (nor being recast, just no HQ in the movie)... I think any attempt to reference or explain why Deadshot looks different will elicit more confusion about it than if it just wasn't mentioned at all.

Plus Idris Elba is a tremendous actor, and can nail an American accent. I'd be more in favour of him in the role than Will Smith coming back.

I think I'd be fine if everyone was replaced. but if the core team remains the same and the leader is now Elba instead of Smith, playing the same character.... for me, that's just weird. I'd be thinking about it the whole movie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Yeah, but in smaller role. Smith is a big personalty. He's front and center of the suicide squad. I dunno, maybe it will work, but right now I just can't imagine Elba with his cockney accent coming in as a believable replacement for Smiths Deadshot. It's going to be completely different character. Its like replacing Chris Pratts Starlord with Jason Statham and expecting no one tot notice :D

He's hardly going to be speaking with his native accent. When he was on the Wire most people thought he was actually American and from Baltimore.

I get your point but I think it's incredibly unlikely to be the main reason for any failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

But me thinks this will be a f**king disaster.
    I seriously doubt that 99.999% of the audience will give a sh!t even if they notice. The 0.001%, while likely to make lots of social media noise, are irrelevant to the decision makers. The story will decide how good it is, not this casting choice. Elba is every bit the actor that Smith is, many would say better, so that particular part of the movie definitely won't be detrimental to it.

Johnmb wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that 99.999% of the audience will give a sh!t even if they notice. The 0.001%, while likely to make lots of social media noise, are irrelevant to the decision makers. The story will decide how good it is, not this casting choice. Elba is every bit the actor that Smith is, many would say better, so that particular part of the movie definitely won't be detrimental to it.

Okay, I know this is a bit extreme, but lets say J.J Abrams decides to recast Mark Hamills Skywalker with Daniel Day-Lewis, who is no doubt a far superior actor, and it’s a brilliant story... you telling me nobody would give a sh1t?

Again I know it’s an extreme analogy, but my point is that the part belongs to Smith, it’s Smiths character, he’s too central to this incarnation of suicide squad to be recast... if they are starting over, fair enough, but if it’s an actual sequel, I think this recasting is a big mistake.

• Advertisement

Deathstroke/Joe Manganiello needs to be added to the squad.

Advertisement