Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This may be the reason that Will Smith is not Deadshot anymore. I read from an online article recently that Will Smith was cast to be playing the role of Serena & Venus Williams dad in a new biopic film. I don't know his name of the Willliams sister dad. But; there had been some controversy about Will Smith's casting as people around him were saying that he had been seen as too "light" skinned to play the role. I don't know if this new biopic has begun filming yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kerplun k wrote: »
    Again I know it’s an extreme analogy, but my point is that the part belongs to Smith, it’s Smiths character, he’s too central to this incarnation of suicide squad to be recast... if they are starting over, fair enough, but if it’s an actual sequel, I think this recasting is a big mistake.

I think you're vastly over-estimating how much people cared about suicide squad tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think you're vastly over-estimating how much people cared about suicide squad tbh!

Ah yeah, of course, my point is.. if its actually "suicide squad 2" and not some reboot, and they plan on having Deadshot in it, I think it should be the same actor, or at least have some clear narrative explanation on why he's different. If people didn't care about suicide squad, why bother with a sequel?

Obviously I'm in a minority here on this as people seem on board with the idea.

I'd actually extend this out to the whole DCEU. Aquaman, and the overall box office success of the DCEU has shown there is an appetite for this universe, however, we have the rumored exits of Smith, Cavill and Affleck... Would people be okay if these roles were all just recast, and continued to exist with in the DCEU in its current form... without any explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Don't see any issues with it myself, happens fairly regularly in films and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ever heard of James Bond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

See if The Flash movie had been done and released by now, it could be used to explain the changes in the next Suicide Squad film.

But The Flash film is forever stuck in some kind of development hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Okay, I know this is a bit extreme, but lets say J.J Abrams decides to recast Mark Hamills Skywalker with Daniel Day-Lewis, who is no doubt a far superior actor, and it’s a brilliant story... you telling me nobody would give a sh1t?

Again I know it’s an extreme analogy, but my point is that the part belongs to Smith, it’s Smiths character, he’s too central to this incarnation of suicide squad to be recast... if they are starting over, fair enough, but if it’s an actual sequel, I think this recasting is a big mistake.
    That's not just a bit extreme, it's beyond credibility to compare the two. Even ignoring the obvious fact that Suicide Squad was nowhere near as big culturally as Star Wars, the character of Luke was the central character to the original, and was played by Hamill for several movies. It genuinely was Hamill's character. Deadshot was not the central character in Suicide Squad, and Smith only played him once, not enough to have the character regarded as his. Maybe if they recast HQ that would be a bigger deal as she was the central character in the version they made, but even then, it was only for one film...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    See if The Flash movie had been done and released by now, it could be used to explain the changes in the next Suicide Squad film.

But The Flash film is forever stuck in some kind of development hell.

I think they're stuck on the story and they don't think Flashpoint is a must anymore in order to fix things.

Ezra is great even though he was poor in JL but I put that squarely on the shoulders of being "Whedoned". It's unfortunate but I don't feel all that pushed to see a Flash solo right now.

You know, all they need to do is have something like this at the start of a film, and they can begin again:

Looking over the shoulders of two Oans, we see some cosmic event, like a black hole, birthing planets, destroying others.

"There was a crisis."
    "Isn't there always?"
    "Things... will never be the same again. The multiverse died, was reborn. Things are... not quite as they were."
    "Well, isn't that the point? Universes must strive and change and grow, just like those that dwell within it."

Then get on with whatever film you want to show because Avengers has taught people cosmic stuff is always going on in the background and you have to accept not knowing what the giant bald guys are up to.

You know, all they need to do is have something like this at the start of a film, and they can begin again:

Looking over the shoulders of two Oans, we see some cosmic event, like a black hole, birthing planets, destroying others.

"There was a crisis."
    "Isn't there always?"
    "Things... will never be the same again. The multiverse died, was reborn. Things are... not quite as they were."
    "Well, isn't that the point? Universes must strive and change and grow, just like those that dwell within it."

Then get on with whatever film you want to show because Avengers has taught people cosmic stuff is always going on in the background and you have to accept not knowing what the giant bald guys are up to.

The critics would be merciless if they did that. They've been accused of being lazy enough as is. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

i won't care if this much if wasn't shazam 80th anniversary , i just want good movie for his 80th anniversary , taking piss shazam movie and showing him as zero not hero, if i saw new batman this year and that bad this i question it too i glad batman movie coming out next year or year after and not its 80th anniversary this year , this is comedy not hero movie

deathstroke only being member for suicide squad 2 years he isn't proper member he like cyborg for justice league where he only member of justice league for 5yrs

Ezra Miller is pulling a Thanos and doing it himself :D

Link

Seen that. Certainly a strange situation but have to admire Miller's commitment. He obviously signed up for a very different interpretation of the character than what they're trying to force now.

Ezra Miller is suppose be brian Allan but flash joined JLA according to the comics roughly in his 40s not 20s, Ezra Miller is too you be the FLASH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Smertrius wrote: »
    Ezra Miller is suppose be brian Allan but flash joined JLA according to the comics roughly in his 40s not 20s, Ezra Miller is too you be the FLASH
    He plays Barry Allen, not Brian. And this isn't the comics, it the DCEU movie universe, so the specifics of the comics are irrelevant to it. Learn how to differentiate between them. If you are as big a comic fan as you claim, then the concept of different universes (especially in DC comics) shouldn't be that hard to grasp...

Ezra Miller is too you be the FLASH IS TOO BE THE FLASH FROM THE COMICS AND DC MOVIE SHOULD REFLECT THE COMICS, aQUAMAN MOVIE CAME THE COMICS HE PERFECT AGE TOO

Heard it all now Ezra Miller too young to be the Flash yet Aquaman film was comic accurate in its portrayal of Arthur

When it comes to adaptations you’re a real stickler for the comic book specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Please don't quote him.

When it comes to adaptations you’re a real stickler for the comic book specifics.

He just said Aquaman was comic accurate so there's never been a bigger and blatant troll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Comic book canon is horsesh*t, and I say that as a moderator haha. Anyone with a straight face saying the DC comics canon should be obeyed had never read the hawkgirl canon. I'm glad the film franchises pick and choose.

And superman could not fly and wasn't an alien originally ... yet here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Is there anything to be said for making superman asian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for making superman asian?

You mean the New Super-Man?

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Kong_Kenan_(Prime_Earth)

If you can think of it some comic has probably done it. Which lends credence to the idea of not being really wrapped up in canon. One of the annoying things about too many comicbook fans is how resistant they are to any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's with jumping between CAPS and not caps?

Or just shouting nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Heros change over time. They pick up traits and they drop traits.

Whoever the storyteller is should be given the room to tell their version of the character. It's up to DC to make sure they are giving access to these characters to people who can do them justice.

I'd much rather see what a director/writer given loads of room to work can come up with, rather than watching films or reading comics that have to fit into an extremely tight set of rules.

Also what works in the medium of comics doesn't necessarily mean it will work on film. You will always have to change some things. It's daft and unrealistic to expect a complete transfer of comic storylines to film.

Take elements from storylines in the comics but a film version should always be a new, self contained version of a character.

Harley Quin never appeared in Birds of Prey, anyone calling an troll I only doing it by accident I don't intend do it on purpose and I don't care about trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Harley Quin never appeared in Birds of Prey

Harley Quinn didn't begin in comics at all.

So you can't complain about keeping faithful to the comics and that they shouldn't be changed when the character was born outside the medium altogether. By your logic of being as faithful to the original incarnations of the DC universe she doesn't belong at all. I mean you just seem to find any minor thing to take issue with though even though you contradict yourself with some of this stuff. I will never believe that this isn't an in-depth parody account of a comic book fan and faithfulness to the source material.

On a Much more important and relevant note- Omniplex cinemas have sneak previews of Shazam, just got my ticket for the 27th of March.
    Link here- https://t.co/zW9rPLCB4l

So about 9 days early, not too shabby.

if Shazam wasn't harming humans and shazam not breaking the law in the movie would but since he is harming humans and is breaking the law in the movie is crap

Dear god.

• Advertisement

you may've never read the original comics and we should respect them , even so they are fiction , people have no right to change them and make movies movies similar to the comics make good movies like 40s dc movies and other dc movies before 2010 and not take piss on them

Advertisement