Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Zack Snyder has confirmed the existence of the "mythical" SnyderCut of the Justice League, will be released on HBO Max next year.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zack-snyder-release-the-snyder-cut-justice-league-hbo-max-1234611928/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Snyder just confirmed that 'Zach Snyder's Justice League' is coming to HBO Max in 2021.

Looks like it's costing between 20-30 million to finish. They are bringing back some of the original crew to score, cut and do some vfx along with possibly some actors to do voice over. Unclear at the moment is whether it will be a complete 4 hour cut or 6 "chapters."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy shít, the Sunder Cut is real. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

FUUUUUUUUCK YES

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was always going to be released at some stage.

Great marketing tool for HBO Max now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh wow. This is great news. I am honestly delighted to hear that the right & proper version of this movie is getting released on HBOMax. I won't be seeing it from there though. If WB do a limited worldwide theatrical release for it in 2021; I will very happy to see it in the cinema. I will than hope to get the disc of it when it's release date is officially announced by WB. If it's not getting released in the cinema; the disc release will be fine.

Taken from Rolling Stone, who excerpted it from The Hollywood Reporter.
    The Hollywood Reporter writes that it’s unclear what form the Snyder cut of Justice League will take; with a runtime upwards of four hours, it could either be a long superhero film or a six-part TV series. Work on restoring the Snyder cut is now in production, with some of the actors involved reportedly recording new dialogue for the retooled blockbuster.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/zack-snyder-cut-justice-league-hbo-max-1003224/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be clear: The Snyder cut was never real.

They're spending an insane amount of money to splice the existing movie into a mini series, to advertise a streaming service, and using the weird desperation of DCEU conspiracy theorists to promote it.

Kinda clever :D

They're spending an insane amount of money to splice the existing movie into a mini series, to advertise a streaming service, and using the weird desperation of DCEU conspiracy theorists to promote it.

No-one knows what Snyder is going to do or what he's allowed to do. What he originally filmed may not be his true vision, but that doesn't mean he can't somewhat make it happen now.

It's a great day for fans in general because whether you like it or not, these so called conspiracy theorists are the first to make a studio submit and give in. It proves that fans really do have power. That doesn't deserve your or anyone else's scoffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

No-one knows what Snyder is going to do or what he's allowed to do. What he originally filmed may not be his true vision, but that doesn't mean he can't somewhat make it happen now.

It's a great day for fans in general because whether you like it or not, these so called conspiracy theorists are the first to make a studio submit and give in. It proves that fans really do have power. That doesn't deserve your or anyone else's scoffing.

Well, they're not the first but it is an achievement in a way. I would love to see WB's workings though on how they think it's a worthy investment. I'm curious to see it as a lot of people are but I wouldn't even sign up for a free trial to watch it, especially if it's a six part series.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Well, they're not the first but it is an achievement in a way. I would love to see WB's workings though on how they think it's a worthy investment. I'm curious to see it as a lot of people are but I wouldn't even sign up for a free trial to watch it, especially if it's a six part series.

I honestly can't think of a win of this scale against studios. Happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ah, I dunno.
    You can’t deny something went down during the production and the version snyder was shooting, definitely wasn’t the version that Whedon put out.

The production was cursed. Between alcoholism, personal tragedies, and CGI moustaches, this film seen its fair share of bad luck. And remember, Snyder only stepped down as director during the post-production, so he did have a version filmed.

I wouldn’t begrudge Snyder getting a chance to put out a version of this that he considers his own.

One thing I’d be more enthusiastic about seeing is a proper HBO documentary on the production of this.

Anyhews, Just our of sheer curiosity, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing this.

I honestly can't think of a win of this scale against studios. Happy to be corrected.

Well I guess it depends on your perspective but the Sonic movie was delayed for several months while they redesigned the character following fan backlash. James Gunn was sacked from Disney, although eventually rehired it was still a capitulation and it delayed GotG Vol 3 because Gunn went and got himself The Suicide Squad gig. Rise of Skywalker could also be seen as a surrender to fan pressure given the amount of backtracking they did on The Last Jedi but the studio will never openly concede that. At the end of the day WB are doing this because they think they can make money out of it, that's all they care about. I'm not invested in the Snyder cut personally nor have I ever been, so again the scale of the win depends on your perspective.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Ah, I dunno.
    You can’t deny something went down during the production and the version snyder was shooting, definitely wasn’t the version that Whedon put out.

The production was cursed. Between alcoholism, personal tragedies, and CGI moustaches, this film seen its fair share of bad luck. And remember, Snyder only stepped down as director during the post-production, so he did have a version filmed.

I wouldn’t begrudge Snyder getting a chance to put out a version of this that he considers his own.

One thing I’d be more enthusiastic about seeing is a proper HBO documentary on the production of this.

Anyhews, Just our of sheer curiosity, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing this.

I think you're misunderstanding me... the Snyder cut was literally never real, Snyder is getting a second crack at creating something new with a large budget and being able to edit the old footage in. People are going around saying they were right all along... no, you weren't, the studio has just found a way to milk more cash out of you while making you feel you won :D

I mean as long as it's not of the same quality as the other drudgery he put out I'm glad, I hope considering his personal life it's triumphant and amazing. I would like some good to come of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I wonder how much the pandemic played into this happening.

Nearly all production has been paused for the foreseeable future so they might have gotten good deals on editors and VFX teams who are looking for work and significantly reduced the overall cost for it.

I know the timing of the announcement aligns close to the launch of the service but I think the bigger note on timing is probably how deep we are into the pandemic.

Very interested in seeing how this plays out if it turns out to be a disaster. If that is the case, will the fans that spent years of blood, sweat, and tears pushing accept they wasted their time or twist themselves in knots trying to say how amazing it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Very interested in seeing how this plays out if it turns out to be a disaster. If that is the case, will the fans that spent years of blood, sweat, and tears pushing accept they wasted their time or twist themselves in knots trying to say how amazing it is?

Could say the same either way. Will it get unjustified hate because of the build up and push from fans to see it? There will be some on both side no doubt.

I'll bet it'll be very similar to BvS, where some hate and some love it.

Either way not too much is on the line. This universe isn't going forward anymore so doesn't matter how its received. Just needs to push attention to the new streaming service.

Just glad I'll actually get to see what was intended as the follow up to BvS. Not really thinking much about it beyond that personally

Hardly blood, sweat and tears now. Just a well organised group who showed immense support for a director. Credit to them, they put their mind to something unlikely, yet achieved it.

I've been a supporter of the Snyder Cut without thinking what he did was any great shakes, and I do have certain reservations about how he handles these characters but it's great to be able to say there will be no more excuses now and that Snyder can be judged on completed work.

I wonder how much the pandemic played into this happening.
    I read that the Pandemic was a major part of this happening. There was of course talks about it before covid but the full extent is that a lot of visual effects people and industry people in general have no work right now so it lined up from that regard to get people involved.

I've already seen people say it's going to be a masterpiece, it's fan hyperbole, we've seen it with BvS before, regardless of whether you like it or not, some people's love for it is way overblown. I have no doubt that a lot of people regardless of quality will say it is the greatest thing ever and I'm sure others will probably dump on it unnecessarily.

Personally this mostly interests me out of curiosity. A lot of people fought for it, sometimes they were an unbearable toxic fanbase, other times they were a decent community who were quite wholesome. I'm very interested to see what form this takes and what happens in the future for DC. Even if I am not confident at all that this movie is going to be A) Good and B) Capable of including half of the things Snyder has eluded to it having or C) That the fanbase will be entirely satisfied with it anyway.

Still interesting and very curious to see how it all plays out and what the end result is. Saw people clamoring for Ayer's Suicide Squad cut now.

Hardly blood, sweat and tears now. Just a well organised group who showed immense support for a director. Credit to them, they put their mind to something unlikely, yet achieved it.

Ah, some of it seemed like a huge effort. They provided concerted effort over a few years did fundraising, bought advertising signs, airplane flyovers, clothing, posters, online drives etc.

Compare this to Sonic, where fans got significant changes and the associated expense from the studio after a few days of tweeting.

My original point is that when you put in so much effort it is incredibly hard to admit that you were wrong and it was all for nothing, because the movie is rubbish. That isn't the same effort as someone who sent one tweet or that just doesn't want something to succeed.

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    Still interesting and very curious to see how it all plays out and what the end result is. Saw people clamoring for Ayer's Suicide Squad cut now.

I'd be much more interested in seeing that

The Sonic comparison is a bit disingenuous as the situations are apples and oranges. You're comparing forcing a redesign during production of a low stakes film, to the complete course correction that was Joss Whedon's Justice League along with the hefty expense that came with it. The latter was a literal juggernaut.

The Sonic comparison is a bit disingenuous as the situations are apples and oranges. You're comparing forcing a redesign during production of a low stakes film, to the complete course correction that was Joss Whedon's Justice League along with the hefty expense that came with it. The latter was a literal juggernaut.

No they're not, they're comparing the outcries of the DCEU fans and the Sonic fans (which actually are different in a lot of ways, as the Sonic outcry was in derision of something alien to the source material, and the Snyder stuff is often in stark contrast of the source material).

This doesn't really make much sense in a comparison in any case, the Sonic fanbase managed to make their changes for the better, Warner basically flailed around like a fish above water from the second the money came in for Man of Steel. If the fans got what they wanted in the same way, they would have taken 10 years to ramp up to JLA with many films and film makers with many love letters to the post crisis DCU. We were all there that's what we wanted :D

Now they're letting people think they achieved some massive people power moment- while taking 2 sets of money off them for the one film, which won't put them out at all in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

if they are shooting some additional scenes I wonder if there’ll be any cameos. I’d like to see Shazam, Deathstroke, Grant Gustins Flash :)

But I suppose any additional reshoots like this would take away the argument that this is a snyder cut and more of a cash grab.

kerplun k wrote: »
    if they are shooting some additional scenes I wonder if there’ll be any cameos. I’d like to see Shazam, Deathstroke, Grant Gustins Flash :)

But I suppose any additional reshoots like this would take away the argument that this is a snyder cut and more of a cash grab.

They're definitely recording new dialogue but I haven't heard anything about shooting new scenes.

Now they're letting people think they achieved some massive people power moment- while taking 2 sets of money off them for the one film, which won't put them out at all in the slightest.

It's a risky investment for a number of reasons. For one because for a €20m investment is it really going to draw eyes to HBOMax beyond the people who want to see it?

Secondly not only have they opened the gates back open Snyder as well but to Henry Cavill as Superman, as now they've put themselves in a position where they'll be expected to make a new deal with him.

And most of all I'd just ask is it worth their bother to breath life back into this thing when they've already moved on? Is it really worth investing in it as a flagship presentation on a streaming platform they dearly want to hit the ground running? These are all questions that will be up in the air for a long time and which will lead to further issues.

So in short, this isn't as you suggested a simple cash grab. It's clearly a complex situation that Snyder, Cavill and WB have been negotiating for quite awhile.

It's a risky investment for a number of reasons. For one because for a €20m investment is it really going to draw eyes to HBOMax beyond the people who want to see it?

Secondly not only have they opened the gates back open Snyder as well but to Henry Cavill as Superman, as now they've put themselves in a position where they'll be expected to make a new deal with him.

And most of all I'd just ask is it worth their bother to breath life back into this thing when they've already moved on? Is it really worth investing in it as a flagship presentation on a streaming platform they dearly want to hit the ground running? These are all questions that will be up in the air for a long time and which will lead to further issues.

So in short, this isn't as you suggested a simple cash grab. It's clearly a complex situation that Snyder, Cavill and WB have been negotiating for quite awhile.

I originally thought it was a terrible investment but the more that I think about it they should be in a safe enough place to make most, if not all of their money back. The returns won't only come in from people signing up to HBOMax, they'll be able to sell the rights to different markets - I'm sure the likes of Netflix will be all over it for Ireland & UK, then add to that some uptick in merchandise sales, and potentially limited theater run. We've also seen how early estimates on costs can be way overblown and that is before the industry is dying for any kind of work, so I'd expect the cost will end up being significantly less than what is advertised.

The other benefit is making the hardcore fans feel like they've won and this could help them with future releases by having them onside. There was recently such negative media about Pattinson so having something positive coming down the tracks can only be helpful with the latest slate of DC movies coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I originally thought it was a terrible investment but the more that I think about it they should be in a safe enough place to make most, if not all of their money back. The returns won't only come in from people signing up to HBOMax, they'll be able to sell the rights to different markets - I'm sure the likes of Netflix will be all over it for Ireland & UK, then add to that some uptick in merchandise sales, and potentially limited theater run. We've also seen how early estimates on costs can be way overblown and that is before the industry is dying for any kind of work, so I'd expect the cost will end up being significantly less than what is advertised.

The other benefit is making the hardcore fans feel like they've won and this could help them with future releases by having them onside. There was recently such negative media about Pattinson so having something positive coming down the tracks can only be helpful with the latest slate of DC movies coming up.

Agreed.

The loss on the movie has come and gone. I don’t see them losing a penny of the 30 million. It’s effectively a completely new 330mil movie for a tenth of the price. There will be enough interest to make that back comfortably. If it’s not good they had already written of that part of the franchise and they go back to their marvelesque individual movies that are doing great. If it does work they can possibly revisit the JL and superman franchise without another huge reboot. I don’t see them losing at all whatever happens.

And of course it’s a great filler now that all movies are on hold so it can be made relatively quickly.

So according to a Deadline Hollywood report, we haven't seen the last of Henry Cavill's Superman.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/man-of-steel-henry-cavill-superman-warner-bros-1202945025/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement

Still no solo Superman movie it sounds like though :(

Also seems that if he does pop up again it won't be till at least late 2021 at best but more likely 2022.

Advertisement