Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Slydice wrote: »
    I thought he put in a solid performance in The Wall:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4218696/

Felt like a serious film though. Not sure how he'll stack up in a comedy role if that is what Gunn has in mind.

Not too much of a stretch for him, but he's very, very funny in Southpaw Wrestling. I think he has it in him to make that very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Slydice wrote: »
    I thought he put in a solid performance in The Wall:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4218696/

Felt like a serious film though. Not sure how he'll stack up in a comedy role if that is what Gunn has in mind.

He is extremely funny, so I don't think it'll be much trouble for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is that just the same trailer that was released a few months back but in black and white?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patty Jenkins say she and Geoff Johns have plans for a spin off and they have written the script to that which will be set between Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 84 that will link both those films and Wonder Woman 3.

She will produce it bit not direct it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Geoff Johns now there's a name I thought would be on the outs. Such a weird dynamic going on in WB/DC right now.

Geoff Johns now there's a name I thought would be on the outs. Such a weird dynamic going on in WB/DC right now.

It's really throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. TBH, financially, that seems to be working for them. The only real failure to do well at the box office has been Birds of Prey and that came out right at the start of covid, and apparently still broke even-ish.

Curious to know what the spin off from WW2 could possibly be though mind.

Curious to know what the spin off from WW2 could possibly be though mind.

Three immediate thoughts: Wonder girl, Hypolita, or outside bet on Justice League International (Max Lord's knock off JL).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

According to the New York Times, Michael Keaton will be the DCEU Batman going forward, starting with #TheFlash and Robert Pattinson will be Batman on Earth 2

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    According to the New York Times, Michael Keaton will be the DCEU Batman going forward, starting with #TheFlash and Robert Pattinson will be Batman on Earth 2

Keaton's Batman as a Tony Stark-esque figure would have been a good left field choice to launch the DCEU, but introducing him now as a regular player just seems like them going all in on the wrong direction....again. it's fine for The Flash but beyond that it's not the right direction.

And if they start retroactively saying such and such character belongs to such and such earth I'll lose the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

If that's true that is pretty laughable and a total misstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Like he would make sense as Thomas Wayne who becomes Batman in Flashpoint and he then somehow ends up in Earth 1 or what ever is the main DCEU Earth. In the comics there was a storyline where he wanted Bruce to give up Batman so this way could make sense to give Affleck a way out

The only way I can see this make sense is if they are going the Batman Beyond route and he is mentoring a new Batman.
    Seriously though it's starting to look like we're going to have 2 Batmen and no Superman the way things are going.

NYT is fairly credible, right?

I can't see him being the primary version of Batman, as others have said. Interesting.

The producers at Warners really need to look to why Disney can pump financial hit after hit out and put someone in charge, and not fire them before their changes can take effect. I think that could be the real reason for the total variability of the DC films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

It has been debunked by original source. Keaton only appearing in Flash movie

https://www.cbr.com/michael-keaton-main-dceu-batman-debunked/

NYT is fairly credible, right?

I can't see him being the primary version of Batman, as others have said. Interesting.

The producers at Warners really need to look to why Disney can pump financial hit after hit out and put someone in charge, and not fire them before their changes can take effect. I think that could be the real reason for the total variability of the DC films.

They just need to have someone steering the mainstream properties as a cohesive unit.

Outside of that I'm fine with directors getting their shot at a "black label" type idea similar to what Todd Philips had envisioned for Joker. It's great having someone calling the shots but according to Phillips, Walter Hamada had no interest in Joker. Had Hamada had a Feige level of power Joker wouldn't have been made.

It has been debunked by original source. Keaton only appearing in Flash movie

https://www.cbr.com/michael-keaton-main-dceu-batman-debunked/

Lol, nice to see the source debunking *so* clearly.

They just need to have someone steering the mainstream properties as a cohesive unit.

Outside of that I'm fine with directors getting their shot at a "black label" type idea similar to what Todd Philips had envisioned for Joker. It's great having someone calling the shots but according to Phillips, Walter Hamada had no interest in Joker. Had Hamada had a Feige level of power Joker wouldn't have been made.

Ah yeah homogeneity isn't really what I meant, even over in Marvel land the odd Big Hero 6 or First Class helps with a fresh feel. I meant more what you did, a unifying voice for the continuity connected films has to happen, and they need to have a bit less chaos on average. Hamada has been kind of stable so far but churn's been happening since MoS didn't hit the figures they wanted, with interference and replacements happening all the time. Apparently Geoff Johns didn't even get to see most of the films he green lit see the screen in the job :D

Hamada has signed a deal to remain as DC Films President until at least 2023.
    His reign has been pretty inconsistent imo and I think until they can get some consistency in the quality of their films the DCEU (or whatever it is) will be wasted potential.

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    Hamada has signed a deal to remain as DC Films President until at least 2023.
    His reign has been pretty inconsistent imo and I think until they can get some consistency in the quality of their films the DCEU (or whatever it is) will be wasted potential.

I kinda misspoke there, I didn't really mean the films were consistent, more you're not constantly hearing about backstage rubbish, and the stuff you do hear is related to pre Hamada (all the Cyborg stuff from JL). How long has Hamada been there? I can remember when Aquaman was doing bank and he was getting credit people were complaining because that was just when the Johns greenlit films were actually coming out. I think it takes about 2-3 years before you're really seeing the current plan.

The last DC film I saw I could say is a good film is Joker, BoP was a total miss for me (still can't get over what they did to the one Batgirl who they deigned worthy to have in it) and WW 84 was a worthy attempt at doing something different that missed the mark with weird pacing issues.

Wasn't even especially responding to your comment really, I think you hear the odd thing, probably more than a Marvel. The question is how much of it you can believe.

The thing is DC has reshuffled so many times that it's hard to keep track of who was in charge of what and when. Technically Johns has been involved in DC media since 2010 when he was CCO of DC Entertainment, a position now held by Jim Lee. Hamada has been around since January 2018. Of course by then Aquaman had finished filming and was in post production. Filming for Shazam started shortly after he joined. Yet he was apparently given a lot of credit for overseeing it at New Line Cinema which lead to him getting the DC job. As much as people talk about Geoff Johns, Hamada didn't replace Johns he replaced Jon Berg and works with Geoff for a few months before Geoff Johns is let go. All that is also ignoring the President of DC Entertainment at this time Diane Nelson.

It's one of the other understated reasons for why DC films are a mess and not just inconsistent in the quality of their films but also in their output and aims. It's one of the reasons why it seems they have a different slate of films every couple of years. It's been a revolving door of who is in charge and of what department. The AT&T merger is probably going to complicate this even further. So realistically if you had to credit Hamada with the DC films it would probably be from Shazam onwards. So Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey and WW84. Those alone are massive jumps in a cohesive vision and quality. Put on top of that the chairman of WB didn't want to make Joker.

Hamada's vision is a mixed presentation from streaming to cinemas. They've always wanted to be Marvel and when you see Disney announcing their Disney+ plans for the MCU they are following suit. Despite the fact they have done a lot less to earn that than Disney have. Disney are also pushing that this is the MCU. With WB who knows, as much as they can say whatever shows or movies they put on HBO Max are part of a shared universe, who's to say? Are regular consumers going to be able to distinguish this stuff from the usual CW superhero fare?

They bungled their shared universe so now they're downplaying it and having separate films while still insisting that there is a DCEU even though by the time Flashpoint comes out it will be nearly 10 years since the 'DCEU' launched with Man of Steel and they have very little to show for it except a disaster of a Justice League film that they are still trying to get right 3 years after it flopped into cinemas.

WB in general is a mess right now. A few years ago they said the pillars of their film division would be Harry Potter, DC and Lego. They ran Lego into the ground in record time to the point it jumped ship to Universal. Harry Potter is in the toilet after the Fantastic Beast franchise seems to be coming off the rails. DC is just not in a good place overall and with the next entry coming to HBO Max who knows when the ship is going to be righted. The rest of the studio is also in chaos thanks to that HBO Max deal that has damaged their reputation and relationships with filmmakers. What that means going forward, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway rant over :D

WB in general is a mess right now. A few years ago they said the pillars of their film division would be Harry Potter, DC and Lego. They ran Lego into the ground in record time to the point it jumped ship to Universal. Harry Potter is in the toilet after the Fantastic Beast franchise seems to be coming off the rails. DC is just not in a good place overall and with the next entry coming to HBO Max who knows when the ship is going to be righted. The rest of the studio is also in chaos thanks to that HBO Max deal that has damaged their reputation and relationships with filmmakers. What that means going forward, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway rant over :D

Well there's been such an arrogance to WB's approach towards a lot of these properties that I find it hard to have any sympathy for them in their alleged war with AT&T.

As you pointed out it's not just DC that has been victim of their hare brained strategy.

Well there's been such an arrogance to WB's approach towards a lot of these properties that I find it hard to have any sympathy for them in their alleged war with AT&T.

As you pointed out it's not just DC that has been victim of their hare brained strategy.
    True, I think watching how the DC universe has unfolded has honestly just shown how well Marvel have done with their universe. There was a definite tinge of arrogance wwith their properties that now looks like wasted potential.

True, I think watching how the DC universe has unfolded has honestly just shown how well Marvel have done with their universe. There was a definite tinge of arrogance wwith their properties that now looks like wasted potential.

It's interesting to note that there was a potential of similar happening to the MCU only Disney sided with Feige over Perlmutter and Loeb when he did his big powerplay around the time of Civil War.

We'd still be looking at Inhumans movies and 75 more series on random channels with nothing really to do with the MCU today if they'd chosen the other way, and probably not gotten Endgame, and definitely not Black Panther, Cap Marvel, etc...

Interesting aside - Marvel Comics is currently undergoing something of a X-Men renaissance under the purview of Johnathon Hickman. If you haven't read any of it, it's great, and would make a good basis for their entry to the MCU ( basically all the mutants live on an island state and while still somewhat persecuted are a world power on the basis of- well- power).

The X-Men had had a rough time being sidelined and often being used to promote the Inhumans by being made their whipping boys (because of Perlmutters weird obsession with annoying Fox). They'd a few weird, hard ears full of deaths and depressing stories, turning characters against type.

I listened to a podcast with Tini Howard and a few other current X writers were discussing Hickman a bit. Apparently, in one of their first meetings about this great new direction for them, he was hitting the table shouting "we HAVE to give them wins". Apparently he wasn't just talking about the X-Men themselves, but the readers. And I kind of think that applies to what we're seeing in DCEU right now- I don't feel like I've left one with a "win" since Wonder Woman or Shazam.

Definitely, Perlmutter was dreadful especially they were lucky to be rid of him. I remember people complaining about Avi Arad when it came to Spider-Man as well but I think he's been pushed to the side mostly now too.

It was hilariously petty the way they treated the X-Men for so long, I definitely have to check out the Hickman run, heard great things. The introduction of the X-Men into the MCU is going to be fascinating to watch. You're right too, I think general audiences feel the same as you. With something like the MCU they have a guaranteed track record of making at least enjoyable films if nothing else, DC don't have that same guarantee and it's gong to hurt them in the long run. Shazam was personally the last time I felt glad to have gone to a DC film even though I didn't mind Birds of Prey tbh. I think them doubling down on HBO Max that it will only instill in some people that DC films are not worth the trip to the cinema.

Depends on what is deemed a win. Watching Infinity War was the stuff my childhood dreams were made of. Watching that entire film, and the Portals scene in Endgame.....all I can remember is a big huge smile on my face. All I need to see now is Galactus on the big screen and I think that will be all the boxes ticked from from childhood wishlist.

DC films have always been a bit more scatterbrained but the potential for brilliance that comes with that is high. The Dark Knight Trilogy, while taking many cues from the comics, was not a set of films that could ever be called pure comic book goodness but I would not trade them for anything.

I thought Snyder was going to be possibly the person to deliver on that comic book goodness for DC but to say he was hit and miss on what he delivered would be an understatement. I still can't believe how....boring his Darkseid looks.

Anyway long story short taking chances in the genre is important but so is delivering on what fans have dreamed of. There's a fine balance there to be achieved. Hopefully DC will get their Feige down the line to deliver on it, but I just can't see it given the amount of cooks involved at Warner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

screen-shot-2017-05-04-at-90825-pmpng.png?rect=0%2C5%2C493%2C247&fm=png&w=500

Evergreen image. ;)

Haven't seen WW84 yet but the DC movies seem to have gone through a period of being po-faced with Dark Knight lighting to tongue in cheek look-we're-fun-honest movies with Dark Knight lighting.

^ Iwan Rheon agreeing to star in that post his Game of Thrones stint has to rank up their as one of the sh1ttest decisions ever made in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

^ Iwan Rheon agreeing to star in that post his Game of Thrones stint has to rank up their as one of the sh1ttest decisions ever made in the business.

Just get the guy who played a mad person in GoT was... unambitious casting.

Was thinking the same with Maisie Williams in New Mutants being direwolfsbane. Not that she was bad at it or anything.

Advertisement