Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Some interesting stuff here.

• Following MCUs approach with an animation in universe show called Creature Commandos.
    • Ezra Miller still as flash (for now)
    • Viola Davis also gets her own show, so this isn't a complete reboot of the DCEU.
    • Cavill is indeed out, with a new Sups film slatted for 2025.
    • Affleck also out with 2 new Batman films slatted, One with a DCU Batman and the other being listed as an Elseworlds with Rpatz.
    • Gadot also out, with Wonder Women now a GOT style Show, set before WW.
    • Swamp Thing, Supergirl, Green Lanterns projects also announced.
    • DCU Movie and Television will be connected.

Post edited by kerplun k on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

More from Gunn on Twitter video announcement.

Confirming the Flash will basically reset the DCEU, now officially called the DCU.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1620468379672002565?s=20&t=mD2nq8pcVUWVQffa75FBIw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Brave and the Bold sounds interesting and what I thought they had to do i.e. take a massive departure from the more recent grim iterations. Bale, Pattison and even Affleck have more than covered that aspect of the character. Whether they can execute it correctly is a whole other question.

Same an Superman; again it's talking the talk but whether they can deliver it is another thing. Snyder side stepped a pure Superman for a reason so it will be fascinating to see if Gunn can manage it.

Outside of that, nothing really to discuss at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Hollywood Handle's Twitter feed has reported that in the last half hour that Tai-Nishi Coates will develop his Black Superman movie with JJ Abrams under the DC Elsewords brand.

That means there will be 2 Superman movies that will be completely separate to each other on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The Suicide Squad wasso bad, so not sure how this is going to work out..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably they're keeping their options open, on the small chance Miller wins audiences with The Flash movie.

Interesting how Gadot is out; with Mamoa I'd have presumed she still had enough goodwill to be kept around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

interesting details here

Some rules that the duo will abide by in creating their universe:

–Anyone cast on the DC TV side as a character will also respectively play that character on the film side.

–No one actor will play two parts. Hence, Momoa is Aquaman going forward, not Lobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m very surprised that it isn’t a complete recent reset and bringing in all new actors. I assume there is good reason in Gunn’s mind why Cavill and Gadot are out and why others others are staying but Cavill and Gadot are the ones that I would have picked to stay.

I’m happy that about the unconnected movies being Elseworlds and that the Superman movie is going to have him as an established hero and skip the origin. And Gunn has said that this Superman would be “really good” and “almost saintly” which I also like.

A nice mix of well known and lesser known characters though. Hopefully Wonder Woman and a new Flash are not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Face Palm, Face Palm, Face Palm

Feel it's doomed before it's even rebooted

Does this all mean that current shows like Titans, Stargirl, Superman & Lois, etc. and and any animated series (don’t know if there is any at moment) are coming to an end?

Peter Safran praised the cast and crew of the Batgirl movie but also said the film was so bad that it would have hurt the entire DC movie franchise and was “unsalvageable”. Hard to believe his praise for the cast and crew if the film was THAT bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Correct. Titans was only announced as getting the axe in the last week. The rest IIRC were already getting the chop; basically anything CW is gone, with existing shows on a bit of a burn off (I think that Gotham Knights show is the last DC property).

I like Titans but the stories in the first two seasons felt like they could have been told with less episodes.

I really enjoy Stargirl and even though I like the team it would be better if it was just her and the robot with other heroes in guest appearances.

I didn’t know about Gotham Knights. It really does sound woeful. Is that adopted son even a Batman character? I assume legalities meant Gun and Sarfin couldn’t stop it and they are just hoping it ends up cancelled soon.

No, apparently the son is a character made for the show and I guess cos they didn't have rights to use Damien Wayne or any of the rest. I suspect it's already dead and will get an official stamp a few episodes in; as you say it looks abysmally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well Comicbook.com has put out a recent article about Gunn and Safran giving their thoughts on Superman & Lois. They said that they want the show to continue for another one or two seasons on The CW.

The reason for this decision is that the show has been very popular with fans in the U.S and around the world. If it is getting high ratings on BBC One and iPlayer in the UK along with similar thoughts expressed from fans living in other countries. That would be very positive news for it to stay on the air for a little while longer.

Has a stop also been put to JJ Abrams DC movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Probably a mix of who has a movie coming out soon that they've already invested in and don't want to come out and tell the audiences to an even greater extent that going to see the movies is a waste of time, along with which characters they want to do things with sooner with in the new DCU.

Hard to reboot SM in the short term with the baggage of Cavill's story, similarly the new WW prequel is tougher when some audiences might tie everything back to Gadot's story.

With the other DCEU actors that are currently retained, it would not surprise me if they get replaced later before their characters appear in the new DCU or they'll end up sitting them out hoping time will wipe some memories.

Yes, but they’ve already said that Viola Davis will be playing Amanda Waller in a TV series and I believe Gunn said it was a spin-off from Suicide Squad and Peacemaker - which seems to suggest his projects will remain canon.

If he is keeping Davis then why not Cavill, etc. If it is a reset then let it be an actual reset a fresh set of actors for all the roles.

Anyways I’m looking forward to more DC films and to it being a shared universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bit of apples to oranges there - she isn't a blockbuster movie lead.

We really know very little about her in the DCEU so she can easily be folded in as the exact same role in DCU without having to retcon much, if anything at all.

Completely different to the situation with the other tent pole characters, where it seems like the new versions will be fundamentally different in either character or backstory.

It's just a personal thing but there's something awfully cheap looking about purple light. Blue as well, depending on type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Remember Superhero Movie which was a pisstake out of Spider-Man, this looks like that but they're ridiculing Iron Man. Seriously how are they getting away with that helmet design.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks funny.

Has anyone asked James Gunn why he is keeping his DC projects as canon while he restarts everything else?

Does the Amazon Women (which is as I recall set in the past) series mean that a new Wonder Woman is years off?

it is very annoying that they finally had the perfect actors for Superman and Wonder Woman but they didn’t utilise them properly or enough.

Anyway, I have a question about Superman Returns. I know it isn’t dealt with in the movie and has always bugged me.

According to the movie, Lois has no idea her kid is the son of Superman until Lex brings it up after the piano incident. This makes sense since the kid is always in poor health and she doesn’t remember when Superman depowered and they had an affair.

However, when it becomes obvious Superman is the father why does Lois not get disturb by the revelation that Superman had sex with her and she didn’t know it?

Also, is Superman Returns meant as a sequel to the original Superman II or to the Donner Cut? I have not seen the latter but apparently Superman turned back time again (at least the magic kiss was original) so did Lois stay pregnant?

He is not very interesting in Cobra Kai (neither is Robbie) but I know nothing of Blue Beetle so it a welcome new superhero movie.

Advertisement