Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yikes, that makes two directors who've left that film due to creative differences. Not a good omen.

So I guess DC isn't allowing creative freedom of the directors in their movie universe after all... like so many were banging on about when the DCMU had just one movie released.

Ultimately it's a pity though, the comic movies need more shots up the arm like Deadpool. Marvel, while enjoyable, has very little flair left. Sure, it's stories/characters throw up some cool visuals, great action and a pleasant narrative with crossovers and a big bad but it's all same same at this point. DC had a chance to do something different, to stand apart from Marvel, but they stumbled at the first hurdle, faceplanted at the second and it's 'quirky' movie wasn't the saviour they hoped for... so they are settling to be a darker, angst-riddled, slow motion version of the MCU. Surprise surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Warner Brothers began to stifle creativity a long time ago, all they've done here is prove that they're still fcukwits.

It's even more brilliant given that they already allowed the director to put his stamp on the film by casting an actor he's worked with before. I just hope the bloke is good enough to stand on his own!

WB being more hands on like Marvel isn't necessarily a bad thing but there's an air of confidence in the latter doing it. Everything from Rhodey/Hulk recast to sacking Edgar Wright, it's worked out fine.

WB just leave a sea of wreckage in their wake everytime they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Agree with you both.
    Ben Gadot wrote: »
    It's even more brilliant given that they already allowed the director to put his stamp on the film by casting an actor he's worked with before. I just hope the bloke is good enough to stand on his own!

I can't for the life of me think of who you're talking of...

Sorry not a bloke, a woman, Kiersey Clemons. She was in Dope which was directed by your man who dropped out of directing this. She's playing Iris West.

I haven't seen her in anything but it looks like she has okish credits anyway, hopefully she'll be fine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Warner Brothers began to stifle creativity a long time ago, all they've done here is prove that they're still fcukwits.

WB being more hands on like Marvel isn't necessarily a bad thing but there's an air of confidence in the latter doing it. Everything from Rhodey/Hulk recast to sacking Edgar Wright, it's worked out fine.

WB just leave a sea of wreckage in their wake everytime they do it.

I really want to see what the new regime can do though. Maybe we need to give them time.

Even saying that though I feel like I'm giving Warner (as opposed to Affleck/ Johns) a free pass they don't deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I really want to see what the new regime can do though. Maybe we need to give them time.

Even saying that though I feel like I'm giving Warner (as opposed to Affleck/ Johns) a free pass they don't deserve.

Who's the new regime?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Who's the new regime?

Geoff Johns as the man in charge and Ben Affleck as the de facto second (given that he's director and exec producer of the next Batman movie, which is their most viable property).

I think Johns has a bigger task on his plate than Feige, as Marvel did everything in house and I doubt Feige has many more above him to answer to creatively.

Johns has to deal with the juggernaut that is WB and it's always going to be a massive roadblock for him. It'd be different if WB just set up a DC sub branch, which would be essentially the equivalent of the Marvel Studios.

Feige has also proved himself with 14 successful movies (some less so but still) and the fact he was able to oust Perlmutter from power over the films shows how much faith Disney has in him.

Johns has proved himself in comics (Rebirth being such a recent success is a huge win for him) and as a competent enough TV writer but they'd be right to keep a watchful eye over his first few films. That said, having someone in creative control who knows and understands the characters will be a brand new thing for WB so they might be so overwhelmed by his knowledge that they just let him go at it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Feige has also proved himself with 14 successful movies (some less so but still) and the fact he was able to oust Perlmutter from power over the films shows how much faith Disney has in him.

Johns has proved himself in comics (Rebirth being such a recent success is a huge win for him) and as a competent enough TV writer but they'd be right to keep a watchful eye over his first few films. That said, having someone in creative control who knows and understands the characters will be a brand new thing for WB so they might be so overwhelmed by his knowledge that they just let him go at it!

I'm of the opinion that Affleck (who has proven to make amazing films repeatedly with creative control) might provide the strengths where Johns lacks (very few people understand why superheroes work the way he does, thus the success of the rebirth series, but he's not been so successful on the big screen). But they could totally hate each other so you don't really know.

Anyway seeing as Warner has been bought by AT&T there is another, even greater layer of grey suit for them to balance now. It's an unenviable task I'd say but I really, really want them to succeed!

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of Johns tbh. I've read a few things by him that I've liked a lot but mostly, I find his books boring and samey. That said, I thought DC Universe Rebirth was phenomenal and it's obviously done more than it promised, line-wide so I gotta give him props for that. I also really enjoyed all of his Smallville episodes a lot.

I have huge faith in Affleck though. A great director, a passionate comic book fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harley Quinn-Birds of Prey Movie’s Screenwriter Revealed
    Screenwriter Christina Hodson is scripting the Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey spinoff for Warner Bros. and DC Films, TheWrap has learned exclusively.

The film is not a Quinn solo movie, but rather would feature multiple female superheroes — and possibly villains — in the DC Comics universe.

Margot Robbie, last seen as the Harley Quinn in “Suicide Squad,” is attached to reprise her role as Quinn and is also producing the untitled project.

http://www.thewrap.com/harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-christina-hodson/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Willem Dafoe joins the cast of Aquaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Green goblin crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Or is he playing that character from the life aquatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

Already confirmed for Justice League playing Nuidis Vulko (primarily a character from Aquaman), so it's just a natural progression from there.

Here's some terrible news....

David Ayer To Direct Female Led GOTHAM CITY SIRENS Movie Starring Margot Robbie

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/david-ayer-to-direct-female-led-gotham-city-sirens-movie-starring-a147497

Followed by some more terrible news....

SUICIDE SQUAD Sequel Being Developed Alongside A DEADSHOT Solo Movie

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/suicide-squad-sequel-being-developed-alongside-a-deadshot-solo-a147500

Links & description stolen from film forum..!

Bad news in a way but hardly surprising. Ayer played the company game to perfection while also making money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zack Synder and David Ayer, the 2 pillars of DCs movie universe. Lord help us but 2016 really has been one terrible year altogether no matter where you turn.

David Ayer directing an all female (main) cast though. Ha. I wonder if he'll get his tips for strong female characters from Frank Miller :rolleyes:

On a partially unrelated note, I did start watching Supergirl and while its themes are utterly on-the-nose, it's so much fun! Like The Flash really, albeit before Barry started ruining everything :) The difference between TV DC and Movie DC is so stark is staggering that these properties come from the same origin.

Bad news in a way but hardly surprising. Ayer played the company game to perfection while also making money.

True enough. People say that eventually everyone will get sick of superhero movies - I think the reality is that DC will destroy it all with lack of focus and terrible directors...
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Zack Synder and David Ayer, the 2 pillars of DCs movie universe. Lord help us but 2016 really has been one terrible year altogether no matter where you turn.

David Ayer directing an all female (main) cast though. Ha. I wonder if he'll get his tips for strong female characters from Frank Miller

I actually shudder to think. It's gotten to the point where I think I'll only watch the core hero films...
    pixelburp wrote: »
    On a partially unrelated note, I did start watching Supergirl and while its themes are utterly on-the-nose, it's so much fun! Like The Flash really, albeit before Barry started ruining everything :) The difference between TV DC and Movie DC is so stark is staggering that these properties come from the same origin.

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Megan Fox rumoured to be play Ivy in Gotham City Sirens.

http://www.slashfilm.com/megan-fox-poison-ivy/

Ah jesus. If Margot really is one of the producers I can only hope she is mindful of her own casting.

Ah jesus. If Margot really is one of the producers I can only hope she is mindful of her own casting.

I've a feeling if the Megan Fox rumour is indeed true, she'd probably be shoehorned in by the studio, add another "big name actress" to the mix, Warner/DC after all do love a bit of a meddle..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lithium93_ wrote:
    I've a feeling if the Megan Fox rumour is indeed true, she'd probably be shoehorned in by the studio, add another "big name actress" to the mix, Warner/DC after all do love a bit of a meddle..

Is Megan Fox still a "big name"?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is Megan Fox still a "big name"?

That all depends on a person, but I wouldn't consider her a "big name"

Recognisable without being overly expensive or overshadowing Margot Robbie. Perfect cocktail for a crappy film.

Looking at the actual info at hand it looks like Fox put herself forward for the role so in that context....I ain't worried.

If Megan Fox being cast was the worst thing about this movie, I'd be delighted tbh. As it stands though, David Ayer in the director's chair looks tough to beat as the worst thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If Megan Fox being cast was the worst thing about this movie, I'd be delighted tbh. As it stands though, David Ayer in the director's chair looks tough to beat as the worst thing.

If Suicide Squad is anything to go by, Poison Ivy will point to a flower, say "I made that" and then never use her powers again for the rest of the film.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    If Suicide Squad is anything to go by, Poison Ivy will point to a flower, say "I made that" and then never use her powers again for the rest of the film.

If double-thanking were possible...

Advertisement