Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Affleck considering of pulling out as director of the Batman solo film?
    Affleck was asked about directing the DC superhero project, and answered: ‘That’s the idea. But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great, I’m not going to do it.’

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/01/ben-affleck-my-dreams-have-true-come-at-a-price

If that happens I really don't hold out any hope for the DCEU if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

They start shooting in the Spring, and they still haven't got a script sorted, what are they at..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Only thing I can take from that is that there's still a power struggle going on. From Affleck to go from stating his affinity for the character from an early age to saying he's doing it for his kid is just too on the nose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    They start shooting in the Spring, and they still haven't got a script sorted, what are they at..

Given a competent script didn't prevent suicide squad making a sizable profit, I really think we on the outside are more worried about the logistics than DC probably are. It seems like chaos, but so far it has been profitable chaos...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Only thing I can take from that is that there's still a power struggle going on. From Affleck to go from stating his affinity for the character from an early age to saying he's doing it for his kid is just too on the nose.

I wonder if affleck doesnt like the direction their taking the justice league and dc universe itself so is unwilling to commit fully unless he has more say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in WB to see what sort of crap is going on. Nothing would surprise me considering the likes of Jon Peters etc held so much sway over the years. It's characters like that that call the shots there, i.e. Imbeciles that have no clue what they are doing and/or no concept of dealing with source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm wayyyy out of my depth here... but who is Jon Peters, and what did he do badly...

yes, I am going to auntie google after this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

ahhhhh

gotcha... From Wiki

Superman Lives, Superman Returns and Man of Steel
    In the early 1990s, he bought the rights to the Superman film franchise from Warner Bros. In his Q&A/comedy DVD, An Evening With Kevin Smith, writer/director Kevin Smith related an anecdote about working for Peters when he was hired to write a script for a new Superman movie, then called Superman Reborn, and later renamed Superman Lives.According to Smith, Peters had expressed disdain for most of Superman's iconic characteristics by demanding that Superman was never to fly or appear in his trademark costume. He also suggested Sean Penn as being ideal for the role, based on his performance as a death row inmate in Dead Man Walking saying that Penn had the eyes of a "caged animal, a ****ing killer." Peters then demanded that the third act of the film include a fight between Superman and a giant spider, to be unveiled in an homage to King Kong. Peters later produced the 1999 steampunk western Wild Wild West, the finale of which features a giant mechanical spider.

Smith met Peters after completing a script and Peters instructed him to include a robot sidekick for Brainiac, a fight scene between Brainiac and two polar bears, and a marketable "space dog" pet, similar to Star Wars character Chewbacca. Smith inserted them into his script, but the project was abandoned and the script discarded.

In Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman, Jon Peters admitted that the Superman franchise was problematic for him: "The elements that I was focusing on were away from the heart, it was more leaning towards 'Star Wars' in a sense, you know. I didn't realize the human part of it, I didn't have that."

He subsequently served as producer for Superman Returns, the 2006 movie directed by Bryan Singer, and as an executive producer for Man of Steel, the 2013 movie directed by Zack Snyder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I would also wonder is the problem that the studio is trying to go a new direction ( like another poster has said with their upcoming films) and it's a case of Affleck finding it more and more difficult to create his version of Batman that fits in with this universe.

Whatever it is you would really have to question why WB wouldn't give Affleck almost creative freedom to do what he wants with his Batman films considering how successful Batman was the last time they trusted a talented director in Nolan and the seemingly positive reaction from people when they heard he was to make a solo batman film. I understand that Nolan didn't have to make his batman fit in a wider universe all the same.

So they do have to make sure whatever happens in an Affleck film doesn't hinder other directors and properties but I can't imagine that Affleck doesn't understand that already.

Worrying news anyway. The Ben Affleck Batman film was the one I was most looking forward to seeing so hopefully he gets his vision for the film made.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It crazy to think most if not everyone would be disappointed if Ben Affleck didn't get to direct Batman considering all the hate and I will include myself in that hate when it was announced that he would be Batman.

Ben Affleck is the best thing about the DCEU I never ever thought I would say that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Either Affleck is cushioning the blow of pulling out of directing the film or this is his line in the sand - he does it his way or not at all. He's easily a better director than Snyder and Ayer combined, is playing the second most recognisable superhero on the planet and was the standout (only?) positive part of the two movies he's featured in. And he's the biggest comics fan they've offered the big chair to so far. Not giving him his way would be stupid and could cause irreparable damage to their franchise. I honestly don't know what to root for...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm hoping it's just Affleck with his line in the sand - His way or the high way. But given Warner's fondness for meddling, they'd surely find some way to make a balls of the situation and shoot themselves in the foot again..

See the thing is, Affleck has them in check. He's basically just said "If I don't direct this movie, then the script isn't good enough." So they can let him do what he wants or they can admit that their lead actor has no faith in the movie. He still has to be in it, no question, but would they have any hope getting him to sign on for future movies after his contract ends? Nope. As it stands, that already looks bleak...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Either Affleck is cushioning the blow of pulling out of directing the film or this is his line in the sand - he does it his way or not at all. He's easily a better director than Snyder and Ayer combined, is playing the second most recognisable superhero on the planet and was the standout (only?) positive part of the two movies he's featured in. And he's the biggest comics fan they've offered the big chair to so far. Not giving him his way would be stupid and could cause irreparable damage to their franchise. I honestly don't know what to root for...

Who would you say is the most recognisable superhero is cause i would consider batman to be the one followed by superman and spiderman. i do think this is changing with the marvel movies being so successful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Superman & Batman are the 2 most instantly recognisable superheroes, characters who'd be well known even outside the comicbook circle. I daresay even my Dad could give me the broad summaries of both characters' backstories, and words like 'kryptonite' have contrived to enter the vernacular. DC have effectively squandered that cultural good will with their adolescent, tone deaf films.

I do agree about the Marvel comments though: their MCU has very aggressively forced what were arguably their 2nd tier roster into the public consciousness. Younger generations are probably bucking the above trend & could probably give you a better breakdown of, say, Captain America's storyscape than Bats or Supes' ATM.

I think I recall hearing polling data from a couple years ago that Superman was the most recognisable, followed by Batman so I'm going with that..! No doubt it's changing among the younger generations but I think it'll still be a fair few years before Iron Man becomes quite the household name that Superman is.

I think I recall hearing polling data from a couple years ago that Superman was the most recognisable, followed by Batman so I'm going with that..! No doubt it's changing among the younger generations but I think it'll still be a fair few years before Iron Man becomes quite the household name that Superman is.

I believe that the superman symbol is the second most recognisable symbol in the world behind the Christian cross.

Jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

797f728d9ca697d6f8681b3f7cc9591c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

techdiver wrote: »
    I believe that the superman symbol is the second most recognisable symbol in the world behind the Christian cross.

I'm surprised it's not the Batman symbol as opposed to Superman... also I thought McDonalds was the most recognized symbol in the world. CocaCola is up there too.

Regarding the superheros... I'd say you'd get arguments around the exact order but Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Hulk were traditionally the most recognizable heros (IMO)... no doubt in part due to how much TV presence they had back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. DC also had the movies that were an extra boost. Wonder Woman wouldn't be too far behind in 5th. DC also have the most recognizable villains... Luthor, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Zod... again I think a large part of that is down to the TV shows and movies enabling those characters to reach a wider audience.

It's changing now though... Wolverine has to be up there now with over a decade of movies centered around him. Iron Man too.

As mentioned above, DC really squandered their position. The hard work was done for them over the course of 40/50 years of ingraining their characters into pop-culture. Maybe it was because Marvel HAD to do the ground work and build slowly that they were so successful. You can even say that the legal issues they faced (and still face) with properties such as FF, Spiderman and X-Men actually helped them grow organically. DC had no such obstacles and basically blew their load... three times. They have shown no restraint or care for their characters and it clear as day in the DCMU movies to date.

• Advertisement

They also haven't had anyone until this point at the top who actually cared about the characters, who would say "this isn't Batman" etc. Marvel are blessed to have someone like Feige who's a comic nerd in love with the characters, to keep things in check and make sure that the characters act like they're supposed to, as much as possible...

They also haven't had anyone until this point at the top who actually cared about the characters, who would say "this isn't Batman" etc. Marvel are blessed to have someone like Feige who's a comic nerd in love with the characters, to keep things in check and make sure that the characters act like they're supposed to, as much as possible...

I would have thought/hoped the appointment of Geoff Johns was a Warner version of Feige,but alas, it still seems like the lunatics are running the asylum.

What has to be realised is that Hollywood is packed to the rafters with complete morons who only produce decent material when a strong director like Spielberg and Nolan get enough credit in the bank to have full creative control.

Shows like Episodes might be tongue in cheek but I imagine that they are not too far from the truth.

Check our Jon Schnepp's documentary "The Death of Superman Lives". It's an eye opener.

I'm not a huge fan of Geoff Johns, though he has some rare gems imo. That being said, I think he'll absolutely do his best and get the best results he can. But he's not gonna be in the position Feige is in without taking in a load of cash first. If they're gonna have anyone it'll be him but it may be too late at this stage...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not a huge fan of Geoff Johns, though he has some rare gems imo. That being said, I think he'll absolutely do his best and get the best results he can. But he's not gonna be in the position Feige is in without taking in a load of cash first. If they're gonna have anyone it'll be him but it may be too late at this stage...

Been reading this thread for a while now. If you could communicate to DC/Warner how you'd want them to behave, how would you do so? I'm no film expert, so there's probably tonnes wrong in what I'm about to say but...

Beloved characters become beloved characters for a reason. Find that reason, don't change it, change what's around it to suit the cinema. Superman can be in a dark film, for example, but he is not dark. Maybe trust your nerd you seem to be choosing to ignore. Perlmutter got Marvel to the dance, Feige is the one keeping them there.

Make sure the script is good, make sure the director is matched to the property (doesn't mean he has to be a fan boy. People paid attention when Brannagh did Thor because... it just matches. Even if the end product was meh). You've been ok so far but not where you want to be and everyone knows it. How about trying to ensure your heavily analysed, expensive product has some quality to it? Would that not swing the risk pendulum in your favour as well as please some of the critics out there?

Too late now but I also would have added take plenty of time to rehab Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman. Marvel took years and MADE money on a marketing campaign making people care about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. I know it's hard to remember now but the wider public neither knew nor cared about the Avengers before 2005 (possibly excepting Hulk).

Team up/ heavy continuity films are fun. Please use the word fun as a guideline. Grim is more for solo stuff, where you're not looking forward to the banter between your favourite characters.

You're right Doom in that there's success in simplicity. Trust what makes these characters great and you won't go too far wrong.

The funny thing is that it doesn't even take massive research into what makes a character great to find a winning formula. You mentioned Brannagh's Thor, which I very much enjoyed, but it actually shared a lot of its story with a comic series released not long before it: Ages of Thunder.

It just takes one good story to find the right characterisation on screen. Snyder thought he had done that with The Dark Knight Returns but he just ended up taking that story, and a straight forward characterisation, and applied his own bizarre take to it.

Nolan always got grief for being loose in his interpretation of Bruce especially in TDKR, yet he stayed more true to Miller's interpretation of Bruce than Snyder did. He captured the kamikaze like state of mind; the hopeless dismay at what Gotham had become without adapting a murderous mentality; the dark joy at being back in the game without becoming too sadistic.

Perhaps, and I'm giving Snyder the benefit of the doubt here, he realised all of that and thought he had too push the envelope further in his loose presentation of a story he always desperately wanted to tell.

They made a mistake from the beginning in that they wanted to get away from Nolan's trilogy yet still become more fantastical. Superman by his very nature is fantastical yet in the first hour of MOS, there are scenes from it that could be put side by side with some scenes from Batman Begins and they're identical.

The universe has simply been befuddled since the beginning...but they still have the rope to fix it. The money made has helped immensely there. They can start with the evolution of Superman in JL.....hopefully they won't have him inevitably brainwashed for too long.

I agree with you both. Have to say, Branagh's Thor is an MCU highlight for me. We can get into that elsewhere though...!

As for what I'd say to DC heads... there's probably a lot. Here's some cliffs...

Stop giving huge films to lousy directors. Snyder and Ayer are awful and always will be.

Let Bartlet be Bartlet! By which I mean... let the characters be themselves. Superman isn't dark. Nor is he a murderer. Nor would his father tell him to let people die to keep his identity safe. Batman is a lot of things. But not a murderer. Never a murderer.

The tone of the film needs to match the character, not the other way around. The theme of a Superman film has to be hopeful. You could build the whole movie around a central theme of hope. That's who he is, what he inspires and what it should be.

Batman needs to be a detective again. It's great that he's a great fighter. But I'd really like him to be shown as the worlds greatest detective again.

Focus! There's too much disparity in the universe with no central narrative direction. Suddenly there's plans for a Suicide Squad sequel, Deadshot spin-off and Gotham City Sirens movie, as well as Justice League Dark? That's the kind of thing you do when everything is going really well and you've got the brand recognition and following to pursue. Focus on making the core JLA characters great and then start with the spin-offs.

Stop announcing new films! Give us some good quality instalments first. Then we may get excited when you announce baffling new ones.

Adjust the colour palette. No more washed out tones, sepia costumes etc. BOLD, bright colours. Stop over-designing the costumes. The Flash looks ridiculous.

A trident has 3 prongs, not 5. Its in the damn name!

Stop making Lois Lane a dope and stop putting her in bathtubs.

And finally, if you don't find a way to bring Clark Kent back from the dead along with Superman, you've lost it all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no issue with the DCEU films being darker in tone than the Marvel films. But degree matters, and with MoS and BvS (especially BvS), they went waayyyyy too dark too quickly with characters who weren't developed enough to warrant it. You have to balance out the dark with a bit of light. My first time seeing BvS in the cinema, when Lex is talking about Superman versus Batman being Day versus Night, it really stuck out that Superman wasn't Day. There wasn't nearly enough contrast between him and Batman. It was Dusk versus Pitch-Black-New-Moon-Night.

Be darker than the MCU films. Go for it. But give us a bit of f*cking light to actually like and sympathise with the characters first. Give us a reason to care about the characters before you cause them pain/anguish.

I think fundamentally those in charge of DC films need to relax and show a little faith in their own properties. I dunno how rampant the insecurity is in DC, but it feels like they're all paralysed by a fear of both marvel and their own TV shows' tone. The quality may vary but there's no disguising just how overtly comic book those shows are & they're just so ... sunny. Not necessarily in outlook or plot, but there's a cocksure, bluesky confidence that CW can tell these tales of telepathic gorillas, immortals and heroes in tennis skirts, and that the audience will accept it all for what it is. Of course, that in turn only works if the groundwork is solid in the first place. Barry Allen is still a decent, honest kid behind them all the temporal f*ck ups and angst, while is support network, although sketchily drawn, are all still fundamentally human, emotional beings. That goes a long way in grounding events when they take a turn for the silly if the people reacting feel genuine.

DC movies can't claim any of the above & just seem aggressively predisposed to rejecting that approach, to the point where it feels like those in charge are all faintly embarrassed by it all. Rebooting Jimmy Olsen as a blackops CIA agent, who gets violently killed after 5 minutes, to me, was one of the more egregious examples, screaming of a department that neither cares or respects the material they're working with, instead feeling the need to subvert a solid human character with an 'edgy' twist that has earned nothing from the audience, or justified his own rebooting. Remember Superman's good pal Jimmy? Well now he's an awful human being! How ADULT!!! :rolleyes:

Then I read stories about the apparent 'no jokes' policy the head honchos are demanding, or the scuttlebutt from Brett Easton Ellis of all people, who claimed some DC execs confided in him that they don't care how poor the Batman script is, that they'll make megabucks in the box office regardless (though Ellis has supposedly downplayed the truth of his own story).

I think the problem is hidden in a way within your post. To me, there isn't a DC equivalent of Marvel Studios. DC Movies doesn't exist. There's DC Comics that once appeared as a logo at the start of their movies, now it's "DC Entertainment"......a fluff department which WB are pulling the strings of.

I mean Geoff Johns is nothing but a name that WB are using to get themselves some legitimacy among fans but make no mistake about it; John's doesn't have the power Kevin Feige does. No where near it. I've a feeling Affleck is starting to realise that.

The bucket stops with WB unfortunately. It speaks volumes that I can't even think of one legitimate name out of DC who seems to be an influential figure. It's just a sea of WB suits that are dictating things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It just takes one good story to find the right characterisation on screen. Snyder thought he had done that with The Dark Knight Returns but he just ended up taking that story, and a straight forward characterisation, and applied his own bizarre take to it.

Nolan always got grief for being loose in his interpretation of Bruce especially in TDKR, yet he stayed more true to Miller's interpretation of Bruce than Snyder did. He captured the kamikaze like state of mind; the hopeless dismay at what Gotham had become without adapting a murderous mentality; the dark joy at being back in the game without becoming too sadistic.

Perhaps, and I'm giving Snyder the benefit of the doubt here, he realised all of that and thought he had too push the envelope further in his loose presentation of a story he always desperately wanted to tell.

They made a mistake from the beginning in that they wanted to get away from Nolan's trilogy yet still become more fantastical. Superman by his very nature is fantastical yet in the first hour of MOS, there are scenes from it that could be put side by side with some scenes from Batman Begins and they're identical.

Think you're bang on there. It's always felt to me like Nolan wanted to get into what drives Batman, the character, whereas Snyder was happy plucking cool images of what Batman is and does, as a symbol. If you get me.

And finally, if you don't find a way to bring Clark Kent back from the dead along with Superman, you've lost it all anyway.

Agree with everything, but this will be particularly telling.

As the old saying goes, Superman is the mask, not Clark Kent. Unless you're telling a story about him losing himself deliberately, not having Clark about is a sign you don't get Superman at all.
    Penn wrote: »
    I have no issue with the DCEU films being darker in tone than the Marvel films. But degree matters, and with MoS and BvS (especially BvS), they went waayyyyy too dark too quickly with characters who weren't developed enough to warrant it. You have to balance out the dark with a bit of light. My first time seeing BvS in the cinema, when Lex is talking about Superman versus Batman being Day versus Night, it really stuck out that Superman wasn't Day. There wasn't nearly enough contrast between him and Batman. It was Dusk versus Pitch-Black-New-Moon-Night.

Be darker than the MCU films. Go for it. But give us a bit of f*cking light to actually like and sympathise with the characters first. Give us a reason to care about the characters before you cause them pain/anguish.

God, yes. I think if every DC film were sweetness and light we'd get very bored of the new world. Lest we forget, gritty reboots are what brought a lot of the superhero films to the screen at all- "yellow spandex".

Making something gritty for the sake of it though is pretty boring, and senseless, and yes we have to like the character before we'll feel for them.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I think fundamentally those in charge of DC films need to relax and show a little faith in their own properties. I dunno how rampant the insecurity is in DC, but it feels like they're all paralysed by a fear of both marvel and their own TV shows' tone. The quality may vary but there's no disguising just how overtly comic book those shows are & they're just so ... sunny. Not necessarily in outlook or plot, but there's a cocksure, bluesky confidence that CW can tell these tales of telepathic gorillas, immortals and heroes in tennis skirts, and that the audience will accept it all for what it is. Of course, that in turn only works if the groundwork is solid in the first place. Barry Allen is still a decent, honest kid behind them all the temporal f*ck ups and angst, while is support network, although sketchily drawn, are all still fundamentally human, emotional beings. That goes a long way in grounding events when they take a turn for the silly if the people reacting feel genuine.

DC movies can't claim any of the above & just seem aggressively predisposed to rejecting that approach, to the point where it feels like those in charge are all faintly embarrassed by it all. Rebooting Jimmy Olsen as a blackops CIA agent, who gets violently killed after 5 minutes, to me, was one of the more egregious examples, screaming of a department that neither cares or respects the material they're working with, instead feeling the need to subvert a solid human character with an 'edgy' twist that has earned nothing from the audience, or justified his own rebooting. Remember Superman's good pal Jimmy? Well now he's an awful human being! How ADULT!!! :rolleyes:

Then I read stories about the apparent 'no jokes' policy the head honchos are demanding, or the scuttlebutt from Brett Easton Ellis of all people, who claimed some DC execs confided in him that they don't care how poor the Batman is, that they'll make megabucks in the box office regardless (though Ellis has supposedly downplayed the truth of his own story).

Very much so. Everyone but Marvel is like that. Sony kept taking Spider-Man's mask off, when people wanted Spidey to just be Spidey. There's a book that could be written on how little Fox trust the X-Men (really, it took how long to put Psylocke in? She has a massive army of fanboys... but you know if she was in earlier she wouldn't have been psi blading people or possibly even have purple hair... "yellow spandex" :D).

Why would a company want to be like Sony, not Marvel?
    I think the problem is hidden in a way within your post. To me, there isn't a DC equivalent of Marvel Studios. DC Movies doesn't exist. There's DC Comics that once appeared as a logo at the start of their movies, now it's "DC Entertainment"......a fluff department which WB are pulling the strings of.

I mean Geoff Johns is nothing but a name that WB are using to get themselves some legitimacy among fans but make no mistake about it; John's doesn't have the power Kevin Feige does. No where near it. I've a feeling Affleck is starting to realise that.

The bucket stops with WB unfortunately. It speaks volumes that I can't even think of one legitimate name out of DC who seems to be an influential figure. It's just a sea of WB suits that are dictating things.

Yup, that makes sense.

Advertisement