Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory v Tiger - stats?

• 26-02-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭

As a casual golf watcher, I got to thinking about these 2 today, and their stats after hearing on the radio that Rory missed the cut again.

Now we all know that Rory has been hailed for a few years as the natural successor to Tigers crown. Of course some new folk have entered that realm over the last couple of years.

As a casual observer, Rory seems to blow either incredibly hot or incredibly cold. I always think that Tigers success came from his consistency. He was always at the top of his game. I wonder how someone who apparently has the natural ability of McIlroy can be so poor one week, then great the next?

So I was wondering, are there any stats for the likes of Tiger v Rory that show their consistency? Did Tiger miss many cuts when he was at his height? Perhaps he did and I just don't remember them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a casual golf watcher, I got to thinking about these 2 today, and their stats after hearing on the radio that Rory missed the cut again.

Now we all know that Rory has been hailed for a few years as the natural successor to Tigers crown. Of course some new folk have entered that realm over the last couple of years.

As a casual observer, Rory seems to blow either incredibly hot or incredibly cold. I always think that Tigers success came from his consistency. He was always at the top of his game. I wonder how someone who apparently has the natural ability of McIlroy can be so poor one week, then great the next?

So I was wondering, are there any stats for the likes of Tiger v Rory that show their consistency? Did Tiger miss many cuts when he was at his height? Perhaps he did and I just don't remember them?

Tiger rarely 3 putted. Missed very few cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there any stats out there for pro golfers, telling you how many cuts they missed in their careers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rory's admission last year that he's not obsessed with golf sums it up really, you need to be if you're going to break the all-time records.

Most cuts made on the Euro tour is here -

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=176344.html#IcZJZmYr4IDoIWxk.97

and you can compare it with number of events played -

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=176338.html#dfzbBVc66uHMXPtZ.97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

The biggest difference I think is Rory can't hustle like Tiger.
    Or others like Harrington and Seve they had to hustle from a young age having older brothers to contend with growing up. Even when Paddy misses a putt you don't see the head drop for too long he gets on with it. When Rory miss a couple of putts his head drops and confidence is gone on the greens usually.
    Watched the Seve movie last night twas good.

The biggest difference I think is Rory can't hustle like Tiger.
    Or others like Harrington and Seve they had to hustle from a young age having older brothers to contend with growing up. Even when Paddy misses a putt you don't see the head drop for too long he gets on with it. When Rory miss a couple of putts his head drops and confidence is gone on the greens usually.
    Watched the Seve movie last night twas good.

Must check it out, he was one of sports biggest icons when I was growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Rory is a fantastic golfer and so are a few others. Rory has possibly the purest swing we may ever see. But there is no one out there at the moment threatening to be the new Tiger.

And he has so many numbers to prove that. As we were talking cuts... In that link it shows Woods has the all time record of 142 consecutive cuts, he didn't miss a cut in 5 years between 98 and 03.
    He's not been the same for a number of years, but really not being at the races at all, that started about a year or so ago with his back surgeries. Until then he had only missed a dozen cuts or so in his entire career.

142 consecutive cuts, that is amazingly consistent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Difference between Tiger and Rory was Tiger's irons were in a different league, without the stat to back it up Tiger put the ball nearer the hole with his iron play, simple as that, still beggars belief when I see Rory miss a green with a wedge in his hand, Tiger would never to that

For 7 years to 2005 tiger woods made 142 cuts in a row.

Before 2014 he missed 9 cuts in almost 300 events.

TW WIN rate was basically he won 1 in every 3 events he entered.

1540 putts from 3 ft or closer 2002-2005 missed 3 of them.

There won't be another tiger woods in our lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

You can't compare Rory or anyone else to Tiger. Even Phil recently came out and said no one comes close to tiger.

682: The total number of weeks Woods has spent at No. 1 in the Official World Golf Ranking. That's 352 weeks (or nearly seven YEARS) more than No. 2 Greg Norman

3: Times Tiger has had at least a five-tournament winning streak. No one else has done it in the past 60 years. Woods also has three of the five longest streaks, including a personal best streak of seven in 2006-2007.

5 Times Tiger has won a major championship with a score of 18 under par or better. It's only happened eight times total.

18: No, it's not Woods' major total, but it is the number of World Golf Championships he's won. Geoff Ogilvy is second on the list with three WGC titles.

142: Tiger's record number of consecutive cuts made from 1998 to 2005.

8: Number of times Tiger has won on a single course (Torrey Pines), a record. Oh, right, he's done it on two other courses (Bay Hill and Firestone) as well.

1: Number of times Woods lost a playoff (1998 Nissan Open to Billy Mayfair) on either the PGA Tour or European Tour. He's won 16 playoffs in his career, including three at major championships (2000 PGA, 2005 Masters, 2008 U.S. Open).

Woods has missed 15 cuts on the PGA Tour as a professional. Spieth has missed 13. Spieth was three years old when Tiger turned pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Not that it effects the stats at all but Mcilroy (and the rest of the current crop) seem to play more tournaments each year than Woods would have during his heyday. Woods seemed to take months off at a time, only play big tournaments and everything was just prep for the Masters.
    I know the wrap around season helps, but players schedules much be busier now than 10+ years go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

So hard to compare eras though, even if it's good fun ! It's like asking was the Milan team of the late 80s & early 90s better than the current Barcelona team (as it happens, yes, by a long way :-) !! )

I don't think tigers stats & record will ever be touched, or even gotten close to, but I'd rather watch Rory play any day of the week. Purely imo I think Rory at his best beats Tiger at his best, but Tiger just below his best beats Rory just below his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Russman wrote: »
    So hard to compare eras though, even if it's good fun ! It's like asking was the Milan team of the late 80s & early 90s better than the current Barcelona team (as it happens, yes, by a long way :-) !! )

I don't think tigers stats & record will ever be touched, or even gotten close to, but I'd rather watch Rory play any day of the week. Purely imo I think Rory at his best beats Tiger at his best, but Tiger just below his best beats Rory just below his best.

Use to watch golf religiously.....every sat/sun night. Now I'd watch the majors, only a few more. Honestly cannot fathom how anyone would prefer to watch Rory than Tiger.

Maybe in 30 yrs time there will be some player to come close to him. But the players of today? No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

7 years, 142 cuts is absolutely insane. Very likely a record that will never be broken, though having said that I thought the same when Michael Johnson ran 19.32 in Atlanta at the 1996 Olympics! :pac:

Aye, but there's no drugs in golf, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Aderol

PEDs have been around so long they probably have no net effect on the frequency of world records being broken at this point but I digress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

yipsnomore wrote: »
    For 7 years to 2005 tiger woods made 142 cuts in a row.

Before 2014 he missed 9 cuts in almost 300 events.

TW WIN rate was basically he won 1 in every 3 events he entered.

1540 putts from 3 ft or closer 2002-2005 missed 3 of them.

There won't be another tiger woods in our lifetime.

As impressive as 142 consecutive cuts is, a stat that will never likely be beaten, 1537/1540 putts from 3ft or closer is just incredible. Really can't get my head around that one despite him being the best ever player with a putter in hand.
    Anyone who has ever tried the drill of getting 25/25 from 3ft will realise how deceivingly difficult that is never mind over 60 times that amount on super slick and tough PGA standard greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

As impressive as 142 consecutive cuts is, a stat that will never likely be beaten, 1537/1540 putts from 3ft or closer is just incredible. Really can't get my head around that one despite him being the best ever player with a putter in hand.
    Anyone who has ever tried the drill of getting 25/25 from 3ft will realise how deceivingly difficult that is never mind over 60 times that amount on super slick and tough PGA standard greens.

I remember hearing this stat before and being amazed as you are and don't get me wrong it is amazing but it actually does need to be qualified a little.

The stat is "putts from 3ft or closer" not "putts from 3ft". So he didn't actually make 1537/1540 in the same way we'd be struggling to finish the 25/25 drill or whatever.

Probably 95% of those putts were from shorter than 3ft and the majority would have been just simple tap ins from inside a foot or so.

But having said that it still shows amazing consistency and he obviously did make an amazing percentage of short putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Russman wrote: »

Both of these opinions are crazy...in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

Speaking of stats, this is an interesting read...

golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

I think Rorys performance yesterday shows that he will never be up to Tigers standards.

I think Rorys performance yesterday shows that he will never be up to Tigers standards.

In fairness you'll be waiting a long long time for anyone to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

zuutroy wrote: »

The big problem with this one is the stats have only been tracked since 1983. Tiger's outlying number in this statistical category, while incredibly impressive, might not look as amazing if he could be compared to Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan, Player, Palmer, Watson etc. instead of O'Meara, Cink, Jacobsen and Donald.

Advertisement