Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show - 26th. February 2016

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

amdublin wrote: »
    I like this couple.

I'm strongly pro choice and pro abortion.

But I respect their strength and the choice they made.

Which was the right choice for them. As evidenced by what they're saying. Good for them.

It's refreshing to see the other side of it really. Must have been so difficult.

My sister had a full term (almost 42 weeks) stillbirth just over a year ago, she found out ~7 days past her due date that during the night he had died. She found out on a Saturday and was due to be induced the following Tuesday. It broke her heart that she never got to feel his breath or see his eyes. I have so much pride and admiration for my sister and her husband and this couple, it takes a strong bond to get through something like this, let me tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Lovely couple. Best wishes to them for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's ok to trivialise this couple's loss then with such comments ? Really touching response there Atlantic Dawn !

Apologies at that stage in the story it wasn't clear they went full term, I thought the way it was presented they went Liverpool for the abortion and were worried about people judging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

amdublin wrote: »
    I like this couple.

I'm strongly pro choice and pro abortion.

But I respect their strength and the choice they made.

Which was the right choice for them. As evidenced by what they're saying. Good for them.

I do too. And I thought Ryan was strong too. He didn't say something profoundly empty like "very sad, very sad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That was a really short segment, a shame that pat rabbitte got a longer time. They deserved a longer interview than what they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Nos da, folks! :)

2-5-852x1024.jpg

Canadel wrote: »
    These two guests sound very self involved being honest.

...what?? You have no idea what they've been through, they are incredibly strong people and I think they're wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is a very refreshing story. Humanists bringing their baby with a fatal foetal abnormality to full term. The likes of Ivana Bacik and Clare Daly must be in convulsions at the moment.

It's a very refreshing story. It's emotional, sad and brave.

Could you not just leave it at that and not bring your petty political agenda in to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Would have been so cool being in Noo Yoik in the late 70's - Blondie, Ramones, Suicide, CBGB's, Max's Kansas City, Lou Reed, Warhol, The Cramps... :cool:

can but dream.... :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is a very refreshing story. Humanists bringing their baby with a fatal foetal abnormality to full term. The likes of Ivana Bacik and Clare Daly must be in convulsions at the moment.

I don't know Harry. I don't think anyone who pro choice or pro abortion (me being one) wants everyone having abortions.

For those who want to carry their baby to full term they have that choice to so.
    For those who don't, and want to have an abortion, they do not have the choice to do that in their own country and get into their own bed after the procedure/surgery instead they must get on a plane and come home on a plane still suffering the physical effects of the procedure. Forgetting even worse the emotional side of things, feeling like a criminal doing it outside of their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

aine92 wrote: »
    ...what?? You have no idea what they've been through, they are incredibly strong people and I think they're wonderful.
    They seem obsessed with the effect it had on them. Just not a very interesting story. Quite sad for many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's a very refreshing story. It's emotional, sad and brave.

Could you not just leave it at that and not bring your petty political agenda in to it?

No political agenda from me. It's not often that we get to hear stories like this. It's usually the other side that tend to occupy most of the media space.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Why didn't they spare themselves and especially the baby the pain and suffering and just had an abortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

some people love to get likes on this thread by moaning when an interesting serious topic comes on. Its like they get off moaning about it. Secretly they wait to pounce on such a topic with a "graham Norton wouldn't...." or misery slot" comment.

Get a grip. LLS has and always will, for decades had serious topics and inmmy opinion it is far the better for it. Its refreshing it has kept to its roots and not followed every other chat show in trying to be comedic. Just because some guests are famous for singing or acting doesnt make them entertaining or interesting guests.

That was a great topic and heartwarming.

sorry for the rant!!

MOD

Appreciate it's an emotive subject, please no sniping at each other, report a post if you have an issue with it and let a mod deal with it.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

No political agenda from me. It's not often that we get to hear stories like this. It's usually the other side that tend to occupy most of the media space.
    But there are no sides to this story. Ryan and the guests themselves made that explicitly clear. They made a choice. You are the only person choosing to make it an argument with sides.

They seem obsessed with the effect it had on them. Just not a very interesting story. Quite sad for many reasons.

Oh my god can you please just stop for a second and think about what you are saying? Read my post a few back, my sister had a full term stillbirth just over a year ago, and you have NO IDEA the effect it has on you. No idea.

[mod snip]

You get a VERY vocal element on either side. I'd be of the pro-choice stance but find the vocal element of that side are really only pro-choice as long as you agree with them, there's a certain irony in that and honesty in the pro-life side as a result.

Why didn't they spare themselves and especially the baby the pain and suffering and just had an abortion?

oh Joseph......... you didn't quite get the message of the interview.

You what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Because they would still have lost a child that way. Every pregnancy that ends means a loss. If that had terminated shortly after the scan they still would have grieved their lost child.

I fully agree with how they handled the terrible situation they were in.

Mod:
    Josephryan1989 The interview/the couple explained their reasons for this.

Don't post again on this topic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

ok. Movie time. I have no movie picked out this week. Anyone have any recommendations? Just throw it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think not. Nice try.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    ok. Movie time. I have no movie picked out this week. Anyone have any recommendations? Just throw it out there.

Based on the last topic here best avoid the survivalist was not an easy watch

Oh my god can you please just stop for a second and think about what you are saying? Read my post a few back, my sister had a full term stillbirth just over a year ago, and you have NO IDEA the effect it has on you. No idea.

You're really not a very nice person, and I hope you never have to go through anything of this magnitude with the level of empathy you seem to lack.
    I don't see what any of that has to do with me finding the two guests very self involved. What they did is quite interesting I suppose. But we don't all have to find these stories inspiring. It doesn't mean I'm not a nice person or that I lack empathy.

who is this weather woman!!! she is terrible! Its like a full stop after every word ������

But there are no sides to this story. Ryan and the guests themselves made that explicitly clear. They made a choice. You are the only person choosing to make it an argument with sides.

Really??

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I think not. Nice try.

You can believe what you like.

Mod:

Some advice from your mod on what is an emotive topic. It may be best to take a deep breath before hitting reply and considering if you want to engage with a poster.

A reminder about following charter rules.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Think before you type, there's a difference between being indifferent and being insensitive.

Goodnight, good luck, wont be engaging any further.
    This is a discussion board, not notes on a card to be sent to their address. I don't think I was overly insensitive either. I respect their right to do what they did, I just think the reasons for doing it and the subsequent late late show appearance are a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Based on the last topic here best avoid the survivalist was not an easy watch

Just watched the trailer...interesting....but maybe not for tonight. Anyway I'll say night all. Election results will be interesting tomorrow. :)

My eyes. I can't believe the post I've read. When I think of all my family members of different generations who have gone through such terrible experiences I'm simply aghast. I'm not a reporter of posts, but relieved at least when I tried to report that it was gone. Forget that guy anyhow.
    Thank God we've got Mods who are keepers of taste.

In short what we were expecting to be the so-called misery slot was an uplifting tale. If missed by some. I don't think their minutes count been superseded by a retired TD or a famous actor is particularly significant, more so that the topic was dealt with well. A job well done by all involved.

And on that bombshell, a very good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Shell and Vin are close family of mine and 5 minutes in their company will give you the inspiration to fight through anything that life throws at you. I can only wish I have a fraction of their strength and courage through my battles in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

idnkph wrote: »
    Shell and Vin are close family of mine and 5 minutes in their company will give you the inspiration to fight through anything that life throws at you. I can only wish I have a fraction of their strength and courage through my battles in life.

Best of luck to them, I totally admire how thr handled the sad loss of Jamie.
    They are truly inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Good night all

idnkph wrote: »

Horrible and hard is it may be I think regardless of what "side" you stand on this country needs to hear more stories like theirs :(

Breaking news...

The Oscar 2016 organisers have taken their cues from last night's LLS, and have something special lined up.

When (If?) Leo collects his Best Actor Oscar, two women in the audience will start singing 'My Heart Will Go On', before the rest of the audience stand up and sway at the key change.

Followed by a shot of Richard Gere leaving the theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Anything worth watching on the show last nite? I was out so I missed it.

• Advertisement

Watch it just for the opening musical number.

It was...different. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Watch it just for the opening musical number.

It was...different. :D

Oh dear, he didnt do a reprise of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang did he? :eek:

Oh dear, he didnt do a reprise of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang did he? :eek:

:D

No, but there was a lot of people 'dancing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

You missed a Rabbitte being shot down, preferably out of a cannon :D

The ironic thing was he was Min for Communications & my conn dropped afterwards, ah i thought i'm not gonna bother with it :(

1st person i see when i turn on tv is yer wan Moan Burton, I quickly turn over to Jonathan Ross & see yer man Reservoir Dogs - Eli Roth on & think quite apt considering she was last one standing in Labour ;)

But guess who's on next wk on JR, none other than Richard "I'm outta Gere, another karaoke:eek:;)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Skid X wrote: »
    Richard looks like former Prime minister of Japan Junichirō Koizumi

220px-Koizumi_2010_cropped.png

Ah feck, Apparently other people noticed the resemblence too. I wish I had posted this on Friday night instead ...

It's funny how you never see the former Prime Minister of Japan Junichirō Koizumi and Richard Gere in the same place - oh, hang on ...

awww.jpg

http://americaninjapan.blogspot.ie/2005/03/richard-gere-and-japanese-prime.html
    Richard Gere came to Japan to promote his latest movie. This was the Koizumi's first photo op with an American celebrity. As soon as Gere walked into the interview, the Prime Minister (PM) immediately asked Gere if he would mind waltzing.

The article also said that the PM has been told he looks like Gere so now both are smitten. Gere called the dance and the PM, "Charming, spontaneous and a wonderful person," to which the PM responded with compliments towards Gere, "An interesting and marvelous person." Awww.

Advertisement