Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

struck off register?

• 26-02-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I voted in the referendum last year and in the last few elections, tonight I went to vote and my name wasnt on the usual list at the polling station and I couldnt vote.

I checked the register when I got home and my name wasnt on there either.

Really disappointed, any ideas of why my name would drop off the register?

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Thats a pain, you can ask your local representive if they get back in, happend me years back,local busybodys from the soldiers of destiny got me struck off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Hi all, I voted in the referendum last year and in the last few elections, tonight I went to vote and my name wasnt on the usual list at the polling station and I couldnt vote.

I checked the register when I got home and my name wasnt on there either.

Really disappointed, any ideas of why my name would drop off the register?

They did this to me a couple of years ago. I think campaigners can do it via the council register if you've been vociferous in your public antipathy towards them. Their spiel is that you need to check that you're on the register. I think they do it when they feel like it e.g. I knocked on No. 34 Willow Street and nobody answered, can you remove whoever was there from the register. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I was struck of register here in Cork, I had to register for the same sex referendum last year and I expected to be register for this election but on arriving this morning I was told I was not on the list and given a number to call to investigate, there was no answer from this number and I called 9 times.

What are the reasons for this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-west-residents-say-homes-removed-from-electoral-register-1.2550083

Possibly due to the redrawing of the counstituencies the register was updated or people were removed.

Possibly due to the redrawing of the counstituencies the register was updated or people were removed.

no redrawing of constituencies has gone on between the referendum and today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yup used to happen in our area when i was growing up. Seemingly anyone can go in and report someone as being 'not there anymore'.
    There was a certain political party (mentioned earlier) that used to keep tabs on everyone in the area (Spot the guy with a clipboard during the door to door canvassing !). Any house suspected of being an 'opposing sympathiser' was duly noted and soft targets were written in to be struck off (usually young adults who were 'gone to college').
    Myself and siblings were struck off a few times ... but my dad kept tabs and got us to put ourselves back on:p

I can appreciate that it is one failsafe mechanism to avoid the dead grandad or uncle from getting a poling card. Also I suppose it was to avoid the same person getting two poling cards in different constituencies (youngfella gone to college etc).

I think the system is centralised now! Like if you did register in 2 constituencies and used 2 poling cards would you be caught for election fraud?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

no redrawing of constituencies has gone on between the referendum and today.

The article states this as Fingal's reason. The boundaries were changed. Then there was a review. Review took place some time between boundary change and today.

The article states this as Fingal's reason. The boundaries were changed. Then there was a review. Review took place some time between boundary change and today.

There was no boundary change in my case.

There was no boundary change in my case.

Well its worth getting on to them on monday to find out what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Is it possible to find out who the busybody is? Using FOI maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'm a bit shocked reading this thread. A third-party, a stranger can have you removed from the register on his\her say-so?
    I need to contact my local franchise office so I will be asking for clarification.

On a general point, the process for removing out-of-date entries and keeping the register up-to-date seems a bit haphazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

milehip wrote: »
    Thats a pain, you can ask your local representive if they get back in, happend me years back,local busybodys from the soldiers of destiny got me struck off.
    Wouldn't he be better off contacting the Franchise Office, the people who will know why he was removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I'm a bit shocked reading this thread. A third-party, a stranger can have you removed from the register on his\her say-so?
    I need to contact my local franchise office so I will be asking for clarification.

On a general point, the process for removing out-of-date entries and keeping the register up-to-date seems a bit haphazard.

I was very shocked too, no one should be taken off the register without their consent, with the exception of death.

This seems very undemocratic to me, I had no vote this weekend.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I was very shocked too, no one should be taken off the register without their consent, with the exception of death.

This seems very undemocratic to me, I had no vote this weekend.

Last year my wife got a letter to say they were knocking her off at her parents address, she replied and was left on the register. A few months later she got another letter saying was was being removed again, she didnt get around to replying and lost her vote.
    It seems to me somebody went to a lot of bother to disenfranchise her.

Where would I find the franchise office in my area(Cork) or even a phone number? I would like to find out the reason why and who had me removed after I had just registered for the same sex referendum last year

I finally got through to the franchise and it turns out that my details were entered incorrectly, my first name was entered as my surname and surname as my first name. I didn't receive a polling card and when I went to the polling station we were all looking for the surname on all the lists. I have it sorted now though, and by the looks of it I may get to vote sooner than I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

In Cork City Council you'll find it on their website under the Corporate and External Affairs section

Advertisement