Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If FF are sincere and true reform of the Dail were sought and accomplished whereby we would have rule by parliament rather than rule by government this could be a good thing.

Sincerety and FF parted company in 1997:D. It'll take them more than a few weeks to find out what it is again:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Imma stop you right there.
    Sincerety and FF parted company in 1997:D. It'll take them more than a few weeks to find out what it is again:D

It will be obvious by their actions if they aren't. We'll have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Looks like SF's last chance at hitting 23 TD's appear to be in Dublin Bay North where they're in third position behind Haughey (ugh!) Averil Power is likely soon for elimination who's transfers will possibly help push Haughey over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Looks like SF's last chance at hitting 23 TD's appear to be in Dublin Bay North where they're in third position behind Haughey (ugh!) Averil Power is likely soon for elimination who's transfers will possibly help push Haughey over the line.

Power is 67 behind Broughan according to people in the RDS. Most likely, she will call for a recount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Recount in Wexford according to the Wexford People.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Power is 67 behind Broughan according to people in the RDS. Most likely, she will call for a recount.

It'll probably not make any difference overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

She is miles behind Broughan

count.jpg

It'll probably not make any difference overall.

Power is Dublin North East, Broughan could transfer well to her if eliminated. Its between McGrath, Broughan and Power for that last seat seemingly. Don't have the exact figures to see the swing required to catch McGrath.

Looks like FG's Reynolds is preparing to concede defeat to FF in Sligo-Leitrim, wrapping up the count there.

She is miles behind Broughan

count.jpg

O'Callaghans transfers are not accounted for in that. Im basing it off what Haugheys people are telling me (I did his tally yesterday as a favor for someone).

• Advertisement

Power is Dublin North East, Broughan could transfer well to her if eliminated. Its between McGrath, Broughan and Power for that last seat seemingly. Don't have the exact figures to see the swing required to catch McGrath.

Broughan is ahead of Power. She'd be first to go.

Broughan is ahead of Power. She'd be first to go.

Naturally. However, if she calls for a recount. 67 isn't a crazy number to make up. If so, she will transfer well to Broughan and Haughey which still puts pressure on McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TripleC

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If FF are sincere and true reform of the Dail were sought and accomplished whereby we would have rule by parliament rather than rule by government this could be a good thing.

FF sincere.....you are kidding surely???!!!

Their entire campaign was disingenuous and based entirely around telling voters especially those in rural areas that somebody else is doing alot better then they are.

Even their grand scheme today of turning the entire Dail into a Government by committee was obviously just a time buying exercise so that they can get candidates and funding in place and then cause an Election at a time that most suits themselves.

Furthermore, if FF were sincere about Dail Reform they would have reformed it circa 1987-2011 when they were in power for 22 out of 25 years!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ren2k7 wrote:
    Looks like FG's Reynolds is preparing to concede defeat to FF in Sligo-Leitrim, wrapping up the count there.

Amazing comeback from Scanlon who was almost 1,500 behind at one point.

Naturally. However, if she calls for a recount. 67 isn't a crazy number to make up.

I think it is and will just prolong the elimination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

they still have a chance in longford/westmeath, don't they

Naturally. However, if she calls for a recount. 67 isn't a crazy number to make up. If so, she will transfer well to Broughan and Haughey which still puts pressure on McGrath.

We'll have to see where O'Callaghan's transfers go first which will probably go all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

TripleC wrote: »
    Furthermore, if FF were sincere about Dail Reform they would have reformed it circa 1987-2011 when they were in power for 22 out of 25 years!

I put the if in there for a reason. Sorry I'm not as cynical about progress as you are.

votecounts wrote: »

Slim but it's likely that if as expected Bannon is eliminated then his transers will push Penrose ahead of Hogan. Though there's currently a recount underway as FF's Gerety-Quinn is a mere 38 votes behind Bannon. It'll probably be tomorrow before we find out the final result.

votecounts wrote: »

Outside chance

count.jpg

• Advertisement

We'll have to see where O'Callaghan's transfers go first which will probably go all over the place.

Well the 67 gap is taking O'Callaghans transfers into account and its all but confirmed that a recount will take place.
    I think it is and will just prolong the elimination

1% error isn't crazy. Im sure those disputed ballot papers will have another run through as well.

1% error isn't crazy. Im sure those disputed ballot papers will have another run through as well.

So it is a full recount rather than a recount of the transfers?

So it is a full recount rather than a recount of the transfers?

Full recount 11 am tomorrow.

EDIT: Confirmed by newstalk: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/704080688929230848/photo/1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

4 candidates elected for Sligo/Leitrim constituency are:
    1. Marc MacSharry (FF)
    2. Martin Kenny (SF)
    3. Tony McLoughlin (FG)
    4. Eamon Scanlon (FF)

Amazing that FF regain the two seats they lost in 2011. SF retain their seat and FG lose one of theirs.

Just five constituencies remaining to finish up:

Dublin Bay North
    Dublin South-Central
    Dublin South-West
    Longford-Westmeath
    Wexford

And the national picture:

m3KxtPh.png

Nearly there.

As expected the SD's O'Callaghan's transfers went all over the place:

57kbAQm.png

I note that SF are still struggling to attract those vital transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Have AAA/PBP any more seats to pick up do you think? Excellent info on this thread. Thanks to all

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Centaur

Paudie Coffey giving Frank McBrearty a run for his money.

“To all the trolls and abusers on social media who like to personally attack politicians you can go piss off now and think about standing yourself as a candidate to see if you’ll do any better.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,096 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Centaur wrote: »
    Paudie Coffey giving Frank McBrearty a run for his money.

“To all the trolls and abusers on social media who like to personally attack politicians you can go piss off now and think about standing yourself as a candidate to see if you’ll do any better.”

350x700px-LL-5fcec43e_Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's it for Labour on six seats or is it? They desperately need to bag the final spot in Dublin Bay North as far as I can tell to give them speaking rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That's it for Labour on six seats or is it? They desperately need to bag the final spot in Dublin Bay North as far as I can tell to give them speaking rights.

Willie penrose still has an outside shot to make it 7 I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They are not looking to bad Longford/Westmeath, 1/4 filled and they are neck and neck with SF for final sport with SF ahead by around 250 votes however they could get it with when 1 FF and 1 FG knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I wonder if the social democrats are disappointed. They got 3 seats but really they were 3 relatively safe seats. Given how well they were received pre - election, I'd have thought they might get a couple more seats along with their high profile 3 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,096 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder if the social democrats are disappointed. They got 3 seats but really they were 3 relatively safe seats. Given how well they were received pre - election, I'd have thought they might get a couple more seats along with their high profile 3 seats.

I'd say they are fairly happy, its a longer game for them and can see them getting a lot more popular if they keep talking sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It was an ok result for SD. They kept seats they already had as a new party but didn't gain anything. Their other candidates did ok even if they didn't get any seats. They have potential to grow at least, we saw that people can easily reject a new party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say they are fairly happy, its a longer game for them and can see them getting a lot more popular if they keep talking sense.

Maybe not such a long game:
    A number of Fianna Fáil TDs have expressed reservations about a possible “grand coalition” with Fine Gael. “We are staying out of government with Fine Gael” said Dara Calleary who was returned to his Dáil seat in Mayo. He also ruled out a coalition with Sinn Féin but said the party would be open to governing with the Social Democrats.

Hold everything, I think we've found our government!

Maybe not such a long game:

Hold everything, I think we've found our government!

These coalition discussions could very well tear apart FF and FG causing much bitterness and resentment on all sides. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,697 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How did Kerry end up? Did Ferris and Brassil join Healy Raes?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How did Kerry end up? Did Ferris and Brassil join Healy Raes?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I heard Stephen Donnelly say that he expected to get seven. The interviewer
    said it might be five. Based on that, I'd say they might be a bit disappointed,
    in spite of the three of them topping the polls in their respective areas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Parties have come and gone before. Only the current big 4 have persisted since the 1930s. All others have disappeared or been absorbed into one or other of the big 4. Only exception is the Greens who have lasted longer than this election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Willie penrose still has an outside shot to make it 7 I think?

Just heard Willie Penrose on Morning Ireland a while ago, still fairly sure he is losing his seat despite full recount later at request of a FF candidate. Sad to see him go, a decent hardworking representative, one of the good guys and a big loss to his constituency - a lot worse than him still standing in that constituency unfortunately !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Just heard Willie Penrose on Morning Ireland a while ago, still fairly sure he is losing his seat despite full recount later at request of a FF candidate. Sad to see him go, a decent hardworking representative, one of the good guys and a big loss to his constituency - a lot worse than him still standing in that constituency unfortunately !

Yeah, that's my constituency and he got my number one, very sad if he doesn't make it Imo.
    Gerety-Quinn, FF, who called for the recount was next to be eliminated at the time and her transfers would probably put him out, but still not a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

O'Riordain might make it.

They need it or else we'll have a very disparate opposition with only SF with full party status in the Dail if the big 2 join up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    O'Riordain might make it.

They need it or else we'll have a very disparate opposition with only SF with full party status in the Dail if the big 2 join up.

O'Riordain will make it, I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

O'Riordain will make it, I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

Yeah, think that myself. Some drop for the Government, losing about 50 seats from the last election.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yeah, think that myself. Some drop for the Government, losing about 50 seats from the last election.

well labours 2011 vote was never in a mont of sundays going to hold up , in fact all we have seen in this election is a return to the slow crumbling away of the larger parties that started in 2007, Labour are back to typical numbers consistent with their history , FG borrowed FF votes have gone home.

SF struggling to accelerate in a field festooned with the radical left, Ultimately they want a FF FG coalition because they need to access the republican left of centre FF voters, especially in the rural areas, where SF are struggling

Anyway this count is irrelevant , well be back to the polls very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Rejected utterly, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Rejected utterly, no doubt about that.

I would disagree, FG remains the largest party in the state, with a higher percentage of the vote compared to 2007, with similar seats. The party did quite well in the Dublin region. all the really happened is that the 2011 election has been discarded and its back to " normal party politics"

The left is in an utter mess, with 10s of single issue candidates

Labour were always going to get massacred and in my view FG should have gone to the polls discarding labour , who were clinging on like a drowning man.

Kenny has a lot to answer for and I suspect he's a dead man walking.

There will be a new election very soon anyway , so this one is irrelevant

BoatMad wrote: »
    well labours 2011 vote was never in a mont of sundays going to hold up , in fact all we have seen in this election is a return to the slow crumbling away of the larger parties that started in 2007, Labour are back to typical numbers consistent with their history , FG borrowed FF votes have gone home.

SF struggling to accelerate in a field festooned with the radical left, Ultimately they want a FF FG coalition because they need to access the republican left of centre FF voters, especially in the rural areas, where SF are struggling

Anyway this count is irrelevant , well be back to the polls very soon

Don't think we'll ever see Labour at 30 or 40 seats again though, unless SF really balls it up. SD are a big threat to Labour as well if they build up a council base for the next GE, assuming we do get a Government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement