Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Superhorse wrote: »
    They are most certainly not and rightfully so for obvious reasons.

You are hilariously sure about this seeing as you are completely wrong.
    Its up to the individual count centre to decide on what the access is, many of them allow the general public as long as there is space, others have a ticket arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

In Wicklow with 30% of the boxes tallied, it looks like 1 SD, 1 SF, 1 FG to get a seat, possibly FF, Labour are dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Would FG, Labour, the Greens and Social Democrats have enough to form a rainbow coalition.

That's the outcome I'd be happiest with as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Centaur

K-9 wrote: »
    A thread for election day counts, tallies, results, commentary, guesses, tears, laughs and general madness.

Might as well start with the Irish Times poll:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-exit-poll-shows-coalition-well-short-of-overall-majority-1.2550489

FG 26
    FF 23
    SF 15
    Labour 8
    AAA 3.6
    Green 3.5
    SD 2.8
    Renua 2.3
    Independents 16

Allow me to summarise:

Centre Right – 26%
    Centre Left – 14.3%
    Looney Right – 2.3%
    Looney Left – 3.6%
    Populist – 38%
    No one understands you except me/I’m just like you/I'm not really a politician/I’ll fix the potholes/It would be Christmas every day if I was in charge – 16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A total mess, the public has no idea what it wants collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Spoil FG, Labour, the Greens and Social Democrats have enough to form a rainbow coalition.

That's the outcome I'd be happiest with as it stands.

What planet`s election results are you following :rolleyes:

A total mess, the public has no idea what it wants collectively.

It`s made it pretty clear what it doesn`t want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

charlie14 wrote: »
    What planet`s election results are you following :rolleyes:

Damn autocorrect! That was meant to be a question. It should read "would", not "spoil".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Your post reminds me of the American senator who when asked for his thoughts after losing his seat said "The electorate has exercised their democratic right..... the b***ards"

IT is still going to be a mess....for the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Sinn Féin? You're right they definitely don't want them

• Advertisement

It wants , no taxes, no water charges, no pain for all our debts, but expects everything at the same time.

That gets you nowhere unless enough people vote for a coherent alternative and they haven't.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Damn autocorrect! That was meant to be a question. It should read "would", not "spoil".

The answer would be in that case somewhere between f**k all and sweet f**k all.:)

it's looking like a second election is on the cards, I can't see FF/FG going in together. The second time they will focus on the IRA and ram it down everyone's throat so viciously that the electorate will be begging for one of the old favorites to lead them, and I think that will be a rainbow FF coalition without FG.

That gets you nowhere unless enough people vote for a coherent alternative and they haven't.

It will get the attention of politicans to the same extent that nothing concentrates the mind like a hanging in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Wallace is gone hopefully. I heard on the radio the other day that he does not even hold a surgery for his constituents. A complete self server IMO. Having said that, he will probably scrape in, to add to the mess the Dail will be in.

But that's a good thing! Wallace is a national parliamentarian who works for the entire country, not merely Wexford. We always hear that the problem with Irish politics is clientalism and parish pump politics so you can hardly criticise him for bucking this trend and doing his job properly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

From what I'm reading and hearing I think FF have been under-estimated in that exit poll and perhaps FG a touch over-estimated. From the analysis so far on the tallies, that certainly seems to be the case.

Real worry now that FF could get highest number of seats. I'd normally say I'd emigrate if that happens but then again moving to the UK isn't attractive with a Thatcherite government.

My prediction is that FF will form the next government in some shape or form.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    But that's a good thing! Wallace is a national parliamentarian who works for the entire country, not merely Wexford. We always hear that the problem with Irish politics is clientalism and parish pump politics so you can hardly criticise him for bucking this trend and doing his job properly.

A bit of convention would not go astray IMO. He does not appear to have any.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Sinn Féin? You're right they definitely don't want them

Just to clear up any misconceptions you may jumping to, I did not, nor ever have voted for SF.

As an aside though, maybe best to cut back on the lemons.

• Advertisement

It will get the attention of politicans to the same extent that nothing concentrates the mind like a hanging in the morning.

Unless the 2nd and third preferences come to the rescue there will be no alternative as both FF and FG would sooner put everyone through a second quick election than join together and leave SF as the main party of opposition.

Just to clear up any misconceptions you may jumping to, I did not, nor ever have voted for SF.

As an aside though, maybe best to cut back on the lemons.

Lemons? I'm not bitter. I welcome some shift in government but definitely not for the likes of SF or PBP. Glad to hear, I just assumed since so many anti government posts tend to come from SF bots.

devnull wrote: »
    From what I'm reading and hearing I think FF have been under-estimated in that exit poll and perhaps FG a touch over-estimated. From the analysis so far on the tallies, that certainly seems to be the case.

Real worry now that FF could get highest number of seats. I'd normally say I'd emigrate if that happens but then again moving to the UK isn't attractive with a Thatcherite government.

My prediction is that FF will form the next government in some shape or form.

So how do you feel about the FG game plan being based on the Tory`s and the Indo headline yesterday ?

No way Cameron came out with that without being asked to by FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Enda, that guy with the two pints in each hand is breaking his sides laughing at you.

So how do you feel about the FG game plan being based on the Tory`s and the Indo headline yesterday ?

No way Cameron came out with that without being asked to by FG.

If you really believe that FG are similar to the Tories then you quite frankly are deluded, the Conservative party in the UK are a fully fledged right wing party, Fine Gael are more centre right in my eyes.

I don't read the Indo on any other populist junk media outlet.

Unless the 2nd and third preferences come to the rescue there will be no alternative as both FF and FG would sooner put everyone through a second quick election than join together and leave SF as the main party of opposition.

I would see FG having a few seats more than FF and them offering to support a minority FG/Lab outgoing government.

If that happens, I would not like to be Enda disolving the Dail and going back to the country.

It would be wholesale slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Lemons? I'm not bitter. I welcome some shift in government but definitely not for the likes of SF or PBP. Glad to hear, I just assumed since so many anti government posts tend to come from SF bots.

The irony.

Looking as if FG deputy leader O Reilly is gone.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    The irony.

What's ironic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looking at some of the boxes it looks like Chris Andrews will be signing on Monday.

Derek Keating (FG) has conceded in DMW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oddly enough RTE radio said FF analysis pre the election was most of the public put health and public services first, lower taxes were way down last.

Looks like people don't just value who is throwing around a few pound like they used to.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Looking at some of the boxes it looks like Chris Andrews will be signing on Monday.

Possibly Lucinda as well, a short renewal is quiet possible.

Matthews, the guy who left FG looks a no hoper.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If you really believe that FG are similar to the Tories then you quite frankly are deluded, the Conservative party in the UK are a fully fledged right wing party, Fine Gael are more centre right in my eyes.

I don't read the Indo on any other populist junk media outlet.

So you want to ignore that FG strategists were in conclave with the Tory`s (it`s the economy stupid) in London when they should have been listening what they were being told at home.

Fair enough so.

As I said, I don't read the Indo so I don't know what you are talking about.

As someone who lived in the UK when Thatcher was in charge, I can assure you that FG are nowhere near like the Tory party, the only people who are saying they are tend to be the people who have no actual experience of true right wing policies.

An assumption that far too many posters here have made to anyone who has been anti this government by shouting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As I said, I don't read the Indo so I don't know what you are talking about.

As someone who lived in the UK when Thatcher was in charge, I can assure you that FG are nowhere near like the Tory party, the only people who are saying they are tend to be the people who have no actual experience of true right wing policies.

Surely the point is more that the Indo is actively proFG so on voting day were always likely to go with what they believed would be a good headline for FG in one of our best selling and most read newspapers.
    So someone in the Indo (presumably in cohorts with higher ups in the FG election team) actually thought that a Cameron endorsement was a winning headline.

Like I'm an FG supporter but immediately facepalmed when I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The arrogance from the government commentators both FG and Lab is extraordinary. Saying things like the people choose not to acknowledge the hard work for the past five years. Any wonder they're getting hammered. Arrogant in the build up and even now after being rejected they still feel entitled.

Pat Rabbitt being so butthurt is hilarious.

Jayop wrote: »
    Pat Rabbitt being so butthurt is hilarious.

he's such an arse.

he's such an arse.

Possibly the most arrogant old fool on TV all day. He doesn't do labour any favours.

• Advertisement

Possibly the most arrogant old fool on TV all day. He doesn't do labour any favours.

Surprisingly his collegue Alan Kelly looks like he's going to hang on to his seat with michael Lowrey topping the poll in tipp, Jesus glad I don't live there.

Surprisingly his collegue Alan Kelly looks like he's going to hang on to his seat with michael Lowrey topping the poll in tipp, Jesus glad I don't live there.

How's Burton faring? I've not seen anything up to date.

Surely the point is more that the Indo is actively proFG so on voting day were always likely to go with what they believed would be a good headline for FG in one of our best selling and most read newspapers.
    So someone in the Indo (presumably in cohorts with higher ups in the FG election team) actually thought that a Cameron endorsement was a winning headline.

Like I'm an FG supporter but immediately facepalmed when I saw it.

Clearly if that article did say that it was an own-goal because it very much would not help them so I agree, but I haven't seen the article.

What I'm seeing suggests that Michael Martin's performance in the last debate has perked up the FF vote and hit the FG vote.

People speak about the opinion polls, but there was no opinion poll made after the last debate that including only data after the debate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clinging on by her fingernails

There is a lot of comment on here about right and left politics.

2011 FG 36%, Labour 19%, FF 17% gives a centre vote of 72%

That will have change radically this time.

The question is, has the outgoing FG government been the main reason for this with some pretty right wing Tory like policies ?

Stheno wrote: »
    Clinging on by her fingernails

God I pray she's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Neck and neck for last seat with coppinger , I don't like Joan , but i,d be delighted if she knocks out that nutter coppinger

The transfer patterns may help her ( j b) but it will be tight

Mod:

Up the standard a little bit please.

AK47 for leader.

Just what Labour need after this hammering.:pac::D

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

Up the standard a little bit please.

:confused::confused:

Advertisement