Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

And yet we still rank highly on HDI. Net emigration is falling and unemployment is also falling. This is probably down to us having the fastest growing economy in Europe.

No developed western country should EVER have net emigration. That's a damning indictment of the three main parties that's ran this country the ground time and again.

What is you solution to those "issues" Shinners policy ??????

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    What, you think a FF/FG will bring in a flat tax, slash social welfare and privatise everything? They'll be an awful govt for sure but a hypothetical Renua led govt would be even worse. And that's saying something.

So it's now looking like a FF-FG coalition, with possibly FF taking the most seats. Taoiseach Martin with Enda resigning as FG leader and a new FG head being Tanaiste. Labour decimated and SF as the new main opposition party.

Renua was never going to get traction , it was always seen as a spoiled brat response to getting thrown out , it's policies were framed up on the spot

It's not even worth talking about , the electorate didn't vote for them be used they were right wing , it didn't vote for them because they were irelevant

Now we have a potential proper centre right gov with some social conscience. The problem is FF instability , which means at the first sign of problems FF will break and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ireland has a history of occassional boom and frequent bust. The common denominator has always been FFGLAB.

Or the common denominator is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No idea what you're on about. The Irish people have made it clear repeatedly they despise right wing neo-Thatcherite politics and neo-liberal trickle down economics. They want nothing to do witt all that crap. It never worked in Britain and it never worked here.

PD's: DEAD!
    Renua: Soon to be DEAD! :D

If your read the post again, the reference was to FG.

So, I am in total agreement with you.

The Irish people have made it very clear they want nothing to do with "all that crap"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

No developed western country should EVER have net emigration. That's a damning indictment of the three main parties that's ran this country the ground time and again.

Nonsense, with our uncharacteristic high birthrate , and limited economy , and English speaking well educated populous , there is always emigration , the fact remains that the countries net population is growing and the workforce has expanded net total.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

You really think Ireland can ever have real change with FFGLAB, the troika of insanity that has brought nothing but poverty, misery, economic carnage, emigration and massive corruption since 1922? FFS! :rolleyes:

Yes indeed. The big issues will still be there no matter who governs. It always ends up what's best for the Party and cronies. In five years the health service will be further eroded, emigration will be still rampant.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Renua was never going to get traction , it was always seen as a spoiled brat response to getting thrown out , it's policies were framed up on the spot

It's not even worth talking about , the electorate didn't vote for them be used they were right wing , it didn't vote for them because they were irelevant

Now we have a potential proper centre right gov with some social conscience. The problem is FF instability , which means at the first sign of problems FF will break and run.

A proper centre right gov ?

From what I have seen of FF in this election, they have recognised a vacancy centre left and it`s worked for them.

If you factor in SF, I cannot see them moving from there anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Centaur wrote: »
    As a slight aside are there any tallys on how many women candidates will get elected?
    What will the gender balance of the new Dail look like?

Just heard Claire Byrne speak to Darragh O'Brien FF from Fingal. She put it to him that his running
    mate, Clifford-Lee? had claimed during the week that she was subjected to a lot of aggression from his supporters. Apparently, Darragh had not been too happy that HQ put her in as his running mate. He vehemently denied the reported shenanigans!! And he has topped the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shane Ross first TD to be elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FG Frances Fitzgerald elected Dub Mid-West
    SF Eoin o Broin elected Dub Mid-West

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

EOin O'Broin SF also elected with Fitzgerald.

Great to see O'Broin topping the vote in Dublin Mid-East. SF making the biggest gains.

Nonsense, with our uncharacteristic high birthrate , and limited economy , and English speaking well educated populous , there is always emigration , the fact remains that the countries net population is growing and the workforce has expanded net total.

Yeah this is crap. France has a similar birthrate to Ireland and yet doesn't experience emigration. Emigration isn't inevitable if we had competent leadership.

FF Sean Flemming elected Laois

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I will be amazed if FF/FG enter coalition. On the evidence to date here and in Britain the smaller party faces annihilation. Perhaps the country deserves a grand coalition of the Left led by SF to deliver on their policies. At the very least it would be interesting to see how things would go.

Brian Stanley pretty much assured of the last seat in Laois.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I will be amazed if FF/FG enter coalition. On the evidence to date here and in Britain the smaller party faces annihilation. Perhaps the country deserves a grand coalition of the Left led by SF to deliver on their policies. At the very least it would be interesting to see how things would go.

Almost certainly won't be enough unless it's a minority administration, this is the problem all the groupings have.

Even if they had enough in theory I have a hard time imagining "the left" will avoid the usual first thing on the agenda....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Perhaps the country deserves a grand coalition of the Left led by SF to deliver on their policies. At the very least it would be interesting to see how things would go.

Won't have anywhere near the numbers, even if you include Labour...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Michael Martin basically just basically offered FG a possible deal by the sounds of things, refused to rule it out and seemed to almost outline his requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I would hope so.

FF & Martin have been at pains to stress how left wing they are over the past couple of months.
    Time for the left to step up....
    Anchored by FF, there should be enough across the spectrum, especially if Labour are open to a taste, but perhaps even without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

devnull wrote: »
    Michael Martin basically just basically offered FG a possible deal by the sounds of things, refused to rule it out and seemed to almost outline his requirements.

i thought the opposite

Nonsense to suggest that labour is centre right.

Take out labour and the centre right vote is not too different this time. It's still the clear majority wish of the voters. Nor can you say that all independents are left wing either.

Left is about 30 % of vote. , 50'centre right 20 % single issue, character voting

Sure sure housing ,free water , etc etc etc , sounds like FF in the late seventies , I remember the 15 year recession that caused. you get the public services you pay for and we don't want to pay for them ( once we get them of course)

Where do you believe the increase in their vote came from 2011?

The left ?

It came from FF.

After seeing what Labour supported in this FG/Lab government they certainly couldn`t be judged anywhere to the left.

Something that has been brought home to them today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

i thought the opposite

He spoke a lot of words for someone who was ruling it out. If he was ruling it out why not just say so like the guy from SF did just now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I would hope so.

FF & Martin have been at pains to stress how left wing they are over the past couple of months.
    Time for the left to step up....
    Anchored by FF, there should be enough across the spectrum, especially if Labour are open to a taste, but perhaps even without.

Well Ml. McGrath certainly did'nt rule it out in an earleir interview. Wiil FG bite???

Well Ml. McGrath certainly did'nt rule it out in an earleir interview. Wiil FG bite???

I didn`t hear what he was offering, but I have been saying for some time back that FF "acting responsibly" is to offer FG a minority Gov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Should a state like California have net emigration? It had net emigration of over 1 million between 2004 and 2013. Source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭stefan.kuntz

You really think Ireland can ever have real change with FFGLAB, the troika of insanity that has brought nothing but poverty, misery, economic carnage, emigration and massive corruption since 1922? FFS! :rolleyes:

So there was no one else to vote for? What constituency were you in?

PS, the bailout is over. Take your head out of the sand and you might learn something.

California is becoming a failed state its fair to say.

Should a state like California have net emigration? It had net emigration of over 1 million between 2004 and 2013. Source

If only we had the sun and Silicon Valley.

Mind you, they do have the San Andreas Fault, so figures may not be guaranteed to stay high there either if that goes tits up.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Centaur

I don't see Labour going into coalition with anybody now, as they would just be making up the numbers.
    The responsibility to form a government primarily lies with Fianna Gael, Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein.

Centaur wrote: »
    I don't see Labour going into coalition with anybody now, as they would just be making up the numbers.
    The responsibility to form a government primarily lies with Fianna Gael, Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein.

Anything less than 15 seats for Labour and I never thought it was on, even if FG had the numbers.

Carlow/Kilkenny set to return two FF, 1 FG, 1 SF and AN other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Carlow/Kilkenny set to return two FF, 1 FG, 1 SF and AN other

Very possibly 3 FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FF gain in Meath West with FG losing out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

1 SF in Waterford.

John McGuinness is predicting 3 FF in Carlow/Kilkenny. RTE radio analysts don't agree.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    1 SF in Waterford.

John McGuinness is predicting 3 FF in Carlow/Kilkenny. RTE radio analysts don't agree.

Steady on - only Mary Butler (FF) is elected in Waterford!

Less than a 1.5 FG quota in Waterford. Deasy or Coffey could be gone?

Impossible to call that one Deasy (west) will get some of FF surplus, Coffey (east) will get some Labour surplus but someone is going to be very disappointed cos they'll lose by only a few hundred at most.

• Advertisement

Oops, FF do most of the whooping and hollering, should have known. Looks like SF will be next.

Analysts now changed and saying 3 FF, 1SF and 1FG in Carlow/Kilkenny.

Seat there for SF and possibly IAA at the expense of FGs Coffey or Deasy.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Seat there for SF and possibly IAA at the expense of FGs Coffey or Deasy.

I know! I was just correcting a fachtual error.

Dub Wesht 4 seats

quota 8391

FG Varadkar 8247
    FF Chambers 6917
    AAA Coppinger 6520
    Lab Burton 6445
    SF Donnelly 6034

Jesus, is that the best you Gaelers can do? California isn't a country. Try again.

The Gaelers sure are in foul mood today. I wonder why? :D
    So there was no one else to vote for? What constituency were you in?

PS, the bailout is over. Take your head out of the sand and you might learn something.

Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Dub Wesht 4 seats

quota 8391

FG Varadkar 8247
    FF Chambers 6917
    AAA Coppinger 6520
    Lab Burton 6445
    SF Donnelly 6034

So 2 bits of good news for Varadkar today. Getting elected and England winning the rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Is Fine Gael going to get back into power or will Fianna Fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Gringo180 wrote: »

Rw coalition looks the only answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

FF.

The time for the grand left wing coalition is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Both I would think

Aah sweet Jesus give me strength .

• Advertisement
Advertisement