Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

K-9 wrote: »
    1 SF in Waterford.

John McGuinness is predicting 3 FF in Carlow/Kilkenny. RTE radio analysts don't agree.

McGuinness out of the traps open to a FF/FG coalition, despite weeks of the FF dear leader insisting that he'd have nothing to do with the Gaelers. FGers also making similar noises, again despite Enda saying he despised FF and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. FF/FG still proving what lying frauds they are.

God help Ireland if, as expected, we get a FFG govt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

charlie14 wrote: »
    Aah sweet Jesus give me strength .

Whats your problem?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is Fine Gael going to get back into power or will Fianna Fail?

Both will. All in the "national interest" you understand.

Donnelly elected on first count in Wicklow with SF's John Brady a few hundred voted short of the quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jayop wrote: »
    So 2 bits of good news for Varadkar today. Getting elected and England winning the rugby.

Ah northing like a bit of West Brit abuse eh?

Mind you he is of Indian decent so a bit of the colonial residue may exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah northing like a bit of West Brit abuse eh?

Mind you he is of Indian decent so a bit of the colonial residue may exist!

If you read some of his pro partition postings on Twitter this week you'd understand.

Great to see Catherine Murphy getting elected so easily. For me she was the star of the last Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you read some of his pro partition postings on Twitter this week you'd understand.

Partition is now being a West Brit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    McGuinness out of the traps open to a FF/FG coalition, despite weeks of the FF dear leader insisting that he'd have nothing to do with the Gaelers. FGers also making similar noises, again despite Enda saying he despised FF and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. FF/FG still proving what lying frauds they are.

Unless you want another election that looks the only realistic option.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah, in the context he was posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tonight is SF's night.

Get on board or your a West Brit, partitionist thatcher lover.

The story of the election must be FF going from zero TD's in Dublin to a possible 7. The other story is they probably left 5 or 6 seats behind them nationwide.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Tonight is SF's night.

Get on board or your a West Brit, partitionist thatcher lover.

Nah it's FF's night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Do you not think they'd put manners on each other?

I'm interested in seeing them together. And we're kind of stymied anyway - which we knew already. No one party can take this. We can't have 50 million independents in a coalition. I would honestly rate a FG/FF partnership as, they both do have some strong members, and they both would have such a point to prove against each other, that it could do some good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just looking at RTE's count so far...

How come FF are the first to be racing past the post with 12 seats with nothing else above 3?

Lol the starry plough

Mod:

Leave the partionist and West Brit stuff for elsewhere chaps, thank you.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Just looking at RTE's count so far...

How come FF are the first to be racing past the post with 12 seats with nothing else above 3?

Topping the poll in lots of places.

FG should start picking up as second and third seats get filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I could never see FF going into coalition with FG where FG held a significant majority in seats and thus the upper hand. Given that the seat count is going to be very close between the two, I'm starting to think they could.

Some die hard FFers would have a huge difficulty with it though.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    I could never see FF going into coalition with FG where FG held a significant majority in seats and thus the upper hand. Given that the seat count is going to be very close between the two, I'm starting to think they could.

Some die hard FFers would have a huge difficulty with it though.

I think the FGers will struggle with it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They don't have any policies that are any different anyway so it would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Best thing Fine Gael does now is opt out of power,the electorate decided yesterday that they want change,let them have it.
    Force FF to do a deal with the other parties and be ready to clean up their mess again in 6 months time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Toibin of SF elected on the 2nd count in Meath West

I'm enjoying Dobbo today. Very professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

How's Joan Burton doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm enjoying Dobbo today. Very professional

He's fantastic at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

downwesht wrote: »
    Best thing Fine Gael does now is opt out of power,the electorate decided yesterday that they want change,let them have it.
    Force FF to do a deal with the other parties and be ready to clean up their mess again in 6 months time!

If FG have more seats than FF, then I don`t see how there is any onus on FF to try making deals.

Surely that onus is on the largest party.

McDonald of SF elected on the 6th count in Dublin Central

Gannon doing very well

How's Joan Burton doing?

Looks like she'll be in a battle for the last seat. Coppinger thinks she'll get more transfers which leaves Burton down to the last one, think it's with a SF candidate.

Any word on Alan Kelly?

How's Joan Burton doing?

Looks like she will scrape through

burton.jpg

• Advertisement

Any word on Alan Kelly?

12,992 quota

Kelly got 7,746 FP

Hard to know with Alan Kelly, might get the last seat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

As a FG supporter, the longer this goes on the more worried I become.

Everything I see suggests that as bad as the exit poll was for FG in reality it's going to be even worse. I just can't see the gap being that big between FG and FF as the poll predicts for me it looks like it's going to be very close in number of seats and vote percentage.

Even starting too get worried that FF could be biggest party or at least very very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Richard Boyd Barrett got elected with 15,718 votes in Dun Laoghaire a few moments ago before the results of the 1st Tipperary count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Michael Lowry topping the poll in Tipp again, bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Jesus, is that the best you Gaelers can do? California isn't a country. Try again.

The Gaelers sure are in foul mood today. I wonder why? :D

Bizarre.

California isn't a country but if it was it would have the 9th largest economy in the world and it would be the 35th most populous.

I'm not a "Gaeler" by the way. I'm just able to look at the situation objectively.

Unless you want another election that looks the only realistic option.

I'm more curious as to why Enda and Martin insisted they wouldn't work together throughout the entire campaign and now FFG is considered the most likely govt formation by Gaelers and FFers. You might not be bothered by liars in govt but I, and many others, wouldn't be as happy.

Catherine Martin from the Green Party just elected in Dublin Rathdown, Shatter is gone

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Do you not think they'd put manners on each other?

I'm interested in seeing them together. And we're kind of stymied anyway - which we knew already. No one party can take this. We can't have 50 million independents in a coalition. I would honestly rate a FG/FF partnership as, they both do have some strong members, and they both would have such a point to prove against each other, that it could do some good.

Yeah, let's have this new "national unity" govt, it'll be fun seeing both getting wiped out in the next election. SF will be loving this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Shatter is shattered

Blame Enda!
    Oh well.
    He'll go back to a very high paying job in the bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

devnull wrote: »
    As a FG supporter, the longer this goes on the more worried I become.

Everything I see suggests that as bad as the exit poll was for FG in reality it's going to be even worse. I just can't see the gap being that big between FG and FF as the poll predicts for me it looks like it's going to be very close in number of seats and vote percentage.

Even starting too get worried that FF could be biggest party or at least very very close.

First count figures for 25 of the 40 constituences was FG 26.6% FF 25.1%

It went down to 26.1 and 25.1 but how many extra constituencies that included I missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

pconn062 wrote: »
    Michael Lowry topping the poll in Tipp again, bizarre.

Speaks volumes about the Tipp people I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Dublin-Rathdown has big casualties in their final results.

Alan Shatter, Alex White & Peter Matthews all out of the race.

California isn't a country but if it was it would have the 9th largest economy in the world and it would be the 35th most populous.

I'm not a "Gaeler" by the way. I'm just able to look at the situation objectively.

Anyone insisting decades of net emigration in any country is a normal thing cannot be considered objective by any stretch of the imagination. Ireland has been ravaged by emigration, don't for a second pretend that it has ever been a good thing like what a lot of braindead Gaelers repeatedly spout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

O Cuiv (a De Valera), a Haughey and a Cowan potentially back in Government. Back to the future. We get what we deserve.

Delighted to see Israel's man in the Dail has been turfed out. Now waiting for Burton to get the same treatment. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

charlie14 wrote: »
    First count figures for 25 of the 40 constituences was FG 26.6% FF 25.1%

It went down to 26.1 and 25.1 but how many extra constituencies that included I missed

It's not just the gap is smaller than exit polls, I just feel that even where FG are doing well in the share of the vote, they're not really converting enough of them into seats whereas other parties with less share are.

You see some areas where FG have a few candidates and are 5-6% ahead of the other parties but they'r;e still only in the contention for one seat whereas where FF are doing that they are in line where they run two canidates for two seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Centaur

Catherine Martin from the Green Party just elected in Dublin Rathdown, Shatter is gone

Had a sneaky feeling the Green candidate would feature here. The spirit of Roger Garland at play. Also Eamon Ryan's old stomping ground. Did he make a mistake switching constituencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Ha, ha. SF still stuck in complaining about govt policy while taking no responsibility to form a new govt. Cant just b!tch from the sidelines now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Stunning result for her. Any word on how Eamonn Ryan is doing?

Advertisement