Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless cards with good distance?

Options
  • 27-02-2016 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

The room that my PC is in is quite a ways from my modem. I can get two bars connection to this modem via my laptop and I was wondering what wireless cards I could install in my PC to allow that to also connect to the modem over wireless.

I do have Powerline adapters, however, I only use them when I'm doing something where I need good strong connections, such as when remotely controlling my PC. Also, I find that they hike up the electricity bill and often use more power than the PC, so I don't need that suggestion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

quainy wrote: »
    The room that my PC is in is quite a ways from my modem. I can get two bars connection to this modem via my laptop and I was wondering what wireless cards I could install in my PC to allow that to also connect to the modem over wireless.

I do have Powerline adapters, however, I only use them when I'm doing something where I need good strong connections, such as when remotely controlling my PC. Also, I find that they hike up the electricity bill and often use more power than the PC, so I don't need that suggestion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, how did you measure or estimate this? Its not something i have heard of before, that powerline/homeplugs have a large power draw? I wouldnt have thought they would be drawing anything like the power of a PC.

Again just curious, not questioning it as such.

Edit: What is your current wifi card in your PC, and what is your router? What kind of distance, and number of walls as you passing through?

The router signal may be more of a problem than the card in your PC. If you have UPC, looking at the Virgin Media talk to forum shows a lot of issues with poor wifi with the horizon box. Any options to run a length of CAT6 cable to where your PC is, even externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its horseshít. Energy doesn't just disappear. In your computer you produce rakes of heat, in your kettle you do too. Homeplugs don't even tend to get warm, or emit a lot of light, they just induce a small signal on the mains pair. TP state they use less than one watt.

Quainy you should buy one of the TP link PCI cards with the three antenna external mounting if you insist on not using powerline.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Lower power usage

Another great feature of the TL-PA411KIT AV500 Powerline Kit is that its modern, practical and sophisticated design includes a power saving mode that can cut down energy usage by up to 85% - much lower than other powerline adapters.

The adapter handily changes from work mode to power-save mode when no data is coming in or going out over a period of time, depending on network and environmental factors.

First of all, what you're seeing above is the description on my TP Link Powerline adapters, please explain where it says one watt?

Secondly, I have found this out by comparing my energy usage at times when I am using my PC with the TP Link, using the TP Link for my phone/tablet, using my PC offline and a control test where I am not using either PC or TP Link.

Figuratively speaking, they are not higher than my PC, I said it seems that way. However, in my case, I am finding that they do have a significant increase in energy consumption, due to the fact that the intermittent signal used between them requires them to use energy to pass said signal along.

I know what I'm speaking about here, I didn't ask to be called a liar. Thank you for your antenna suggestion, I'll look it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

First of all, what you're seeing above is the description on my TP Link Powerline adapters, please explain where it says one watt?

Secondly, I have found this out by comparing my energy usage at times when I am using my PC with the TP Link, using the TP Link for my phone/tablet, using my PC offline and a control test where I am not using either PC or TP Link.

Figuratively speaking, they are not higher than my PC, I said it seems that way. However, in my case, I am finding that they do have a significant increase in energy consumption, due to the fact that the intermittent signal used between them requires them to use energy to pass said signal along.

I know what I'm speaking about here, I didn't ask to be called a liar. Thank you for your antenna suggestion, I'll look it up :)

Datasheet
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tp-link.de/resources/document/TL-PA411(EU_V2_Datasheet.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjI6PW1_ZfLAhVItBQKHYxgDfIQFgguMAY&usg=AFQjCNGLpnRXJ0MKZS00VvYLOs-jeKzT4Q&sig2=QcSIAcxjH0GuTzrjFYaEJw

Less than 2 watts apparently according to that. Fair enough if you are seeing an significant increase when measured at the outlet. Possibly faulty, though would expect the excess draw to manifest itself somehow. I have two different tp link sets, nothing to measure them with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I just used this on my tp link homeplug it's results have been very accurate for every appliance I've tested.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q7PJGW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It reads 0.6 watts, two of them would use 1.2 watts

379078.png

€1.68 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I have found this out by comparing my energy usage at times when I am using my PC with the TP Link, using the TP Link for my phone/tablet, using my PC offline and a control test where I am not using either PC or TP Link.

That's not an accurate test. Use one of these to measure energy usage accurately.
    I know what I'm speaking about here

No you don't.

Advertisement