Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hung Dail?

Options
  • 27-02-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

What if Scenarios?

If FG & FF wont go in together the only possible solutions include independents.

Renua etc won't have enough seats to put FG & Lab over the line.

Seems we are destined to have a quick return to the polling stations :(.

"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose." Lyndon B. Johnson
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Haughey and O’Malley, Spring and Reynolds, ==> Kenny and Martin?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Which is the best bet for FG.

Don't entertain coalition with FF, regroup under a new leader and try again in a few months to get their message of economic recovery across better.

Or try an alliance with FF for fear that not doing so and forcing another election on tbe people will not be popular.

The thing with the support for independents may be a bit like when a small team draw with a big team in a football match. The big team often win the replay, so do the independents get the damelevel of support if there is an election in 2 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Less than a quarter of the electorate want FG in power. Less than a quarter of the electorate want FF in power. Neither of them want the other. If they do unite it will be to form a government that the vast majority won't want, yet their combined arrogance and indifference to the public will probably push them together to secure a nice pension top up for a bunch of unwanted, unworthy egotists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭stefan.kuntz

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Less than a quarter of the electorate want FG in power. Less than a quarter of the electorate want FF in power. Neither of them want the other. If they do unite it will be to form a government that the vast majority won't want, yet their combined arrogance and indifference to the public will probably push them together to secure a nice pension top up for a bunch of unwanted, unworthy parasites.

And what percent want SF in government? Or AAA/PBP or independent?

Have to laugh when hurlers on the ditch selectively talk about arrogance and indifference. Agenda driven bile. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hanging them would be a good idea!

Serously, though, I think you'll be voting again. Not that that will do anything.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Less than a quarter of the electorate want FG in power. Less than a quarter of the electorate want FF in power. Neither of them want the other. If they do unite it will be to form a government that the vast majority won't want, yet their combined arrogance and indifference to the public will probably push them together to secure a nice pension top up for a bunch of unwanted, unworthy egotists

What's the alternative? Do you have one or just complaining for the sake of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Look at it this way, 45% of the population dont want SF and Independents in Government either. Lets see how effective a Government filled with incompetent independents gets on. They have no views or values on anything.

Look at Dublin Central, which is a very working class area. They elected Maureen O'Sullivan in 2011 as an independent. Independents have been soaring in popularity especially Dublin. She got a horrific 8.4% first preference. Versus double digits for all the big party candidates. People are starting to realise, independents are great on paper and useless in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

newacc2015 wrote: »
    People are starting to realise, independents are great on paper and useless in reality.

Hear hear. Hard to see how you can form an alternative government when most of the Dail is made up of independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Haven't we had hung Dail's since the late 80's? Coalition bargaining is a fact of Irish politics. The only thing unusal this time is the prospect of FG and FF teaming up in some hellish populist, gombeen alliance. Better get ready for a crazy few years folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Look at it this way, 45% of the population dont want SF and Independents in Government either. Lets see how effective a Government filled with incompetent independents gets on. They have no views or values on anything.

Look at Dublin Central, which is a very working class area. They elected Maureen O'Sullivan in 2011 as an independent. Independents have been soaring in popularity especially Dublin. She got a horrific 8.4% first preference. Versus double digits for all the big party candidates. People are starting to realise, independents are great on paper and useless in reality.

A bewildering post considering how well independents have performed. I read earlier that 1 in 3 voters went for an Independent. That's a damning indictment of the failure of the main parties. To say they have no views or values is just ignorant. I watched the four main leaders debating and it was just desperate stuff. A slanging match.

As for Dublin Central, they altered the constituency boundary there so perhaps she lost key support. Or maybe she just wasn't any good. To extrapolate from one candidate's disappointing performance that all independents are bad pretty much sums up why the electorate has no faith in mainstream thinking any more.

• Advertisement

A bewildering post considering how well independents have performed. I read earlier that 1 in 3 voters went for an Independent. That's a damning indictment of the failure of the main parties. To say they have no views or values is just ignorant. I watched the four main leaders debating and it was just desperate stuff. A slanging match.

As for Dublin Central, they altered the constituency boundary there so perhaps she lost key support. Or maybe she just wasn't any good. To extrapolate from one candidate's disappointing performance that all independents are bad pretty much sums up why the electorate has no faith in mainstream thinking any more.

Selection of independents can often be cyclical.
    One election they do well, as a protest/alternative, the next they do poorly when its realised that they do not have a huge influence.

Those who seek power or who wish to retain power rarely consider the consequences for others, they act in the moment. They will take any option available to them and in this case it is the FF/FG coalition.

With Kenny facing a heave this will play to FF advantage.

The problem will be duplication of roles and personal power base struggles. Who would be Taoiseach? etc etc

They will probably play the we have to form a FF/FG coalition to avoid the dreaded Sinn Fein rainbow coalition to soften the stance of the hard line members.

The truth is the Troika still have us by the gilhullies (b*lls) so there is limited room for maneuver anyway making the coalition easier to manage for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Joan Burton is hung like a horse!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Joan Burton is hung like a horse!

Any update on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

godtabh wrote: »
    Any update on her?

The SF candidate won't pick up enough transfers to put her under threat in all likelyhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If you ask Americans why Sanders is doing so well. It is not because they like him or his policies. It is just they dont like Clinton. Even Clintons camp have said she isnt very like. 1 in 5 people who voted some of the carcass's, were torn between either choosing between Trump or Sanders. They have very different values or views. But they represent an alternative from mainstream parties.

Actually the new boundary would have benefited independents more. They moved the wealthier areas of Glasnevin and Drumcondra into North West. These areas tended to be either FG or FF strongholds. The top 5/6 performing candidates in Dublin Central were big parties (and Former SF Burke). You would expect in a working class areas, where people are more likely to feel alienated from big parties they would have voted Independents.

People are voting for "alternatives" not because they agree with their policies. Most of our referendums end up being a straw poll on people's opinion of the Government. A huge amount of no votes in the first Lisbon treaty was due to the lack of popularity of the Government.

Willie O Dea was on the radio earlier very much distancing himself from a FF/FG coalition.

Why ?

Because he said it would make SF the main opposition and thus give them a platform to form the next Govt in the next election.

I found that very defeatist.
    He is killing the chances of FF/FG coalition working before it ever got started, but he also has a point I suppose.
    Being in opposition give you the chance to promise the moon and stars without having to deliver them.

I imagine this might be just a bit of cat and mouse from Willie to try give FF the upper hand in any negotiations to follow.

looks like Joan Burton will probably squeeze in but I doubt she will remain leader for too long after the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

u2me wrote: »
    looks like Joan Burton will probably squeeze in but I doubt she will remain leader for too long after the election

Could have a point,

Read somewhere that labour are required to have a leadership contest six months after an election if the party in not in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you ask Americans why Sanders is doing so well. It is not because they like him or his policies. It is just they dont like Clinton. Even Clintons camp have said she isnt very like. 1 in 5 people who voted some of the carcass's, were torn between either choosing between Trump or Sanders. They have very different values or views. But they represent an alternative from mainstream parties.

Actually the new boundary would have benefited independents more. They moved the wealthier areas of Glasnevin and Drumcondra into North West. These areas tended to be either FG or FF strongholds. The top 5/6 performing candidates in Dublin Central were big parties (and Former SF Burke). You would expect in a working class areas, where people are more likely to feel alienated from big parties they would have voted Independents.

People are voting for "alternatives" not because they agree with their policies. Most of our referendums end up being a straw poll on people's opinion of the Government. A huge amount of no votes in the first Lisbon treaty was due to the lack of popularity of the Government.

Again, you're making sweeping generalisations based on presumably your own anecdotal experiences.

Maureen O'Sulivan retained her seat by the way.

Eammon O Cuiv was on TV earlier and ruled out coalition with FG or SF.

Michael Martin earlier said that he expects to be nominated for Taoiseach on March 10th.

So its going to be hard for them to figure out how they will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Eammon O Cuiv was on TV earlier and ruled out coalition with FG or SF.

Michael Martin earlier said that he expects to be nominated for Taoiseach on March 10th.

So its going to be hard for them to figure out how they will do that.

I wouldn't pay too much notice to what o'cuiv says!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much does it cost the state to run an election, I'm guessing about €20million?

It will 100% be an FF/FG coalition from this run, they are both too greedy for power to risk a rerun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I believe what cost the coalition was the plight of the homeless and SF and FF seized on that. There are many reasons for homelessness but the absence of gvt policy in tackling the problem is part of the disconnect between the gvt parties and the electorate.

95 of 157 seats filled level pegging FF/FG 28 seats each.

Only viable option is FF/FG Coalition, would it survive the first budget? Rotating Taoiseach? Power base struggles?

They will form the government, line their coffers and fumble along till descent among the FG ranks forces the collapse.

Can Kenny really maintain the confidence of his party in a FF/FG Coalition? Younger ambitious deputies already nipping at his heels.

"The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck." Walter Cronkite -- Au revoir Mr Kenny.

Re-election within a year.

Frank Flannery said it best.

Another election in the next few weeks or months would turn Ireland into an open air psychiatric hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Another election in the next few weeks or months would turn Ireland into an open air psychiatric hospital.

Bit of madness could be fun though

As good old Friedrich Nietzsche once said "Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule."

Going to be an interesting few months.

FF move ahead in the seats tally......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

u2me wrote: »
    Only viable option is FF/FG Coalition, would it survive the first budget? Rotating Taoiseach? Power base struggles?

Not to mention annoyed back-benchers. If FF/FG form a government together, roughly half the TDs in each party who would have been in line for a plum job will lose out.

Advertisement