Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hung Dail?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Well there will be no difference in Kenny position as FG leader between Thursday and the next sitting.

They will still have 50 seats and will still gave to do a deal on forming a government

Labour have stated they'll only vote for Kenny on Thursday, so immediately seven votes down afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I don't know who Labour have available to them but if one of the older members of the party like Howlin us all they have then they are in poor shape.

Kelly or Sherlock are the only realistic Labour leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

piuswal wrote: »
    Kelly or Sherlock are the only realistic Labour leaders.

With so few seats won they may go for experience (howling) over the action man (kelly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

While politicians bicker and chat day to day life continues for the department of Health. Business at hand waiting for the new minister to be appointed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/department-of-health-set-to-move-to-former-boi-hq-1.2565322

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So there we have it.
    The 32nd Dail has meet without a Taoiseach being elected.

Enda is now acting Taoiseach and the Dail is back on the 22nd.

Which is a bit earlier than I expected so maybe there is progress on getting support for a government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

So there we have it.
    The 32nd Dail has meet without a Taoiseach being elected.

Enda is now acting Taoiseach and the Dail is back on the 22nd.

Which is a bit earlier than I expected so maybe there is progress on getting support for a government.

Judging by attitudes, a minority government now seems favourite, but likely to be short-lived, before an election next year.

Judging by attitudes, a minority government now seems favourite, but likely to be short-lived, before an election next year.

Yep and it's a very dangerous time for FG

FF will be ready to pull the rug out from under them as soon as they see a chance to and will claim the high moral ground.

Yes, that's the same FF that wrecked the country a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The budget will be the deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

As a matter of interest, how many of newly elected FF TD's were in government at the lead up to the crash?
    Or have most of them retired?

As a matter of interest, how many of newly elected FF TD's were in government at the lead up to the crash?

Most have retired, I'd imagine there are very few but I don't have the numbers.

Martin, who was front a center of FF governments from about 2002 to 2011 is still the leader of course.

• Advertisement

According to the link below 21 of FFs 44 TDs are first time TDs.

So just over half the FF TDs were around pre 2011.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-election-2016-performance-analysis-ge16-2634557-Mar2016/

FG have tacitly supported FF in Cathaoirleach vote, so FF have got something.

They'll now agree a set of broad issues and some sort of a timeline for delivery and then support a minority FG Government from the opposition - reverse Tallaght. This, they feel will give them the option of pulling the plug when they think it best suits them but can anyone be sure how the people will vote next time around?

people voting for FG, FF and Labour voted for them to be in office, possibly the same for many of the Independents and SD's( however unrealistic it might be in their cases). People voting for SF were hoping they would get enough votes to be at least the majority party in any coalition - they were the only party who made it clear the that they would not go into Government as a minority party supporting any other one.

ps This was FF's second WORST election ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

As I see it FF holds the sword of Damocles over FG and the Independents. FF can refuse to prop up a minority govt as they have already demonstrated. FG will now get some members of smaller parties and some Independents on side. FF while not supporting the minority Gov't will be in a position to ensure that the minority Gov't will not fail until FF is ready to bring it down. It would appear that Mario Draghi is making a last desperate throw of the dice by introducing Negative Interest Rate Policy (NIRP) to replace Zero Interest Rate Policy (ZIRP). At best the chances are 50 50 that the economy will improve. If the economy shows signs of improving then FF will pull the plug early. If the economy deteriorates FF will hold back as public dissatisfaction with FG and the smaller parties and Independents grows. This could take 3 to 5 years.
    The fractured nature of Irish politics reflects the divided nature of the people. We have the traditionalists FF and FG, the nationalists SF, the narrow interest groups, the opportunists Independents. What is lacking is a Consensus on any party operating for the common good. Until a consensus is reached, and only the voters can bring this about, Ireland will suffer further economic set backs. I suggest you join a Party and ensure that only people who are knowledgeable and show a propensity to operate for the common good are nominated to run for the Dail. We have a lot of fine, lovely and honest people now in the Dail who are fixated on catering to the lowest common denominator. No water charges, no property taxes, no wealth taxes, low to no corporate taxes, reduced income taxes, Church dominated school systems, TDs' whose main function is to run errands for their constituents that should be handled by Civil Service clerks. In Ireland the politicians are deathly afraid to stand up and state what is wrong and how it will be corrected. So the public continues to be fed pap which they seem to be quite contented with. To put it another way the politicians have read us and are responding to what they see as being our concerns. Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose, and not only in Ireland although we should know better.

Seems things panned out as expected on the first day of the new Dail.

Tis with great woe I observe our political bodies become embroiled in a pseudo battle of party morals. There is no high ground when we choose the interests of the few over the many. We no longer need clan politics in this country, we need politicians to put aside their inbred party beliefs and to unify in support of the greater good.

Alas it seems we are destined to be forced to watch the full political circus over the coming weeks. A minority government would be a farce, and to do so shows political contempt for their electorate. We have endured the party mandate hypocrisy too often in this country, its time to observed the national mandate (a solid government operating in the full interest of its people to provide economic growth and stability).

Another election I feel would not bring enough change to the political landscape to avoid the inevitable coalition (or this foolish minority debacle.)

Time can be everything and nothing - don't waste ours.

Now would be a good time to remind everyone of the present situation in Greece.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/206401/article/ekathimerini/news/new-democracy-builds-big-poll-lead-over-syriza

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Ireland you have failed. Still in the clutches of the self serving elites of the civil war parties.

What a sad spectral this is.

Your biggest failure was the surge in support for FF. This bunch of turgid liars and double dealers are now free to go to bed with the "other side" as soon as they see the time is right. On that other side isn't it so appropriate that the country's second most prominent traitor, (after Peter Sutherland) the member for Dublin Bay North, Richard Bruton has been chosen to find the words today to introduce the idea that maybe FF can be tolerated as a co-conspirator in government.

After a period of snapping and snarling the two competing packs of wolves, forced to live together, will emerge like a choir of angels, all singing the same tune. Up the TTIP.

The heroes of 1916 would be disgusted by the true nature of this final chapter of the civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

mbur wrote: »
    Ireland you have failed. Still in the clutches of the self serving elites of the civil war parties.

What a sad spectral this is.

Your biggest failure was the surge in support for FF. This bunch of turgid liars and double dealers are now free to go to bed with the "other side" as soon as they see the time is right. On that other side isn't it so appropriate that the country's second most prominent traitor, (after Peter Sutherland) the member for Dublin Bay North, Richard Bruton has been chosen to find the words today to introduce the idea that maybe FF can be tolerated as a co-conspirator in government.

After a period of snapping and snarling the two competing packs of wolves, forced to live together, will emerge like a choir of angels, all singing the same tune. Up the TTIP.

The heroes of 1916 would be disgusted by the true nature of this final chapter of the civil war.

They're both as bad as each other.
    History has, and will show us that

Their both centre right-right wing parties. It's hardly surprising and considering how the far left in Ireland is always around the corner looking for excuses to pull down a gvt the expected attempt to form unlikely partnerships with independents was always likely.

They have no respect for the electorate

FG or FF rainbow coalition, minority government what a load of bs - Survival of any such minority government would require a new way of doing politics - something they are not capable of.

What have they achieved since being elected apart from displaying there utter incompetence. The only solution which could provide any chance of stability is a grand coalition.

At least the social democrats are not facilitating such minority bs by not supporting either FG/FF.

What next - another election in the summer - followed by some more irresponsible antics before they finally form the government they should be forming now. In the meanwhile our country is left in a state of flux for the foreseeable future.

Typical..............

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to remind everyone of the present situation in Greece.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/206401/article/ekathimerini/news/new-democracy-builds-big-poll-lead-over-syriza

The above statement has been bugging me and I'd like to ask the author:- Why look at that train wreck? Are you so down-trodden and depressed that you can't wish for something better for your country?

What we actually have here is a unique chance to make some real changes to our political system without any of the violence that usually goes with such changes.

There is a functioning democracy where four disparate parties have been sharing power for 60 years. Why not take a closer look at Switzerland?

Now I wouldn't expect much from FF and FG. But I am disgusted by the left's lack of vision or ambition at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The above statement has been bugging me and I'd like to ask the author:- Why look at that train wreck? Are you so down-trodden and depressed that you can't wish for something better for your country?

What we actually have here is a unique chance to make some real changes to our political system without any of the violence that usually goes with such changes.

There is a functioning democracy where four disparate parties have been sharing power for 60 years. Why not take a closer look at Switzerland?

Now I wouldn't expect much from FF and FG. But I am disgusted by the left's lack of vision or ambition at this point.
    Greece, yes let's laugh at them.

We have them to blame for democracy after all

Don't cash cheques you can't bank. Keeping the economy going strong is the best way to pay back the taxpayer. One don't have to look at Greece for that. France is also in a bad way with excessive debt.

No wonder FF bankrupt the country.

It has taken then nearly 7 weeks to realise that 50 is greater than 43.

Alas it is all about ambition and arrogance now, one man striving for history.

Politicians never seems to observe the fallibility of their plans, consumed by the prospect of power. I wonder how long it takes for the lines to blur between fulfilling your promises to the electorate and pursuing blindly your own goals.

The sad thing is we have to sit and watch this pointless charade which will only lead to one result a re-election, whether in June or in a year if they push through this minority government fiasco. In the meantime we sit and watch people become homeless, hospital waiting lists being extended and the public sector take liberties when the cats away.......

Lets give it a chance.
    Wait and see which Independents sign up.

Interesting days ahead.

FF have given up on the notion of leading a minority government, their ultimatum to the independents did not exactly work.

So they say they will support a FG minority, but without any written agreement.
    FG on the other hand say a written agreement is necessary.
    Which tallies with what I have always suspected, FF will pull support as soon as the poll numbers suggest they can gain from an election.

Hopefully that will never happen.

Advertisement