Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Audio Upgrade Recommendations

• 27-02-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my built in car stereo to something more functional- to include USB, aux cable, bluetooth etc so I can play music from my phone.

Any recommendations on who/ where to go in Limerick to get this done? (I read on here a while back that Des Kennedy has closed up shop) I would need to get it fitted as well.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I hate to say it, but.....Halfords ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

It's looking like my only option really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try Carcom on Henry Street, they mainly install car alarms and handsfree kits but may well do stereos also. Worth a shot asking them anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't leave Halford's anywhere near my car's electronics.

Are you willing to travel? Regular poster in motors called bmstuff (I think) is an artist when it comes to proper professional car audio upgrades. I'm no stranger to car audio upgrades myself (the electrical side of things) and more than happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Bought this Kenwood stereo in Halfords, very happy with it, works a treat with my iPhone 6s.

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/kenwood-dpx-406dab-double-din-digital-radio-with-bluetooth-hands-free

Installed it in my 05 VW Polo. Got Mel Kennedy out in Slaters Garage Thomondgate to do the fit, nice tidy job. You can ring him on 087 238 3068.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Thanks all for the recommendations. Yes I'd be willing to travel for someone who knew what they were doing. I'll check out all of the above anyway and hopefully will get sorted. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but.....Halfords ?

Don't go to Halfords. I had a radio like the one the OP is describing being installed by them, a relatively easy job I could have attemped myself but said I'd leave it to the 'experts' - yer man managed to wire it wrong (there were literally about 3 wires to sort) and ended up getting all sorts of noises from the radio about a month later. Brought it to Des Kennedy's brother (Mel?) and he was roaring laughing at what yer man had maanged to do - really basic stuff.

Same fella in Halfords sold me the wrong bulb for my car too after I told him the make and model and he looked in the book in front of me. Dope!

Dunno if Mel is still operating as this was a few years ago but he was just down off King John's bridge on the Thomond Park side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

If you have an Aux socket ... something like this will do the job

Belkin bluetooth connector for music

You need not go messing with the head unit

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Yep Mel is still there, did my job after Christmas.

Advertisement