Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace washing machine?

Options
  • 27-02-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I live in a house split into six flats, there's a share washing machine between the 7 people living here. The washing machine was replaced this week and the landlord is looking for €100 from each of us. Are we obligated to pay the money? He said its wrecked from people overloading, I doubt he's lying about this so fair enough but if that's the case he will expect us to fork out again because I've seen how people use the machine. He also has a coin machine so we pay two euro every time it's used. Should we pay the €100?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't a washing machine certainly didn't cost him €700

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I know that plus I reckon others won't pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lux23 wrote: »
    I know that plus I reckon others won't pay it.

Either way he's responsible for maintaince of the property ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If someone did damage it from overloading, then I would think you are responsible for it. This purchase wasnt maintenance. It was beyond general wear and tear. But if the machine was a cheap British one, that was 10 years old. It was beyond its responsible life

I wouldnt pay him for the simple reason it is coin operated. The money is making from the washing machine should cover the cost of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The landlord is responsible for providing a washing machine. He is also charging for the use of it separate to the rent. No way would I give him €100 towards the cost of replacement. He can also write the cost off against his tax bill. He's a chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

A coin machine you pay per use, I reckon the landlord is responsible.

It sounds like an unusual set up

He says it is but it's registered as a 6 bedroom house, not a 6 flats. He freely admitted that we legally don't have to pay it. My partner wants to but it's pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

He says it is but it's registered as a 6 bedroom house, not a 6 flats. He freely admitted that we legally don't have to pay it. My partner wants to but it's pissing me off.

Under no circumstances should you pay, this guy is a chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 82,709 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the coins to use if it's just used once a day for a year he will get back nearly €1500 and will also have the €700 from you lot, very profitable for him.

Is he registed with the PRTB?

Our tenancy isn't registered. We never got a letter anyway.

• Advertisement

I suppose I can't report without him knowing it was me? Well for definite anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

kceire wrote: »
    It cannot be registered in a house that's legally split into 6 flats.

Why can't it be registered?

April 73 wrote: »
    The landlord is responsible for providing a washing machine. He is also charging for the use of it separate to the rent. No way would I give him €100 towards the cost of replacement. He can also write the cost off against his tax bill. He's a chancer.

If the machine was broken due to mis use, the landlord can charge for replacing it or refuse to replace it if he can prove that mis use was the cause of damage. However, for €600 or €700 I would be expecting an indiutrial grade machine!

That is one side of it, I do think it was misused but the machine he got is not a particular good and I reckon its second hand. Like I don't necessarily mind paying the €100 but he was so aggressive and rude about it. Plus there's so many things about the place that is below standard, we don't have anywhere to store rubbish. There's mice and probably rats too. We have no heating in the bedroom and the wiring is pretty dodgy.

It's just depressing because we can't really afford anything better even though we both have full time jobs as we are trying to get our mortgage deposit together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

If its supposed to be divided in to six separate flats, and not a house share, he is supposed to supply you with your own separate washing machine.

Not only that, but if he hasn't supplied a place to dry clothes specific to your flat, he is supposed to supply you with your own tumble dryer.

With no controllable (by the tenant) heating device for the bedroom and no bin supplied, your flat does not meet the minimum requirements for a rental accommodation under the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

That is one side of it, I do think it was misused but the machine he got is not a particular good and I reckon its second hand. Like I don't necessarily mind paying the €100 but he was so aggressive and rude about it. Plus there's so many things about the place that is below standard, we don't have anywhere to store rubbish. There's mice and probably rats too. We have no heating in the bedroom and the wiring is pretty dodgy.

It's just depressing because we can't really afford anything better even though we both have full time jobs as we are trying to get our mortgage deposit together.

I wouldn't pay as it doesn't comply with regulations and you probably aren't registered with PRTB. Landord pulling a fast one.

And I agree with everything Boater said in previous post.

Plus if you don't mind me asking, if the place is as bad as you described, how much rent you paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Boater123 wrote: »
    If its supposed to be divided in to six separate flats, and not a house share, he is supposed to supply you with your own separate washing machine.

Not only that, but if he hasn't supplied a place to dry clothes specific to your flat, he is supposed to supply you with your own tumble dryer

That's wrong. He/she only needs to provide you with access to them. A communal washing machine is perfectly acceptable and satisfies the current regulations. The same applies to a tumble dryer, if it does exist and there's no access to outside space

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

garhjw wrote: »
    If the machine was broken due to mis use, the landlord can charge for replacing it or refuse to replace it if he can prove that mis use was the cause of damage. However, for €600 or €700 I would be expecting an indiutrial grade machine!

There are six separate people using it - so very difficult to prove misuse. It's part of the cost of being a landlord.

I wonder what brand & model it was? I suspect it's not a top of the range industrial one.

OP if I were you I would just refuse to contribute.

Punkyblip wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay as it doesn't comply with regulations and you probably aren't registered with PRTB. Landord pulling a fast one.

And I agree with everything Boater said in previous post.

Plus if you don't mind me asking, if the place is as bad as you described, how much rent you paying?

Its 180 a week. Anyway I said to my partner that we will put in writing what we want brought up to standard and give the landlord two weeks to sort it out. If he doesn't do it, Il open a dispute with the PRTB. He lets himself into our flat whenever it suits him and our rent is paid in cash so I'm just sick of it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

I bet fire safety is another problem. This landlord gives the rest a bad name. He should be reported to PRTB and revenue. The washing machine is his problem. It should be an industrial machine for so many users.

• Advertisement

That's wrong. He/she only needs to provide you with access to them. A communal washing machine is perfectly acceptable and satisfies the current regulations. The same applies to a tumble dryer, if it does exist and there's no access to outside space

You would be correct if it was a shared house. This is supposed to be 6 separate flats, so 6 separate tenancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Unfortunately there are many landlords like him operating in the grey/black market renting out substandard and dangerous properties because they can get away with it in the current climate. I know of a few and I won't report them because if I did people would end up homeless.

On no account pay the €100.

People will always overload coin operated machines, what does he expect when he's charging a small fortune to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

You would be correct if it was a shared house. This is supposed to be 6 separate flats, so 6 separate tenancies.

No I'm not. Show me the legislation that states this is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Exactly

"Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility
    within the curtilage of the building,"

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Its 180 a week. Anyway I said to my partner that we will put in writing what we want brought up to standard and give the landlord two weeks to sort it out. If he doesn't do it, Il open a dispute with the PRTB. He lets himself into our flat whenever it suits him and our rent is paid in cash so I'm just sick of it at this stage.

So, you are paying, what, less than €750 a month for a flat in Dublin? What were you expecting? What do you expect will happen when you open a dispute with PRTB? Do you think the LL will magically conform to standards whilst you still have a roof over your head, and continue to charge you rock bottom rent?

I'm not siding with the LL, who sounds like a slumlord. I'm just saying to think carefully about the consequences of lodging a complaint over a washing machine. If you are happy to move out - which you might be forced to do if all the flats are found not to confirm with regulations - then why aren't you just looking to move now?

It's easy for anonymous people on a forum to tell you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

No way would I pay it and shame on the person above saying what do you expect for that kind of money. That is why the rent market is how it is and why people get away with sub standard letting.
    Your landlord sounds like a bully. Fair enough not good If someone broke it but if he is clearing that kind of money off the 6 sublets he can well afford a new machine, especially given he is charging by the load too. Greedy f*****r

S.I. No. 534 of 2008

These Regulations require landlords of rented houses (including flats and
    maisonettes)

(2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable
    area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:

(g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility
    within the curtilage of the building, and
    (h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive
    use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

"access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, " pertains to a house share.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

S.I. No. 534 of 2008

maisonettes)

"access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, " pertains to a house share.

Sorry, but no, there are many apartment complexes with shared laundry facilities and they are not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

S.I. No. 534 of 2008

maisonettes)

You're reading that completely incorrectly

• Advertisement

S.I. No. 534 of 2008

maisonettes)

You just proved yourself incorrect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement