Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace washing machine?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please take it to PM if you wish to continue this argument

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So, you are paying, what, less than €750 a month for a flat in Dublin? What were you expecting? What do you expect will happen when you open a dispute with PRTB? Do you think the LL will magically conform to standards whilst you still have a roof over your head, and continue to charge you rock bottom rent?

I'm not siding with the LL, who sounds like a slumlord. I'm just saying to think carefully about the consequences of lodging a complaint over a washing machine. If you are happy to move out - which you might be forced to do if all the flats are found not to confirm with regulations - then why aren't you just looking to move now?

It's easy for anonymous people on a forum to tell you what to do.

It's essentially a bedsit so we could probably get something similar for less money. But you kinda see the bind I'm in, we are saving for a mortgage deposit so the low rent is why we are here. We could get a bigger and better place but that might add another year to our wait to buy. You're quite right though, we could end up having to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Don't be a walk-over but don't burn your bridges with the LL either. Even with the faults you have a reason to stay there as it's helping your long-term plans to save. I lived in plenty of dives before I managed to buy my own place.
    Try & have a conversation about the essentials that need to be done & tell him why you are not willing to contribute to the washing machine. I wouldn't burn bridges just yet by threatening the PRTB.

In an ideal world nobody would need to threaten the PRTB for anything but it's not an ideal world out there. You have to be pragmatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

So, you are paying, what, less than €750 a month for a flat in Dublin? What were you expecting? What do you expect will happen when you open a dispute with PRTB? Do you think the LL will magically conform to standards whilst you still have a roof over your head, and continue to charge you rock bottom rent?

€180 x 4 x 6 = €4,320 rent per month for one house ......... you're right, the LL is practically running a charity!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

With the coins to use if it's just used once a day for a year he will get back nearly €1500 and will also have the €700 from you lot, very profitable for him.

€2 per wash - your calculator needs a new battery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

MadDog76 wrote: »
    €180 x 4 x 6 = €4,320 rent per month for one house ......... you're right, the LL is practically running a charity!!! :rolleyes:

There's no need for the rollie eyes.

Why is it hard to accept that the OP could be hard pressed getting rent at that rate anywhere else in Dublin. I'm not taking the landlords side. I'm just saying that the OP should be careful about going into something with all guns blazing when they might find themselves looking for somewhere new to live, at double the rent. I'm sure they'll appreciate your rollie eyes then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Leave the modding to the mods please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

He's certainly raking it in alright, he's always off on holidays!! We are going to pay the €100 because my boyfriend thinks he definitely overloaded the machine (he does the washing for the most part). I talked to one of the other guys who rents downstairs and he told him to f**k off. He's here years though so he's probably not likely to get him to move out.

Lux23 wrote: »
    He's certainly raking it in alright, he's always off on holidays!! We are going to pay the €100 because my boyfriend thinks he definitely overloaded the machine (he does the washing for the most part). I talked to one of the other guys who rents downstairs and he told him to f**k off. He's here years though so he's probably not likely to get him to move out.

I wouldn't be so quick to pay. If he is looking for €100 from each flat, is he forking out €700 for a super duper, top of the range washing machine, in which case it might be worth it just to bite the bullet and pay. Or is he going to get the cheapest thing he can pick up in Power City and pocket the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

In your first post Lux23 you said the machine had been replaced. What make & model has the LL put in?

I think your boyfriend is remarkably generous. Overloading tends to result in the bearings going or the drum detaching. Is this what happened?

If the LL expects tenants to replace his white goods when they break down then I don't see why you also need to pay per use.

He can't get you to move out because you refuse to pay this money. I really think he is taking advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

April 73 wrote: »

If the LL expects tenants to replace his white goods when they break down then I don't see why you also need to pay per use.

He can't get you to move out because you refuse to pay this money. I really think he is taking advantage.

Exactly, what's the per use charge going towards if not for maintenance and upkeep of machine..then the landlord asks for more money

He's taking the p£$$ OP and you'd be a fool to pay the landlord himself told you you don't have to
    He says it is but it's registered as a 6 bedroom house, not a 6 flats. He freely admitted that we legally don't have to pay it. My partner wants to but it's pissing me off.

You boyfriend seems determined to be ripped off

I have absolutely no idea why ye have even given it any thought, there is no way on earth id hand over a cent to the LL.

Exactly, what's the per use charge going towards if not for maintenance and upkeep of machine..then the landlord asks for more money

I presume it's also covering the cost of electricity to run the machine. The users should be paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ok so why are you paying the landlord?
    He's supposed to supply a machine. If he's scamming like he is then he should've supplied an industrial machine.
    Did he show you a written engineers report stating that the machine was broken due to misuse or overloading?
    Is it not illegal to charge you for using a machine that he's supposed to already supply, when you're already paying the electricity bill??
    A some poster rightly said, your boyfriend seems like he's determined to get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is it not illegal to charge you for using a machine that he's supposed to already supply, when you're already paying the electricity bill??
    A some poster rightly said, your boyfriend seems like he's determined to get ripped off

No, it is not illegal.

The LL has to supply access to a machine. In some cases, the cost of this is charged per use, rather than included in the rent.

I think the boyfriend simply has a realistic approach to the situation and the alternatives that the OP has.

No, it is not illegal.

The LL has to supply access to a machine. In some cases, the cost of this is charged per use, rather than included in the rent.

I think the boyfriend simply has a realistic approach to the situation and the alternatives that the OP has.

What alternatives has the landlord have? He has to provide a machine.

and OP next time he lets himself in to your flat without notice, call the gardas and report him for breaking and entering.

this landlord is a joke

Edit: OP if you could clarify if this pay per use charge is in lieu of an electricity bill

No, it is not illegal.

That's crazy. So he is allowed to charge them for using the Machine, let the pay for the electricity for using the machine and then expect them to pay for the maintenance or a new machine?

That's crazy. So he is allowed to charge them for using the Machine, let the pay for the electricity for using the machine and then expect them to pay for the maintenance or a new machine?

Nah, even the landlord said they didn't legally have to pay for maintenance/replacement/100euroscamcharge

@ OP, what new make/model did the landlord supply ?

Well in fairness if the washing machine is in a communal area then it's most likely not being supplied by the electricity of the op as why would the op's bill be covering the cost of the machine and not the other tenants bills.

It's most likely that the bill for the machine is covered by the LL and while the LL is chancing his arm asking for money towards the machine it's fair enough that it's pay per use to cover the esb.

On the point of him letting himself in, maybe the op can clarify if they mean into their actual apartment or into the communal areas of the building as I don't see much problem with him entering communal areas, in fact he should be expected to enter them to check on various things.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt this cheapskate landlord has 2 seperate ESB meters. Maybe the op coujd clear up a few things for us? What replacement machine? Seperaye meters for each room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

That is one side of it, I do think it was misused but the machine he got is not a particular good and I reckon its second hand. Like I don't necessarily mind paying the €100 but he was so aggressive and rude about it. Plus there's so many things about the place that is below standard, we don't have anywhere to store rubbish. There's mice and probably rats too. We have no heating in the bedroom and the wiring is pretty dodgy.

It's just depressing because we can't really afford anything better even though we both have full time jobs as we are trying to get our mortgage deposit together.

What area is this in? Dublin?
    Punkyblip wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay as it doesn't comply with regulations and you probably aren't registered with PRTB. Landord pulling a fast one.

And I agree with everything Boater said in previous post.

Plus if you don't mind me asking, if the place is as bad as you described, how much rent you paying?

I was going to ask this? I saw 180 a week being mentioned? Is this total for 2 Op? And do you have bills on top of that? As I'd expect, just wondering if anything is included?
    MadDog76 wrote: »

Where you getting the 4? Unless the landlord is only charging for 4 weeks which I suspect not? Works out at 780 a month nth as far as I can tell.

cerastes wrote: »

I was going to ask this? I saw 180 a week being mentioned? Is this total for 2 Op? And do you have bills on top of that? As I'd expect, just wondering if anything is included?

Where you getting the 4? Unless the landlord is only charging for 4 weeks which I suspect not? Works out at 780 a month nth as far as I can tell.

180 X 4 weeks X 6 rooms

cerastes wrote: »

180/week for the flat
    4/weeks /month approx
    6 flats/house

landlord taking over 4000/month for whole house, I presume are the calculations the poster used

180/week for the flat
    4/weeks /month approx
    6 flats/house

landlord taking over 4000/month for whole house, I presume are the calculations the poster used
    Near 50k a year. Nice

What alternatives has the landlord have? He has to provide a machine.

and OP next time he lets himself in to your flat without notice, call the gardas and report him for breaking and entering.

this landlord is a joke

Edit: OP if you could clarify if this pay per use charge is in lieu of an electricity bill

Call the Gardai? Are you serious? Why does it have to escalate?

And why wouldn't the OP have a separate electricity bill? It's not just the washing machine that uses electricity

Near 50k a year. Nice

And this is of relevance how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

180 X 4 weeks X 6 rooms

There's more than 4 weeks in every month.
    It's £180 / 7 days =£ 25,71 per day, x 30.4 =£781.71 monthly.
    Average days in the month is 30.4. Gotten by 365 days /12 months =30.4

Near 50k a year. Nice

plus washing machine money @ 2 euro a wash, each flat doing 2 washes / week is another 1200 or so
    Call the Gardai? Are you serious? Why does it have to escalate?

And why wouldn't the OP have a separate electricity bill? It's not just the washing machine that uses electricity

what right has a landlord to let himself in to the flat?

• Advertisement

what right has a landlord to let himself in to the flat?

Sigh. None. But why go nuclear when one can just discuss with the LL? Threatening to go to the Gardai is just silly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement