Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace washing machine?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Sigh. None. But why go nuclear when one can just discuss with the LL? Threatening to go to the Gardai is just silly

no, being a landlord of 6 apartments and pretending not to know your responsibilities is silly. Expecting peaceful enjoyment of the home you are renting is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    180 X 4 weeks X 6 rooms

I'm saying that a calculation of 4 weeks is silly, more like weekly amount by 52/12 gives you your monthly amount, especially if paying weekly anyway, maybe the OP can confirm, needless to say it seems odd to be asked to contribute to a washing machine, but if there was damage, then its likely it could be deducted from deposits, having said that, what was the washing machine, if some good brand and it was abused, then its probably reasonable if it's been genuinely misused, if it's cheap with that much usage, I'd expect it to last no more than 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And this is of relevance how?

No relevance. Just stating its a shjt load of money for a years rent for one property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

No relevance. Just stating its a shjt load of money for a years rent for one property

People were saying not long back in the thread that it's not one property, its a tidy sum but less than what 6 properties would fetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Near 50k a year. Nice

A fair bit in maintenance, property tax, advertising, insurance etc.

And half of what's left would go in tax.

May not be anything like the lucrative little earner that you're thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

cerastes wrote: »
    Where you getting the 4? Unless the landlord is only charging for 4 weeks which I suspect not? Works out at 780 a month nth as far as I can tell.

It's €180 per week so about €4,680 in total each month.

housetypeb wrote: »
    There's more than 4 weeks in every month.
    It's £180 / 7 days =£ 25,71 per day, x 30.4 =£781.71 monthly.
    Average days in the month is 30.4. Gotten by 365 days /12 months =30.4

Ok, let's use the €180 per week rent more accurately then to see how much the LL is getting ........

€180 x 6 rooms x 52 weeks per year divided by 12 to give an average monthly rent amount ........ that equals ........ jesus, it's worse than I thought!! This LL is getting €4,680 rent per month for one house!! :eek:

In cash too so possibly tax free!!!

Near 50k a year. Nice

More like €56,160 in cash ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Ok, let's use the €180 per week rent more accurately then to see how much the LL is getting ........

€180 x 6 rooms x 52 weeks per year divided by 12 to give an average monthly rent amount ........ that equals ........ jesus, it's worse than I thought!! This LL is getting €4,680 rent per month for one house!! :eek:

In cash too so possibly tax free!!!

not forgetting the 12.5% he can claim annually on his tenants new washing machine

A fair bit in maintenance, property tax, advertising, insurance etc.

And half of what's left would go in tax.

May not be anything like the lucrative little earner that you're thinking.

The LL is hitting up the Tenants to pay for maintenance it would seem .......

The rent is paid in cash and the Op doesn't believe they are registered with the PRTB so it could be a great BIG earner for the LL .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Even if the €2 is for electricity, less than 50c of it should cover that. At two washes a day that leaves over a grand a year to cover maintenance or replacement machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Don't know what's going on here lately but the inability of some posters to stay on topic in this forum appears to be contagious. Please no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

with that many separate people using (and presumably overloading) it he should be installing a heavy duty coin operated machine of the type found on campsites etc: http://www.miele-professional.ie/ie/prof/product/33_15447.htm

MadDog76 wrote: »

You would swear he has divided a 3 bed terraced house into 6 apartments the way some are losing the run of themselves here. Its obviously a massive house and more comparable to owning 6 apartments than owning a house. That's what the rent should be compared with not with a single house. Of course you need to be taking in that sort of money if you are renting 6 properties.

Its much less then you would be getting if you were renting 6 apartments but obviously much more than renting a standard house, it fits somewhere in the middle and considering there are plenty of 3 bed apartments asking up around 2k I don't see how one building housing 7 people is in anyway crazy taking in 4.6k per month before tax (we have no idea if he is or isn't paying tax so its irrelevant really for this comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

You would swear he has divided a 3 bed terraced house into 6 apartments the way some are losing the run of themselves here. Its obviously a massive house and more comparable to owning 6 apartments than owning a house. That's what the rent should be compared with not with a single house. Of course you need to be taking in that sort of money if you are renting 6 properties.

Its much less then you would be getting if you were renting 6 apartments but obviously much more than renting a standard house, it fits somewhere in the middle and considering there are plenty of 3 bed apartments asking up around 2k I don't see how one building housing 7 people is in anyway crazy taking in 4.6k per month before tax (we have no idea if he is or isn't paying tax so its irrelevant really for this comparison)

This isn't an improbable situation given the state of the rental market in Dublin these days. The OP said they are living in bedsit type accommodation while they are saving for a place of their own. I know of people paying €600 in cash for an attic room (velux window, low ceiling but no other windows) and having to traipse downstairs to a shower room. This is illegal and the place is a fire hazard. What can they do about it? Nothing because it is almost impossible to find rental accommodation in Dublin at the moment particularly in that area (city centre).

I still think the OP and her bf should not pay the €100. Don't be in a hurry to pay it anyway. If nobody else in the house pays why should they?

Emme wrote: »

I still think the OP and her bf should not pay the €100. Don't be in a hurry to pay it anyway. If nobody else in the house pays why should they?

Oh I fully agree on that, the op should not pay anything towards the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ok, I will do this in bullet points.

1. Each flat has it's own meter, but the washing machine runs off the landlord's communal electricity bill.
    2. There is a coin operated system so we put two euro in that maybe once a week and get a couple of washes out of it (in fairness I don't think he's making much on that)
    3. The new machine is Bosch and the labels on it are in Russian (very useful in a house in Dublin 8), the old one had a problem with the bearings so that would probably mean it was overloaded.
    4. It's a large terraced house split into 6 flats, it would have had maybe three bedrooms but there is now an extension out the back where one tenant lives. We live in a converted attic space.
    5. The rent is collected weekly, its paid in cash, we have a rent book.
    6. The landlord is supposed to collect it at 7pm on a Friday so we agreed he could let himself if we weren't there at that time only. This rarely happens and unless we have the key in the door, he has a tendency to let himself in and has walked into our bedroom while my partner was sleeping (he works nights).

So on balance, I don't mind paying the €100 because it was probably not the usual wear and tear, but it's all the other stuff on top of this which is upsetting me. My partner is very pragmatic in that he wants to keep on good terms with the landlord because we really need to save for a mortgage. But I think we would struggle to get a mortgage if we can't prove how much rent we pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lux23 wrote: »
    But I think we would struggle to get a mortgage if we can't prove how much rent we pay.

is the rent book not proof?

loyatemu wrote: »

Not according to the three mortgage brokers and two banks I have consulted with, you need electronic proof these days.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/information/buying-v-renting-hints-and-tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

loyatemu wrote: »

Any old schumck can get a book from Easons and write numbers in it, alternating between blue and black pens so it's not obviously written all at once. Proves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No way would I pay it and shame on the person above saying what do you expect for that kind of money. That is why the rent market is how it is and why people get away with sub standard letting.
    Your landlord sounds like a bully. Fair enough not good If someone broke it but if he is clearing that kind of money off the 6 sublets he can well afford a new machine, especially given he is charging by the load too. Greedy f*****r
    Add your reply here.

I missed the bit where his outgoings were stated... just so we are clear on what hes "clearing"

Any old schumck can get a book from Easons and write numbers in it, alternating between blue and black pens so it's not obviously written all at once. Proves nothing.

Surely the money being withdrawn in the same amount every week/month around the same day along with the rent book shows you are paying rent.

Alternatively you could set up another account yourself and transfer the money into it and withdraw it from that to pay the LL. Just name it so it says rent and don't mention the account is yours when going for a mortgage.

Cash is legal tender and a legitimate way to pay rent, banks really should have to accept people pay rent in this way.

Nox, banks will not accept that. Anyway we wouldn't necessarily take out the same money each week and from the same account. Plus a landlord has no legitimate excuse for demanding the rent is paid in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Right, since you clearly can't stay on topic, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement