Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accidental spoiled vote?

• 27-02-2016 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm Galway West, and we had 20 candidates here. After coming out of the polling station, my mum realised that she made a mistake while filling the form out to the end, she must have doubled up a number somewhere, because after filling in the whole sheet, her last number was 19 :confused::rolleyes:

Does that spoil the vote? Say she voted for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc and accidentaly put in two number 12s or something, (which is what must have happened, because she had her first five well planned out) would the numbers up to the doubled one count or would the whole thing be rendered spoiled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

It'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You/ Your mom does know you don't have to rate every candidate in order of preference in fact If you really only like 1 candidate you can just put 1 next to that candidates name.
    After 5th or 6th preference if not earlier your preference become less and less redundant.
    It becomes a race to the bottom, who want to vote like that. My understanding is that it will have only become a spoiled vote if she had a duplicate number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'd say they will count the votes down to the duplicate number; which is probably going yo be irrelevant anyway. It will be up to the officer in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

After 5th or 6th preference if not earlier your preference become less and less redundant

Surely you mean more and more redundant, or less and less important?

Don't worry OP, your mother's vote will count fine for the first few numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

If there are two number 12s, I think they will accept the first 11 preferences and not allowed it to transfer further. There's some room for manoeuvre. All down to the returning officer and election agents who will have a meeting to discuss the spoiled votes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You/ Your mom does know you don't have to rate every candidate in order of preference in fact If you really only like 1 candidate you can just put 1 next to that candidates name.
    After 5th or 6th preference if not earlier your preference become less and less redundant.
    It becomes a race to the bottom, who want to vote like that. My understanding is that it will have only become a spoiled vote if she had a duplicate number.

Presume you meant 'more and more' redundant!

But anyhow i think that as the votes are transferred then maybe consider it like comparing someone (person A) who voted as far as no. 10 but the OP's mom voted to no. 11.
    Then by transfers (if it applies!), wouldnt the no. 11 (OP's Ma) candidate have more to gain than the no. 11 candidate who got no vote from the person A who stopped at 10?
    This is what I was taught anyway.. if you want to keep someone out then vote for everyone else down the list (and hope all other like minded voters do the same!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Surely you mean more and more redundant, or less and less important?

Don't worry OP, your mother's vote will count fine for the first few numbers

That's what i meant alright.
    Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Presume you meant 'more and more' redundant!

But anyhow i think that as the votes are transferred then maybe consider it like comparing someone (person A) who voted as far as no. 10 but the OP's mom voted to no. 11.
    Then by transfers (if it applies!), wouldnt the no. 11 (OP's Ma) candidate have more to gain than the no. 11 candidate who got no vote from the person A who stopped at 10?
    This is what I was taught anyway.. if you want to keep someone out then vote for everyone else down the list (and hope all other like minded voters do the same!).

Same as above :P, no idea on the transferable vote point. Whatever the case. The validity or otherwise of it can't be changed now. I am no wiser on the operational guidelines for determining what is a spoiled vote or otherwise.

Advertisement